Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
mani_fold

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by mani_fold » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:25 pm

AugmentedSeventh wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:58 pm
CoronalRain wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:40 pm
AugmentedSeventh wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:19 pm
I haven't seen any posts of Duke acceptances yet, so its possible that they have only sent out rejections so far.
Looks like Duke acceptances went out today. Someone got in with a 42% mGRE, so I'm pretty salty right now.
There are a lot of other important components to an application other than the mGRE. I'm sure everyone who got into Duke is uniquely qualified in their own way. Unfortunately, unless you have an absolutely stellar application, admission into any top ranked program has somewhat of a "luck" component, since there are many more qualified applicants than positions available. Try not to let it bother you too much :D
I agree— it’s a little frustrating to me (and probably all of us) but “luck” has as much to do with this process as does qualifications. But that’s why we apply to a bunch of programs!

And at the end of the day, as my advisor has told me repeatedly, “rejection is part of the job.”

Lisztrachmaninovfan

Post by Lisztrachmaninovfan » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:40 pm

Junaid456 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:37 pm
Has anyone heard back from Maryland (AMSC), UC Davis (GGAM), U of Arizona (GIDP), Cornell. all applied math? And what about Georgia Tech and UCSD?
I heard back from UC Davis's Applied Math program two days ago via email.

It appears that they got back to their admitted pure and applied applicants around the same time.

Junaid456

Post by Junaid456 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:46 pm

Lisztrachmaninovfan wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:40 pm
Junaid456 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:37 pm
Has anyone heard back from Maryland (AMSC), UC Davis (GGAM), U of Arizona (GIDP), Cornell. all applied math? And what about Georgia Tech and UCSD?
I heard back from UC Davis's Applied Math program two days ago via email.

It appears that they got back to their admitted pure and applied applicants around the same time.
Ahh. There's nothing else on grad cafe, though. I guess you're the one who posted there. Let's see if things work out for me. I really like their Applied Math program.

ellen_klly2020

Post by ellen_klly2020 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:24 am

Do we know when Princeton will start sending out decisions/how they work? I know last year they sent out a wave at the end of January and then again mid-February. If we don’t hear back tomorrow does it mean we were probably rejected?

Integreat

Post by Integreat » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:37 am

ellen_klly2020 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:24 am
Do we know when Princeton will start sending out decisions/how they work? I know last year they sent out a wave at the end of January and then again mid-February. If we don’t hear back tomorrow does it mean we were probably rejected?
Pretty sure everyone who was accepted has heard back already (at least, unofficially). I'd expect rejections to come out sometime tomorrow. I think the mid-February decisions you're referring to were for applied math.

mani_fold

Post by mani_fold » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:38 am

Integreat wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:37 am
Pretty sure everyone who was accepted has heard back already (at least, unofficially). I'd expect rejections to come out sometime tomorrow. I think the mid-February decisions you're referring to were for applied math.
Why tomorrow?

Integreat

Post by Integreat » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:40 am

mani_fold wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:38 am
Integreat wrote:
Why tomorrow?
Historically it's been the last Friday of January

ellen_klly2020

Post by ellen_klly2020 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:52 am

Integreat wrote:
ellen_klly2020 wrote:
Got it. How would one hear back unofficially? Thanks for the info!

Integreat

Post by Integreat » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:03 am

ellen_klly2020 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:52 am
Integreat wrote:
ellen_klly2020 wrote:
Unsure, I didn't get in. If I had to guess, by email saying you're in good standing, or something of the sort.

wujinya1

Post by wujinya1 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:06 pm

Very quiet morning...any news anyone?

Orpheus11235

Post by Orpheus11235 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:37 pm

wujinya1 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:06 pm
Someone said on GradCafe they got an interview with UMichigan... Haven't heard anything from them so that makes me nervous...

Integreat

Post by Integreat » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:00 pm

Integreat wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:40 am
Historically it's been the last Friday of January
Yee get predicted, getting them rejections 8)

AugmentedSeventh

Post by AugmentedSeventh » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:04 pm

Orpheus11235 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:37 pm
wujinya1 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:06 pm
Someone said on GradCafe they got an interview with UMichigan... Haven't heard anything from them so that makes me nervous...
I'm wondering if they only interview international applicants? If not, then I guess I should expect to be rejected from Michigan too :lol:

yaskhn3

Post by yaskhn3 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:31 pm

Princeton started sending out rejections finally :lol:

wujinya1

Post by wujinya1 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:32 pm

Any news from John Hopkins?
I see one acceptance on gradcafe.

