Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
a6f9

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Post by a6f9 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:31 pm

Junaid456 wrote:
a6f9 wrote:Has anyone gotten any interviews for Master's programs in Canadian universities? I'm particularly interested in UBC and UofT but any information would be great.
Do Canadian universities typically interview prospective international, MS students? I haven't applied to UBC and UofT, but I have applied to Waterloo, UWO and McGill.
I think it varies professor to professor. I'm just a little nervous because UofT started sending out acceptances late January last year (based on Gradcafe), and I haven't heard anything from them.

misterry

Post by misterry » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:58 pm

Last edited by misterry on Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Junaid456

Post by Junaid456 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:05 pm

misterry wrote:SHIT! I had a hunch and checked one of the online application forms I submitted, and apparently one institution has not received my official score reports from ETS. They haven't asked me about it or anything. It's really frustrating to spend so much money on applications and score reports and still (probably) have my application thrown in the garbage...
Most departments seem to have no problem reviewing files only with the unofficial scores. Email them to check whether they have access to your complete file and whether they will be able to review your file, make a decision, and inform you about it.

I contacted almost all the schools to which I applied, and 60% were fine with my only submitting the unofficial scores for now. So, I'll encourage you to email them. Each dept. has different logistics.

For example, the Rice University's Grad Program Coordinator responded by saying:

"You may self report GRE and TOEFL scores, along with unofficial copies of the scores for the review process."

So you can try emailing them to check with them.
Last edited by Junaid456 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:11 pm

Hmm...quite a few schools have still not received my transcripts or GRE scores yet.

Forte

Post by Forte » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:19 pm

djysyed wrote:Hmm...quite a few schools have still not received my transcripts or GRE scores yet.
That might be because they want everything delivered via paper instead of digital. I had an issue like that and i called ETS and they told me that if it says "delivered on XYZ" on the ETS website, what that really means was "it was shipped out (either by email or by physical)'." It varies from department to department. If you sent your scores in December, maybe you should call the schools, find out how they get their ETS scores then call ETS and it should be fine. Maybe even the school could call ETS, too.

petrokov

Post by petrokov » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:49 pm

djysyed wrote:Hmm...quite a few schools have still not received my transcripts or GRE scores yet.
Try calling them. Berkeley and MIT said that they had not received my scores a month after I had submitted them, but when I called them, they told me that they had the scores, and that they simply hadn't matched them with my profile yet. Five minutes after each call, the website showed that my scores had been received.

Bayesian1701

Post by Bayesian1701 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:08 am

mishania1996 wrote:Almost each post on gradcafe is written by Americans. Is there a trend of starting from local students, is the forum mostly populated by Americans, or is it just that the international quotas are too small?

At the first place I'm concerned for the data regarding Ucla, Princeton, and Stanford because these are the only schools taking place in my list and in the gradcafe at the same time.
There is definitely a large degree of nonresponse on the gradcafe survey. If you compare the reported acceptance letters to the acceptance data or number of spots for a program sometimes there are only 50% (or less) of the expected responses based on my experience with data from Statistics PhD programs. In some cases no acceptances where reported, even though there were likely a handful or so. Search for the program (i.e. Princeton math) and see if they sent out domestic responses first in past years. I could understand a trend of processing American applications first to arrange travel for admitted student visits or due to quotas. Depending on how the department handles it all the acceptances may not come out at once. Princeton and Stanford do seem to send out most responses at once or within a couple days. UCLA is tricky since there isn't a lot of data on international acceptance, and since they are public they might not have a lot of international spots. I have no idea how many applications these three places receive but I would expect that a lot of them are missing from the data.

pointguard0

Post by pointguard0 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:57 pm

Hi everyone,
I've applied to Cambridge to the PhD program in "Pure mathematics and mathematical statistics" and just heard back from two professors (indicated in my application) offering me an interview over Skype. If anyone knows what should I be prepared for I would be glad for a piece of advice on the interview. Anyone else heard back from Cambridge?
P.S. sorry if my question is out of topic and only the US universities are discussed here.
Thanks indeed.

