Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
h5n1boy

Re: Fall 2018 Sweat Thread

Post by h5n1boy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:46 am

under_my_wng_yngGxy wrote:
h5n1boy wrote: Look like they have a serious delay. Do you happen to know when they will send the first round of acceptance letters ?

My guess would be that, despite what gradcafe would suggest, they already sent out first round offers. For instance, I know that UC Santa Cruz has already sent out first round offers, but I don't remember seeing any pure math acceptances show of gradcafe. You might want to email them; that's what I did with UCSC.
Well, I check on this forum, 2018 applicant profiles, there are some people got the acceptances from UC Santa Cruz. but no one report them to gradcafe.

Moreover, there is none acceptance reports of UCR on gradcafe and this forum. I also sent them an email and the Grad advisor of math department told me that my application is still under review. I asked him when they will send the first round of acceptances, he said he has no idea.

Peregrine

Post by Peregrine » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:10 am

comeback wrote:Does anyone know what is going on with CMU or Chapel Hill? I haven't heard anything since I applied.
I haven't heard anything from Chapel Hill either. If I remember correctly, there were a couple of acceptances creeping in on thegradcafe, but nothing new in a while. Maybe they're formulating a waitlist?

under_my_wng_yngGxy

Post by under_my_wng_yngGxy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:54 pm

junglemath wrote:What was the response of UCSC to your poke?
The usual: there will be a second round of offers in April.

under_my_wng_yngGxy

Post by under_my_wng_yngGxy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:57 pm

h5n1boy wrote:Moreover, there is none acceptance reports of UCR on gradcafe and this forum. I also sent them an email and the Grad advisor of math department told me that my application is still under review. I asked him when they will send the first round of acceptances, he said he has no idea.
Interesting. Hopefully this means we will hear something before April...

Junaid456

Post by Junaid456 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:45 pm

If you have been admitted to Arizona State with funding and don't wish to attend, please, please decline your offer ASAP. I'm on the wait list to receive funding.

FreddieBiddleBooty

Post by FreddieBiddleBooty » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:55 pm

Ohio State will announce their waitlist soon. I am #65 apparently :(

under_my_wng_yngGxy

Post by under_my_wng_yngGxy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:11 pm

FreddieBiddleBooty wrote:Ohio State will announce their waitlist soon. I am #65 apparently :(
I for one don't understand why more schools don't want masters students... :roll:

FreddieBiddleBooty

Post by FreddieBiddleBooty » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:13 pm

FreddieBiddleBooty wrote:Ohio State will announce their waitlist soon. I am #65 apparently :(
I for one don't understand why more schools don't want masters students... :roll:
Ha. I'm not sure... Perhaps because PhD students' research is usually original and contributes something. Not that masters students' work doesn't either.

6sand7s

Post by 6sand7s » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:49 pm

comeback wrote:Does anyone know what is going on with CMU or Chapel Hill? I haven't heard anything since I applied.
They sent out a first round of offers and were planning to send more. I don't know whether they have sent more offers yet, but I haven't seen any reported.

6sand7s

Post by 6sand7s » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:50 pm

Does anyone know what's going on with University of Washington? I've seen some rejects and waitlists but I don't think I've seen any acceptances. I haven't heard anything myself.

Musicbears

Post by Musicbears » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:18 pm

6sand7s wrote:Does anyone know what's going on with University of Washington? I've seen some rejects and waitlists but I don't think I've seen any acceptances. I haven't heard anything myself.
My friend got accepted and denied her offer.

Rise

Post by Rise » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:21 pm

I was one of those waitlisted at UDubs. They have already sent out their first round of offers. Professor Lee informed me that I was at the top of the waitlist and he’s waiting on how people respond to their offers at the moment.

ArtinWedderburn

Post by ArtinWedderburn » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:58 pm

6sand7s wrote:Does anyone know what's going on with University of Washington? I've seen some rejects and waitlists but I don't think I've seen any acceptances. I haven't heard anything myself.
Last Thursday UW’s graduate director emailed me and told me that I am on their shortlist of candidates whom they are expecting to make an offer, and asked me if I am still interested. I did not receive any email from them even since.

q8099086

Post by q8099086 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:55 pm

Atually as far as I know, most master students in the US will receive worse phd results. So it is really frustrating when you paid for two years’ study then even cannot enter your master’s school. I will suggest master program in Canada or France.

nothing

Post by nothing » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:59 pm

q8099086 wrote:
Atually as far as I know, most master students in the US will receive worse phd results. So it is really frustrating when you paid for two years’ study then even cannot enter your master’s school. I will suggest master program in Canada or France.
I am a master student. I think it really depends on the personal connections of the Profs at the school you got your master degree ( and also how much they like you ).