SKS2s17fa

Post by SKS2s17fa » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:06 pm

wujinya1 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:32 pm
No news at all.

fastsnail

Post by fastsnail » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:24 pm

wujinya1 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:32 pm
Hopkins professor said the candidate list had been decided. I'm not sure if they sent out all the emails though.

Junaid456

Post by Junaid456 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:13 pm

Got to know I got into UC Davis Applied Math. They've invited me to a Skype visit. Is this an interview? How do these meetings work in principle? :/ I may not be able to talk to any grad student, so what kind of questions can one ask a professor who may be slotted to talk to me?

mani_fold

Post by mani_fold » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:24 pm

Junaid456 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:13 pm
Got to know I got into UC Davis Applied Math. They've invited me to a Skype visit. Is this an interview? How do these meetings work in principle? :/ I may not be able to talk to any grad student, so what kind of questions can one ask a professor who may be slotted to talk to me?
I was in a similar situation a couple weeks ago with a program. The DGS emailed me to schedule a phone call, but he emphasized that it wasn't an interview and more of an opportunity for me to ask questions about the program. I looked up some of the profs and asked about the department's research interests; it was casual. If I were you, I would ask very clearly via email if it is a formal interview so that expectations are communicated. If it is a serious interview, they'll definitely want you to know.

Dopeboyz

Post by Dopeboyz » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:16 pm

Eigenvaluable wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:11 pm
Undergrad Institution: SLAC
Major(s): Mathematics, Computer Science
Minor(s):
GPA: 3.88/4
Type of Student: DWF

GRE Revised General Test:
Q: 168 (93%)
V: 166 (97%)
W: 5.0 (92%)
GRE Subject Test in Mathematics:
M: 620 (42%)

Program Applying: Pure Math PhD

Research Experience: REU in numerical linear algebra (paper in progress, gave a talk at YMC, poster at JMM), cryptography research project, summer CS researc at home institution, statistical modeling research project (online paper)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean’s list every semester.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: YMC 2019, JMM 2020, Mentor/TA for proof-based linear algebra (2 semesters), grader for functional problem solving (2 semesters).
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Female. Graduated a semester early to study topics not offered at my institution. Two letters of rec from professors I have done research with.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Nope.

Applying to Where: (Color use here is welcome)

Reach
Cornell
University of Texas Austin
UW Madison
UC San Diego
Ohio State

Match
UC Davis Waitlisted 1/31
WashU Admitted via email on 1/29 with 26.8K funding for 5 years
Notre Dame
USC
University of Arizona Admitted via email on 1/28
CU Boulder Admitted via email on 1/30 with 22.7K funding
University of Hawai'i at Manoa

Hey how did you find out about the uc davis waitlist?

laplacian

Post by laplacian » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:31 am

What do you think about the Michigan posts on gradcafe? Michigan is my top choice, I'll be pretty bummed if I don't get in.

asterac

Post by asterac » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:47 am

laplacian wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:31 am
What do you think about the Michigan posts on gradcafe? Michigan is my top choice, I'll be pretty bummed if I don't get in.
From last year's posts, it looks like they'll keep releasing a stream of decisions for the next few weeks. That matches what their website says about making decisions as they review. I'm just bummed I talked myself out of applying, cause it was my dream school too. I almost certainly still wouldn't have gotten in, since their DGS takes both general and subject GRE pretty seriously, plus I'm quite happy with my results so far. Just kicking myself for being such an Eeyore and shooting a little lower overall than my advisor recommended.

