Very low score

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
HopefulGradStudent

Very low score

Post by HopefulGradStudent » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:46 am

Do I have any shot at a top 20, 30, or 40 school with a MGRE 36th percentile? This is a serious bummer :( I thought worst case scenario I scored at least 50th percentile.

I have five semesters and a summer of undergrad research experience with a professor, but we haven't submitted the paper for publishment, so I don't even know if my research experience is advantageous or a joke. 3.76 GPA from a school anyone out of state hasn't heard of. One or two strong rec letters and one or two good rec letters, but the professors aren't very active researchers themselves. Dang.. I'm not going to be happy doing anything other than math, but I was really hoping to not have to go to a safety school.

Mathwhiz25

Re: Very low score

Post by Mathwhiz25 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:46 am

I would try applying to the top 75 or top 100. You can learn anywhere. The reality is that some universities do focus on applicants having scores on the test, although it doesn't necessarily show your true ability. Don't be intimidated by those who have extremely high scores either. Some of them retake the test several times to get high scores and I have heard of cheating going on in some places.

MathCat

Re: Very low score

Post by MathCat » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:50 pm

You could also consider doing a masters first. Many masters programs do not require mGRE scores, or their standards are much lower. Or, if you are willing to go abroad, most international schools do not require the GRE. International tuition at a Canadian university is less than tuition at almost any American school (usually less than $10k CAD per year).