So where is the sweat thread?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Kilgore_Trout

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Post by Kilgore_Trout » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:41 pm

Haha I always forget about the statistics people and it freaks me out because their admissions seem to come out much earlier

bernface

Post by bernface » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:06 pm

Rejected from Columbia here as well. It was my super duper duper reach so I'm not surprised, but still. Bummer.

mathrocks

Post by mathrocks » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:27 pm

Waitlisted at Stanford as well. Anyone knows normally, when would they notify the decision to waitlisted applicants? Thanks

MathCat

Post by MathCat » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:28 pm

I wish I would hear from Stanford... I expect it's a rejection, but I'd just like to know. Maybe it's later because I'm not American?

ScharlachRot

Post by ScharlachRot » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:39 pm

mathrocks wrote:Waitlisted at Stanford as well. Anyone knows normally, when would they notify the decision to waitlisted applicants? Thanks
It is quite clear from their email that there is no fixed time lapse for that notification. They will give offers of admission to waitlisted applicants as places become available due to accepted applicants' rejections. You can see on gradcafe that last year there were offers off the waitlist as late as April 10th.

By the way, MathCat, I am international.

mathrocks

Post by mathrocks » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:48 pm

ScharlachRot wrote:
mathrocks wrote:Waitlisted at Stanford as well. Anyone knows normally, when would they notify the decision to waitlisted applicants? Thanks
It is quite clear from their email that there is no fixed time lapse for that notification. They will give offers of admission to waitlisted applicants as places become available due to accepted applicants' rejections. You can see on gradcafe that last year there were offers off the waitlist as late as April 10th.

By the way, MathCat, I am international.
Thanks for your reply. Continue the waiting game then!

cauchy2012

Post by cauchy2012 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:26 pm

Hi I also applied for Stanford. Did they send you an email to tell you that you are waitlisted?

mathrocks

Post by mathrocks » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:57 pm

cauchy2012 wrote:
Hi I also applied for Stanford. Did they send you an email to tell you that you are waitlisted?
Hi, yes, I received an email from a professor there saying that I am on their waitlist. Hope that helps.

MathCat

Post by MathCat » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:21 pm

You guys should post your results to grad cafe! You don't have to include any identifying information if you don't want to. If you don't know what this is, see the math results page at http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=math*. The forum is at http://forum.thegradcafe.com/.

zasdzcc

Post by zasdzcc » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:55 pm

Has any one heard anything from UT austin? It is kind of scary that there is no info yet though some schools sent their rejections 2-3 weeks earlier than last year.

ScharlachRot

Post by ScharlachRot » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:47 pm

I was contacted by faculty some two weeks ago and received their official offer last Tuesday (21k as TA, Texas resident tuition minus 3k, which results in some 1.5k tuition fees).

zasdzcc

Post by zasdzcc » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:03 am

ScharlachRot wrote:I was contacted by faculty some two weeks ago and received their official offer last Tuesday (21k as TA, Texas resident tuition minus 3k, which results in some 1.5k tuition fees).
Is it applied or pure math? If so, they indeed moved up schedule for sending out decisions and rests are rejections I guess?

ScharlachRot

Post by ScharlachRot » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:36 am

Pure. I have no idea about the original schedule.

xor

Post by xor » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:58 am

- I've been hearing some things about Maryland's "3 questions" during their admission process. Anyone know what that's about? I have searched to no avail.

- Anyone else applying to KAUST Applied Math?

AppliedMathKid

Post by AppliedMathKid » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:00 am

xor wrote:- I've been hearing some things about Maryland's "3 questions" during their admission process. Anyone know what that's about? I have searched to no avail.

- Anyone else applying to KAUST Applied Math?

Apparently the AMSC program sends out 4 questions during the application process.

Just a simple search of this forum "university of maryland questions" brings up a result from 2011 with information:

Dear AMSC applicant,

Congratulations! Your application has been nominated for further review. The AMSC admissions committee requests that you answer the following questions. See below for upload and email instructions.

The deadline for both upload and email submission is Friday, February 17, 10:00 am, EST.

We look forward to reviewing your responses.

AMSC Admissions Committee
2011-2012

-----------------------------------------------------
Short Answer Response
Answer all 4 questions.