regularitylemma

Post by regularitylemma » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:27 pm

pointguard0 wrote:Hi everyone,
I've applied to Cambridge to the PhD program in "Pure mathematics and mathematical statistics" and just heard back from two professors (indicated in my application) offering me an interview over Skype. If anyone knows what should I be prepared for I would be glad for a piece of advice on the interview. Anyone else heard back from Cambridge?
P.S. sorry if my question is out of topic and only the US universities are discussed here.
Thanks indeed.
It should be a technical chat/interview although there's pretty high variance in exactly how these interviews are conducted. I'd say be ready to answer questions related to the courses you've taken which are most relevant to the area you've applied for (upper division/ intro grad stuff). This is very second-hand info of course, I've not applied to Cambridge myself.

kayiilu

Post by kayiilu » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:07 am

Thanks indeed.

I think you should be ready to talk about the research/projects that you did, and any higher level mathematics classes that you took. Also, you should be prepared to tell the interviewer what your areas of interests are, and what you would like to work on in the future. Maybe also be prepared to tell the interviewer your near-future plan as well, like what you will be doing this semester.

jhgmath

Post by jhgmath » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:13 am

djysyed wrote:
regularitylemma wrote:Getting random promo emails from schools I've applied to and am waiting for decisions from is unnecessarily stressful (looking at you, UGA!)
I've been getting emails from Berkeley's Data Science program. A few days ago, I got an email titled "You are invited to U of I day" but it was about going to the state capitol and meeting state senators...
Ugh, I got an email Friday afternoon from just a man's name and the subject line said Invitation - Fall 2018 and I about sh*t myself and it was an invitation to apply from the University of Buffalo school of engineering :?

mishania1996

Post by mishania1996 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:41 am

BMS has started to send rejections. I still have neither rejection nor acceptance. So tired of waiting.

Grothaltric

Post by Grothaltric » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:06 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by Grothaltric on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

HighDimStuff

Post by HighDimStuff » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:26 pm

Thanks indeed.
I am currently an internal Part III Maths student at Cambridge and I am also applying to this Ph.D. program. I think the form of the interview heavily depends on the potential supervisors you have chosen in the application. Different professors may take very different approaches, and what they ask will be based on whether you are an internal student, what courses you have taken, and what projects you have worked on. A typical Cambridge maths interview is very technical. In particular, you should be prepared to tackle a question or two in your field of study during the interview (Well, it might be harder over Skype). They will normally guide you through if you are stuck. Good luck!

Jayden

Post by Jayden » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:48 pm

Got panic when I saw someone in the forum had been admitted by Purdue, where I had applied but received nothing yet.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:00 am

Jayden wrote:Got panic when I saw someone in the forum had been admitted by Purdue, where I had applied but received nothing yet.
That person seems to have quite the research experience.

pointguard0

Post by pointguard0 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:12 am

HighDimStuff wrote:
Thanks indeed.
I am currently an internal Part III Maths student at Cambridge and I am also applying to this Ph.D. program. I think the form of the interview heavily depends on the potential supervisors you have chosen in the application. Different professors may take very different approaches, and what they ask will be based on whether you are an internal student, what courses you have taken, and what projects you have worked on. A typical Cambridge maths interview is very technical. In particular, you should be prepared to tackle a question or two in your field of study during the interview (Well, it might be harder over Skype). They will normally guide you through if you are stuck. Good luck!
Thanks @kayiilu and @regularitylemma for helpful answers.

@HighDimStuff, that's interesting. Did you heard back from any of your potential supervisors? So, professors interview each and every applicant and I am not supposed to think that I am in some kind of advantage having this interview? I have this interview in 2 days and will report about it then.

Good luck you too!

pointguard0

Post by pointguard0 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:21 am

mishania1996 wrote:BMS has started to send rejections. I still have neither rejection nor acceptance. So tired of waiting.
The decisions will be out in around mid March (for those who have applied by Dec 1) according to https://www.math-berlin.de/images/guide ... elines.pdf, however I don't have any insights about the decision making process. I also have nothing from them (applied for Phase II).
Good luck!

