Contacting with professors

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Transcendent

Contacting with professors

Post by Transcendent » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:56 am

Hi there. I want to apply for MSc in mathematics. But I've noticed most of universities only offer a PhD. Is that true, or I have not observed carefully?

Now, for getting an admission in a PhD, does talking to professors increase the chances of getting an admission?

mango

Re: Contacting with professors

Post by mango » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:39 pm

http://www.ams.org/programs/students/fi ... fgp-search

There are lots of schools that offer masters in math out there.

Edit: As to speaking with professors. IF you can convince a professor to take you as an advisee, and thats a big IF, that will help. Be careful here, because if a professor agrees to take you as an advisee you are basically bound to that institution or professor (and if you go elsewhere you will make yourself look very bad, academia is a small world) However otherwise probably not. It is still a good idea to contact professors, if only to find out about their research and the program, but don't think it will improve your chances of being accepted.

Transcendent

Post by Transcendent » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:00 am

Thank you very much!

verysweetjuices

Post by verysweetjuices » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:54 am

In the USA, the master's degree is more or less a consolation medal you get for dropping out of a PhD. Master's degrees are more common in commonwealth countries such as Canada, where they are required for entry into a PhD program.

Transcendent

Post by Transcendent » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:34 am

I'm applying to 3 universities in the USA (PhD) and 2 universities in Canada (MSc). I haven't talked to any professors, because I have no idea in what areas/with which professors I'm going to work. Does this ruin my chances?

verysweetjuices

Post by verysweetjuices » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:32 pm

Transcendent wrote:I'm applying to 3 universities in the USA (PhD) and 2 universities in Canada (MSc). I haven't talked to any professors, because I have no idea in what areas/with which professors I'm going to work. Does this ruin my chances?
No. Few people know what area they are going to work in when they apply for grad school. At least in Canada, professors/supervisors do not need to be contacted before the application.You figure all that out after you get in.