1) Describe a time in your life where you have demonstrated perseverance. (250 words or less)

2) Who are the mentors who have been most important to you during the last 4 years? How did the relationship develop, how did you work together, why was it important? (250 words or less)

3) How have you shown initiative in your academic studies? Explain. (250 words or less)

4) Why are you interested in the University of Maryland? (250 word or less)

zeta_0.5

Post by zeta_0.5 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:56 am

I am freaking out now..... haven't heard anything... no acceptance no rejection... I hate this wait...

grad

Post by grad » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:07 pm

I see one acceptance from Brown and one from Cornell. Any idea what the deal is with these acceptances? Has anyone here heard anything from either Brown or Cornell?

MathCat

Post by MathCat » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:24 pm

I was accepted at Cornell.

xor

Post by xor » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:07 pm

@AppliedMathKid:

Welp. Thanks mate
Last edited by xor on Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sara12

Post by sara12 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:08 pm

MathCat wrote:I was accepted at Cornell.
Congrats! That's an amazing school.

xor

Post by xor » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:12 pm

Congrats MathCat!

MathCat

Post by MathCat » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:50 pm

Got my rejection from Stanford. Not surprised.

Mezox

Post by Mezox » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:09 pm

MathCat wrote:Got my rejection from Stanford. Not surprised.
Same. I hope I get an offer somewhere. I think I might have been aiming a bit too high.

xor

Post by xor » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:18 pm

I see profiles of some rejected applicants on GradCafe, compare with my profile and then I lose hope entirely. For a while.

mathrocks

Post by mathrocks » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:47 pm

So, I got waitlisted at Columbia too. 2 waitlists in 2 days. I am seeing a pattern here.

zhandro

Post by zhandro » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:22 pm

Is it confirmed that Austin sent out offers already?

I've heard back from both Rice and A&M already. Both good results! Any insight behind each of these programs and their strengths?

grad

Post by grad » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:53 pm

MathCat wrote:I was accepted at Cornell.
Congrats! Did you post on gradcafe? Was it official or unofficial?

ScharlachRot

Post by ScharlachRot » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:50 am

Seen that guy who was accepted at Harvard, MIT, Yale, Toronto, Stanford and Yale? Makes me feel so depressed.

hakandoga

Post by hakandoga » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:19 pm

I've seen posts on GC about Toronto, MSU and Austin also. Do they send first round offers earlier to domestic applicants? Are there any international students here who heard from these schools? I've sent my TOEFL score a bit late, does anyone know that it might cause some sort of delay? I am extremely stressed!!! Wish all of us luck and patience.

SwifferCat

Post by SwifferCat » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:57 pm

Has anyone heard back from U Michigan Ann Arbor? Or from U of Minnesota?

sara12

Post by sara12 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:40 pm

SwifferCat wrote:Has anyone heard back from U Michigan Ann Arbor? Or from U of Minnesota?
Someone heard back from UMinn. They posted in the results thread here. But I don't think many UMinn acceptances have gone out.

xor

Post by xor » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:59 pm

Please does anyone know anyone (probably didn't post on GradCafe) that has heard from Stanford ICME, Rice CAAM or Notre Dame ACMS?

ScharlachRot

Post by ScharlachRot » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:11 pm

Dear people, especially those veterans who have already applied and been accepted in previous years...
I am currently on two waitlists (Stanford and Princeton) but have not written any answer to the emails that notified me of that condition. The truth is I have nothing significant to add to my application (prizes, papers, etc.) but some people in my country are saying I should show "continued interest" by writing to them. Given the fact that they are top-ranked programs, shouldn't that continued interest be taken for granted? I'm afraid that writing to them with no clear purpose might look like harassment.

Thanks!

functorofpoints

Post by functorofpoints » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:25 pm

ScharlachRot wrote:Dear people, especially those veterans who have already applied and been accepted in previous years...
I am currently on two waitlists (Stanford and Princeton) but have not written any answer to the emails that notified me of that condition. The truth is I have nothing significant to add to my application (prizes, papers, etc.) but some people in my country are saying I should show "continued interest" by writing to them. Given the fact that they are top-ranked programs, shouldn't that continued interest be taken for granted? I'm afraid that writing to them with no clear purpose might look like harassment.

Thanks!
I really don't think they're looking for you to add more stuff to your application. I emailed about sending last semester's grades and other updates and they said "it's not necessary".

mathorphysics

Post by mathorphysics » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:16 pm

xor wrote:Please does anyone know anyone (probably didn't post on GradCafe) that has heard from Stanford ICME, Rice CAAM or Notre Dame ACMS?
I haven't heard anything from them either. Also, CSEM at UT Austin.

