Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Singularity

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Post by Singularity » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:04 pm

EGA wrote:UCLA appears to have sent out a first round of acceptances based on my latest reconnaissance over on gradcafe.
Too bad I didn't apply... I really wanted to, but then my professor who went there told me it is hard to live there with the stipend...

EGA

Post by EGA » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:34 pm

Singularity wrote:
EGA wrote:UCLA appears to have sent out a first round of acceptances based on my latest reconnaissance over on gradcafe.
Too bad I didn't apply... I really wanted to, but then my professor who went there told me it is hard to live there with the stipend...
Yeah, I've heard similar things regarding their stipends, including one story of a homeless Phd student! The student wasn't in math, but the overall impression I get is that UCLA doesn't treat their grad students as well as other schools. Honestly though, based on your profile, I imagine you'll get an offer somewhere comparable to UCLA (if not better), that pays their students a livable stipend. Worst case scenario, Yale is a nice backup option haha.

Singularity

Post by Singularity » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:52 pm

EGA wrote:
Singularity wrote:
Yeah, I've heard similar things regarding their stipends, including one story of a homeless Phd student! The student wasn't in math, but the overall impression I get is that UCLA doesn't treat their grad students as well as other schools. Honestly though, based on your profile, I imagine you'll get an offer somewhere comparable to UCLA (if not better), that pays their students a livable stipend. Worst case scenario, Yale is a nice backup option haha.
Thanks! I am of course very happy with Yale already. I think eventually I will just follow one advisor and Yale professors are actually quite excellent. I think the only reason why Yale isn't ranked higher is the small size of the department which is completely fine to me. I somehow value things like architecture and culture more and thus prefer the Yale to some places that are ranked higher for math (what is the merit of ranking anyway).

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:28 am

Singularity wrote: Thanks! I am of course very happy with Yale already. I think eventually I will just follow one advisor and Yale professors are actually quite excellent. I think the only reason why Yale isn't ranked higher is the small size of the department which is completely fine to me. I somehow value things like architecture and culture more and thus prefer the Yale to some places that are ranked higher for math (what is the merit of ranking anyway).
I hope you enjoy the occasional blizzard and cold weather jk jk. A friend of mine is at Yale and loves the architecture and liberal arts environment. Which professor(s) are you interested in working under?
EGA wrote: Yeah, I've heard similar things regarding their stipends, including one story of a homeless Phd student! The student wasn't in math, but the overall impression I get is that UCLA doesn't treat their grad students as well as other schools. Honestly though, based on your profile, I imagine you'll get an offer somewhere comparable to UCLA (if not better), that pays their students a livable stipend. Worst case scenario, Yale is a nice backup option haha.
Based on the PhD Stipends page, UC Berkeley gives a manageable amount of 25K so either LA is considerably more expensive or the stipend is about 20K.

Singularity

Post by Singularity » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:53 am

I hope you enjoy the occasional blizzard and cold weather jk jk. A friend of mine is at Yale and loves the architecture and liberal arts environment. Which professor(s) are you interested in working under?

Trust me I have seen worse as I study at MA. I kinda like the snow as it makes me calm and focused. I originally was thinking about Zhiwei Yun. Honestly if he agrees to take me I will just accept the offer! However, a while after I submitted my application I heard that he was moving to MIT... I even mentioned his research area on my SOP. For now I'm looking at Goncharov. It is too early to think about that, I still have over 10 programs I want to hear back from.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:34 am

Singularity wrote: I originally was thinking about Zhiwei Yun. Honestly if he agrees to take me I will just accept the offer! However, a while after I submitted my application I heard that he was moving to MIT... I even mentioned his research area on my SOP. For now I'm looking at Goncharov. It is too early to think about that, I still have over 10 programs I want to hear back from.
I remember emailing him and asking if he was taking students in Algebraic Geometry. Since he's not, Yale's only Algebraic Geometer is Sam Payne. Which schools are your favorites?

EGA

Post by EGA » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:18 am

djysyed wrote:
Singularity wrote: I originally was thinking about Zhiwei Yun. Honestly if he agrees to take me I will just accept the offer! However, a while after I submitted my application I heard that he was moving to MIT... I even mentioned his research area on my SOP. For now I'm looking at Goncharov. It is too early to think about that, I still have over 10 programs I want to hear back from.
I remember emailing him and asking if he was taking students in Algebraic Geometry. Since he's not, Yale's only Algebraic Geometer is Sam Payne. Which schools are your favorites?
Yeah, actually I would be interested in hearing both of your preferences on schools (if you don't mind) as it seems we have related interests. I'm hoping to work in algebraic/arithmetic geometry or homotopy theory.

