Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
dujiahan

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by dujiahan » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:53 pm

MathParent wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:43 pm
CoronalRain wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:38 pm
MathParent wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:31 pm
My kiddo just got accepted by UNC Chapel Hill, this is his first acceptance, with TA-ship and all (acceptance by official e-mail). I am happy. The kid is not talking, but then he is not much of a talker anyway.
Congrats! That is great to hear. The first acceptance is a huge relief, and I hope they keep rolling in.
Yes and thank you, I hope they do. The kid is only 16, and many Universities may assume he will not be able to handle TA-ship and reject him. It's really not logical, but what can we do... At least he got this one now, and UNC is a good place.
You will not like my response: he should stay in college and finish at 22. There is no point in going to grad school at 16 unless it's a top 10 or an ivy league school (Dartmouth excluded).

CoronalRain

Post by CoronalRain » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:00 pm

dujiahan wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:53 pm
You will not like my response: he should stay in college and finish at 22. There is no point in going to grad school at 16 unless it's a top 10 or an ivy league school (Dartmouth excluded).
What do you expect the kid to do for 6 years? That sounds like a terrible idea to me. Maybe it would make sense to pursue a Master's degree in the intervening years, but just avoiding a Ph.D. for SIX years?? He obviously already has a strong undergraduate background, since UNC accepted him.

asterac

Post by asterac » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:08 pm

MathParent wrote:
Yes and thank you, I hope they do. The kid is only 16, and many Universities may assume he will not be able to handle TA-ship and reject him. It's really not logical, but what can we do... At least he got this one now, and UNC is a good place.
I’ve got a classmate who was admitted to the PhD program at my uni at 17, and the teaching responsibility here is high—everyone is expected to become a full instructor after only a few months TAing. He’s doing quite well! Best of luck to your boy :)

Integreat

Post by Integreat » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:19 pm

MathParent wrote:
My kiddo just got accepted by UNC Chapel Hill, this is his first acceptance, with TA-ship and all (acceptance by official e-mail). I am happy. The kid is not talking, but then he is not much of a talker anyway.
That's awesome! Congratulations to him :) I wish him the best of luck

MathParent

Post by MathParent » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:28 pm

dujiahan wrote:
MathParent wrote:
CoronalRain wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:38 pm

Congrats! That is great to hear. The first acceptance is a huge relief, and I hope they keep rolling in.
Guess what? I was not exactly asking for your advice, you know... Neither did he. Besides, when he goes to grad school he will be 17, not 16.

MathParent

Post by MathParent » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:49 pm

CoronalRain wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:00 pm
dujiahan wrote:
What do you expect the kid to do for 6 years? That sounds like a terrible idea to me. Maybe it would make sense to pursue a Master's degree in the intervening years, but just avoiding a Ph.D. for SIX years?? He obviously already has a strong undergraduate background, since UNC accepted him.
Exactly.
The boy has publications already, his boss says "he is killing it" - research-wise. What the heck is he supposed to do in ANY place where he will not be able to do research right away?

MathParent

Post by MathParent » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:50 pm

Integreat wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:19 pm
MathParent wrote:
That's awesome! Congratulations to him :) I wish him the best of luck
Thank you!

MathParent

Post by MathParent » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:51 pm

asterac wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:08 pm
MathParent wrote:
I’ve got a classmate who was admitted to the PhD program at my uni at 17, and the teaching responsibility here is high—everyone is expected to become a full instructor after only a few months TAing. He’s doing quite well! Best of luck to your boy :)
Thank you!

mani_fold

Post by mani_fold » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:52 am

Wow. The Wisconsin gradcafe slaughter makes me
think my lack of an offer/rejection is probably a belated rejection letter rather than a waitlist. I want to have hope.....

misterB

Post by misterB » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:12 am

Has anyone heard from Indiana or Michigan State?

misterB

Post by misterB » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:15 am

mani_fold wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:52 am
Wow. The Wisconsin gradcafe slaughter makes me
think my lack of an offer/rejection is probably a belated rejection letter rather than a waitlist. I want to have hope.....

A senior from my college did get a late acceptance , I think sometime in March or April. Don't remember precisely. So you shouldn't lose hope just yet.