Best of luck to you and everyone else waiting to hear from them!
ellen_klly2020 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:52 am
Unofficial acceptances look like an email saying that they've recommended you to the graduate school for admission (either the department adcom has or your POI has). They're as good as an acceptance in almost all cases; it's just that you probably won't get notified of the official offer til later. The official offer would include details of your funding.

finalreached

Post by finalreached » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:07 am

I have received interview request from U Michigan two days ago. Could someone interviewed before please tell me what type of questions they asked??? Did they ask anything about math foundation such as how to prove a designated theorem, or just talk about your intended field?
What's more, from gradcafe, it seems like unofficial acceptance would be given at the end of the meeting. Is that true for all interviewees? :?

dao98

Post by dao98 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:16 am

finalreached wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:07 am
I have received interview request from U Michigan two days ago. Could someone interviewed before please tell me what type of questions they asked??? Did they ask anything about math foundation such as how to prove a designated theorem, or just talk about your intended field?
What's more, from gradcafe, it seems like unofficial acceptance would be given at the end of the meeting. Is that true for all interviewees? :?
I did my interview with U Michigan yesterday, and it was an acceptance. The interview was really short, I was asked to describe my research interest and whether I have any questions for them.

finalreached

Post by finalreached » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:18 pm

dao98 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:16 am
finalreached wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:07 am
I did my interview with U Michigan yesterday, and it was an acceptance. The interview was really short, I was asked to describe my research interest and whether I have any questions for them.
Thanks a lot!!! It really assisted me to prepare for my interview. Congratulations by the way!

nicole2

Post by nicole2 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:34 am

stillanoob wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:33 pm
Undergrad Institution: Large Public
Major(s): Mathematics, Chemistry
Minor(s): Computer Science
GPA: 3.74/4.00 (4.00/4.00 Math)
Type of Student: Domestic Asian Male

Q/V/W: 170/169/4.5, 170/166/5.5, 169/166/5.5

M: 870, 930 for October

Program Applying: Pure Math - Graph Theory, Algebraic Combinatorics, Algebraic Geometry.

Research Experience: 4 REUs with 5 papers total, none of them are original. Helped 2 different professor publish 3 papers (my name on those publications) on graph theory and combinatorics, also senior paper on algebraic combinatorics. 1 paper submitted on algebraic geometry.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Putnam honorable mention once and three times non-trivial scores. USAMO (pretty sure was close to the cut off for summer camp, my score is I think 5 points lower than someone from AoPS that got in), dean's list, couple national scholarships.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Nothing special to note other than REUs. Almost interned at a bank but glad I didn't that might make my app look bad who knows.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Currently taking a gap year and doing research on abelian varieties.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: 4 really strong letters, hopefully. One of them is a fields medalist. I counted 10 graduate courses, straight As across math courses.

Top Choices
Harvard, accepted.
MIT, accepted.
Princeton, rejected via phone.

Reach
UC Berkeley, accepted.
UCLA, accepted.

Match
Cornell
Georgia Tech, accepted. Declined.
Toronto, interviewed.
UMichigan, unofficial acceptance.
Waterloo, interviewed and accepted, waiting on funding. Declined.

Safety
Alberta, accepted, given about 20 days to accept offer. Declined.
McGill, invited to visit, emailed by potential advisor.
UC Davis, accepted, no funding information. Declined.

This forum has helped me a lot on deciding where to apply to so it is only fair if I contribute. My match schools feels like reach schools and my safety schools feels like match schools. What the heck, time to empty my wallet. Changed my list a bit due to (sudden) interest in a.g. :mrgreen: EDIT: Withdrawn applications without decisions are omitted.
Geo N Roses wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:33 am
Undergrad Institution:[Greece's largest public university]
Major(s): Mathematics
Minor(s): None
GPA:4.00/4.00 (10.00 out of 10.00 in my uni)
Type of Student: International (Greek), Male

Q: 170 (96%)
V: 158 (80%)
W: 3.5 ( :( ) (39%)
M:900 (94%)

TOEFL Score: (107 = R28/L30/S23/W26)

Program Applying: Pure Math (Mainly interested in Ergodic Theory, Analysis, Topology and Geometry.)

Research Experience: I have published two papers regarding universality properties (Complex analysis). The first one was a standard undergraduate student-professor paper (published it a with a professor I met in a graduate course). The second one was solo-authored and advanced-generalized the results of the first one.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Have been participating in competitions since my first year in uni, achieving a fair amount of medals, the most important of them being 2 gold imc medals.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Have made a seminar talk concerning my papers, and some other lectures for the grad course of complex analysis.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: I have taken 4 grad courses so far, three of them are regarded as advanced ones (7 grad courses counting the ones I aim to take this semester). One of them that was immensely interesting was ergodic theory. The professor knows me well so I expect a really good recommendation letter. Another recommender is the professor I co-published my first paper with. Therefore we have worked together and I believe I will get a very strong letter from him as well. My last recommender is a professor I had in many undergraduate courses. ( He also knows me well.)
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I am graduating at 3.5 years instead of 4, but I dont think that this makes a difference.