As far as the schools I applied to, I think Michigan is among my top preferences, as they have a great community of algebraic geometers (unfortunately not much topology). Brown is pretty good for arithmetic geometry (also Goodwillie is amazing in homotopy theory - though I doubt I could convince him to be my advisor), and Northwestern is pretty awesome on the topology side of things. UIUC appears to be attractive in all areas, and Stanford would obviously be ideal on all fronts, but I don't think I'm qualified haha

Singularity

Post by Singularity » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:07 am

djysyed wrote:
You emailed Yun or Goncharov?

rfz

Post by rfz » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:31 am

Hello guys!

I have checked up the in the gradcafe and saw the somebody was accepted to UCLA. So I guess the results from UCLA will be sent soon. So nervous. By the way my Math GRE is 58% due to illness that day but I have decided not to write about that in SOP

Singularity

Post by Singularity » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:34 am

rfz wrote:Hello guys!

I have checked up the in the gradcafe and saw the somebody was accepted to UCLA. So I guess the results from UCLA will be sent soon. So nervous. By the way my Math GRE is 58% due to illness that day but I have decided not to write about that in SOP
good luck!

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:59 am

EGA wrote:Yeah, actually I would be interested in hearing both of your preferences on schools (if you don't mind) as it seems we have related interests. I'm hoping to work in algebraic/arithmetic geometry or homotopy theory.

As far as the schools I applied to, I think Michigan is among my top preferences, as they have a great community of algebraic geometers (unfortunately not much topology). Brown is pretty good for arithmetic geometry (also Goodwillie is amazing in homotopy theory - though I doubt I could convince him to be my advisor), and Northwestern is pretty awesome on the topology side of things. UIUC appears to be attractive in all areas, and Stanford would obviously be ideal on all fronts, but I don't think I'm qualified haha
I don't mind at all because I finally found other undergrads who are dedicated to getting that PhD. My rankings are:

Berkeley: Top ranked for Algebraic Geometry, decent Algebraic Topology (Constantin Teleman), warm weather
UCLA: Algebraic K-Theory (Paul Balmer) and Homotopy Theory (Mike Hill), warm weather
MIT: Haynes Miller for Algebraic Topology and a bunch of Algebraic Geometers
Michigan: Strong Algebraic Geometry + Igor Kriz for Algebraic Topology
Brown: Never noticed Goodwillie's name on faculty list so I ended up talking with their Algebraic Geometers (Joe Harris' students) quite a bit.
Northwestern: Paul Goerss and John Francis for Homotopy + Homology Theory. Met with one of John Francis' students at a seminar and we spoke for about an hour.
UIUC: Met with Dr. Jeremiah Heller at same seminar and liked what UIUC has to offer. Familiar with campus and they have decent Algebraic Geometry. One thing to note is that they have three Algebraic K-theorists/Homotopy Theorists and Matthew Ando.
UChicago/Stanford/Harvard: Good at everything but everything is just hard there. If I could do a 4th year of undergrad, certainly place these higher.
Johns Hopkins: I really love their abundance of Algebraic K-Theory and pure Category Theory (Emily Riehl)
UIC: Currently here. They keep hiring Algebraic Geometers so there's three giants, three rising stars and a crap ton of post-docs from Harvard (Joe Harris' students), MIT and UChicago. Good Algebraic Topology (Brooke Shipley and Ben Antieau)
UW-Madison: Basically UIC with less Algebraic Geometry and much colder.
Singularity wrote: You emailed Yun or Goncharov?
Yun

lothiriell

Post by lothiriell » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:02 am

keith wrote:Do you guys think it is advisable to email professors that I am interested in working with to express my interests and ask whether they can look at my profiles? I heard from other people that doing so is meaningless since the decisions are totally up to the admission committee rather than an individual professor.
This is one of the trickiest things in my opinion. I was also advised by a PhD candidate at a top university (not in USA though) that the best way is to approach someone. I thought about it a lot and decided against it in the end. I didn't contact anyone, nor mentioned any professor in my SoP and I got admitted to a top school.
My point is: it really depends on the school, and you shouldn't really rely on what I tell you and make a decision based on that. What you should probably do is carefully read the FAQs of the universities you are applying to. There are schools that explicitly say 'we strongly encourage approaching a professor', others that say 'it's not necessary' and even some who practically say that you shouldn't do it. Or maybe write to a grad coordinator and ask if it's customary to do something like that.

