Mid-February Cutoff for pure math PhD

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
ahhhhmeh

Mid-February Cutoff for pure math PhD

Post by ahhhhmeh » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:51 pm

I have this impression that if you’re applying to a PhD in pure math and you haven’t heard back by mid-February then you should assume you’re rejected. I say this because I notice most of the acceptances are dated between January and middle of February. But more important, everyone I know who got into programs at UPenn and a couple of other places heard back from them in January. From what I know if UPenn invite you to their “open day/orientation” which is early February that means you’re basically in.

Oh well 😔 maybe I’ll have better luck next year.
Last edited by ahhhhmeh on Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dujiahan

Re: Mid-February Cutoff for pure math PhD

Post by dujiahan » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:13 pm

ahhhhmeh wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:51 pm
I have this impression that if you’re applying to a PhD in pure math and you haven’t heard back by mid-February then you should assume you’re rejected. I say this because I notice most of the acceptances are dated between January and middle of February. But more important, everyone I know who got into programs at UPenn and a couple of other places heard back from them in January. From what I know if UPenn/Columbia invite you to their “open day/orientation” which is early February that means you’re basically in.

Oh well 😔 maybe I’ll have better luck next year.
I think a small minority got there acceptances after mid-February because they got admitted off waitlist, but most people got their acceptances before mid-February.

temporaryacct

Post by temporaryacct » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:17 pm

That's definitely not true in general. The director at Minnesota said that they won't make any decisions until the end of February or early March. Plus, even if schools don't send you anything in the first wave you can still get in later. The process works in rounds and many people still get acceptances close to the deadline in April.

nakayama

Post by nakayama » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:53 pm

Has Columbia finished sending out offers? I haven't heard of any acceptances from them so far.

ahhhhmeh

Post by ahhhhmeh » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:24 pm

nakayama wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:53 pm
Has Columbia finished sending out offers? I haven't heard of any acceptances from them so far.
I shouldn’t have put Columbia there because the person I know got into a different PhD program.

davis7e

Post by davis7e » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:46 pm

There are quite a few places that won't send out any offers until March. One of my friends received three offers this past year but didn't receive the first of these until April 11. Just be patient.

PhilippMainlander

Post by PhilippMainlander » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:25 pm

davis7e wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:46 pm
There are quite a few places that won't send out any offers until March. One of my friends received three offers this past year but didn't receive the first of these until April 11. Just be patient.
Waiting really sucks :(.

Cyclicduck

Post by Cyclicduck » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:14 am

PhilippMainlander wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:25 pm
davis7e wrote:

Do you know what else really sucks?

nicole2

Post by nicole2 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:01 am

Cyclicduck wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:14 am
PhilippMainlander wrote:
davis7e wrote:

Others betting on my failure, that I will not get in anywhere. And for now, it seems the devil wins and I've yet to receive a single acceptance. Meanwhile, most on this forum already received at least 1 offer. I have to say, I feel a little envious/jealous. :cry:

I cry

SKS2s17fa

Post by SKS2s17fa » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:38 am

nicole2 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:01 am
Cyclicduck wrote:
PhilippMainlander wrote:

Others betting on my failure, that I will not get in anywhere. And for now, it seems the devil wins and I've yet to receive a single acceptance. Meanwhile, most on this forum already received at least 1 offer. I have to say, I feel a little envious/jealous. :cry:

I cry
Well, some people, like me, won’t post their applications until they get an offer. I didn’t post them 2 years before as an undergraduate and maybe I won’t after two weeks as a master. I must say good bye for math if I can’t get any offer.

ahhhhmeh

Post by ahhhhmeh » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:02 am

nicole2 wrote:
Cyclicduck wrote:
PhilippMainlander wrote:

I cry
It seems like some schools won’t evaluate applications until mid-February. Harvard and UPenn have an earlier deadline so they respond earlier. If you really want a PhD, it’s ok if you don’t make the cut this year. I know a couple of ways that I could improve my application a lot that I couldn’t before. I’ll definitely try again next year, in the meantime I’ll work and study.

nicole2

Post by nicole2 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:11 pm

ahhhhmeh wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:02 am
nicole2 wrote:
Cyclicduck wrote:

I cry
It seems like some schools won’t evaluate applications until mid-February. Harvard and UPenn have an earlier deadline so they respond earlier. If you really want a PhD, it’s ok if you don’t make the cut this year. I know a couple of ways that I could improve my application a lot that I couldn’t before. I’ll definitely try again next year, in the meantime I’ll work and study.
If my goals are to become a professional mathematician, does it hurt my chances in the future when applying for jobs in academia, if I were to get a doctorate from a group 2 or group 3 university?

