Prep Course?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
heineborel

Prep Course?

Post by heineborel » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:38 pm

Does anyone know about a good prep course for the test?
The score is really important so i want to be ready....

arctanX

Re: Prep Course?

Post by arctanX » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:44 pm

When I studied for Oct-2014 I could not find a decent prep course (and I looked for one).
Last edited by arctanX on Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arctanX

Post by arctanX » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:07 pm

Found something:

This one is available, but does not seem to be of best quality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rb4Wp2LeZs

This one looks promising. It haven't started yet, but you can sign up in the site: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWhEGNwlb7Q
Last edited by arctanX on Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heineborel

Post by heineborel » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:09 pm

Thanks!
The promising one does look promising... Singed up.

caxton

Post by caxton » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:06 pm

Nice advertising model here... :D

cbone6754

Post by cbone6754 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:59 pm

caxton wrote:Nice advertising model here... :D
Haha it's really quite blatant isn't it? These people are all obviously the guy from subject math dot Com

DMAshura

Post by DMAshura » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:48 pm

Especially when you look at the length of time between posts. People on here come and go; it's pretty rare that such exchanges happen so close together by people who are new to the forum, based on what I've seen. So yes, obvious sock puppet is obvious. :P

User0821

Post by User0821 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:36 pm

cbone6754 wrote:
Haha it's really quite blatant isn't it? These people are all obviously the guy from subject math dot Com
Have you seen the reviews of his stuff on Amazon? It's all clearly him. Guy has no shame.

cbone6754

Post by cbone6754 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:36 pm

User0821 wrote:
cbone6754 wrote:
Have you seen the reviews of his stuff on Amazon? It's all clearly him. Guy has no shame.
It's absurd and quite frustrating as I am currently studying for the exam and would love to know what my options are without having to constantly sift through spam. By the way what are your thoughts on using K.F Riley's Mathematical Method's and solutions manual in conjunction with Leduc's Cracking GRE book? are there any other books that you know stress quick problem solving strategies while still rehashing a bit of theory?

cbone6754

Post by cbone6754 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:43 pm

DMAshura wrote:Especially when you look at the length of time between posts. People on here come and go; it's pretty rare that such exchanges happen so close together by people who are new to the forum, based on what I've seen. So yes, obvious sock puppet is obvious. :P
By the way I want to thank you for your fabulous solutions! Havent gotten to them all yet but will certainly make my way through them in time. You are already quite a trusted name in my book due to your excellent video series "intro to higher mathematics", gave me a good intro to real math as I transitioned from Neuroscience to Pure Math. Have you thought about doing a subject math type course (for non sock puppets)? You really have a gift for presenting concepts well. I've showed the aforementioned video series to many colleagues, and the approval was universal.

User0821

Post by User0821 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:33 pm

cbone6754 wrote:It's absurd and quite frustrating as I am currently studying for the exam and would love to know what my options are without having to constantly sift through spam. By the way what are your thoughts on using K.F Riley's Mathematical Method's and solutions manual in conjunction with Leduc's Cracking GRE book? are there any other books that you know stress quick problem solving strategies while still rehashing a bit of theory?
To be fair to him, I am enrolled in some of his subjectmath.com modules and they do seem legitimate. I just hate his promotional scheming. I'm not aware of Riley's book, but it seems similar to Mary Boas' book, Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences, which is great.

I can't think of any prep book or review book that does everything you need for this test. The answer given here at Math Stack Exchange seems to be very popular, although it would be extremely time consuming:
REA books or Princeton review are not so useful.

Make sure that you do each and every problem from Stewart Calculus atleast twice, since its timed test, pace is also important factor.

Do Dummit upto field extensions, if you have time do Artin's Algebra too.

Rudin Real Analysis, Munkres Topology, Insel Linear Algebra are also must.

I suggest to go for Gamlin Complex Analysis, Brown's Complex Analysis is also sufficient but if you are good at Complex Analysis you can save time in the exam by simplifying integral using methods from Complex Analysis. (Do till Residues)

For the misc topics pick any Discrete Maths book and read them a day or two that's more than enough.

Learn some basic number theory from any introductory book.

Do all the 4 available practice tests, you should be able to finish of the tests little earlier because actual test will be harder than those practice tests.
http://math.stackexchange.com/questions ... bject-test

DMAshura

Post by DMAshura » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:41 am

cbone6754 wrote:
DMAshura wrote:Especially when you look at the length of time between posts. People on here come and go; it's pretty rare that such exchanges happen so close together by people who are new to the forum, based on what I've seen. So yes, obvious sock puppet is obvious. :P
By the way I want to thank you for your fabulous solutions! Havent gotten to them all yet but will certainly make my way through them in time. You are already quite a trusted name in my book due to your excellent video series "intro to higher mathematics", gave me a good intro to real math as I transitioned from Neuroscience to Pure Math. Have you thought about doing a subject math type course (for non sock puppets)? You really have a gift for presenting concepts well. I've showed the aforementioned video series to many colleagues, and the approval was universal.
Thank you, I appreciate it! I have in fact considered creating my own prep material, though it would have to be somewhat later, since this is a very tricky semester for me -- teaching a full load of classes, and one semester away from my Master's in Math Education! During next semester and over the summer, though, I could probably focus on such a project if there's interest.