rfz

Post by rfz » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:07 am

lothiriell wrote:
keith wrote:Do you guys think it is advisable to email professors that I am interested in working with to express my interests and ask whether they can look at my profiles? I heard from other people that doing so is meaningless since the decisions are totally up to the admission committee rather than an individual professor.
This is one of the trickiest things in my opinion. I was also advised by a PhD candidate at a top university (not in USA though) that the best way is to approach someone. I thought about it a lot and decided against it in the end. I didn't contact anyone, nor mentioned any professor in my SoP and I got admitted to a top school.
My point is: it really depends on the school, and you shouldn't really rely on what I tell you and make a decision based on that. What you should probably do is carefully read the FAQs of the universities you are applying to. There are schools that explicitly say 'we strongly encourage approaching a professor', others that say 'it's not necessary' and even some who practically say that you shouldn't do it. Or maybe write to a grad coordinator and ask if it's customary to do something like that.
Thanks a lot for this information!

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:08 pm

For anyone worrying about what top schools look for in an applicant profile, I emailed the DGS of Yale and asked what was lacking in my application. He replied with, "We receive too many applications to give detailed feedback to everyone who is not accepted. In comparison with a typical accepted applicant, you have fewer years of undergraduate education, lower grades, lower GRE scores, and less research experience."

misterry

Post by misterry » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:59 pm

djysyed wrote:For anyone worrying about what top schools look for in an applicant profile, I emailed the DGS of Yale and asked what was lacking in my application. He replied with, "We receive too many applications to give detailed feedback to everyone who is not accepted. In comparison with a typical accepted applicant, you have fewer years of undergraduate education, lower grades, lower GRE scores, and less research experience."
Very generic answer. But fewer years of undergraduate education?

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:56 pm

I have no research, a 3.45 GPA, 760 MGRE and am a third year undergrad. From what I know, top programs would like to see at least one REU, 3.7+ GPA, 800+ MGRE. I didn't quite understand why being a third year undergrad was an issue unless they want people who show academic maturity.

kayiilu

Post by kayiilu » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:27 pm

Hey, I know this is quite irrelevant from the flow of discussion above > < Just wondering if you guys know how often would an applicant be contacted for interviews? Would the decision be made without an interview, or would it be made following an interview? :?:

For fewer years of undergraduate education, I think it may only matters when the student graduate early, but did less/none research and took less/none graduate level classes compared to students who graduate later.
One of my friends, who is a second year PhD at UIUC now, only used two years to graduate with a Bachelor in Mathematics, and he took mostly graduate level mathematics courses at that time. So in his case, he got admitted to the PhD program easily..

lambert

Post by lambert » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:30 pm

If I had to guess I'd say most other applicants will have one more year of mathematical experience, which probably does make a difference.

Then again they also accept people with bachelors from the UK and those are 3-year programs.

Bayesian1701

Post by Bayesian1701 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:21 pm

djysyed wrote:For anyone worrying about what top schools look for in an applicant profile, I emailed the DGS of Yale and asked what was lacking in my application. He replied with, "We receive too many applications to give detailed feedback to everyone who is not accepted. In comparison with a typical accepted applicant, you have fewer years of undergraduate education, lower grades, lower GRE scores, and less research experience."
Edit: Missed more recent comment by djysyed and am clarifying my response.
Fewer years of undergraduate education? I think that should be beneficial rather than harmful. I hope top stats programs don't feel the same way because I am graduating in 3 years with a 4 year degree in math. Lower grades, lower gre, and less research experience make sense for reasons but graduating early does not. But graduating early should if anything improve your chances. You might be younger than most, but the fact you still got some research experience in, and graduate classes show that I think you can be successful. That's a crappy reason to consider in admissions. Hopefully, other programs will not feel the same way and recognize your success for graduating early with a math degree.

ArtinWedderburn

Post by ArtinWedderburn » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:38 pm

djysyed wrote:I have no research, a 3.45 GPA, 760 MGRE and am a third year undergrad. From what I know, top programs would like to see at least one REU, 3.7+ GPA, 800+ MGRE. I didn't quite understand why being a third year undergrad was an issue unless they want people who show academic maturity.
I have a friend who applied when he was a third year undergrad. He was admitted to two PhD programs, which probably suggests that schools do not really care. However, if you graduate earlier, you would have taken less graduate courses, have spent less time on your research, have less interactions with your referees, etc. However, your background looks pretty good so I would just say Yale is hard to get in.

lothiriell

Post by lothiriell » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:00 pm

It depends on the school. This is from OSU website for example:

'There are university-wide minimum requirements which are non-negotiable:

4-year Bachelor's (or higher) degree from an accredited college or university. 3-year undergraduate degrees are not generally recognized by Ohio State as meeting this requirement*'
but if you have a 3-year undergrad degree + Master's then you can apply.