PhilippMainlander

Post by PhilippMainlander » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:18 pm

nicole2 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:11 pm
ahhhhmeh wrote:
nicole2 wrote:

I cry
If my goals are to become a professional mathematician, does it hurt my chances in the future when applying for jobs in academia, if I were to get a doctorate from a group 2 or group 3 university?

If you get a doctorate from a group 2 university and do really well, then you have a chance at being a professor at a good university (Group I and Group II). However, becoming a professor is really hard even if you do everything right. If you want to become an assistant professor at a liberal arts college then it is possible with a doctorate from a group 2 university.

For example, I don't want to do academia. I want to do research in industry or the government. I think academia is overrated, but then again I'm just a lowly undergraduate.

tldr; becoming a professor is really hard. Avoid adjunct hell by always having industry and the government as a backup plan (Do internships).

CoronalRain

Post by CoronalRain » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:23 pm

nicole2 wrote:
I don't really know the details of how to secure a tenure track position. What I do know is that my school is completely unknown in the mathematical community (doesn't have a Mathematics Ph.D. program, but it's similar in quality to some of the weaker Group 3's), and even we were receiving applications from Princeton graduates and the like. The academic job market is apparently super competitive these days, so even garbage-tier universities like mine are scooping up strong mathematicians.

Cyclicduck

Post by Cyclicduck » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:42 pm

CoronalRain wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:23 pm
nicole2 wrote:
I don't really know the details of how to secure a tenure track position. What I do know is that my school is completely unknown in the mathematical community (doesn't have a Mathematics Ph.D. program, but it's similar in quality to some of the weaker Group 3's), and even we were receiving applications from Princeton graduates and the like. The academic job market is apparently super competitive these days, so even garbage-tier universities like mine are scooping up strong mathematicians.
I totally believe you, but I also know that some garbage-tier and maybe even some less garbage-tier also end up with some garbage-tier mathematicians. How this happens I fail to understand.

ahhhhmeh

Post by ahhhhmeh » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:53 pm

There are many great mathematicians who are doing awesome research at universities that non-mathematicians don’t know much about. I’ve been told the top tier schools are preferred by many who want the name recognition to work in industry. If you look at the faculty at Harvard, MIT etc you’ll find many didn’t go to a tier 1 school. You should choose based on the research each institution is doing and whether it fits your interests. I’ve been also told to make sure I study some applied math as well because becoming a tenured pure math professor is extremely hard and keep my options open.

ponchan

Post by ponchan » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:44 pm

nicole2 wrote:
ahhhhmeh wrote:
nicole2 wrote:

I cry
No. What matters is the work you do. Do you honestly think when a committee gets an application they say "well, he has papers in Duke, Inventiones, American Journal of Math, and Acta, but it looks like he went to a "group 2" univeristy. Oh well!" That's absurd. I know people who went to supposed group 2 and 3 programs who ended up with NSF postdocs at Stanford and Berkeley.

And conversely, there are people who graduate from places like Stanford who get zero postdoc offers. Ultimately, you are who you are.

Cyclicduck

Post by Cyclicduck » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:54 pm

ponchan wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:44 pm
nicole2 wrote:
ahhhhmeh wrote:

No. What matters is the work you do. Do you honestly think when a committee gets an application they say "well, he has papers in Duke, Inventiones, American Journal of Math, and Acta, but it looks like he went to a "group 2" univeristy. Oh well!" That's absurd. I know people who went to supposed group 2 and 3 programs who ended up with NSF postdocs at Stanford and Berkeley.