FreddieBiddleBooty

Post by FreddieBiddleBooty » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:55 pm

q8099086 wrote:
I am not sure what you mean by results. But I can tell you that it prepared me even more for PhD programs. And it gives the opportunity of making stronger connections with professors (and other PhD students), and becoming more mathematically mature. But this is just my experience.

q8099086

Post by q8099086 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:10 am

nothing wrote:
I am a master student. I think it really depends on the personal connections of the Profs at the school you got your master degree ( and also how much they like you ).
I agree with you, it is important to have connections with professors. But usually there are some restrictions for transferring, so if you cannot made that, that will be terrible.

q8099086

Post by q8099086 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:14 am

FreddieBiddleBooty wrote:
I am not sure what you mean by results. But I can tell you that it prepared me even more for PhD programs. And it gives the opportunity of making stronger connections with professors (and other PhD students), and becoming more mathematically mature. But this is just my experience.
I agree with your point. I am a master student too, and I have really learned a lot from professors, especially in the reading course and the chatting. I am just disappointed about the applying results.

Musicbears

Post by Musicbears » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:39 am

q8099086 wrote:
I agree with your point. I am a master student too, and I have really learned a lot from professors, especially in the reading course and the chatting. I am just disappointed about the applying results.
Just wondering, did you guys apply for phd and then decided to do a masters first?

FreddieBiddleBooty

Post by FreddieBiddleBooty » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:31 am

Musicbears wrote:
q8099086 wrote:
Just wondering, did you guys apply for phd and then decided to do a masters first?
This is what I did, yes. Didn't have the best UG GPA when I applied first time around and ended up masters. But don't regret it.

FreddieBiddleBooty

Post by FreddieBiddleBooty » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:33 am

q8099086 wrote:
I see what you're saying. I agree too... unfortunately it seems that not many schools are big on masters programs in mathematics, at least in the US :(

nothing

Post by nothing » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:39 am

In my case, I had a solid background as an undergrad but my toefl score was too low, so I didn't get into anywhere. I ended up being a master. I got into some decent places when I reapplied this year.
I think it also depends on your interest. For examples, they generally expected stronger background from people with interests in Number Theory and Algebraic Geometry.

FreddieBiddleBooty

Post by FreddieBiddleBooty » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:42 am

nothing wrote:In my case, I had a solid background as an undergrad but my toefl score was too low, so I didn't get into anywhere. I ended up being a master. I got into some decent places when I reapplied this year.
I think it also depends on your interest. For examples, they generally expected stronger background from people with interests in Number Theory and Algebraic Geometry.
I did not think about that, but you are probably right! I applied for number theory/arithmetic geometry, which is notoriously difficult - yet, on record, I have only had 4 core grad courses and 2 topics courses. Maybe this has a lot to do with the bulk of my rejections!

Musicbears

Post by Musicbears » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:45 am

nothing wrote:In my case, I had a solid background as an undergrad but my toefl score was too low, so I didn't get into anywhere. I ended up being a master. I got into some decent places when I reapplied this year.
I did not think about that, but you are probably right! I applied for number theory/arithmetic geometry, which is notoriously difficult - yet, on record, I have only had 4 core grad courses and 2 topics courses. Maybe this has a lot to do with the bulk of my rejections!
I didn't know that it was normal to apply to a specific area for your phd. I had the most generic application. I barely mentioned what I wanted to study and just focused on what I have studied. Based on my experience, I don't think what you want to study matters all that much, as long as you show potential to do research based on your recs, mgres, and grades in grad courses. Though it seems recs are the most important. Apparently it's quite normal for grad students to change their mind on their interest after more exposure to different fields.

nothing

Post by nothing » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:53 am

I think it depends on the schools. I know some Profs at some places and they did tell me the committees consider your background given your research interests.
Also, it could be very dangerous if you mention some Profs you want to work with. At some places, your file will be forwarded to the Prof that you mentioned in your SOP. If he/she isn't interested in you then it's very likely that you get rejected ( unless your letters are super wrong )

badatmath

Post by badatmath » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:15 pm

To those that applied to UC Riverside, how long did it take for your GRE scores to reflect onto your application as received? I sent mine in over a week ago, but it still shows it wasn't received.

And also I'm assuming no one has heard back on a decision yet? :cry:

FreddieBiddleBooty

Post by FreddieBiddleBooty » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:02 pm

nothing wrote:I think it depends on the schools. I know some Profs at some places and they did tell me the committees consider your background given your research interests.
Also, it could be very dangerous if you mention some Profs you want to work with. At some places, your file will be forwarded to the Prof that you mentioned in your SOP. If he/she isn't interested in you then it's very likely that you get rejected ( unless your letters are super wrong )
Yeah I was told this too. However, I am pretty set on researching a specific field and thus mentioned professors I wanted to work with. If they don't want to work with me then that's fine because I wouldn't want to work with anyone else!

All in all, it could be better to have no specific interest to begin with.

under_my_wng_yngGxy

Post by under_my_wng_yngGxy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:57 pm

badatmath wrote:To those that applied to UC Riverside, how long did it take for your GRE scores to reflect onto your application as received? I sent mine in over a week ago, but it still shows it wasn't received.

It took quite awhile (over 2 weeks), so I wouldn't worry about it not showing up. If you sent it over a week ago then they more than likely have it by now.

wubbalubba

Post by wubbalubba » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:37 pm

Just got an email from Ohio notifying me that I am on the waitlist. I am placed above top 10. Hope this will turn out well... :?