An undergraduate program that lasts 3 years is something completely different than graduating in 3 years while the program is 4 years long.

lothiriell

Post by lothiriell » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:10 pm

Junaid456 wrote:Awesome, congratulations. I know that senior friend of mine had brilliant credentials (IMO's, flawless transcript, specific research interests in AG, a paper as well based on one of Richard Stanley's works), so I'm assuming you must be in the same boat.

Congrats once again. Let's hope things work out as well for applicants like myself who don't really have a stellar app. This process is nerve wracking as it is.
djysyed wrote:Congrats to you guys!!! Best of luck to everyone who is nervous about applicaitons!
home1915 wrote:Congrats! And good luck to the others!
Thank you! ^_^ And good luck everyone <3
I believe this is the most active Sweat Thread in years haha

nothing

Post by nothing » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:45 pm

Penn State has finished ranking applicants. I guess they will send out offers in 2 weeks. Same for CMU.

hooruru1995

Post by hooruru1995 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:15 pm

nothing wrote:Penn State has finished ranking applicants. I guess they will send out offers in 2 weeks. Same for CMU.
Where did you get this info?

nothing

Post by nothing » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:20 pm

My friend told me his advisor ( at Penn State) and another Professor at CMU asked him about me ( did I get any offer higher than PSU and CMU ? ) His advisor also told him the committee at Penn State will have a meeting next week to pick up applications for sending out offers. For CMU, they will have a skype interview for international applicants in shortlist to evaluate English.

curvature-form

Post by curvature-form » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:31 pm

nothing wrote:My friend told me his advisor ( at Penn State) and another Professor at CMU asked him about me ( did I get any offer higher than PSU and CMU ? ) His advisor also told him the committee at Penn State will have a meeting next week to pick up applications for sending out offers. For CMU, they will have a skype interview for international applicants in shortlist to evaluate English.
I'm pretty sure CMU's application deadline hasn't passed yet. Although, I do know that they review applications they receive before the deadline of January 15th, 2018.

nothing

Post by nothing » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:37 pm

Correct. I just submitted my CMU application 4-5 days ago. It's so painful that they require the official transcript.

whatstheprobability

Post by whatstheprobability » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:39 pm

Is it common for schools to review applications before their official deadline has passed?

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:22 pm

ArtinWedderburn wrote: I have a friend who applied when he was a third year undergrad. He was admitted to two PhD programs, which probably suggests that schools do not really care. However, if you graduate earlier, you would have taken less graduate courses, have spent less time on your research, have less interactions with your referees, etc. However, your background looks pretty good so I would just say Yale is hard to get in.
I agree, and thanks. Due to the exponential growth of mathematical maturity, one year makes a tremendous difference.

solveit

Post by solveit » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:54 pm

djysyed wrote:
Berkeley: Top ranked for Algebraic Geometry, decent Algebraic Topology (Constantin Teleman), warm weather
Unfortunately Teleman isn't around at the moment, he's at Oxford.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:11 am

solveit wrote: Unfortunately Teleman isn't around at the moment, he's at Oxford.
That's a bummer. I listed Mariusz Wodzikci, Martin Olson and Mark Haiman as my top three faculty and luckily Haiman is Berkeley's admissions committee.

a6f9

Post by a6f9 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:00 pm

I got an email from a professor saying that he's interested in my application and we set up a Skype interview. Can anyone provide some advice on what to expect and how to prepare? Thanks.

whatstheprobability

Post by whatstheprobability » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:17 pm

a6f9 wrote:I got an email from a professor saying that he's interested in my application and we set up a Skype interview. Can anyone provide some advice on what to expect and how to prepare? Thanks.
Some general information: http://www.jobs.ac.uk/careers-advice/st ... ucial-tips

Also, what university is this for? If you don't mind me asking.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:02 pm

I have checked up the in the gradcafe and saw the somebody was accepted to UCLA. So I guess the results from UCLA will be sent soon.
Is there a chance that this is fake? If UCLA sent out acceptances, I'm sure many others would have gotten in as well.

qwerasdfzxcv

Post by qwerasdfzxcv » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:37 pm

djysyed wrote:

I have checked up the in the gradcafe and saw the somebody was accepted to UCLA. So I guess the results from UCLA will be sent soon.
Is there a chance that this is fake? If UCLA sent out acceptances, I'm sure many others would have gotten in as well.
Based on gradcafe, it seems like UCLA sends out their acceptances over the course of a week or two. They might have only sent a few so far.

jxwatmg

Post by jxwatmg » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:35 am

UCLA was sending out offers just now according to thegradcafe :|

ximonk

Post by ximonk » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:40 am

The acceptance on Gradcafe was sent out on the 12th.

