Assessment of the following university lineup.

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Taxxi

Assessment of the following university lineup.

Post by Taxxi » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:44 pm

Hello, I know that the competition is fierce for the top math schools. I want your honest opinion about the following mid lineup in my case:
  1. University of Minnesota Twin Cities
  2. University of Washington
  3. Indiana University
  4. UCDavis
  5. Texas AM
  6. UCI
  7. University of Virginia
All the universities above are applied with focus on probability. Below are my brief resume:
  • Undergrad Institution: Top 3 in my country.
  • Major(s): Mathematics, Economics.
  • GPA: 3.79/4.0
  • Type of Student: International (Asian)
  • Awards/Honors: Graduated with High Honors. Bunch of honors and scholarships (within the university).
  • Math/Statistics Grades: Mostly got As. Took many statistics classes(mathematical statistics, Bayesian statistics). Also took stochastic process class but received B+. Not bad in analysis but very strong in algebra including mathematical logics and algebraic combinatorics.
  • GRE General Test: 166V, 169Q, 4.5W.
  • GRE Subject Math Test: 860(87%)
  • Programs Applying: Probability or Statistics.
  • Research Experience: None...
  • Working Experience: Quantitative researcher in a fintech startup company (1 year). My researching area was asset allocation with weight constraints, and I actually implemented the program using quadratic programming in Python. Working experience in Python and ML. Working experience also includes the process of choosing preferable stocks by means of basic regression and time-series analysis. I have done so much since it was a small startup, working with a statistician in finance(Master) and a mathematician(PhD, probability and PDE).
  • Hobbies: Analyzing old classics games, finding the optimal strategy using probability theory and sometimes Python. Fun stuff. This is what got me the job.
  • Letters of Recommendation: I doubt they will be particularly strong but I doubt they will be detrimentally bad either. 1 from my set theory and mathematical logics professor, 1 from my linear algebra and abstract algebra professor, and 1 from my probability professor.
I'd love to hear your honest opinions.