Can I apply for MS+Ph.D. in Mathematics even though I didn't pursue my bachelors with Math as my major?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
saint1729

Can I apply for MS+Ph.D. in Mathematics even though I didn't pursue my bachelors with Math as my major?

Post by saint1729 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:10 pm

Hi Everyone,

My name is Sai Nikhil. I graduated in 2013 from one of the reputed institutions in India (IIT Kharagpur). However, my major is Civil Engineering. I have immense interest in field of Mathematics. I am confident enough that I am good at Calculus, Trigonometry and can stand > 80 percentile in this area. I have a basic knowledge of Linear Algebra and other Ad Hoc topics. I am giving GRE - Subject Mathematics Test this year. Can somebody please guide me about how to apply for a PhD program in Math? (I am ready to pursue pre-requisite courses after an admission, if required.) And which universities should I choose? Also, please excuse me if this question is repetitive in this forum. I did put some effort to find information about this. Unfortunately, couldn't find a similar post. If there is one already present, please direct me to that right post.

Thanks,
Sai Nikhil ( http://saint1729.me )

young556646

Re: Can I apply for MS+Ph.D. in Mathematics even though I didn't pursue my bachelors with Math as my major?

Post by young556646 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:15 pm

It is possible to apply, but to be a good applicant and have any chance to get in, given that you did not take any "proof-oriented" courses in math, such as introductory analysis, complex analysis, algebra and topology, you should prove that you can survive in the program, for example by showing high subject GRE score, taking some of these courses and get an A(which seems not really realistic since you already graduated) or showing an experience in mathematical research (or in other very closely related field). Your GPA and letters of recommendation also matters- it is not likely to get into a good program without any letter from a math professor.
Maybe you should apply for masters, which is easier to get in - but often masters do not get any financial support.

saint1729

Re: Can I apply for MS+Ph.D. in Mathematics even though I didn't pursue my bachelors with Math as my major?

Post by saint1729 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:57 am

@young556646: Thank you so much for your answer. Is it possible to apply for M.S. + Ph.D. together at the same time? Will I get funding this way? Also, how much does masters cost in US (On average. Please specify the range)?