How would a Skype interview be like?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
bbym

How would a Skype interview be like?

Post by bbym » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:08 pm

I received Skype interview requests from two of the U.S. schools that I applied (both pure math PhD programs), but I have no idea about how they are. It seems the interviews would not be too long, 15-30min each I believe. Has anyone done such kind of interviews before? How are they like? It would be more than helpful if you could share your own experience or thoughts of the interview. Thanks :)

jrayers97

Re: How would a Skype interview be like?

Post by jrayers97 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:27 pm

I did an interview for a program. It really isn't anything to be worried about, from my experience they just asked me about my research, goals, classes, and my application.

bbym

Post by bbym » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:33 pm

jrayers97 wrote:I did an interview for a program. It really isn't anything to be worried about, from my experience they just asked me about my research, goals, classes, and my application.
Thanks a lot! It is really helpful :D

optimisticnihilist

Post by optimisticnihilist » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:00 am

If it's a technical interview, they will ask you about your research and possibly about your past coursework. I had a 15 minute interview where they only touched upon soft skills; they basically wanted to know why I applied to their program, why I wanted to do a PhD and what separates me from other applicants.

hachiryu

Post by hachiryu » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:05 am

I had a skype interview and the breakdown was essentially:
40% small-talk
15% mathematics (my research)
15% interviewer asking questions about me to learn about my personality/social skills
30% me asking questions about their programme
It was very relaxed! I got the impression that they just wanted to know I was human.