AspiringMathPerson

Post by AspiringMathPerson » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:35 am

I saw one user here and on grad cafe (given the stats, it's the same person) get an acceptance from USC (southern California). Anyone else hear back?

coffeeboy

Post by coffeeboy » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:46 pm

Has any international student heard from UCLA or Cornell? Still don't have any offers yet. This is driving me crazy.

pph

Post by pph » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:38 pm

coffeeboy wrote:Has any international student heard from UCLA or Cornell? Still don't have any offers yet. This is driving me crazy.
I got an email from a professor at UCLA asking whether I'm still interested if that helps.
Last edited by pph on Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mezox

Post by Mezox » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:03 pm

coffeeboy wrote:Has any international student heard from UCLA or Cornell? Still don't have any offers yet. This is driving me crazy.
Haven't heard anything either :/

leonhart

Post by leonhart » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:54 pm

I got an email with the offer letter from UCLA graduate vice-chair today.

zeta_0.5

Post by zeta_0.5 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:54 pm

congratulations to those who got admission offers... Good luck for rest of the game.

farid6

Post by farid6 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:25 am

Hello everyone. After revealing some results from brown university, I checked the website and my application status was still complete. As my prof. sent my recommendation late, I want to know my application status must be complete or it must be something like to dept. for review or etc?

MathCat

Post by MathCat » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:35 am

farid6 wrote:Hello everyone. After revealing some results from brown university, I checked the website and my application status was still complete. As my prof. sent my recommendation late, I want to know my application status must be complete or it must be something like to dept. for review or etc?
Stanford and Cornell use the same application system, and when I was rejected from Stanford, nothing changed on my application page. It still looks the same. But after being accepted by Cornell, there's an option to view decision letter and to fill out decision form. If I click view checklist, it still says Complete as my status, though. I don't think that ever changes.

zeta_0.5

Post by zeta_0.5 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:37 am

farid6 wrote:Hello everyone. After revealing some results from brown university, I checked the website and my application status was still complete. As my prof. sent my recommendation late, I want to know my application status must be complete or it must be something like to dept. for review or etc?
says complete. that's it.
Good luck.

farid6

Post by farid6 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:05 am

zeta_0.5 wrote:
says complete. that's it.
Good luck.
Thank you so much, I wish you good luck with your applications.

farid6

Post by farid6 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:30 am

MathCat wrote:farid6 wrote:
Hello everyone. After revealing some results from brown university, I checked the website and my application status was still complete. As my prof. sent my recommendation late, I want to know my application status must be complete or it must be something like to dept. for review or etc?

Stanford and Cornell use the same application system, and when I was rejected from Stanford, nothing changed on my application page. It still looks the same. But after being accepted by Cornell, there's an option to view decision letter and to fill out decision form. If I click view checklist, it still says Complete as my status, though. I don't think that ever changes.
Thanks, I see your reply now. They designed admission procedure such that every step freak me out.
Any way, Congrats for your acceptance.

toinfinityandbeyond

Post by toinfinityandbeyond » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:07 pm

I noticed that there were several rejections from Georgia Tech yesterday on gradcafe. There were at least two students who were accepted there a week or two ago but there were no new accepted students on gradcafe as of yesterday. Has anyone else heard anything from Georgia Tech recently? I have been neither accepted or rejected so I'm hoping that I'm still in the running there.

MathCat

Post by MathCat » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:16 pm

The posted acceptances at Berkeley are making me sad :(

Mezox

Post by Mezox » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:34 pm

Somebody who posted on thegradcafe said he emailed to ask for his status at UCLA and was told he was rejected. Is this something worth trying? I know they're probably pretty busy but it kills me knowing there might be something I can do to find out whether I will get an offer.
MathCat wrote:The posted acceptances at Berkeley are making me sad :(
Yeah me too. But judging by how it's gone so for I probably didn't have a shot there anyways.

visgraf

Post by visgraf » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:47 pm

Mezox wrote:Somebody who posted on thegradcafe said he emailed to ask for his status at UCLA and was told he was rejected. Is this something worth trying? I know they're probably pretty busy but it kills me knowing there might be something I can do to find out whether I will get an offer.
MathCat wrote:The posted acceptances at Berkeley are making me sad :(
Yeah me too. But judging by how it's gone so for I probably didn't have a shot there anyways.
The wait is killing me too. I'm finding it extremely difficult to get any work done.