Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
MathCat

Re: Fall 2019 Sweat Thread

Post by MathCat » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:38 pm

optimisticnihilist wrote:
kkky wrote:Anyone has info on UCLA? Seems it has been silent for more than 3 weeks?
UCSD has been silent since Feb 1st as well. I really hope they have a second round coming soon
UCSD's open house is at the end of next week (March 7). I wouldn't expect any more offers to come out before then. There might be round 2 offers after though.

GTSIKALAS1997

Post by GTSIKALAS1997 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:43 am

What about UChicago?

KYDKON95

Post by KYDKON95 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:24 am

anyoene knows if UCSB or Oregon state will have a second round

Zenan

Post by Zenan » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:20 am

MathCat wrote:
optimisticnihilist wrote:
kkky wrote:Anyone has info on UCLA? Seems it has been silent for more than 3 weeks?
UCSD has been silent since Feb 1st as well. I really hope they have a second round coming soon
UCSD's open house is at the end of next week (March 7). I wouldn't expect any more offers to come out before then. There might be round 2 offers after though.
This is a reply email from UCSD when I asked them about my application status, so please be optimistic.

"Our first round of offers has gone out, but we are holding a few outstanding applications (like yours) that just missed that first round for review, and may send out a second, small, group of offers - you should have a definitive response (yes or no) by the 1st of March."

young556646

Post by young556646 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:28 pm

Zenan wrote:
This is a reply email from UCSD when I asked them about my application status, so please be optimistic.

"Our first round of offers has gone out, but we are holding a few outstanding applications (like yours) that just missed that first round for review, and may send out a second, small, group of offers - you should have a definitive response (yes or no) by the 1st of March."
So is it safe to believe that I am one of them if I heard nothing yet from UCSD?

optimisticnihilist

Post by optimisticnihilist » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:35 pm

young556646 wrote:
Zenan wrote:

So is it safe to believe that I am one of them if I heard nothing yet from UCSD?
I just got a reply from Scott Rollans at UCSD saying that I'm still on their waitlist, and that they hope to send a second round of acceptances this week. All decisions are expected to be made by 8th March.

ponchan

Post by ponchan » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:30 pm

Has Michigan (pure) sent out any rejections yet?

yoltin

Post by yoltin » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:25 pm

ponchan wrote:Has Michigan (pure) sent out any rejections yet?
I'm still waiting for my rejection

emerald123

Post by emerald123 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:43 pm

Has anyone else been sent the message from Pittsburgh (pure) about them almost being done with admissions/ asking for anything you want to add or “other offers” they should know about?? What does that even mean like do they want to hear about other places we have been accepted to?

blahquaker

Post by blahquaker » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:53 pm

emerald123 wrote:Has anyone else been sent the message from Pittsburgh (pure) about them almost being done with admissions/ asking for anything you want to add or “other offers” they should know about?? What does that even mean like do they want to hear about other places we have been accepted to?
I would guess that they want to know if you're likely to accept an offer from them. If you're still interested, let them know.

On the other hand, if you already have 3 good offers from other schools, they don't want to waste their time waiting for you to decline.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:16 am

We'll hear back by March 20th

daruma

Post by daruma » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:52 am

Does anyone know if the admission timelines are different for master's?
In particular,
Wisconsin Madison (Foundation of Advanced Studies)
Minnesota Twin Cities (MS)
Colorado Boulder (MS)
Michigan Ann Arbor (Master)

I have not heard anything from them and starting to wonder if they send out masters decisions after PhDs

ponchan

Post by ponchan » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:55 am

djysyed wrote:
Did you email them? How do you know?

young556646

Post by young556646 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:00 pm

Georgia Tech (pure math) just sent out an email which says "Your application decision will be available this evening." My application status changed to "Department decision made" but I can't see the decision yet. I'll just check it later this day as they said. Most likely a rejection though, they already sent out their first round acceptances in January.

prospectivestudent69

Post by prospectivestudent69 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:06 pm

I did not send my GRE subject score to johns hopkins applied math but I logged onto the portal today and says that they have verified both my general and subject test scores. Im afraid that I might be screwed now because my subject test was poor and I did not want them to factor it into my decision. Is there anything I can do?

Yello

Post by Yello » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:10 pm

young556646 wrote:Georgia Tech (pure math) just sent out an email which says "Your application decision will be available this evening." My application status changed to "Department decision made" but I can't see the decision yet. I'll just check it later this day as they said. Most likely a rejection though, they already sent out their first round acceptances in January.
Got the same email, I think. Yes, most likely they’re sending out rejections after the open house this weekend.

Although, looking at your post history, I wanna believe that this is an acceptance or waitlist. Your profile is very similar to mine (got into rutgers as well, and waitlist by duke). Did anyone else get the GA tech email?

mathidiot

Post by mathidiot » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:20 pm

Yello wrote:
young556646 wrote:Georgia Tech (pure math) just sent out an email which says "Your application decision will be available this evening." My application status changed to "Department decision made" but I can't see the decision yet. I'll just check it later this day as they said. Most likely a rejection though, they already sent out their first round acceptances in January.
Got the same email, I think. Yes, most likely they’re sending out rejections after the open house this weekend.

