So where is the sweat thread?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Krutika

Re: So where is the sweat thread?

Post by Krutika » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:20 am

Anybody here heard from the University of Minnesota? I'm an international student and my status still shows "Awaiting Program Decision". I e-mailed to inquire but didn't hear back from them. Do they usually send out rejections in bulk at the end?

Nitrogen_

Post by Nitrogen_ » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:34 pm

I am also an international student and I have received an acceptance letters from UMinnesota a week ago. Hope that helps...

mathgirl1016

Post by mathgirl1016 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:19 am

Calm before the storm??

Kilgore_Trout

Post by Kilgore_Trout » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:46 am

How have I not heard from half of my schools. If you are gonna reject someone, sack up and do it. Dragging a hundred applicants along knowing they would be fine with a 20 person waiting list is just barabaric... looking at you Columbia.

AspiringMathPerson

Post by AspiringMathPerson » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:06 am

Kilgore_Trout wrote:How have I not heard from half of my schools. If you are gonna reject someone, sack up and do it. Dragging a hundred applicants along knowing they would be fine with a 20 person waiting list is just barabaric... looking at you Columbia.
I feel the same. UCSB sent out some acceptances and rejections, but I've still heard nothing :(

Mathwhiz25

Post by Mathwhiz25 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:54 am

Hi! I just want to encourage everyone who is still waiting for acceptances and funding from universities. I know it is hard because I am still waiting myself! Let's hope our patience really pays off! I am wishing all of us the best who are still waiting! Let's try to be positive about our situation! :D

mathbee

Post by mathbee » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:20 am

Anyone heard from Purdue University's applied math department yet? They replied to my query saying they've reviewed all the applications and that I'll hear something before the 17th April. Not sure what that means.

Kilgore_Trout

Post by Kilgore_Trout » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:50 pm

So as April 15 comes ever closer, one question keeps coming up in my head: Which is better working in a gelato shop in Italy or a bartender on some random island? Thoughts?

thickskin

Post by thickskin » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:34 pm

Kilgore_Trout wrote:So as April 15 comes ever closer, one question keeps coming up in my head: Which is better working in a gelato shop in Italy or a bartender on some random island? Thoughts?
Kilgore_Trout, have you received funding from Florida State?

Kilgore_Trout

Post by Kilgore_Trout » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:38 pm

Yeah I did get a funding offer from FSU. I am just being a bit melodramatic.

thickskin

Post by thickskin » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:43 pm

Kilgore_Trout wrote:Yeah I did get a funding offer from FSU. I am just being a bit melodramatic.
We all are :D Just curious (if you don't mind), how much funding does FSU offer you and which form? Thanks for sharing.

Kilgore_Trout

Post by Kilgore_Trout » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:54 pm

I updated my profile if you want to look at it. The base payment is for TA. It seems unless you pick a professor with some major money, you TA until you graduate... not to crazy about that.

thickskin

Post by thickskin » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:48 pm

Kilgore_Trout wrote:I updated my profile if you want to look at it. The base payment is for TA. It seems unless you pick a professor with some major money, you TA until you graduate... not to crazy about that.
Oh I see. At least you are funded :D. Sorry for asking many questions but when did they notify you regarding your funding status? Did they notify the TA and the fellowship together or separately?

Kilgore_Trout

Post by Kilgore_Trout » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:12 pm

Got TA funding offer about a month ago.

The dept nominated me into an campus wide applicant pool back in Jan. The Univ made their decision and told me today actually.

thickskin

Post by thickskin » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:20 pm

Kilgore_Trout wrote:Got TA funding offer about a month ago.

The dept nominated me into an campus wide applicant pool back in Jan. The Univ made their decision and told me today actually.
Congratulations! I looked at your profile and it is very impressive. I hope you get in your dream school.

mathgirl9

Post by mathgirl9 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:24 pm

How many acceptences are sent from UIC this year?I checked gradcafe and found only three I guess.......When asked them to know my application status they said that they are still reviewing applications............this waiting is killing me........ :evil:

kokopelli

Post by kokopelli » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:24 am

mathgirl9 wrote:How many acceptences are sent from UIC this year?I checked gradcafe and found only three I guess.......When asked them to know my application status they said that they are still reviewing applications............this waiting is killing me........ :evil:
I know their visit weekend (day actually) is tomorrow. I know of one that was accepted but will be declining soon.

mathgirl9

Post by mathgirl9 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:30 am

kokopelli wrote:
mathgirl9 wrote:How many acceptences are sent from UIC this year?I checked gradcafe and found only three I guess.......When asked them to know my application status they said that they are still reviewing applications............this waiting is killing me........ :evil:
I know their visit weekend (day actually) is tomorrow. I know of one that was accepted but will be declining soon.
Thank you for the info......

