Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
OwlMath

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Post by OwlMath » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:21 pm

KYDKON95 wrote:What do they mean "Accepted via Website " santabarbara posts in gradcafe?
Having received an acceptance from UCSB, the way it worked was I received an email notifying me that the status of my application had been updated through the application portal. After logging back into my application, there was a letter of acceptance there. This is different from other schools where you just get an email with your letter of acceptance.

KYDKON95

Post by KYDKON95 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:00 pm

OwlMath wrote:
KYDKON95 wrote:What do they mean "Accepted via Website " santabarbara posts in gradcafe?
Having received an acceptance from UCSB, the way it worked was I received an email notifying me that the status of my application had been updated through the application portal. After logging back into my application, there was a letter of acceptance there. This is different from other schools where you just get an email with your letter of acceptance.
thanks m8

basically_trash

Post by basically_trash » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:31 pm

Bottomology wrote:I’m starting to get nervous, since most of the schools I applied to have already admitted people. Does anyone know how common it is for schools to accept in waves?
From this Website, you can always look at last year's 2018 Applicant Profiles -- look at their acceptance dates for your schools of interest, and note if there are gaps. For example, maybe you'll notice some students are admitted in January, while others in February, and still others in March for the same school. That would imply that the school admits in waves/rounds/batches.

Alternatively, you can go to Grad Cafe (thegradcafe.com) and do a search for your school's program. You will see admission history dates and can infer if your school always admits just one batch, or if your school spreads out its admissions over time. For example, if you search for "*Math Chicago", you can see Pure Math admissions in January and March while Applied Math admissions are in February. You may also find that the order of admissions varies even within the department -- some schools admit applied first, then pure, while others do pure first and applied, etc.

It's not a Sweat Thread unless we're starting to sweat...

Good luck.
Last edited by basically_trash on Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MMDE

Post by MMDE » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:39 pm

Seems to be a slow day for admissions.

Bottomology

Post by Bottomology » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:24 pm

Looks like Michigan came out today. As usual, no acceptance for me. I'm utterly terrified now...

KYDKON95

Post by KYDKON95 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:41 pm

Bottomology wrote:Looks like Michigan came out today. As usual, no acceptance for me. I'm utterly terrified now...
Relax m8 . If it's any comfort I only had 2 out of 14 replied

ponchan

Post by ponchan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:49 pm

Michigan last year staggered their acceptances from late Jan through April. I wouldn't worry too much yet.

Bottomology

Post by Bottomology » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:50 pm

KYDKON95 wrote:
Bottomology wrote:Looks like Michigan came out today. As usual, no acceptance for me. I'm utterly terrified now...
I've had 3 out of 15 replies (acceptance from my safety and two rejections), but for about 7 other schools, I know that other people got in while I heard nothing. That leads me to assume I will be rejected.

MMDE

Post by MMDE » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:08 pm

Bottomology wrote:
KYDKON95 wrote:
I've had 3 out of 15 replies (acceptance from my safety and two rejections), but for about 7 other schools, I know that other people got in while I heard nothing. That leads me to assume I will be rejected.
I've also only heard back from 2 out of 15, and about 6 of my remaining schools have sent out offers to people already. Still remaining optimistic.

prospectivestudent69

Post by prospectivestudent69 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:11 pm

Will any notifications be sent out over the weekend or am I free to not stare at gradcafe for a couple days lol

MMDE

Post by MMDE » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:37 pm

prospectivestudent69 wrote:Will any notifications be sent out over the weekend or am I free to not stare at gradcafe for a couple days lol
As far as I know, they usually don't send anything over the weekend.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:53 pm

MMDE wrote:
prospectivestudent69 wrote:Will any notifications be sent out over the weekend or am I free to not stare at gradcafe for a couple days lol
UCSD sent out my rejection at 2am so anything's possible :)

Also, did I just see a Johns Hopkins acceptance?!?

basically_trash

Post by basically_trash » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:32 pm

MMDE wrote:
With just two pieces of data, I say it depends on the school.

For one school, I got an email from the Graduate Coordinator on a Sunday morning saying I am admitted, with a follow-up email from "the Graduate School" on a Monday saying "log into the system to check your status."

