Chances for Program Admission in Pure Math

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
3T113

Chances for Program Admission in Pure Math

Post by 3T113 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:15 pm

Hi guys, here is a preliminary list of schools I am thinking about: MIT, Harvard, Chicago, Columbia, Cal Tech, UCLA, Texas, Georgia Tech, Duke, Indiana, UC Davis. In some regards I feel like I am being way too anxious, but at the same time, I feel a lot of pressure due to my peers. In any case, I would be thankful for any advice and feedback.

Undergrad institution: One of MIT, Princeton, Harvard, or Stanford

Majors: Mathematics

GPA: 3.78 / 4.0 overall and 3.85 / 4.0 in department

Type of student: Domestic white male

Courses taken (+ Planned)

Math courses taken: Accelerated Honors Real Analysis I (A-), Accelerated Honors Real Analysis II- (A-), Topology (A-), Complex Analysis (A-), Differential Geometry (A), Modern Knot Theory (A)

Courses planned for next fall: Algebra, Measure Theory, Additional reading course in low dimensional topology

Recommenders: One giant in the field of low-dimensional topology with whom I took the knot theory course and will complete an undergraduate thesis, one younger faculty member with whom I am doing an REU this summer, one giant in string theory with whom I did undergraduate research last year

Research experience: Completed a semester long research project in Fall 2017 on random matrices and QFT with one recommender, received an A with submission of 20 page paper, though not for publication. Completing an REU this summer at my home institution on Lagrangian Floer homology and knot Floer Homology with the younger recommender. Will complete a year long undergraduate thesis with the remaining advisor, topic will be broadly in low-dimensional topology.

Work experience: Nothing relevant

Awards: None

GRE General: Taking in fall

GRE Math: Taking in fall

mediocremathmajor

Re: Chances for Program Admission in Pure Math

Post by mediocremathmajor » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:40 pm

I feel like you would get into at least a couple of the schools on your list. This is mostly because there are a lot of people with the solid experience and background that you have, but only so many spots. Some of it does come down to luck... and doing above average on the math GRE will be helpful :)

jhill42

Post by jhill42 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:31 pm

What does this mean?

gokulbhusal

Post by gokulbhusal » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:40 am

Hello guys. I am looking for phd in Applied math ( in dynamical system) for fall 2020. Can you please suggest me good university that math with my portfolio.

Institution: good research university but not good on ranking {U.S.A}
Majors: Mathematics
Minor:Computer science
GPA: 3.72 / 4.0 overall and 3.85 / 4.0 in department

Type of student: International student

Gre
Q: 165
V: 145
W:3.5

Subject gre: 650

Recommenders: Good recommendation

Research experience: Two summer REU. One paper submitted. Honors thesis under construction

Awards: Good awards and scholarship

selbergsieve69

Post by selbergsieve69 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:26 pm

jhill42 wrote:
What does this mean?
It means OP was trying to convey that he goes to a top school while remaining anonymous, so he is saying he goes to one of the schools in that list. However, it is clear OP goes to Princeton since that is the only school that has "Accelerated Honors Analysis" :P