Singularity

Post by Singularity » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:21 pm

Okay, I'm back for a bit... Toronto asked me if I'm still interested? Shouldn't be a bad sign right?

mathphdhopeful

Post by mathphdhopeful » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:19 pm

Singularity wrote:Okay, I'm back for a bit... Toronto asked me if I'm still interested? Shouldn't be a bad sign right?
I see that you got into Yale. Congrats! Out of curiosity, would you choose Toronto over Yale if you also got into Toronto? Assuming you're getting the same amount of financial aid, teaching duties,.... Just wondering because I'm currently an undergrad at UofT. Also, how do you rank UofT among the other top US schools?

Thanks and congrats again. I hope to be in your position next year!

Singularity

Post by Singularity » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:29 pm

mathphdhopeful wrote:
Singularity wrote:Okay, I'm back for a bit... Toronto asked me if I'm still interested? Shouldn't be a bad sign right?
I see that you got into Yale. Congrats! Out of curiosity, would you choose Toronto over Yale if you also got into Toronto? Assuming you're getting the same amount of financial aid, teaching duties,.... Just wondering because I'm currently an undergrad at UofT. Also, how do you rank UofT among the other top US schools?

Thanks and congrats again. I hope to be in your position next year!
I can't really judge before visiting both... I think thry are very different experiences. Toronto is large and Yale is small but with very good profs. Also their teaching duties and aid will not be the same. Yale offers a lot more. I'll tell you if I visit and make a decision. For now I try not to compare them because I'm still waiting for many programs.

Both are good programs though neither are considered the very top, but they are both good enough that they wouldn' limit your growth much if you are really gifted.

EGA

Post by EGA » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:08 pm

Just got admitted to Northwestern!

lothiriell

Post by lothiriell » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:18 pm

EGA wrote:Just got admitted to Northwestern!
Oooh nice! Congrats! :D Evanston seems like a fantastic place to live in and Northwestern seems awesome.

misterry

Post by misterry » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:23 pm

That's very nice. Congratulations! Did you mention any particular mathematical interests in your application?

rfz

Post by rfz » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:23 pm

Congratulations! :D

misterry

Post by misterry » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:31 pm

HOLY ****, I JUST GOT ADMITTED TO NORTHWESTERN AS WELL!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

EGA

Post by EGA » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:35 pm

misterry wrote:HOLY ****, I JUST GOT ADMITTED TO NORTHWESTERN AS WELL!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Congrats! I mentioned homotopy theory and algebraic geometry (not particular strengths of the department, but they have a couple professors that do cool work in these areas). Did you mention any particular interests?

misterry

Post by misterry » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:39 pm

EGA wrote:
misterry wrote:HOLY ****, I JUST GOT ADMITTED TO NORTHWESTERN AS WELL!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Congrats! I mentioned homotopy theory and algebraic geometry (not particular strengths of the department, but they have a couple professors that do cool work in these areas). Did you mention any particular interests?
Yeah! I also mentioned homotopy theory as a strong interest. :)

rfz

Post by rfz » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:41 pm

Congratulations! I am happy for you! :D

keith

Post by keith » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:48 pm

Has Northwestern sent out all their acceptances yet? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

rfz

Post by rfz » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:50 pm

keith wrote:Has Northwestern sent out all their acceptances yet? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I think not! We should wait :) I am too waiting. I am extremely nervous :( :D

keith

Post by keith » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:52 pm

rfz wrote:
keith wrote:Has Northwestern sent out all their acceptances yet? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I think not! We should wait :) I am too waiting. I am extremely nervous :( :D
Hope not! I am also super anxious, considering it is one of my top choices.

