University of Washington applied math

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
lurenjia12138

University of Washington applied math

Post by lurenjia12138 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:05 pm

Anyone received the offer from UW applied math PhD??

julienguyen

Re: University of Washington applied math

Post by julienguyen » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:30 pm

lol looks like 2 people got accepted (source: grad cafe)

lurenjia12138

Post by lurenjia12138 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:28 am

julienguyen wrote:lol looks like 2 people got accepted (source: grad cafe)
Did you get offer or interview? Same source with yours

optimisticnihilist

Post by optimisticnihilist » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:08 am

I'm curious, are the decisions regarding international applicants made after those regarding domestic applicants? I haven't received an offer but I'm hoping that's because I'm international and they haven't reviewed mine yet
Last edited by optimisticnihilist on Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lurenjia12138

Post by lurenjia12138 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:26 am

optimisticnihilist wrote:I'm curious, are the decisions regarding international applicants made after those regarding domestic applicants? I haven't received an offer but I'm hoping that's because I'm international and they haven't reviewed mine yet :P
Cause some funding just available for American I think

occamsshampoo

Post by occamsshampoo » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:44 pm

I got a funded (either as a TA or RA) master's offer but no phd
Last edited by occamsshampoo on Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calypso

Post by Calypso » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:04 pm

do all people who get master on waitlist for phd?

lurenjia12138

Post by lurenjia12138 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:31 pm

Calypso wrote:do all people who get master on waitlist for phd?
I got nothing, how about you?

optimisticnihilist

Post by optimisticnihilist » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:36 pm

Nothing yet! I saw only one international accepted for the PhD program on gradcafe though..

lurenjia12138

Post by lurenjia12138 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:51 pm

optimisticnihilist wrote:Nothing yet! I saw only one international accepted for the PhD program on gradcafe though..
I know many international students got unfunded master offers and one got funded phd offer

slipperysam

Post by slipperysam » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:59 pm

I am one of those who received the offer to the on-campus unfunded MS, rejected from the PhD.

Curious if people have opinions on this. I mean, it's nice to be invited to something rather than a flat rejection, but I don't really plan on paying for the degree out of pocket. I think if I was offered funded I probably would.

But as far as the MS program itself goes, what do you think of it? Is it one of the typical "cash cow" programs? It seems like they extend the MS offer to many of the PhD rejects, so it kinda leads me to think rather cynically that this is a way for them to pump in some cash for the school..

Calypso

Post by Calypso » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:27 pm

lurenjia12138 wrote:
Calypso wrote:do all people who get master on waitlist for phd?
I got nothing, how about you?
I got on the waitlist for phd and unfunded ms.

lurenjia12138

Post by lurenjia12138 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:38 pm

slipperysam wrote:I am one of those who received the offer to the on-campus unfunded MS, rejected from the PhD.

Curious if people have opinions on this. I mean, it's nice to be invited to something rather than a flat rejection, but I don't really plan on paying for the degree out of pocket. I think if I was offered funded I probably would.

But as far as the MS program itself goes, what do you think of it? Is it one of the typical "cash cow" programs? It seems like they extend the MS offer to many of the PhD rejects, so it kinda leads me to think rather cynically that this is a way for them to pump in some cash for the school..
Wow, I even don't deserve being a cash cow, so sad

optimisticnihilist

Post by optimisticnihilist » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:33 pm

Rejected guys! My first rejection.

slipperysam

Post by slipperysam » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:07 pm

So, no one has opinions on the MS?

I imagine it is a solid program from an applied perspective, like for people in industry looking to further their education and applicable skills. But I'm curious about its potential as a segue to doctoral studies. Obviously, you can try to transfer into the UW PhD from the UW MS, but what about other schools?

eulerphi

Post by eulerphi » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:58 pm

slipperysam wrote:So, no one has opinions on the MS?

I imagine it is a solid program from an applied perspective, like for people in industry looking to further their education and applicable skills. But I'm curious about its potential as a segue to doctoral studies. Obviously, you can try to transfer into the UW PhD from the UW MS, but what about other schools?
I'm a current PhD student in this department so maybe I can offer some perspective. The masters program is a big source of funding for the department, and there is a fairly large online program which is popular among people who already have jobs or don't live in the Seattle area. That said, the program doesn't admit everyone, and generally tries to fund masters students if they have money available.

It is not uncommon for MS students to join the PhD program (in my year there were 2-3, and in the year below me I think also 2). MS students also go on to PhD programs at other schools (last year I knew people who are no in PhD programs at Columbia and Northwestern). That said, its in no way a guaranteed path to a PhD program, and our MS students are regularly rejected from our PhD program when they apply.