What to Study for GRE Math Test

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Mr Prof

What to Study for GRE Math Test

Post by Mr Prof » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:22 pm

Hi. Do I need to study any of the following as I prepare for the forthcoming GRE Math Test?

(1) Special functions (frobenius method, bessel's stuffs, generating functions, ber and bei function, rodrigue, legendre etc)
(2) Fourier Series (3) Laplace Transform (4) Integral Transform
(5) Calculus of Variations (functionals, euler's equation, isoperimetric problems etc)
(6) Tensor Analysis (7) Z- Transform (8) Gamma and Beta Function (9) Chebyshev Polynomial (10) Fuzzy Sets (11) Hankel Transform
(12) Hilbert Transform (13) Empirical Laws and Curve Fittings
(14) Linear Programming

I will appreciate an honest answer. I will also welcome contributions from those who had taken the new version of the test.
Thanks.

Epsilon

Re: What to Study for GRE Math Test

Post by Epsilon » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:35 pm

Almost certainly none of these will show up, although I would be aware of empirical laws and curve fitting, least squares regression has come up on recent tests, maybe also the basics of Fourier series. I took the September test and got 99 percentile and I know little about many of the topics you listed.

Mr Prof

Post by Mr Prof » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:48 pm

@epilson. you got 99 percentile and i envy you. I am preparing for the october test. What do you think i should do. is it true that about 90% of the test is on calculus as some have commented on this platform (as against the 50% ets told us)?

Mr Prof

Post by Mr Prof » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:53 pm

@epilson. you got 99 percentile and i envy you. I am preparing for the october test. What do you think i should do. is it true that about 90% of the test is on calculus as some have commented on this platform (as against the 50% ets told us)? Why do you think many people with a decent gpa do poorly on the test? What should they have done differently?

Mr Prof

Post by Mr Prof » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:56 pm

Epsilon wrote:Almost certainly none of these will show up, although I would be aware of empirical laws and curve fitting, least squares regression has come up on recent tests, maybe also the basics of Fourier series. I took the September test and got 99 percentile and I know little about many of the topics you listed.

Mr Prof

Post by Mr Prof » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:56 pm

Epsilon wrote:Almost certainly none of these will show up, although I would be aware of empirical laws and curve fitting, least squares regression has come up on recent tests, maybe also the basics of Fourier series. I took the September test and got 99 percentile and I know little about many of the topics you listed.
@epilson. you got 99 percentile and i envy you. I am preparing for the october test. What do you think i should do. is it true that about 90% of the test is on calculus as some have commented on this platform (as against the 50% ets told us)? Why do you think many people with a decent gpa do poorly on the test? What should they have done differently?

Epsilon

Post by Epsilon » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:23 am

I mostly studied calculus, linear algebra and ODE. This was a majority of the test, but I can't remember if it was in line with what the ETS laid out or not. These topics are what I would focus on if I were you. I found the practice tests to be representative of the subject matter if not the difficulty, so you can base what you should study off of that.

Mr Prof

Post by Mr Prof » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:31 pm

Epsilon wrote:I mostly studied calculus, linear algebra and ODE. This was a majority of the test, but I can't remember if it was in line with what the ETS laid out or not. These topics are what I would focus on if I were you. I found the practice tests to be representative of the subject matter if not the difficulty, so you can base what you should study off of that.
Thanks