Lost GRE scores?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
PJCazorla

Lost GRE scores?

Post by PJCazorla » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:29 pm

Hey everyone,

I have had a strange problem regarding my mGRE scores for the October exam, since they were not available online by last Saturday, which was exactly 5 weeks from the test exam, and it turns out I just got the following email:

----
Dear Test Taker:

This letter is in regards to the GRE® paper-delivered Subject test you took on October 27, 2018. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide scores for this test administration because testing materials from the center where you tested were not received at ETS.

As a result, you have the following options:

Take a makeup GRE Subject Test scheduled for January 05, 2019 at the same test center. The test time and reporting address will be the same as your original GRE Subject Test appointment.

If you would like to take the January 05, 2019 makeup GRE Subject Test, no further action is needed. You will just need to show up to your original test center no later than 8:00 AM on January 05, 2019. Please remember to bring acceptable ID and number 2 pencils to your makeup test date.

If you would prefer not to take the makeup test date, you may also request a full refund by contacting GRE services.

If you wish to contact your score recipients to explain why your test scores will be delayed, please feel free to provide them with a copy of this letter.

We sincerely regret any inconvenience this matter may have caused you. If you have any further questions, please contact GRE services at 1-609-771-7670.

Sincerely,

GRE Services
----
I find the situation to be really strange, so I was wondering if someone has experienced similar problems, and can advise on what to do from here. On the one hand, I do not know if I'll be able to do the exam again due to economic restraints (I live in Spain and had to go to Portugal to sit the exam, since there is no exam centre in Spain but flights and accommodation in Lisbon are way too expensive during those dates). Do you think I could get ETS to either pay for my flight and accommodation or establish a test centre in Madrid?

Also, I am a bit concerned that this will reduce my options to the programmes I am applying to since scores won't be available until very late, and most places could be filled by other people. What's your opinion on this? Do you think that colleges will be understanding if I mention the issue on my applications, maybe posting the previous email? Is there any way I could make ETS responsible for this possible disadvantage?

I'd find it strange if I were the only one with this issue, so it'd be great to know if somebody else is (or has been) on the same situation.

Thanks!

ethanmhny

Re: Lost GRE scores?

Post by ethanmhny » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:44 pm

Wow, that's awful. If you can't make the retake happen for financial/logistical reasons, definitely get that refund and explain your situation to all the programs that require the mGRE you're trying to apply to. My guess is that most people will be sympathetic toward your situation once you explain it, but I have no idea if that'll mitigate the negative effect of an absent score on the admissions process. I hope it does!

MathCat

Post by MathCat » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:38 pm

I would explain to programs you are applying to what has happened and that you cannot take it again for financial reasons as there is no testing center in your country. It may still hurt you at some places, but I know a couple of people who got it waived due to not having testing centers in their countries.

Sorry this happened to you. It really sucks. I did hear a similar story (in fact maybe read it on this forum several years ago?) about all the tests from a testing center in Ireland being lost.

PJCazorla

Post by PJCazorla » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:35 pm

Thanks a lot for the support guys!

I think that I will probably try to contact ETS and try to force them to accept their responsibility on this topic and either establish a test center in Madrid (which is probably going nuts) or paying for my travel and accommodation expenses to Lisbon.

Will let you know how it goes!!

PJCazorla

Post by PJCazorla » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:52 pm

Hey folks,

I'm just commenting to let you know the final outcome of the thing, in case someone experiences a similar situation in the future.

In the end, I decided to contact ETS with a somewhat aggresive email, informing them of the effects that their negligence and demanding that they assumed responsability for it. In particular, I asked them to look for the exams more throughoutly and, in the case where they couldn't be found, either pay for my expenses for the retake in Portugal or establish a test centre in Madrid where I could sit the exam. Actually, I threatened them with taking legal action against them if my demands were not satisfied. This was kind of a bluff, btw, but hey why not? :P

It took a bit long for them to answer back, but they actually found a test centre in Madrid where I could take the makeup exam. The only issue is that such centre could only offer the exam on January 19th or 26th, which is 2 and 3 weeks after the original makeup date, respectively. Of course, considering that my test scores would be delayed even if I tested on January 5th, an additional delay of 2 weeks minimum could ruin my application, so I was a bit concerned about this.

For this reason, I asked them if they could guarantee that my scores would be published within 1 or 2 weeks of the test date, to minimise the disruption. Alternatively, I was also happy if they paid for my expenses for the January 5th exam in Portugal. At this point, the ETS officer I was talking with was not very clear on the details, and even sent me contradictory emails (on one, it said that I would be refunded for my expenses for the October 27th test NO MATTER WHAT, while on other, the officer offered to refund for the January 5th exam if I took the exam in Portugal - quite messy in the end) so I asked her to clarify. And...

It turns out that the exams actually appeared (quite suspicious, if you ask me, but I got a 870 - 89% so I'm not gonna complain) and the results were published on ETS website yesterday morning, so there is no need for me to retake the exam (in case you were wondering, it is not offered anymore). Also, they will send the reports to my institutions tomorrow so that's a happy ending!

That's why I feel that if this happens again, you should really press them and be aggressive (you know, not impolite, but definitely firm). There's no guarantee that the exams will be found (or the scores made up), but at least you can probably manage to get some better conditions, like retaking the exam in your hometown or covering for travel expenses, as I did.

DDswife

Post by DDswife » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:44 pm

Excellent!

Geraldhat

Lost GRE scores

Post by Geraldhat » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:04 pm

Art,
WOW... that is truly a testament to your fine work.
Great looking knife too...
Blessing in disguise for you that he lost it Also incredible that he found it again.

elgringo

Post by elgringo » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:29 pm

Just came here to comment that I took the same test in the same room. For me, I wish the exams had remained lost as I got a very crappy score :P :P But well, I got accepted into one Graduate school I liked so it's not that bad.