Too many recommendation letters

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Transcendent

Too many recommendation letters

Post by Transcendent » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:00 am

I've seen some users here apply for up to 20 universities. Isn't it too much trouble for their professors to fill the form 20 times? How do these users convince them?

marmle

Re: Too many recommendation letters

Post by marmle » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:32 am

I just applied to 18 schools for this cycle. I think it all comes down to being forward/proactive with your writers. I started the process early back in September and let my writers know I was going to apply to 15+ schools. I also sent out the recommendation requests for the individual applications in bunches, and let my writers know when they'd be receiving these requests, just so it would make their lives easier.

Transcendent

Post by Transcendent » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:19 pm

What happens if not all recommenders submit the letters? Do they ignore my application? Seems my recommenders are so lazy.. :(

mango

Post by mango » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:58 am

Schools typically give your recommenders a grace period after the application deadline to turn them in, however you should definitely contact both your recommenders and the schools about this if you are worried. A word of advice in the future, give your recommenders AT LEAST a month to finish them, and possibly even more time if you are applying to so many schools.

Transcendent

Post by Transcendent » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:46 pm

Thanks. I still need to know, what happens if one of the recommenders doesn't submit the letter? Will my application be discarded?

verysweetjuices

Post by verysweetjuices » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:40 pm

Transcendent wrote:Thanks. I still need to know, what happens if one of the recommenders doesn't submit the letter? Will my application be discarded?
More than likely.