For another school, I just got the seemingly-automated one-sentence email on a Wednesday saying "log into the system to check your status".

Since there isn't a "standard" admissions process that every school follows, a general question like "Will any notifications be sent out...." is hard to answer with anything more specific than "it depends...."

It's your choice as to whether you want to sweat it out on the sweat thread, or try to enjoy your weekend without visiting gradcafe. :)

FourierTransformer

Post by FourierTransformer » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:21 am

djysyed wrote:
MMDE wrote:
UCSD sent out my rejection at 2am so anything's possible :)

Also, did I just see a Johns Hopkins acceptance?!?
Probably ... I got a Johns Hopkins acceptance.
Last edited by FourierTransformer on Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

FourierTransformer

Post by FourierTransformer » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:23 am

Is anyone baffled by how many Duke rejections there are? I just saw someone who got into Berkeley who got rejected from Duke and I've seen more Duke rejections than any other rejections so far. It's a really really good school, but I didn't think it was good enough for them to be as selective as I've seen.

LordWiki

Post by LordWiki » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:30 am

FourierTransformer wrote:Is anyone baffled by how many Duke rejections there are? I just saw someone who got into Berkeley who got rejected from Duke and I've seen more Duke rejections than any other rejections so far. It's a really really good school, but I didn't think it was good enough for them to be as selective as I've seen.
It's possible that less professors are taking students this year. You never know.

ponchan

Post by ponchan » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:12 am

FourierTransformer wrote:Is anyone baffled by how many Duke rejections there are? I just saw someone who got into Berkeley who got rejected from Duke and I've seen more Duke rejections than any other rejections so far. It's a really really good school, but I didn't think it was good enough for them to be as selective as I've seen.

It's not weird. They just happened to do it this year before other similar schools. I bet next week there will be a ton of rejections from, say, Cornell, Brown, Wisconsin, etc.

Also, Duke does have a waitlist (hopefully small, since I'm on it).

Bottomology

Post by Bottomology » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:05 pm

I got rejected from Duke, which came as a surprise - most people are telling me that they’re surprised too. I’m also a little spooked...worried that there’s something terribly wrong with my application and I will do very poorly this cycle.

KYDKON95

Post by KYDKON95 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:53 pm

Bottomology wrote:
I got rejected from Duke, which came as a surprise - most people are telling me that they’re surprised too. I’m also a little spooked...worried that there’s something terribly wrong with my application and I will do very poorly this cycle.
You don't need to do well you just need 1 acceptance . Take it easy :D

Bottomology

Post by Bottomology » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:08 pm

Haha i’m worried that every school is gonna reject me...most of the schools i applied to have accepted people and I have heard nothing :(

ya

Post by ya » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:14 pm

Bottomology wrote:I got rejected from Duke, which came as a surprise - most people are telling me that they’re surprised too. I’m also a little spooked...worried that there’s something terribly wrong with my application and I will do very poorly this cycle.
I also got rejected from Duke, but got into Berkeley. It is somewhat surprising but Duke has a quite small program, so it's possible they just had too many good applicants in this cycle. I don't think you should stress too much, it is still quite early and many schools seem to accept in waves. But good luck! It is a very stressful time for all of us. :roll:

Bottomology

Post by Bottomology » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:26 pm

ya wrote:
Bottomology wrote:I got rejected from Duke, which came as a surprise - most people are telling me that they’re surprised too. I’m also a little spooked...worried that there’s something terribly wrong with my application and I will do very poorly this cycle.
I also got rejected from Duke, but got into Berkeley. It is somewhat surprising but Duke has a quite small program, so it's possible they just had too many good applicants in this cycle. I don't think you should stress too much, it is still quite early and many schools seem to accept in waves. But good luck! It is a very stressful time for all of us. :roll:
Congrats on Berkeley! I’ve only gotten into Georgia Tech so far, and got rejected from Duke and Princeton. Schools like Michigan, UCLA, etc have all taken people and I’ve heard nothing about them accepting in waves, so I have a feeling I’m already rejected.

ya

Post by ya » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:30 pm

Bottomology wrote: Congrats on Berkeley! I’ve only gotten into Georgia Tech so far, and got rejected from Duke and Princeton. Schools like Michigan, UCLA, etc have all taken people and I’ve heard nothing about them accepting in waves, so I have a feeling I’m already rejected.
Thanks! I also got into GA Tech (so maybe I'll see you there during the visitors weekend :D ). And same for Duke and Princeton. I think (?) Michigan accepted people in waves in the previous years (according to grad cafe) so there's still a chance!