HarmonicDog

Post by HarmonicDog » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:26 am

misterB wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:12 am
I received an offer from MSU last Thursday.

noobplayer

Post by noobplayer » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:30 am

Wisconsin and Duke seem to have sent out rejections and acceptances, but I have not heard anything yet. I am a little freaked out, is anyone in the same boat?

Also, does anybody have information about Berkeley and Michigan? Are there going to be any more admissions?

Really feeling the pressure these days... :(

MathParent

Post by MathParent » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:50 am

noobplayer wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:30 am
Wisconsin and Duke seem to have sent out rejections and acceptances, but I have not heard anything yet. I am a little freaked out, is anyone in the same boat?

Also, does anybody have information about Berkeley and Michigan? Are there going to be any more admissions?

I am sure there are other people in the same situation. I know of one. I suspect that all these (Berkeley, Michigan, Duke, Wisconsin, etc.) sent out their "obvious" acceptances, and their "obvious" rejections. And now they have a harder choices to make, and they are sitting on that third pile of applicants, giving it some time to "simmer." Ohio State, for example, has it plainly on their site: they do sent acceptances in two waves.
https://math.osu.edu/grad/future - read "admission process and numbers"

<<We typically receive between 300 and 350 applications for the PhD program each year, and our recruitment target for an incoming class is usually around 15-25 new PhDs. The process typically starts with a pre-screening of the files by the chair of the recruitment committee based on basic data such as performance in critical courses, general background, test scores, and brief inspections of letters. The graduate recruitment committee then reviews about 100-120 files in greater depth, split over two rounds, one in early January and another in late February. This review typically leads to the admission of around 70-80 students to the PhD program, as well as an ordered wait list issued sometime in March.

For MAQRM we anticipate admitting approximately 12-15 students this year, though this number may vary based on the size and qualifications of the applicant pool>>

There were 11 admitted postings to Ohio State on Grad Cafe, and 9 in the year before. Thus, form this (totally insignificant) sample of two data points, about every seventh of eighth applicant posts his/her admission on grad cafe... Obviously, this site is gaining popularity, so probably more candidates post now than before. At this time, there are only 7 admitted posts for Ohio. Seems there is more room.

I think situation is similar at other schools, but only Ohio spelled out their process so clearly on their web site, that's why I am using it as the guide.

misterB

Post by misterB » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:55 am

HarmonicDog wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:26 am
misterB wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:12 am
I received an offer from MSU last Thursday.
Lol that can't bode well for me

PhilippMainlander

Post by PhilippMainlander » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:27 am

Curious, what time of day do schools usually send out their acceptances?

asterac

Post by asterac » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:11 pm

PhilippMainlander wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:27 am
Curious, what time of day do schools usually send out their acceptances?
Varies. I got one at 5:21 pm in the school’s time zone, another at 7:35 am.

LoCelso

Post by LoCelso » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:22 pm

noobplayer wrote:

Exactly the same situation. I see some posts where people get acceptance from Ohio State/Galtect/something like that but get rejected by Wisconsin or Duke, so seems like they have made some "legit" decisions, not just obvious ones.

PhilippMainlander

Post by PhilippMainlander » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:31 pm

I hate this wait so much :x.

CoronalRain

Post by CoronalRain » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:38 pm

It looks like Brown has begun their slaughter of the applied math applicants. I wonder when the same will happen for the pure side.

Mustela nivalis

Post by Mustela nivalis » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:39 pm

Wow, Brown did massive rejections today, but did not mention me. Although it touches applied math only, do I still have a (tiny) chance? I am a pure math applicant.
Last edited by Mustela nivalis on Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PhilippMainlander

Post by PhilippMainlander » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:49 pm

No news from Emory yet. :(

CoronalRain

Post by CoronalRain » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:49 pm

Mustela nivalis wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:39 pm
Wow, Brown did massive rejections today. Although it touches applied math only, do I still have a (tiny) chance? I am a pure math applicant.
The only movement on the pure side, as far as I can tell, is a couple professors reaching out to applicants with unofficial acceptances. I haven't seen anyone post an official acceptance/rejection on the pure side yet, so I wouldn't worry. It looks like the applied math and pure math departments are quite separate at Brown.

