Chances of Grad School Admission

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
rgirls7

Chances of Grad School Admission

Post by rgirls7 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:24 pm

Just seeking advice on whether I can get into a good Ph.D. program in Statistics/Applied Statistics for Fall 2016.

Undergrad Institution: Well Known Liberal Arts School. Transferred from Community College
Major(s): Mathematics
Minor(s): Economics
GPA: 3.06
Type of Student: Domestic Black Female

GRE Revised General Test:
Q: 157 (68%) (Retake for a better score of at least 161)
V: 151 (50%)
W: 4.5 (80%)
GRE Subject Test in Mathematics:
M: didn't take

Program Applying: (Statistics/Applied Statistics)

Research Experience: (Research for 3 semesters at my school in Stats & Applied Math, two summer research programs one in Engineering another in BioChem at renowned universities, 2 conferences, 1 possible published paper)
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Mostly awards for leadership, Phi Theta Kappa (Honors Society)
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Tutor for high school & elementary school, possible grader next semester)
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Female minorty, graduated high school 2 years early
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to some reachable schools like Baylor, UC Davis, but would like to go to USC or Berkeley. Any Advice ?

AMGMScrub

Re: Chances of Grad School Admission

Post by AMGMScrub » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:30 pm

If you're going for top schools, try to do well on the GRE Math. I would definitely suggest that you ask your advisors about your situation. It's hard to gauge what your chances are for those schools. Best of luck!

BreakingBad

Re: Chances of Grad School Admission

Post by BreakingBad » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:55 am

I can't speak for Baylor or USC, but regarding schools like UC Davis and Berkeley, I can say that there will be hundreds of applicants to those programs. Among those applicants, the majority will surely have stellar numbers (3.9 undergrad GPA, 170 GRE Quant) from well known stats programs, domestic and international. Judging by your numbers, I'm inclined to say that it will be a longshot to those schools.

But I'm not saying it is impossible. First, make sure your letters of recommendation are glowing. All three of them. This is by far the most important aspect of your application. Second, try to take the GRE subject test and do well (800+). Third, I would definitely take the general GRE test again. Get that quantitative score as high as possible (aim for 165+). Lastly, do you have graduate mathematics/statistics courses under your belt? If you can show you can handle graduate course work, that would be beneficial.

You seem to have a good amount of research under your belt. That will look favorable for admission.

Good luck and make sure to apply to wide range of schools!