MathCat

Post by MathCat » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:56 pm

I recently declined my offer at UWashington. Hopefully somebody waiting for an offer there gets to go!

mathgirl9

Post by mathgirl9 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:34 pm

Anybody heard anything from stony brook?In the gradcafe there are posts regarding applied math..3 acceptences there...what abt pure?

h0lomorphic

Post by h0lomorphic » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:06 pm

@mathgirl9: Stony Brook's admitted students day is in two weeks for pure math!

bernface

Post by bernface » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:30 pm

Have yet to hear from Ohio State, University of Michigan, UT Austin, Tulane, Boston University, Northeastern University, George Washington University, and University of Hawaii.

WHY.WHY. I JUST WANT TO KNOW.

mathgirl9

Post by mathgirl9 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:53 pm

UIC's application status shows " referred to college for review".........is this some kind of waitlist or just saying you are next in the line to get a rejection?? :cry: It someone has an idea kindly tell me.....

deekin

Post by deekin » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:33 am

Anyone know what the heck is going on with UT Austin and UC Davis? Has anyone heard anything from these schools? I know a couple of people have been admitted to Austin, but it seems to be a drop in the bucket compared to last year (at least on Grad Cafe).

cauchy2012

Post by cauchy2012 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:16 pm

deekin wrote:Anyone know what the heck is going on with UT Austin and UC Davis? Has anyone heard anything from these schools? I know a couple of people have been admitted to Austin, but it seems to be a drop in the bucket compared to last year (at least on Grad Cafe).
From what I know, if you didn't get an offer from Davis in Feb, then you are just in the waitinglist....They put all of the rest in the waitinglist.

deekin

Post by deekin » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:47 pm

cauchy2012 wrote:
deekin wrote:Anyone know what the heck is going on with UT Austin and UC Davis? Has anyone heard anything from these schools? I know a couple of people have been admitted to Austin, but it seems to be a drop in the bucket compared to last year (at least on Grad Cafe).
From what I know, if you didn't get an offer from Davis in Feb, then you are just in the waitinglist....They put all of the rest in the waitinglist.
Weird. I emailed Davis back in February and they said they were still reviewing applications.

petepete

Post by petepete » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:15 pm

Do i understand it correctly that "waitlisted" means: in principal yes but we do not have any more places to offer.?
So why does it seem to be so hard for some universities to introduce this application status in their online system so that people get to know that they're waitlisted?
Somehow I really think this whole process could be more transparent: especially since we're paying for applying.

mathgirl1016

Post by mathgirl1016 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:49 am

petepete wrote:Do i understand it correctly that "waitlisted" means: in principal yes but we do not have any more places to offer.?
So why does it seem to be so hard for some universities to introduce this application status in their online system so that people get to know that they're waitlisted?
Somehow I really think this whole process could be more transparent: especially since we're paying for applying.
My understanding is that they have made their primary offers but expect some people to decline. So they do not reject people until they have a full program. In theory, they could admit 20 people and all of them decline.

rsk

Post by rsk » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:35 am

I find it oddly ironic that mathematicians, who without doubt understand optimization at the highest possible level, are so inefficient at how they handle the graduate admissions process. Perfect example: Miami still insists on doing everything by mail (except the application, which the graduate school probably gets the say on). And then some, like Tennessee, don't even bother to let you know if they deny you funding. Ugh. The saga continues.

bernface

Post by bernface » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:25 am

rsk wrote:I find it oddly ironic that mathematicians, who without doubt understand optimization at the highest possible level, are so inefficient at how they handle the graduate admissions process. Perfect example: Miami still insists on doing everything by mail (except the application, which the graduate school probably gets the say on). And then some, like Tennessee, don't even bother to let you know if they deny you funding. Ugh. The saga continues.
Mathematicians are not the ones making the decisions on how the school accepts applications. Those would be the administrators, not the professors. Still a bummer though.

Postscript624

Post by Postscript624 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:23 pm

Alright, so would it be the height of madness to start emailing a few schools and asking about my status? Cornell is currently my top choice school, and by the looks of GradCafe they've already gone through a few cycles of accept/reject/waitlist. I figure even if they just respond with "oh sorry, we forgot to reject you months ago" I'll still know, and I already have at least one decent acceptance in my pocket. Or should I just sit tight? I guess I'm nervous that they'll just throw me a rejection because I asked, when I might have at least been low on the waitlist for a while.

sara12

Post by sara12 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:33 pm

Postscript624 wrote:Alright, so would it be the height of madness to start emailing a few schools and asking about my status? Cornell is currently my top choice school, and by the looks of GradCafe they've already gone through a few cycles of accept/reject/waitlist. I figure even if they just respond with "oh sorry, we forgot to reject you months ago" I'll still know, and I already have at least one decent acceptance in my pocket. Or should I just sit tight? I guess I'm nervous that they'll just throw me a rejection because I asked, when I might have at least been low on the waitlist for a while.
I think it is fine to email about status as long as you are polite! All the schools that I have emailed have responded quickly and kindly.