Applying to Where:
Princeton Accepted via e-mail on 1/16
UChicago Accepted via e-mail on 1/10
Harvard Accepted via e-mail on 1/24
Stanford
NYU
UCLA
Caltech
Berkeley Accepted via e-mail on 1/31
Michigan Invited to Skype Interview. Withdrew my application.
Columbia
Yale
Both of them got into some top schools. Have anyone gotten a acceptance/rejection from Harvard, ucla or Berkeley yet? I really want to go to UCLA ... and what make them stand out? My GPA is almost 4.0 and my general GRE is good, but I haven't gotten a single acceptance yet.

It's worrying me so much. A bunch of sexist boys in my department is making bets on me not getting into any schools and I really want to prove them wrong. Otherwise it will be a huge embarrassment ... The world is not fair :cry:

gearons

Post by gearons » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:14 am

nicole2 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:34 am
Both of them got into some top schools. Have anyone gotten a acceptance/rejection from Harvard, ucla or Berkeley yet? I really want to go to UCLA ... and what make them stand out? My GPA is almost 4.0 and my general GRE is good, but I haven't gotten a single acceptance yet.

It's worrying me so much. A bunch of sexist boys in my department is making bets on me not getting into any schools and I really want to prove them wrong. Otherwise it will be a huge embarrassment ... The world is not fair :cry:
I think they both have good research experience. You can find the first guy's papers on Arxiv. Also, both of them have international medals, which is a very good indicator for mathematical ability imo (pun intended).

I hope you'll get in the place you want. I hope it won't because of your gender but your own ability.

ponchan

Post by ponchan » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:56 am

nicole2 wrote:
stillanoob wrote:

Program Applying: Pure Math - Graph Theory, Algebraic Combinatorics, Algebraic Geometry.

Research Experience: 4 REUs with 5 papers total, none of them are original. Helped 2 different professor publish 3 papers (my name on those publications) on graph theory and combinatorics, also senior paper on algebraic combinatorics. 1 paper submitted on algebraic geometry.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Putnam honorable mention once and three times non-trivial scores. USAMO (pretty sure was close to the cut off for summer camp, my score is I think 5 points lower than someone from AoPS that got in), dean's list, couple national scholarships.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Nothing special to note other than REUs. Almost interned at a bank but glad I didn't that might make my app look bad who knows.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: Currently taking a gap year and doing research on abelian varieties.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: 4 really strong letters, hopefully. One of them is a fields medalist. I counted 10 graduate courses, straight As across math courses.

Top Choices
Harvard, accepted.
MIT, accepted.

Reach
UC Berkeley, accepted.
UCLA, accepted.

Match
Cornell
Toronto, interviewed.

Safety

This forum has helped me a lot on deciding where to apply to so it is only fair if I contribute. My match schools feels like reach schools and my safety schools feels like match schools. What the heck, time to empty my wallet. Changed my list a bit due to (sudden) interest in a.g. :mrgreen: EDIT: Withdrawn applications without decisions are omitted.
Geo N Roses wrote:

Program Applying: Pure Math (Mainly interested in Ergodic Theory, Analysis, Topology and Geometry.)

Research Experience: I have published two papers regarding universality properties (Complex analysis). The first one was a standard undergraduate student-professor paper (published it a with a professor I met in a graduate course). The second one was solo-authored and advanced-generalized the results of the first one.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Have been participating in competitions since my first year in uni, achieving a fair amount of medals, the most important of them being 2 gold imc medals.
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Have made a seminar talk concerning my papers, and some other lectures for the grad course of complex analysis.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: I have taken 4 grad courses so far, three of them are regarded as advanced ones (7 grad courses counting the ones I aim to take this semester). One of them that was immensely interesting was ergodic theory. The professor knows me well so I expect a really good recommendation letter. Another recommender is the professor I co-published my first paper with. Therefore we have worked together and I believe I will get a very strong letter from him as well. My last recommender is a professor I had in many undergraduate courses. ( He also knows me well.)
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I am graduating at 3.5 years instead of 4, but I dont think that this makes a difference.