lothiriell

Post by lothiriell » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:58 pm

Congrats!!! I love seeing happy faces :mrgreen:

mishania1996

Post by mishania1996 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:17 pm

MIT is out

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:38 pm

lothiriell wrote:
Oooh nice! Congrats! :D Evanston seems like a fantastic place to live in and Northwestern seems awesome.
I visited Northwestern back in high school and have a few friends here as well. The campus is beautiful and the area of wonderful. Evanston is a fairly wealthy suburb of Chicago and plus the public trains (L-system) allows for you to go from Northwestern to downtown Chicago within twenty minutes.
EGA wrote:
misterry wrote:
EGA wrote:
Yeah! I also mentioned homotopy theory as a strong interest. :)
Congrats fellow future Homotopy Theorists!

gragragra

Post by gragragra » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:20 pm

Hi guys, I just received an email from UPenn this afternoon saying that they want me to have a Skype or phone call with one or two professors there or I can attend the Open house at the Feb 8-9 instead. I am wondering what does it mean by this, is this like an interview or something? Also, can someone provide some information on what will we do during the Open house?

silentdepression

Post by silentdepression » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:34 am

I got rejected from Berlin Math School phase 1. Kinda lost hope about getting into US... Applied to ... Rutgers Upenn Brown and Northwestern....

Peregrine

Post by Peregrine » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:36 pm

Looks like UNC-Chapel Hill sent out their first acceptance. Time to panic!

ximonk

Post by ximonk » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:08 pm

I'm curious but did anyone get "UCLA graduate application - problem with your data." I'm asking because I got this email on days the department released acceptances.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:19 pm

Michigan sent out their first acceptances...

lambert

Post by lambert » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:20 pm

Michigan (Ann Arbor) are also sending out their acceptances now.

Btw anyone else think that Harvard admit on gradcafe is a troll? Nobody else has posted and I doubt they would have gotten in if they "applied as a joke" and their professors thought they were not "strong candidates".

rfz

Post by rfz » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:58 pm

I am admitted to Rochester! Yeahh :D :D
My first official offer

Singularity

Post by Singularity » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:15 pm

rfz wrote:I am admitted to Rochester! Yeahh :D :D
My first official offer
Congrats!

rfz

Post by rfz » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:27 pm

Singularity wrote:
My first official offer
Congrats!
Thanks a lot! What about you?

Singularity

Post by Singularity » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:38 pm

rfz wrote:
Singularity wrote:
My first official offer
Congrats!
Thanks a lot! What about you?
I didn't hear back from anyway recently...

rfz

Post by rfz » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:44 pm

Your profile is strong. I am sure that you will be admitted to your dream school. We should wait a bit :)

Singularity

Post by Singularity » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:46 pm

rfz wrote:Your profile is strong. I am sure that you will be admitted to your dream school. We should wait a bit :)
Thanks.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:17 pm

lambert wrote: Btw anyone else think that Harvard admit on gradcafe is a troll? Nobody else has posted and I doubt they would have gotten in if they "applied as a joke" and their professors thought they were not "strong candidates".
I'd wait a couple days before jumping to conclusions.

Just got a response from the DGS of Univ. Illinois at Chicago. They won't be making decisions for a few weeks.

Bayesian1701

Post by Bayesian1701 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:18 pm

lambert wrote:Michigan (Ann Arbor) are also sending out their acceptances now.

Btw anyone else think that Harvard admit on gradcafe is a troll? Nobody else has posted and I doubt they would have gotten in if they "applied as a joke" and their professors thought they were not "strong candidates".
That sounds like it’s a troll. It could be real but it seems odd that it is the only one so far. I honestly wonder if some of them are made up if they are isolated and before the normal time frame.

home1915

Post by home1915 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:26 pm

djysyed wrote:
lambert wrote: Btw anyone else think that Harvard admit on gradcafe is a troll? Nobody else has posted and I doubt they would have gotten in if they "applied as a joke" and their professors thought they were not "strong candidates".
I'd wait a couple days before jumping to conclusions.

Just got a response from the DGS of Univ. Illinois at Chicago. They won't be making decisions for a few weeks.
So you mean UIC will send out their offers until few weeks later, say mid Feb?