AugmentedSeventh

Post by AugmentedSeventh » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:56 pm

Anyone heard back from Columbia? There is an acceptance on gradcafe, and last year they sent out acceptances and rejections on the same day.

Orpheus11235

Post by Orpheus11235 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:11 pm

AugmentedSeventh wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:56 pm
Anyone heard back from Columbia? There is an acceptance on gradcafe, and last year they sent out acceptances and rejections on the same day.
I applied, haven't heard anything...

dujiahan

Post by dujiahan » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:11 pm

Got accepted to Michigan AIM after rejection by Brown!
Also got into UCLA, Madison, Northwestern ESAM and Georgia Tech!
Yeah!!

This shows that schools care A GREAT DEAL about GRE subject, since I got 950(99%), which definitely helped. :D

Some people on this forum are downplaying the importance of the GRE subject, which I think is just misleading to many applicants. Again, most of us do not have the special qualifications that someone who got into MIT with <80% has.

yaskhn3

Post by yaskhn3 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:30 pm

dujiahan wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:11 pm
Yeah!!

This shows that schools care A GREAT DEAL about GRE subject, since I got 950(99%), which definitely helped. :D

Some people on this forum are downplaying the importance of the GRE subject, which I think is just misleading to many applicants. Again, most of us do not have the special qualifications that someone who got into MIT with <80% has.
I agree with this 100%, and this holds especially for Internationals. Anything below 850-900 and you're out of competition. And I applied to these places with a 700 😂

I repeat, unless you worked with super famous professors who wrote amazing LORs for you, or have bunch of international medals, don't bother applying to top 20 with a score below 850-900, no matter what. Nothing can compensate for that.

mani_fold

Post by mani_fold » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:35 pm

dujiahan wrote:
Yeah!!

sInCe i GoT a 950, wHiCh DeFiNiTeLy HeLpEd

noobplayer

Post by noobplayer » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:00 pm

dujiahan wrote:
Yeah!!

big congratulations!!

I don't think we can draw such a strong conclusion though - as counter-anecdotal evidence, I am from a school of similar stature, with similar profile (except that I am a domestic student and scored 970 on the mgre), and yet I don't have any good (or bad, phew?) news like that to share yet.

I guess it is hard to tell what the adcoms are looking for in the applicants that are not internationally renowned published child prodigies LOL. But we have all turned in our apps, nothing to do but hope for the best!

noobplayer

Post by noobplayer » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:03 pm

MathParent wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:50 am
noobplayer wrote:

I am sure there are other people in the same situation. I know of one. I suspect that all these (Berkeley, Michigan, Duke, Wisconsin, etc.) sent out their "obvious" acceptances, and their "obvious" rejections. And now they have a harder choices to make, and they are sitting on that third pile of applicants, giving it some time to "simmer." Ohio State, for example, has it plainly on their site: they do sent acceptances in two waves.
https://math.osu.edu/grad/future - read "admission process and numbers"

<<We typically receive between 300 and 350 applications for the PhD program each year, and our recruitment target for an incoming class is usually around 15-25 new PhDs. The process typically starts with a pre-screening of the files by the chair of the recruitment committee based on basic data such as performance in critical courses, general background, test scores, and brief inspections of letters. The graduate recruitment committee then reviews about 100-120 files in greater depth, split over two rounds, one in early January and another in late February. This review typically leads to the admission of around 70-80 students to the PhD program, as well as an ordered wait list issued sometime in March.

For MAQRM we anticipate admitting approximately 12-15 students this year, though this number may vary based on the size and qualifications of the applicant pool>>

There were 11 admitted postings to Ohio State on Grad Cafe, and 9 in the year before. Thus, form this (totally insignificant) sample of two data points, about every seventh of eighth applicant posts his/her admission on grad cafe... Obviously, this site is gaining popularity, so probably more candidates post now than before. At this time, there are only 7 admitted posts for Ohio. Seems there is more room.