Applying to Where:
Stanford
NYU
UCLA
Caltech
Columbia
Yale

I’d say the most important factors in their profiles are the gold medals in international math competitions, a Putnam honorable mention, the several publications (particularly the single authored publication, as that indicates one is capable of doing research without an advisor’s hand holding), a letter of recommendation from a FIELDS MEDALIST. Secondly, there’s the 90+ mGRE scores, several grad courses and having a 4.0 in those math courses, although a GPA doesn’t really indicate that much. If someone has a 4.0 at a not so well known Uni and has only taken, say, the intro undergrad courses in analysis and algebra, that is not that same as having a 4.0 at a well known Uni having had several grad courses.

AugmentedSeventh

Post by AugmentedSeventh » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:21 am

nicole2 wrote:
stillanoob wrote:

Top Choices
Harvard, accepted.
MIT, accepted.

Reach
UC Berkeley, accepted.
UCLA, accepted.

Match
Cornell
Toronto, interviewed.

Safety

Geo N Roses wrote:

Applying to Where:
Stanford
NYU
UCLA
Caltech
Columbia
Yale

A high GPA doesn't mean much to top schools unless you went to a well-ranked undergraduate university. Also, as far as I know, most top schools care very little about the general GRE. I'm not trying to discourage you, but if your expectations are too high then you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Harvard, UCLA, and Berkeley have all sent out acceptances, so if you have not heard from them it is safe to assume you have been rejected (or possibly waitlisted). However, I think you have a decent chance of getting into one of your safety schools because of your GPA and general GRE. Just try to be patient :D

juris

Post by juris » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:35 pm

I'm wondering for those of you who applied to Berkeley, what content is shown below the application status? Is that Grad 20 or if you need to contact us..? II haven't checked the website for a while but it seems quite different from what I remembered. Sorry for the paranoid.

nicole2

Post by nicole2 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:23 pm

juris wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:35 pm
I'm wondering for those of you who applied to Berkeley, what content is shown below the application status? Is that Grad 20 or if you need to contact us..? II haven't checked the website for a while but it seems quite different from what I remembered. Sorry for the paranoid.
Last time I checked I'm fairly certain it said "materials needed" now says "grad 20." What is this? LOL

nicole2

Post by nicole2 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:29 pm

AugmentedSeventh wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:21 am
A high GPA doesn't mean much to top schools unless you went to a well-ranked undergraduate university. Also, as far as I know, most top schools care very little about the general GRE. I'm not trying to discourage you, but if your expectations are too high then you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Harvard, UCLA, and Berkeley have all sent out acceptances, so if you have not heard from them it is safe to assume you have been rejected (or possibly waitlisted). However, I think you have a decent chance of getting into one of your safety schools because of your GPA and general GRE. Just try to be patient :D
Yeah my worst fears, a lot of other schools too
Thanks, I wish for a happy ending. :D

Integreat

Post by Integreat » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:32 pm

nicole2 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:29 pm
Thanks, I wish for a happy ending. :D
There are grad students at my uni (which isn't bad by any means) that literally got <10th percentile. You'll be fine :)

wujinya1

Post by wujinya1 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:01 pm

Anyone knows when does Stony Brook usually gives out offers?

yaskhn3

Post by yaskhn3 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:14 pm

I see some rejections of Yale on Gradcafe. Has anyone gotten in? When to expect rejections from them? :lol:

AugmentedSeventh

Post by AugmentedSeventh » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:03 pm

wujinya1 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:01 pm
Anyone knows when does Stony Brook usually gives out offers?
Throughout February and March.

wujinya1

Post by wujinya1 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:20 pm

Tomorrow is going to be the beginning of the end!
Everyone ready?

PhilippMainlander

Post by PhilippMainlander » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:22 pm

wujinya1 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:20 pm
Everyone ready?
no

wujinya1

Post by wujinya1 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:38 pm

PhilippMainlander wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:22 pm
wujinya1 wrote:
Everyone ready?
no
PhilippMainlander wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:18 pm
CoronalRain wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:28 pm
mani_fold wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:21 pm
Is it just me or does it seem like decisions are somewhat delayed? I would have expected more results by now, especially from state schools.
I fully expect these next two weeks to be chaotic, though. Tons of schools usually send out acceptances in the early weeks of February.
I'M READY. I'M READY. I'M READY. I'M READY.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Do you have any offers?

