7-8 Year’s work exp before a PhD

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
confused.girl

7-8 Year’s work exp before a PhD

Post by confused.girl » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:16 am

Hi!

Starting a new thread just in case.

I have a bachelors in ECE from an international university, a Masters from UCSD in Signal and Image Processing and been working in the industry for close to
8 years in Video Compression and more recently in 3D Computer Vision. I want to apply for a PhD in AMATH(Applied Math) starting Fall 2019(mostly).

I am aware that I need to take the GRE Math Subject Exam and the General GRE as well.

I do not have any research papers so far.

I did lots of high school math competitive exams(dont think they count anymore).
I am only hoping to do well in Math Subject test to prove myself.

How realistic are my chances of a PhD Admit in AMATH? Will my work experience cost me a lot?
Anyone else in the same boat?
Any advice from people in similar situations is appreciated .
Thanks for your time

nothing

Re: 7-8 Year’s work exp before a PhD

Post by nothing » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:51 am

I have seen some applied math programs that do not require a lot of background like Arizona and AMCS Notre Dame. What kinds of applied math are you planning to do ?

confused.girl

Post by confused.girl » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:58 am

Thanks. I am leaning towards mathematical modeling , mathematical methods - that forms the basis for many problems in engineering. I want to apply to AMATH since it gives me an opportunity to study math rigorously that is Close to engineering. Would you happen to know about U Wash’s AMATH acceptance ? I’m a Seattle resident and it is one of best schools in my area.

nothing

Post by nothing » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:20 am

UWash is pretty tough as their applied math program is like a top 10. However, it depends on your personal connections and letter writers.

confused.girl

Post by confused.girl » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:42 am

I see. I took a couple of Probability Theory courses in Grad school and got A+ in them . Did a Grad level TA in Probabilty course too. Is a MS admit at U Wash possible ? How is their conversion rate from MS to PhD for AMATH?

Btw are you an applicant for this year or a student already? Thanks for the advice so far :)