FreddieBiddleBooty

Post by FreddieBiddleBooty » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:45 pm

wubbalubba wrote:Just got an email from Ohio notifying me that I am on the waitlist. I am placed above top 10. Hope this will turn out well... :?
Same! Although I am near last :( Not the very last though! Good luck.

wubbalubba

Post by wubbalubba » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:53 pm

wubbalubba wrote:Just got an email from Ohio notifying me that I am on the waitlist. I am placed above top 10. Hope this will turn out well... :?
Same! Although I am near last :( Not the very last though! Good luck.
Thanks! Good luck to you as well.

h5n1boy

Post by h5n1boy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:10 pm

badatmath wrote:To those that applied to UC Riverside, how long did it take for your GRE scores to reflect onto your application as received? I sent mine in over a week ago, but it still shows it wasn't received.

It took me a week, but they said after ten days and it still doesn't show online, you can always call them. ( My friend called UCR because they didn't update his profile on the portal. They requested him to send the pdf file via email )

I believe they are still working on reviewing the applications.

kkatekk

Post by kkatekk » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:42 am

Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone here back from Davis applied math? I have not heard anything from them yet. I am so worried.

h5n1boy

Post by h5n1boy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:57 am

kkatekk wrote:Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone here back from Davis applied math? I have not heard anything from them yet. I am so worried.
My friend got a email last week asked for an interview this week. ( Pure math )

iamgoudan

Post by iamgoudan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:44 pm

I just wonder what the circumstance is when a grad coordinator never reply your inquiries by email ? :?
Last edited by iamgoudan on Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mathematics

Post by mathematics » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:49 pm

Public service announcement / request that you should decline programs you won't attend as soon as possible. I have followed my own prescription 8)

goobie

Post by goobie » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:26 pm

Anybody heard anything from CUNY?

I'm guessing they've sent out offers by now (which doesn't bode well for me), but I haven't seen anything on here or gradcafe.

home1915

Post by home1915 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:12 pm

goobie wrote:Anybody heard anything from CUNY?

I'm guessing they've sent out offers by now (which doesn't bode well for me), but I haven't seen anything on here or gradcafe.
How do you know? I still haven't hear back.

Rise

Post by Rise » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:14 pm

goobie wrote:Anybody heard anything from CUNY?

I don't see anything on Gradcafe either, but it looks like people were emailing them to ask around this time last year and in 2016.

samsck

Post by samsck » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:37 am

Did anyone hear back from Iowa pure math and UBC PhD ?
I know UBC has already made Masters offers but no clue about PhD.

thecaffeinemachine

Post by thecaffeinemachine » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:56 am

Reminder : People who have decided to not go to the universities they attended for open houses, please withdraw your applications...

csjnum

Post by csjnum » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:09 pm

Has anyone else received invitation to open house at Brandeis?
Last edited by csjnum on Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SimplePepe

Post by SimplePepe » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:21 pm

First round of acceptances were made on late Jan. My guess is that you could be waitlisted for second round.

qin2718

Post by qin2718 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:49 am

I emailed Boston college and was informed waitlisted.
please decline if you do not plan to go there

Tianma799

Post by Tianma799 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:52 am

h5n1boy wrote:

My friend got a email last week asked for an interview this week. ( Pure math )
Did not get such an email :( guess I am going to be rejected.

wubbalubba

Post by wubbalubba » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:52 pm

Does anyone get accepted to Buffalo? (Nothing on gradcafe)
It is so weird they remain silent while they first said the result will be out early Feb...

indianatopology

Post by indianatopology » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:08 pm

qin2718 wrote:I emailed Boston college and was informed waitlisted.
please decline if you do not plan to go there
Who did you email to ask about your application status?

Junaid456

Post by Junaid456 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:26 pm

Has anyone heard back from Waterloo (MS Pure Math)?

kieroda

Post by kieroda » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:36 pm

Junaid456 wrote:Has anyone heard back from Waterloo (MS Pure Math)?
David Jao posted on reddit that international admissions for Waterloo should be out in a week or so.

Junaid456

Post by Junaid456 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:30 am

kieroda wrote:
Junaid456 wrote:Has anyone heard back from Waterloo (MS Pure Math)?
David Jao posted on reddit that international admissions for Waterloo should be out in a week or so.
I asked him the same question of reddit a month or so ago, and he told me that the different faculties (applied math, actuarial sciences etc.) make decisions at independently. I'm assuming he means that international students from all the faculties will get a response in mid March. I also emailed the pure math program coordinator and she told me that:
Currently our Admissions committee has reviewed your application and has put your application on Hold. I am sorry that I cannot confirm a final decision from them at this time. Hopefully we will have an answer for you within the next few weeks.
I'm not sure what to make of it now, assuming that no international student has received an acceptance from any of the faculties in the math dept. In any case, from what I know, the pure math program accepts only 8-10 students every year, so I don't expect to get in. Fingers crossed, though.