And conversely, there are people who graduate from places like Stanford who get zero postdoc offers. Ultimately, you are who you are.
But the work you do is highly affected by where you are...trust me, I know, coming from the ****** ***** ******* **** ****-**** ****-***-******* ******** known as WashU.

ponchan

Post by ponchan » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:01 pm

Cyclicduck wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:54 pm
ponchan wrote:
nicole2 wrote:

But the work you do is highly affected by where you are...trust me, I know, coming from the ****** ***** ******* **** ****-**** ****-***-******* ******** known as WashU.
I don't think this is necessarily the case. I guess it depends on how you choose to spend your time. If you are proactive -- going to conferences, reading papers on the archive, reaching out to potential collaborators -- then where you are doesn't really matter, assuming you have a supportive advisor and program. Honestly, what can have an effect is your teaching load. If you can help it, don't go somewhere where you'll be required to teach every semester. Also, if you are the weakest person in your program (or one of them) that could have a negative influence on your psyche and make it hard to be productive.

Cyclicduck

Post by Cyclicduck » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:19 am

ponchan wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:01 pm
Cyclicduck wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:54 pm
ponchan wrote:

I don't think this is necessarily the case. I guess it depends on how you choose to spend your time. If you are proactive -- going to conferences, reading papers on the archive, reaching out to potential collaborators -- then where you are doesn't really matter, assuming you have a supportive advisor and program. Honestly, what can have an effect is your teaching load. If you can help it, don't go somewhere where you'll be required to teach every semester. Also, if you are the weakest person in your program (or one of them) that could have a negative influence on your psyche and make it hard to be productive.
It isn't necessarily the case, especially if there are good professors in your field there as well as peers. However, if there aren't, however proactive you try to be, it's just a lot worse. At least this is what I experienced as an undergrad at the worst ****** ****** ******** ******-**** ***** school called WashU where there is literally not a single other student doing math my year (or the year below me, as far as I'm aware).

nicole2

Post by nicole2 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:28 am

I feel better already know, and no I don't want to teach grade schools kids, they annoy me.

Well, hopefully I get into at least 1 school. I'm like the only person I know without acceptance as of now. It's depressing. :(

Cyclicduck

Post by Cyclicduck » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:56 pm

nicole2 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:28 am
I feel better already know, and no I don't want to teach grade schools kids, they annoy me.

Well, hopefully I get into at least 1 school. I'm like the only person I know without acceptance as of now. It's depressing. :(
Nicole, I am willing to give you a $20 insurance bet. That is, if you fail to get into any grad schools, I give you $20, but if you do, you give me $20.

pm me if interested

nicole2

Post by nicole2 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:49 pm

Cyclicduck wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:56 pm
nicole2 wrote:

Nicole, I am willing to give you a $20 insurance bet. That is, if you fail to get into any grad schools, I give you $20, but if you do, you give me $20.

pm me if interested
I don't know if I should take this as reassurance of me getting into at least one school or otherwise.
Thanks for cheering me up though. :D

I got tons of rejection the last couple days ...

nicole2

Post by nicole2 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:54 pm

Getting rejected by Iowa State is really putting me on edge. Now I am looking for schools with late Feb/March deadlines to apply to. :(

Has anyone received responses from BU, Syracuse, Clemson, Michigan or Penn State yet?

CoronalRain

Post by CoronalRain » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:12 pm

nicole2 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:54 pm
Getting rejected by Iowa State is really putting me on edge. Now I am looking for schools with late Feb/March deadlines to apply to. :(

Has anyone received responses from BU, Syracuse, Clemson, Michigan or Penn State yet?
If it’s any consolation, I know a guy who got into Clemson last year with test scores similar to yours.

nicole2

Post by nicole2 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:18 pm

CoronalRain wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:12 pm
nicole2 wrote:

If it’s any consolation, I know a guy who got into Clemson last year with test scores similar to yours.
Did you mention "a guy" to insinuate that - since a boy with a similar profile as mine got into Clemson, me as a girl will definitely get in?

PhilippMainlander

Post by PhilippMainlander » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:26 pm

nicole2 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:18 pm
CoronalRain wrote:
nicole2 wrote:

Did you mention "a guy" to insinuate that - since a boy with a similar profile as mine got into Clemson, me as a girl will definitely get in?
There is no definite, but I think you can get into Clemson. Don't submit your mgre score to them though.