Postscript624

Post by Postscript624 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:39 pm

sara12 wrote:
Postscript624 wrote:Alright, so would it be the height of madness to start emailing a few schools and asking about my status? Cornell is currently my top choice school, and by the looks of GradCafe they've already gone through a few cycles of accept/reject/waitlist. I figure even if they just respond with "oh sorry, we forgot to reject you months ago" I'll still know, and I already have at least one decent acceptance in my pocket. Or should I just sit tight? I guess I'm nervous that they'll just throw me a rejection because I asked, when I might have at least been low on the waitlist for a while.
I think it is fine to email about status as long as you are polite! All the schools that I have emailed have responded quickly and kindly.
Awesome, thanks for the advice!

mathgirl9

Post by mathgirl9 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:26 pm

First they donot post the admission status and then don't even bother to reply when asked...

catofcats

Post by catofcats » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:16 pm

Has anyone heard from Boston College or New Mexico State.... I emailed them 3 weeks ago with no response!?!

Kilgore_Trout

Post by Kilgore_Trout » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:50 pm

My dream school is Northwestern and I've been on a 5 person waiting list for about a month now. I would wait to the very last second for this school. But in the mean time it hurts, it hurts so much.

mathgirl9

Post by mathgirl9 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:33 am

Has uic sent a waitlist?for 3 months my uic portal shows the same status....mailed them but no reply...I seriously dont undersand the process... :( ..no news from osu as well..

mathgirl1016

Post by mathgirl1016 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:05 am

mathgirl9 wrote:Has uic sent a waitlist?for 3 months my uic portal shows the same status....mailed them but no reply...I seriously dont understand the process... :( ..no news from osu as well..
I am in the same boat... there were only two acceptances from UIC on gradcafe. I hope they decide soon. I am still waiting to hear from Iowa too. I am waitlisted at UConn and Auburn but would probably decline them anyway.

xor

Post by xor » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:56 pm

Only one Rice CAAM result this year on Grad Cafe. I wonder what's going on...

mathgirl9

Post by mathgirl9 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:25 pm

mathgirl1016 wrote:
mathgirl9 wrote:Has uic sent a waitlist?for 3 months my uic portal shows the same status....mailed them but no reply...I seriously dont understand the process... :( ..no news from osu as well..
I am in the same boat... there were only two acceptances from UIC on gradcafe. I hope they decide soon. I am still waiting to hear from Iowa too. I am waitlisted at UConn and Auburn but would probably decline them anyway.
I checked last two years post from gradcafe.. I dont think they admit 3 students a year.I saw another admit in forum.Its confusing ..test of patience.Hope we hear from them soon.Did you apply to osu?

mathgirl1016

Post by mathgirl1016 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:39 am

mathgirl9 wrote:
mathgirl1016 wrote:
I checked last two years post from gradcafe.. I dont think they admit 3 students a year.I saw another admit in forum.Its confusing ..test of patience.Hope we hear from them soon.Did you apply to osu?
I did not apply to OSU. I visited UIC when I was applying for my master's, but decided not to apply there. They just didnt seem organized. I applied there for my Ph.D. because of location and program ranking. The university ranking isnt that high. And the cost of living in Chicago is really high. So I wont lose any sleep if I dont get in there.

AspiringMathPerson

Post by AspiringMathPerson » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:20 pm

Still haven't heard from UC Irvine, UC Santa Barbara, or USC. Nothing about waitlist or anything. Irvine and SC say my application is being reviewed, and SB's website doesn't show anything. I'm starting to assume the worst =/

mathbee

Post by mathbee » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:45 am

AspiringMathPerson wrote:Still haven't heard from UC Irvine, UC Santa Barbara, or USC. Nothing about waitlist or anything. Irvine and SC say my application is being reviewed, and SB's website doesn't show anything. I'm starting to assume the worst =/
I wrote to USC's grad director and got to know that I was wait-listed, a couple of weeks ago. They didn't give me more info on my position on the list but told me I'll hear a final answer by early April. Do share here if you write to them and hear anything from them, please. Thanks.

sara12

Post by sara12 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:35 pm

Has anyone heard from UMass Amherst or Northeastern?

rsk

Post by rsk » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:05 pm

FYI, Tennessee has officially given out all its funding offers. Evidently they have only 8 slots, and around 120 people applied.

johngeller

Post by johngeller » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:29 pm

AspiringMathPerson wrote:Still haven't heard from UC Irvine, UC Santa Barbara, or USC. Nothing about waitlist or anything. Irvine and SC say my application is being reviewed, and SB's website doesn't show anything. I'm starting to assume the worst =/
I emailed them last week and was told in the waiting list.

S_Dimitrov

Post by S_Dimitrov » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:14 am

Anyone heard something from CMU, Gatech, UMN or Penn State?

sara12

Post by sara12 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:48 am

S_Dimitrov wrote:Anyone heard something from CMU, Gatech, UMN or Penn State?
UMN has sent out acceptances.

Iamsluggy

Post by Iamsluggy » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:24 pm

UIC has already sent out a first round. They had a visitation weekend a couple weeks ago. Boston College accepted 18, but they expect the class size to be around 5. Source: I go to UIC and I spoke with the DGS at BC.

Kilgore_Trout

Post by Kilgore_Trout » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:43 pm

So is the decision due April 14 11:59pm or April 15 11:59pm. I have a feeling mine is gonna come down to the wire.