jxwatmg

Post by jxwatmg » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:51 am

ximonk wrote:The acceptance on Gradcafe was sent out on the 12th.
Oops, my fault :mrgreen:

ximonk

Post by ximonk » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:13 am

Also make sure to check your spam folders the next few days, it seems in past years a couple of UCLA acceptances were flagged as spam lolz.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:26 am

ximonk wrote:Also make sure to check your spam folders the next few days, it seems in past years a couple of UCLA acceptances were flagged as spam lolz.
I've been doing this for the past few days lol. I never thought I would be so eager to get an email in my spam folder. Back in October, I almost missed the announcement about their application changing platform because that email went to my spam.

korobeiniki

Post by korobeiniki » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:39 am

qwerasdfzxcv wrote:
djysyed wrote:

Based on gradcafe, it seems like UCLA sends out their acceptances over the course of a week or two. They might have only sent a few so far.
Yeah, I think that's why you can relax about UCLA for the moment. Last year they sporadically accepted people from January 13th up to February 8th (at least based on what's reported on gradcafe), so it's likely they submit their acceptances little by little instead of complete batches like Chicago and Yale (so far).

petrokov

Post by petrokov » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:04 pm

I just got an email from GA Tech telling me that I haven't finished my financial aid application and encouraging me to finish it. Apart from the fact that I should have finished the application earlier, does this mean anything? I feel like if they wanted to reject me outright, they wouldn't need my financial aid application to do that. Could it mean that they're considering my application more strongly, and they want to consider if I'm worth giving money to? Or more optimistically, could it mean that they've already decided they want me and now it's just a question of how much money?

Maybe I'm reading too much into this. I'm just really anxious waiting.

MathCat

Post by MathCat » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:59 pm

petrokov wrote:I just got an email from GA Tech telling me that I haven't finished my financial aid application and encouraging me to finish it. Apart from the fact that I should have finished the application earlier, does this mean anything? I feel like if they wanted to reject me outright, they wouldn't need my financial aid application to do that. Could it mean that they're considering my application more strongly, and they want to consider if I'm worth giving money to? Or more optimistically, could it mean that they've already decided they want me and now it's just a question of how much money?

Maybe I'm reading too much into this. I'm just really anxious waiting.
I would say it could be a good sign, or it could mean nothing. I definitely don't think it's a bad sign, anyway.

jhgmath

Post by jhgmath » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:57 am

Question... I got accepted via snail mail (I guess that's a thing they do still...) to a university, but there's no word on funding in this letter. Do I wait to get some other kind of correspondence about that, or am I to reach out and ask? Is there some kind of standard here? It's not on their website or anything...thanks!

Junaid456

Post by Junaid456 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:55 am

jhgmath wrote:Question... I got accepted via snail mail (I guess that's a thing they do still...) to a university, but there's no word on funding in this letter. Do I wait to get some other kind of correspondence about that, or am I to reach out and ask? Is there some kind of standard here? It's not on their website or anything...thanks!
I think you should write an email to the Director of Graduate Studies inuring about the funding status. I applied to a university that aims to make the first round of TA offers by mid-January. I emailed the DGS, and he informed me that I have been admitted without funding, and I'll get the letter in a week or so. He also informed me that they may make more offers of funding in the coming weeks and months. I guess they don't have funding for everyone. I checked out grad cafe as well, and this seems to be the theme for this school.

I suppose you should definitely email and ask the school, especially if it is a middle tier school that may not have funding for everyone.

yon3da

Post by yon3da » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:54 pm

Georgia Tech sent out acceptances! :D

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:26 pm

I'm starting to get a little worried because a lot of people have started hearing back from universities and I only heard back from 1 out of the 16 I applied to.

MathCat

Post by MathCat » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:54 pm

djysyed wrote:I'm starting to get a little worried because a lot of people have started hearing back from universities and I only heard back from 1 out of the 16 I applied to.
Most universities don't make decisions in January - don't worry about it. A lot send out results mid-late February or into March.

Singularity

Post by Singularity » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:26 pm

djysyed wrote:I'm starting to get a little worried because a lot of people have started hearing back from universities and I only heard back from 1 out of the 16 I applied to.
Hearing back from one is good enough. I bet most people heard nothing so far. Remember, people who have heard back are way more likely to post here about it.

Epsilon

Post by Epsilon » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:34 pm

It seems like the only schools that have sent anything at all are UCLA, Yale, Chicago, GA tech and OSU. Some of these have not even sent out all of their results, or even all of their acceptances. Don't worry about it yet.