CoronalRain

Post by CoronalRain » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:27 pm

nicole2 wrote:
CoronalRain wrote:
nicole2 wrote:

No.

wujinya1

Post by wujinya1 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:30 pm

nicole2 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:49 pm
Cyclicduck wrote:
nicole2 wrote:

pm me if interested
I don't know if I should take this as reassurance of me getting into at least one school or otherwise.

If you see cyclic's previous posts, it is very clear that he/she is just trolling you at this point.

BTW, have you considered any Master program?

Failing to get into any Phd program doesn't mean that you don't have the potential to be a good mathematician,
it just means that currently these programs are not a match for you,
maybe because all the professors in the fields that interests you got too many Phd students already,
maybe because they don't think you are not fully prepared (or failed to demonstrate it).

Now, all the schools you applied to are very very competitive.
Many applicants start preparing for it since their freshmen year (In case of top 10, many start preparing since high school).
School that has a not so high general ranking usually has expertise in some small fields.
(Also the gender composition is not that imbalanced...in some it is approximately 50:50.)
(and female applicants exists, and there are many).

What I am trying to say is that doing a master wouldn't be a bad thing to consider.
It gives you an opportunity to demonstrate your research potential, to learn more stuff, and most importantly, a chance to get into one of these top Phd program after two years of study in a master program.

Cyclicduck

Post by Cyclicduck » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:56 pm

wujinya1 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:30 pm
nicole2 wrote:
Cyclicduck wrote:

pm me if interested

If you see cyclic's previous posts, it is very clear that he/she is just trolling you at this point.
You're wrong, I am completely serious.
If I troll you should be able to tell I'm trolling by the content. There is nothing trollish about that post.

nicole2

Post by nicole2 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:59 pm

PhilippMainlander wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:26 pm
nicole2 wrote:
CoronalRain wrote:

There is no definite, but I think you can get into Clemson. Don't submit your mgre score to them though.
Oh yeah I definitely didn't except to the ones that requires it.
CoronalRain wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:27 pm
nicole2 wrote:
CoronalRain wrote:

No.
Oh okay. :(

nicole2

Post by nicole2 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:02 pm

wujinya1 wrote:
nicole2 wrote:
Cyclicduck wrote:

pm me if interested

Failing to get into any Phd program doesn't mean that you don't have the potential to be a good mathematician,
maybe because all the professors in the fields that interests you got too many Phd students already,
maybe because they don't think you are not fully prepared (or failed to demonstrate it).

Many applicants start preparing for it since their freshmen year (In case of top 10, many start preparing since high school).
School that has a not so high general ranking usually has expertise in some small fields.
(Also the gender composition is not that imbalanced...in some it is approximately 50:50.)

What I am trying to say is that doing a master wouldn't be a bad thing to consider.
It gives you an opportunity to demonstrate your research potential, to learn more stuff, and most importantly, a chance to get into one of these top Phd program after two years of study in a master program.
Yes, I went thru the last couple years of records, it seems like umichigan sometimes offer masters admission for people like me. And, I was interested in Canadian masters program as backup, but people have been saying their masters program are very competitive.

I'm just kind of in shock and panic that I got rejected by Iowa State, because I've seen people with lower GPA and gre scores that got in. Hopefully I'll get into at least ONE school. Then beer's on me^ :D

^ Terms and conditions: Actually beer (one you can see) if and only if we end up in the same school, otherwise it is virtual (aka emoji)

ahhhhmeh

Post by ahhhhmeh » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:37 pm

nicole2 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:02 pm
wujinya1 wrote:
nicole2 wrote:

Yes, I went thru the last couple years of records, it seems like umichigan sometimes offer masters admission for people like me. And, I was interested in Canadian masters program as backup, but people have been saying their masters program are very competitive.

I'm just kind of in shock and panic that I got rejected by Iowa State, because I've seen people with lower GPA and gre scores that got in. Hopefully I'll get into at least ONE school. Then beer's on me^ :D

^ Terms and conditions: Actually beer (one you can see) if and only if we end up in the same school, otherwise it is virtual (aka emoji)
NYU has a masters program. There are a few schools in NYC area with master in math programs that have April deadlines I think.