I think situation is similar at other schools, but only Ohio spelled out their process so clearly on their web site, that's why I am using it as the guide.
Thank you for the informative response! I do hope that you are right about these schools "sitting" on a pile of applications. Also, congratulations to MathSon on UNC! :D

MathParent

Post by MathParent » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:18 pm

noobplayer wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:03 pm
Thank you for the informative response! I do hope that you are right about these schools "sitting" on a pile of applications. Also, congratulations to MathSon on UNC! :D
You are welcome, and thanks for your congratulations!

Otter320

Post by Otter320 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:17 pm

Anyone heard from UMD AMSC or JHU AMS? Besides, I haven't seen any news about Columbia APAM since Jan 25, has anyone heard from it?

ahhhhmeh

Post by ahhhhmeh » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:12 am

What’s the appropriate reaction for a masters student who gets rejected from their own school’s PhD program? [besides embarrassment obviously :oops: ]

CoronalRain

Post by CoronalRain » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:20 am

ahhhhmeh wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:12 am
What’s the appropriate reaction for a masters student who gets rejected from their own school’s PhD program? [besides embarrassment obviously :oops: ]
I like UCLA's take on this:

"The UCLA Mathematics Department encourages students to change their educational institution between their Bachelor and PhD degrees to broaden their horizons. In particular, no admissions advantage is given to UCLA undergraduates."

Perhaps it stings a little more as a Master's student, but I still think it's relevant.

Otter320

Post by Otter320 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:48 am

ahhhhmeh wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:12 am
I am getting nervous now. I also applied to the PhD program in my home institution. :shock:

ellen_klly2020

Post by ellen_klly2020 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:18 am

Ahh I just saw that people have gotten acceptances to Cal tech and Columbia on grad cafe. What does this mean for the rest of us who haven’t heard back?

mishania1996

Post by mishania1996 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:23 am

ellen_klly2020 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:18 am
Ahh I just saw that people have gotten acceptances to Cal tech and Columbia on grad cafe. What does this mean for the rest of us who haven’t heard back?

kkkkat

Post by kkkkat » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:21 am

ellen_klly2020 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:18 am
I'm in the same situation, and am expecting rejections, TBH.

laplacian

Post by laplacian » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:35 am

All Columbia posts on gradcafe are the same, there are no info about test scores or background. I feel like they are fake, but that's just my opinion.

kkkkat

Post by kkkkat » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:39 am

laplacian wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:35 am
All Columbia posts on gradcafe are the same, there are no info about test scores or background. I feel like they are fake, but that's just my opinion.
I wish I could be as optimistic as you.

AugmentedSeventh

Post by AugmentedSeventh » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:51 am

laplacian wrote:
Someone's application profile on this website says that they were asked if they wanted to be waitlisted, so I am guessing Columbia actually did give out acceptances yesterday.

Cyclicduck

Post by Cyclicduck » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:53 pm

laplacian wrote:
bahaha I can confirm they are real

so now you know

(unless you think I'm a fake too)

jamest03

Post by jamest03 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:06 pm

Anyone heard back from Columbia APAM, MIT CSE, Courant applied math, Chicago CAM though? I've seen these offers are all pure math.

Integreat

Post by Integreat » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:34 pm

Got into Notre Dame :)

chrisps1992

Post by chrisps1992 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:38 pm

Integreat wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:34 pm
How were you notified?

laplacian

Post by laplacian » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:42 pm

I no longer think they are fake, my apologies if I revived any hopes.

Integreat

Post by Integreat » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:42 pm

chrisps1992 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:38 pm
Integreat wrote:
How were you notified?
Email, including the funding offer.

chrisps1992

Post by chrisps1992 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:43 pm

Integreat wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:42 pm
chrisps1992 wrote:
Integreat wrote:
How were you notified?
Nice, congrats!

Mustela nivalis

Post by Mustela nivalis » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:47 pm

It seems that I will be rejected from every school. Even university of Oregon, my utterly safe variant, says nothing, though one international applicant has already an offer.

chrisps1992

Post by chrisps1992 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:13 pm

Integreat wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:42 pm
chrisps1992 wrote:
Integreat wrote:
How were you notified?
Is it safe to say if you didn’t get an offer today that you are waitlisted or rejected?