Although, looking at your post history, I wanna believe that this is an acceptance or waitlist. Your profile is very similar to mine (got into rutgers as well, and waitlist by duke). Did anyone else get the GA tech email?
Here also, but I'm not too optimistic for it.

jrayers97

Post by jrayers97 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:08 pm

Received an email from LSU saying that their first round of funding offers have been sent out already.

ethanmhny

Post by ethanmhny » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:25 pm

jrayers97 wrote:Received an email from LSU saying that their first round of funding offers have been sent out already.
Same here, accepted but waitlisted for assistantship

hopeful

Post by hopeful » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:56 pm

prospectivestudent69 wrote:I did not send my GRE subject score to johns hopkins applied math but I logged onto the portal today and says that they have verified both my general and subject test scores. Im afraid that I might be screwed now because my subject test was poor and I did not want them to factor it into my decision. Is there anything I can do?
If you didn't send it they don't have it. I received the same email today and I was already rejected. It's a glitch.

prospectivestudent69

Post by prospectivestudent69 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:29 pm

hopeful wrote:
prospectivestudent69 wrote:I did not send my GRE subject score to johns hopkins applied math but I logged onto the portal today and says that they have verified both my general and subject test scores. Im afraid that I might be screwed now because my subject test was poor and I did not want them to factor it into my decision. Is there anything I can do?
If you didn't send it they don't have it. I received the same email today and I was already rejected. It's a glitch.
You were rejected already by the applied math program? I didn't think they'd sent out any decisions yet.

superballzach

Post by superballzach » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:51 pm

Waitlisted at UVA. If you know you aren't going to accept their offer, please decline. Thanks!

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:07 pm

ponchan wrote:
djysyed wrote:
Did you email them? How do you know?
Yeah I emailed them a while back after their first round of acceptances.

Edit: Still waiting to hear back from Minnesota, Michigan (likely rejected), UCLA (definitely rejected), Stony Brook

blahquaker

Post by blahquaker » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:51 pm

Yello wrote:

I got it too. Not fun waiting 7 hours just to find out I'm rejected. Would have been better if they waited to send the email after the decisions were on the website.

KYDKON95

Post by KYDKON95 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:27 am

Does anyoene know if UCSB or Oregon State will have a second round?

daruma

Post by daruma » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:55 am

KYDKON95 wrote:Does anyoene know if UCSB or Oregon State will have a second round?
Also waiting to be officially rejected by Oregon State

lippyrogue

Post by lippyrogue » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:42 am

djysyed wrote: Edit: Still waiting to hear back from ... UCLA (definitely rejected)
Why?

kanep96

Post by kanep96 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:16 pm

Still waiting on various schools for a decision on my application into their Doctoral Applied Math (or related name, like with U Chicago's CCAM program) program. JHU, Chicago, Purdue, Case Western, Lehigh, and U Gerogia in particular. There are a few others, but these six are ones that I'm most concerned about.

Anyone heard anything from any of these schools - positive or negative? Its almost March and I'm starting to wonder whats up. I know about the April 15th "soft deadline" for sending acceptances/rejections, but not hearing anything all February from such a large amount of schools is a bit worrisome for me.

young556646

Post by young556646 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:29 pm

I just got Penn State offer email.

blahquaker

Post by blahquaker » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:30 pm

KYDKON95 wrote:Does anyoene know if UCSB or Oregon State will have a second round?
Oregon State's website says they might even make offers after April 15th.

kbm96

Post by kbm96 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:53 pm

blahquaker wrote:
emerald123 wrote:Has anyone else been sent the message from Pittsburgh (pure) about them almost being done with admissions/ asking for anything you want to add or “other offers” they should know about?? What does that even mean like do they want to hear about other places we have been accepted to?
I would guess that they want to know if you're likely to accept an offer from them. If you're still interested, let them know.

On the other hand, if you already have 3 good offers from other schools, they don't want to waste their time waiting for you to decline.
Oh god, if I didn’t get that message from Pitt does that mean I’m more likely to get rejected??? Sigh.

sacamano

Post by sacamano » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:01 pm

kbm96 wrote:
blahquaker wrote:

Oh god, if I didn’t get that message from Pitt does that mean I’m more likely to get rejected??? Sigh.
I got that email too but they also asked (me at least) if theres anything I wanted to add to my application. I suspect emerald123 and I are on the bubble.

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:36 pm

lippyrogue wrote:
djysyed wrote: Edit: Still waiting to hear back from ... UCLA (definitely rejected)
Why?
I got rejected from places ranked 15-25 so highly unlikely i'll get into UCLA

ribbit

Post by ribbit » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:47 pm

kanep96 wrote:Still waiting on various schools for a decision on my application into their Doctoral Applied Math (or related name, like with U Chicago's CCAM program) program. JHU, Chicago, Purdue, Case Western, Lehigh, and U Gerogia in particular. There are a few others, but these six are ones that I'm most concerned about.