Bottomology

Post by Bottomology » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:34 pm

ya wrote:
Bottomology wrote: Congrats on Berkeley! I’ve only gotten into Georgia Tech so far, and got rejected from Duke and Princeton. Schools like Michigan, UCLA, etc have all taken people and I’ve heard nothing about them accepting in waves, so I have a feeling I’m already rejected.
Thanks! I also got into GA Tech (so maybe I'll see you there during the visitors weekend :D ). And same for Duke and Princeton. I think (?) Michigan accepted people in waves in the previous years (according to grad cafe) so there's still a chance!
Yeah, I'm going to GA Tech visitors' weekend. I hope Michigan accepts in waves, and hopefully it's just as big as the first one. Fingers crossed...

I'm also going to Penn's open house this week. Anyone know what's the deal with that? Is it a type of thing where it's essentially an audition and they'll decide whether or not to accept us there? Or is it just a formality?

lzxnl

Post by lzxnl » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:54 pm

I got an email from a MIT professor saying that he's interested in me (I mentioned wanting to work with him in my application) and telling me that while he's trying to get me admitted, admissions are tight and that he's 'not in charge of them'. He was also happy to ask and answer some questions. This suggests that Applied Maths offers are probably still coming. Maybe I'll get one?

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:46 pm

lzxnl wrote:I got an email from a MIT professor saying that he's interested in me (I mentioned wanting to work with him in my application) and telling me that while he's trying to get me admitted, admissions are tight and that he's 'not in charge of them'. He was also happy to ask and answer some questions. This suggests that Applied Maths offers are probably still coming. Maybe I'll get one?
Wow that's really great news! I've seen cases where its one professor versus the entire admissions committee so, while its not entirely impossible for you to receive an acceptance, I wouldn't be worried if you are not admitted. Besides, a professor from THE MIT taking a liking to you suggests that you will likely become a very strong mathematician :)

RiemannZetaFn

Post by RiemannZetaFn » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:29 am

So i've not taken the GRE test yet, i hope to take it this coming april. I see every one posting about upper 70percentile and stuff for PHD programs. Is the percentile much lower for say a MA program in mathematics? I know it varies by institution, but one of the head math people at my institution told me if i got a 50% that is a really good sign i'll get accepted even if my grades weren't so hot.

Basically i would muddle through the class and scrounge up a C, but i rarely came in for help which turns out is expected for upper level math. I've always been the type to work solo and almost cry until things finally clicked lol. I did my first attempt at a graduate level course, it was on measure theory and the lebesgue integral and thoroughly drowned, but some things were slowly clicking and it is what piqued my interest to further pursue math beyond a BA. Essentially i had reached my limit, but it did not seem impossible, and so i'm curious what is possible. I'm also in my early 30's if that matters. My high school gpa cummulative was a 1.33 and i pretty much flunked out of community college so my past is rather unappealing lol and would definitely not leverage me any points.

occamsshampoo

Post by occamsshampoo » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:51 am

One of my recommenders never submitted a letter to Maryland! To make things even better, it's the one who suggested that I apply there in the first place!

sasco4

Post by sasco4 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:49 pm

Anyone else still waiting to hear from U Oregon? Do we think they’re sending in waves or am I waitlisted if I haven’t heard anything yet?

emecece2

Post by emecece2 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:42 pm

So, I haven't received anything by email, but today I checked the application website for Cornell, and it says I've been admitted! It almost doesn't feel real! I suppose I'll write them this week if they don't get in contact by mail first.

I was already starting to worry about admissions, since all universities I applied to had already sent out acceptances and I made some risky choices of universities (my profile is not strong in my opinion). So, check the websites! You might find a pleasant surprise.

acrt19

Post by acrt19 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:55 pm

emecece2 wrote:So, I haven't received anything by email, but today I checked the application website for Cornell, and it says I've been admitted! It almost doesn't feel real! I suppose I'll write them this week if they don't get in contact by mail first.

