Should I send a revised transcript?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
michaellee94

Should I send a revised transcript?

Post by michaellee94 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:11 pm

Most of the Ph.D. Mathematics and Ph.D. Applied Mathematics programs I'm applying to have application deadlines of December 15th. My GPA is okay (two B's in-major [ouch], but the rest are A's or A-'s). However, I'm expecting my transcript to look significantly stronger after this semester (three difficult classes including one graduate-level class in my prospective subfield, all of which I expect an A in, boosting my in-major GPA by about 0.05). Unfortunately, it's unlikely that the grades for these classes will appear on my transcript by December 15th, even though my coursework and exams will be completed. Would it be unusual to send a second transcript after the deadline with this semester's grades and a revised GPA on it?

AMGMScrub

Re: Should I send a revised transcript?

Post by AMGMScrub » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:56 pm

Most schools with those deadlines start looking at applications in early January. Given that your grades won't come out till later, I don't think the admission committee will be too happy with more material coming (provided they accept it).

michaellee94

Post by michaellee94 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:55 pm

Grades come out in mid-December (third full week or so). Really, it should only be a few days after the applications are due that I'll have this semester's grades. Does that change anything?

AMGMScrub

Post by AMGMScrub » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:06 pm

I would individually ask each school with the December deadlines. But for the most part, I say that it would be fine sending your updated transcript. I know some schools that will not accept transcripts past their deadlines, so be careful.