How do you fix a lower undergrad GPA?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
bernface

How do you fix a lower undergrad GPA?

Post by bernface » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:57 pm

I've gotten 5 rejections so far. No acceptances. My undergrad GPA is 3.22. I just didn't try hard enough back then.

Redoing my undergrad is not an option. I wrote a bit about my low GPA in my SOPs, but it just seems like I'm screwed. My GRE score isn't that great either - timed tests just aren't my strong suit.

Is this just it for me then? Have I permanently screwed myself over because of a few bad college years?

AspiringMathPerson

Re: How do you fix a lower undergrad GPA?

Post by AspiringMathPerson » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:57 am

If you can afford it, I suggest doing a terminal Master's somewhere and try to do well there. Not sure of your test scores, but if they're not too good you could also retake those.

Brick

Post by Brick » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:34 am

bernface wrote:I've gotten 5 rejections so far. No acceptances. My undergrad GPA is 3.22. I just didn't try hard enough back then.

Redoing my undergrad is not an option. I wrote a bit about my low GPA in my SOPs, but it just seems like I'm screwed. My GRE score isn't that great either - timed tests just aren't my strong suit.

Is this just it for me then? Have I permanently screwed myself over because of a few bad college years?
To be honest, the schools which rejected you (I just looked quick, but UC Boulder, Northwestern, U Washington, Columbia, UI, UT Austin), are all sort of reach, even for some people with higher GPAs.

I'd wait till the other ones accept or reject, before losing hope. Good luck!

And yeah redoing the mGRE or doing a masters could be a plus maybe.

xor

Post by xor » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:32 pm

I'll advise you to do a Masters first, this will prove to the program that you are capable of rigorous study and research.

But don't lose hope yet. You just might be accepted at one of the schools you applied to.
Last edited by xor on Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

bernface

Post by bernface » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:12 pm

Thanks for the support Brick and xor. Youre right, I shouldnt resign myself to my fate just yet, but it's hard to feel optimistic at this point.

At the very least if I get no offers this year, I will apply for a terminal masters as you guys have said (and will definitely be retaking the mGRE). Thank you!