I was already starting to worry about admissions, since all universities I applied to had already sent out acceptances and I made some risky choices of universities (my profile is not strong in my opinion). So, check the websites! You might find a pleasant surprise.
Pure or applied?

emecece2

Post by emecece2 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:03 pm

acrt19 wrote:
emecece2 wrote:So, I haven't received anything by email, but today I checked the application website for Cornell, and it says I've been admitted! It almost doesn't feel real! I suppose I'll write them this week if they don't get in contact by mail first.

Pure or applied?
Pure.

sirpindar

Post by sirpindar » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:00 am

Could you please tell which application website you are referring to? Is it the ApplyWeb account and if so, where exactly does it say that you've been admitted? Thanks in advance!

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:03 am

Rumor has it that quite a few schools will be releasing decisions tomorrow. I do not know which schools but I heard that there will be many schools.

ponchan

Post by ponchan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:14 am

djysyed wrote:Rumor has it that quite a few schools will be releasing decisions tomorrow. I do not know which schools but I heard that there will be many schools.
According to whom?

ponchan

Post by ponchan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:15 am

djysyed wrote:Rumor has it that quite a few schools will be releasing decisions tomorrow. I do not know which schools but I heard that there will be many schools.
Again, follow your own rule: "All information about schools should have cited evidence."

Bottomology

Post by Bottomology » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:37 pm

Nothing so far haha

ethanmhny

Post by ethanmhny » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:06 pm

Accepted at U of Vermont! Wasn't really on pins and needles about that one, but still, nice to have an acceptance in hand

Mr.Scholze

Post by Mr.Scholze » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:16 pm

There will be four today. :lol:

emecece2

Post by emecece2 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:53 pm

sirpindar wrote:

Could you please tell which application website you are referring to? Is it the ApplyWeb account and if so, where exactly does it say that you've been admitted? Thanks in advance!
Yes, it's ApplyWeb. The link to the decision letter showed up right above where it shows you the status of your recommendation letters.

They emailed me a couple hours ago, I suppose they were waiting for the week to start.

lurenjia12138

Post by lurenjia12138 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:00 pm

Rej form UMD and ICME, sad day

FourierTransformer

Post by FourierTransformer » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:48 pm

lurenjia12138 wrote:Rej form UMD and ICME, sad day
Pure or Applied?

stressed123

Post by stressed123 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:50 pm

Is Columbia really late this year? I saw that some emails were sent. If you did not receive one is it all over for you?

LordWiki

Post by LordWiki » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:01 pm

stressed123 wrote:Is Columbia really late this year? I saw that some emails were sent. If you did not receive one is it all over for you?
Are you asking for pure or applied? I applied for pure and I haven’t heard anything yet.

ponchan

Post by ponchan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:12 pm

Is anyone else on he wait list for Duke? I'm wondering how large it is.

stressed123

Post by stressed123 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:21 pm

LordWiki wrote:
stressed123 wrote:Is Columbia really late this year? I saw that some emails were sent. If you did not receive one is it all over for you?
Are you asking for pure or applied? I applied for pure and I haven’t heard anything yet.

I'm talking about pure. Damn, it seems like there was one person on thegradcafe that got an email the 27th and one person here as well. But I have heard nothing.

MMDE

Post by MMDE » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:21 pm

LordWiki wrote:
I applied for applied and have yet to hear anything. Actually I've applied to 15 schools and have yet to hear anything from 13 of them.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:35 pm

ponchan wrote:
Again, follow your own rule: "All information about schools should have cited evidence."
Well today was certainly dry in regards to admissions (besides Cornell + Vermont). I realize now that it was just speculation but people who were speculating slowly convinced themselves that many schools will be rejecting. Didn't see the speculation part until now

young556646

Post by young556646 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:18 pm

ponchan wrote:Is anyone else on he wait list for Duke? I'm wondering how large it is.
I'm also on the waitlist but I believe it is small.

ponchan

Post by ponchan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:21 pm

young556646 wrote:
ponchan wrote:Is anyone else on he wait list for Duke? I'm wondering how large it is.
I'm also on the waitlist but I believe it is small.
Have you heard from anyone? Or are you basing this on the fact that only one or two on gradcafe said they were put on the wait list.