How are the applications going?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
athulyaram

How are the applications going?

Post by athulyaram » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:33 pm

So, a lot of university deadlines are over (Dec 1 - 15) and some of them are coming up in January. I'm in that phase where I have completed most of my important applications and has nothing better to do than wait. So I thought we could discuss the progress in this thread while we wait impatiently for 1-2 months.
Have you heard back from any places? I saw an r/math post about a person who already got accepted (don't remember the university).

I haven't heard back from any university except for an interview from Georgia Tech. I applied for their Quantitative Biosciences program through Dept of Mathematics, and I was interviewed by a math prof last week. I hear that it is a fairly standard interview for all candidates, so nothing special.

What about you guys?

superballzach

Re: How are the applications going?

Post by superballzach » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:48 pm

Just submitted my application for Utah, and I'm almost done with my UC Santa Barbara application. After that, they'll all be submitted, and the dreaded waiting game will commence. Best of luck, everyone!

clarenthol

Post by clarenthol » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:34 pm

Last edited by clarenthol on Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:39 pm

Finished my first round of applications ABOUT A WEEK AGOOOOOOO... Now on to round two

Zenan

Post by Zenan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:42 pm

Waiting makes me nervous, so I tried to make myself busy, then I will forget about the application :D :D :D .

Aramark

Post by Aramark » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:01 am

Finished all my apps. Had a bit of a recommendation saga* but that's finally over so I'm just trying to do some math and not think about things until I get 15 rejections back :^)

Basically, one guy I asked was like yeah omit certain schools from your list, you won't get in and it does take time to write letters to a bunch of places. My others were slightly happier about my chances so I still wanted to take the shot, so I asked a 4th person. And so I gave one of my other writers who was kind of busy a break (wrote for 9 instead of 15 places). But the first guy just disappeared for some reason, so I had to add the last person to another 6 more schools after I submitted all those apps. :(

jimmy

Post by jimmy » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:26 am

Aramark wrote:Finished all my apps. Had a bit of a recommendation saga* but that's finally over so I'm just trying to do some math and not think about things until I get 15 rejections back :^)

Basically, one guy I asked was like yeah omit certain schools from your list, you won't get in and it does take time to write letters to a bunch of places. My others were slightly happier about my chances so I still wanted to take the shot, so I asked a 4th person. And so I gave one of my other writers who was kind of busy a break (wrote for 9 instead of 15 places). But the first guy just disappeared for some reason, so I had to add the last person to another 6 more schools after I submitted all those apps. :(
Did the guy tell you why you won't get into the top schools?

Aramark

Post by Aramark » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:24 am

jimmy wrote:
Aramark wrote:Finished all my apps. Had a bit of a recommendation saga* but that's finally over so I'm just trying to do some math and not think about things until I get 15 rejections back :^)

Did the guy tell you why you won't get into the top schools?
So, he feels like the only people who get into top 6 did serious research in undergrad. Thing is, a grad student told me that few people in his class had such research, and he knows folk at other top 6 places which didn't. That + other professors being happier about my shot is why I decided to go for it anyway.

lippyrogue

Post by lippyrogue » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:44 am

Aramark wrote: So, he feels like the only people who get into top 6 did serious research in undergrad. Thing is, a grad student told me that few people in his class had such research, and he knows folk at other top 6 places which didn't. That + other professors being happier about my shot is why I decided to go for it anyway.
Is that prof from UChicago? If so then what he said makes no sense (assuming that he considers UChicago a top 6 school, which is very reasonable) since he should be aware that a good chunk of the PhD student at UChicago doesn't have significant research as an undergrad. Anyway I think it's good that you decided to go for it :D

Geraldhat

How are the applications going

Post by Geraldhat » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:00 pm

....To all of the "Man with a gun" calls that are going to be swarming the 911 call centers after 1/1/16?