PhilippMainlander

Post by PhilippMainlander » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:41 pm

wujinya1 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:38 pm
PhilippMainlander wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:22 pm
wujinya1 wrote:
Everyone ready?
no
PhilippMainlander wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:18 pm
CoronalRain wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:28 pm

I fully expect these next two weeks to be chaotic, though. Tons of schools usually send out acceptances in the early weeks of February.
I'M READY. I'M READY. I'M READY. I'M READY.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Do you have any offers?
No, but no one has been accepted to any of the schools I have applied to.

mishania1996

Post by mishania1996 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:58 pm

Integreat wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:32 pm
There are grad students at my uni (which isn't bad by any means) that literally got <10th percentile. You'll be fine :)
What is the name of your uni ? At least what is its position in the US ranking (math+grad) ?

juris

Post by juris » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:00 pm

nicole2 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:23 pm
juris wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:35 pm
Last time I checked I'm fairly certain it said "materials needed" now says "grad 20." What is this? LOL
Maybe it means nothing. :?

PhilippMainlander

Post by PhilippMainlander » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:01 pm

mishania1996 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:58 pm
Integreat wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:32 pm
What is the name of your uni ? At least what is its position in the US ranking (math+grad) ?
On his post history, he says T15.

mishania1996

Post by mishania1996 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:04 pm

PhilippMainlander wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:01 pm

I refuse to believe that

PhilippMainlander

Post by PhilippMainlander » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:05 pm

mishania1996 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:04 pm
PhilippMainlander wrote:

I refuse to believe that
People hare overestimate the importance of the Math subject GRE here because it is the only thing you can point to when you fail to gain admission.

wujinya1

Post by wujinya1 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:09 pm

mishania1996 wrote:
PhilippMainlander wrote:

I refuse to believe that
Dude, I took a look at your application in 2018, that is one of the strongest application I have ever seen. How did you get rejected by these schools? I really don't understand...

mishania1996

Post by mishania1996 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:11 pm

PhilippMainlander wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:05 pm
People hare overestimate the importance of the Math subject GRE here because it is the only thing you can point to when you fail to gain admission.
No, you can also point to gpa, recommendation letters, research experience, undergraduate school ranking and even sop. Anyway, overestimating math gre is one thing, and getting <10% is a totally different thing.

Integreat

Post by Integreat » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:17 pm

PhilippMainlander wrote:
mishania1996 wrote:
PhilippMainlander wrote:
I refuse to believe that
People here overestimate the importance of the Math subject GRE here because it is the only thing you can point to when you fail to gain admission.
Essentially this. The individual I mentioned is by far one of the best students in our department.
A big part of the application process is behind the scenes. Who you know, and who knows you, matters a lot. It's no coincidence that many of the places I've unofficially heard back from I've been in contact with over the years.

CoronalRain

Post by CoronalRain » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:27 pm

Integreat wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:17 pm
PhilippMainlander wrote:
mishania1996 wrote:

I refuse to believe that
People here overestimate the importance of the Math subject GRE here because it is the only thing you can point to when you fail to gain admission.
Essentially this. The individual I mentioned is by far one of the best students in our department.
A big part of the application process is behind the scenes. Who you know, and who knows you, matters a lot. It's no coincidence that many of the places I've unofficially heard back from I've been in contact with over the years.
There are always exceptions to the rule, but for us plebs at lesser known schools who don't have much meaningful contact with faculty members at our dream schools, getting <800 on mGRE means top 20 is most likely a pipe dream. That's a reality we're all going to have to face sooner or later. I doubt most of the schools in the top 20 would even look at an application from an unknown student if they scored <10th percentile on the mGRE.

mani_fold

Post by mani_fold » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:43 pm

CoronalRain wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:27 pm
There are always exceptions to the rule, but for us plebs at lesser known schools who don't have much meaningful contact with faculty members at our dream schools, getting <800 on mGRE means top 20 is most likely a pipe dream. That's a reality we're all going to have to face sooner or later. I doubt most of the schools in the top 20 would even look at an application from an unknown student if they scored <10th percentile on the mGRE.
I think you're being hard on yourself (and others). I agree to some extent, but let's lighten up a bit? We're all going through the ringer right now and this kind of attitude (while maybe realistic?) isn't helping lighten the load.

Let's all take a chill pill and enjoy the "pipe dream" for a few more days.

D e e p

b r e a t h s