Masters at University of Bonn

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
whoah

Masters at University of Bonn

Post by whoah » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:39 am

Hello all,
I am currently searching for schools to apply to next year. I am very interested in the masters program at the University of Bonn, but I am unsure of how competitive admission to the program is. Does anyone have any idea what they expect from applicants\ what the acceptance rate to their MS is? I would also love to talk to anyone who is either in the program or knows someone in it in order to find out about the standards of the program. I am an undergraduate at an unknown US institution, so I understand that the style of the program at Bonn will likely be very different from what I am used to. If it is of any use, I am interested in studying their track in probability (area F). Feel free to mention anything about the program that you know (PhD/ job placements, personal anecdotes, studying in Germany in general, etc.) as I would like to know as much as possible about it before I apply.

mishania1996

Re: Masters at University of Bonn

Post by mishania1996 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:57 am

Admission for Masters shouldn't be too competitive but the studying will require a full time investment(there is no teaching duties though). You get better information by checking the websites of past classes, since my use of easy/difficult terms are relative and subjective of course. I'm far from Probability, rather Topology/Geometry/Algebra area. If your background is not solid you might struggle(based on what I see around here) but it's not a problem if you find enough motivation to carry on.

I don't know what is the exact acceptance rate to Ms though. But phD could be considered as quite competitive.

Meliodas

Post by Meliodas » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:20 am

mishania1996 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:57 am
Admission for Masters shouldn't be too competitive but the studying will require a full time investment(there is no teaching duties though). You get better information by checking the websites of past classes, since my use of easy/difficult terms are relative and subjective of course. I'm far from Probability, rather Topology/Geometry/Algebra area. If your background is not solid you might struggle(based on what I see around here) but it's not a problem if you find enough motivation to carry on.

I don't know what is the exact acceptance rate to Ms though. But phD could be considered as quite competitive.
Hello, how do you know that the admission is not too competitive?

mishania1996

Post by mishania1996 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:09 am

A class of Master's students in Bonn is much larger compared to US phD classes. No funding(on the other hand, no tuition fee) there and in general people tend to apply in North America then in Europe sometimes even disregarding the quality if the difference is not huge.