Accepted, no mention of funding, what to expect?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
xApprchsNfnty

Accepted, no mention of funding, what to expect?

Post by xApprchsNfnty » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:55 pm

Hey everybody,

I was just accepted to a PhD program but no mention of funding. I called them and they said I should know by the end of January. If I was accepted within a week after I submitted my app in full, should I expect to hear about funding soon too? I'm not quite sure how the system works to determine funding. I'd like to avoid having to apply to other schools but can't attend without funding.

Thanks.

mishania1996

Re: Accepted, no mention of funding, what to expect?

Post by mishania1996 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:01 pm

It sounds like they just want to know which students are willing to accept the offer without the funding.

AugmentedSeventh

Post by AugmentedSeventh » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:45 pm

Depends on the school, but most math graduate programs will fully fund their PhD students as long as they remain in good academic standing. Usually when a student doesn't receive funding, they will instead be accepted into the corresponding Masters program. I would apply to a few safety schools as a precaution though.

xApprchsNfnty

Post by xApprchsNfnty » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:43 pm

I do ultimately expect to be funded as a TA, a strong part of my application was my experience as a teacher, but I'm curious when I might expect to hear an offer. It's a bit anxiety inducing.

Am I correct that they accept/offer in batches? 1st round and then based on results, 2nd round, and so on?