Anyone heard anything from any of these schools - positive or negative? Its almost March and I'm starting to wonder whats up. I know about the April 15th "soft deadline" for sending acceptances/rejections, but not hearing anything all February from such a large amount of schools is a bit worrisome for me.
Purdue's visitation weekend is this weekend, so I imagine they've sent out their first round. You might hear back after this though.

oniongood

Post by oniongood » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:43 pm

kanep96 wrote:Still waiting on various schools for a decision on my application into their Doctoral Applied Math (or related name, like with U Chicago's CCAM program) program. JHU, Chicago, Purdue, Case Western, Lehigh, and U Gerogia in particular. There are a few others, but these six are ones that I'm most concerned about.

According to GradCafe, UChicago has finished sending offers, so guess that we are all rejected if we hear nothing. From a Ph.D. friend, Case Western has sent out their first-round offers and also formed a waitlist (this information is most likely accurate). I e-mailed the DGS of Case Western, and he told me that no OFFICIAL offers have been made and they are still evaluating applications, so I don't know.
I am also waiting for JHU, NYU, UMN, and Boston University; any information/update will be appreciated.

ponchan

Post by ponchan » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:00 pm

Anyone hear anything from Dartmouth?

ponchan

Post by ponchan » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:50 pm

Or from Boston University (pure)?

riffraff11235

Post by riffraff11235 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:17 pm

I'm waiting on BU and Dartmouth as well, both pure math. I wouldn't expect anything from Dartmouth anytime soon since their deadline was so late. Still not sure what was up with that; it was a month after the rest of my apps were due...

johanMo

Post by johanMo » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:45 pm

Anyone else here planning on going to the recruitment weekend for the CU Boulder mathematics department next weekend?

tzwxy

Post by tzwxy » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:29 am

Got rejected by Wisconsin-Madison yesterday :cry:

Did everyone that applied for Indiana U-Bloomington receive a message from the Department? I saw some posted acceptances in this forum and Gradcafe as well. :oops:

Good luck to everyone!

johanMo

Post by johanMo » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:08 pm

tzwxy wrote:Got rejected by Wisconsin-Madison yesterday :cry:

Did everyone that applied for Indiana U-Bloomington receive a message from the Department? I saw some posted acceptances in this forum and Gradcafe as well. :oops:

Good luck to everyone!

I also have not heard a word from IU Bloomington yet. They're one of the few responses I'm still waiting on along with Amherst and BU. If anyone has heard anything from these schools I'd be interested in hearing about it.

OwlMath

Post by OwlMath » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:35 pm

johanMo wrote:

Good luck to everyone!

I also have not heard a word from IU Bloomington yet. They're one of the few responses I'm still waiting on along with Amherst and BU. If anyone has heard anything from these schools I'd be interested in hearing about it.
I received an email asking if I was still interested in admission as I was high on their list. From what I can tell, this is the first round of offers, so not hearing anything certainly does not mean you have been rejected.

vhdvhd

Post by vhdvhd » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:19 pm

Does anyone know if Cornell will send a second round? I am still waiting to hear from them. As there are few offers after their first round in the past several years on Gradcafe, I am very anxious...

FourierTransformer

Post by FourierTransformer » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:12 pm

Did anyone else get an email from UW Madison about being on a "short" wait list?

RichardWayne

Post by RichardWayne » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:09 pm

oniongood wrote:According to GradCafe, UChicago has finished sending offers, so guess that we are all rejected if we hear nothing. From a Ph.D. friend, Case Western has sent out their first-round offers and also formed a waitlist (this information is most likely accurate). I e-mailed the DGS of Case Western, and he told me that no OFFICIAL offers have been made and they are still evaluating applications, so I don't know.
I am also waiting for JHU, NYU, UMN, and Boston University; any information/update will be appreciated.
Does UChicago has waitlist? I am still waiting for this school but heard nothing yet.

KYDKON95

Post by KYDKON95 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:29 pm

blahquaker wrote:
Oregon State's website says they might even make offers after April 15th.
Thanks m8

djysyed

Post by djysyed » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:57 pm

OwlMath wrote:
johanMo wrote:

Good luck to everyone!

I received an email asking if I was still interested in admission as I was high on their list. From what I can tell, this is the first round of offers, so not hearing anything certainly does not mean you have been rejected.
Same thing for me. I will likely turn it down because I really like the vibe at Purdue and they have people doing everything I want to do.

tzwxy

Post by tzwxy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:08 am

djysyed wrote:
OwlMath wrote:
johanMo wrote:

Same thing for me. I will likely turn it down because I really like the vibe at Purdue and they have people doing everything I want to do.
Did they mention when the offers would be sent? :?:

tzwxy

Post by tzwxy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:10 am

johanMo wrote:
I have received an email from UMass-Amherst. They put me on the waiting list, and I think they have sent out the first round of offers. :oops:

MMDE

Post by MMDE » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:24 am

tzwxy wrote:
johanMo wrote:
I have received an email from UMass-Amherst. They put me on the waiting list, and I think they have sent out the first round of offers. :oops:
For pure or applied?