EricAndre

Post by EricAndre » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:04 am

ahhhhmeh wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:37 pm
nicole2 wrote:
wujinya1 wrote:

NYU has a masters program. There are a few schools in NYC area with master in math programs that have April deadlines I think.
Isn't the nyu masters a huge cash grab?

misterB

Post by misterB » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:22 am

nicole2 wrote:

Rutgers Newark is still accepting applications if I recall correctly

ponchan

Post by ponchan » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:16 am

EricAndre wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:04 am
ahhhhmeh wrote:
nicole2 wrote:

Yeah you pay 50k a year. And it doesn’t look like people get into great programs coming from it. I’d recommend a less competitive program like Miami university or wake forest. You’re looking for a safety school right? Well here they are.

nicole2

Post by nicole2 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:04 pm

ponchan wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:16 am
EricAndre wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:04 am
ahhhhmeh wrote:

Yeah you pay 50k a year. And it doesn’t look like people get into great programs coming from it. I’d recommend a less competitive program like Miami university or wake forest. You’re looking for a safety school right? Well here they are.
Definitely not going to pay 50k a year plus living in nyc. I'm good, not applying to Miami and wake forest. I'll take my chances and hope for the best.

davis7e

Post by davis7e » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:58 pm

If you need a true safety school then toss an app at Central Michigan. They'll accept almost every person who applies and you can transfer out into a more reputable program after 2 years. There is a decent track record of PhD students in that program leaving with a masters and entering better programs (Notre Dame, Michigan State, Texas A&M, Stony Brook and more). You'll also leave with 1-2 years of experience as an instructor of record (it is a teaching focused school) which can look reasonably good should you decide to apply elsewhere during your second year. I believe their deadline isn't until March (I could be wrong) but they'll accept people after that deadline as well.

EricAndre

Post by EricAndre » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:28 pm

davis7e wrote:
He didn't hear back till April 11th? That is crazy.

nicole2

Post by nicole2 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:47 pm

davis7e wrote:
Did they give him until April 15th to accept the offers? LOL Wonder which schools would do this.

AugmentedSeventh

Post by AugmentedSeventh » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:20 am

nicole2 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:47 pm
davis7e wrote:
Did they give him until April 15th to accept the offers? LOL Wonder which schools would do this.
I think this is quite a common occurrence for waitlisted applicants, because people tend to decline offers close to the April 15th deadline.

nicole2

Post by nicole2 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:30 am

AugmentedSeventh wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:20 am
nicole2 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:47 pm
davis7e wrote:
I think this is quite a common occurrence for waitlisted applicants, because people tend to decline offers close to the April 15th deadline.
That's just inconsiderate.

fluffball

Post by fluffball » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:15 am

nicole2 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:30 am
AugmentedSeventh wrote:

On whose part? Lots of people have both an acceptance at a lower-choice school and are waitlisted at a higher-choice school. So they don't know that they'll be declining the lower-choice school either until the waitlist at the higher-choice school moves. The food-chain domino effect is just the way it is.

analysister

Post by analysister » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:00 am

fluffball wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:15 am
nicole2 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:30 am
AugmentedSeventh wrote:

On whose part? Lots of people have both an acceptance at a lower-choice school and are waitlisted at a higher-choice school. So they don't know that they'll be declining the lower-choice school either until the waitlist at the higher-choice school moves. The food-chain domino effect is just the way it is.
There is also the realities of visiting. I have declined one offer but am seriously considering the rest. To make a real decision I need to visit but one of the schools doesn't have me visit until 4/2, so even if I don't love it, I will not know until then. I am still trying to make my decisions as soon as possible, but sometimes it is not so black and white.

davis7e

Post by davis7e » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:02 pm

My buddy received one offer on April 11 (I think it was from Syracuse) and they gave him a week to decide. I think he then received an offer from Iowa and K State on April 13 and 14, respectively. Each gave him until April 15 to decide until he emailed them back asking for 2-3 more days so that he could email current students about things like cost of living, qualifying exams and other basics that one should probably know about ahead of time.

PhilippMainlander

Post by PhilippMainlander » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:01 pm

davis7e wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:02 pm
My buddy received one offer on April 11 (I think it was from Syracuse) and they gave him a week to decide. I think he then received an offer from Iowa and K State on April 13 and 14, respectively. Each gave him until April 15 to decide until he emailed them back asking for 2-3 more days so that he could email current students about things like cost of living, qualifying exams and other basics that one should probably know about ahead of time.
This post gives me hope.