Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
EricAndre

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by EricAndre » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:16 pm

Cyclicduck wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:19 am
omg Ken Ono is at UVA!!!!
Ken Ono is Shang Tsung.

Integreat

Post by Integreat » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:27 pm

jungleshrimp wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:15 pm
Has anyone who interviewed with UC Irvine still not heard back yet? I saw a couple acceptances on grad cafe...
I'm in the same boat. Pretty sure everyone got asked it, but my interviewer asked how likely I was to attend. I guess they recommend strong students for fellowships and want to know the probability that they will attend.

Still haven't heard back though :/

jungleshrimp

Post by jungleshrimp » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:35 pm

Thanks for the reply I'm really glad to hear I'm not the only one!

MathParent

Post by MathParent » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:18 pm

Oops-ilon wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:17 am
Has anyone here heard from UVA? It looks like they sent out a round of acceptances/waitlists yesterday on grad cafe. I spoke to the GSA in the fall, and he said they sent out decisions in rounds, but I'm worried the second round might just be rejections. Also, if they already have a determined waitlist, what is the purpose of different rounds?
My kid got acceptance e-mail from UVA at 2am or so, on 2/7.

mani_fold

Post by mani_fold » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:14 pm

Looks like a lot of people are on the waitlist at Utah; I went ahead and declined my offer to free up a spot early. Good luck to all of you

MathParent

Post by MathParent » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:52 pm

Anybody is getting any word from UC San Diego? There are three lonely posts on grad cafe, only one for pure math...

cc119

Post by cc119 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:13 pm

Oops-ilon wrote:
Has anyone here heard from UVA? It looks like they sent out a round of acceptances/waitlists yesterday on grad cafe. I spoke to the GSA in the fall, and he said they sent out decisions in rounds, but I'm worried the second round might just be rejections. Also, if they already have a determined waitlist, what is the purpose of different rounds?
They posted a short letter on my status portal saying, "You have been placed on an admission waitlist and are a candidate for that program should an opening become available." I don't know but it will sound weird to me if they send out another round of acceptances. :oops:

CoronalRain

Post by CoronalRain » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:19 pm

MathParent wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:52 pm
Anybody is getting any word from UC San Diego? There are three lonely posts on grad cafe, only one for pure math...
I see 4 acceptances, all for math (presumably pure).

KYotodo

Post by KYotodo » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:20 pm

mani_fold wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:14 pm
Looks like a lot of people are on the waitlist at Utah; I went ahead and declined my offer to free up a spot early. Good luck to all of you
I just got waitlisted from Utah. Thank you very much!!!

mani_fold

Post by mani_fold » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:04 pm

KYotodo wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:20 pm
No problem-- good luck!

misterB

Post by misterB » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:17 pm

MathParent wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:18 pm
Oops-ilon wrote:
My kid got acceptance e-mail from UVA at 2am or so, on 2/7.
In case he decides not to go to UVA could you kindly decline the offer, my friends on waitlist.

JK10

Post by JK10 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:29 pm

Please!!! Begging for my John Hopkins waitlist

fastsnail

Post by fastsnail » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:37 pm

It's Johnssssssssss Hopkins

cc119

Post by cc119 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:42 pm

JK10 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:29 pm
Do you know anyone else who got accepted by Johns Hopkins? I haven't seen any acceptance other than the only post on Grad Cafe.

SKS2s17fa

Post by SKS2s17fa » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:11 am

KYotodo wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:20 pm
mani_fold wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:14 pm
Is there an email saying you are on the waitlist? I got nothing from Utah.

nicole2

Post by nicole2 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:37 am

Did Syracuse roll out their offer already? I saw one acceptance on the main thread on 02/07 (I called Syracuse that day but the entire university was closed, wonder how the offer was made) now kind of panicking.
:( I'm so scared right now of not getting in anywhere.

Doesn't seem like there's any tier 2 schools I can still apply to ...

EDIT: Applying to one more safety: WVU :D you can never be too careful.
Last edited by nicole2 on Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

ahhhhmeh

Post by ahhhhmeh » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:14 am

Anyone else still in limbo? It seems like all the programs I’ve applied to won’t respond until late February - early March. Except the school that is definitely not gonna accept me but hasn’t officially sent a rejection. :?

Is it me or does it seem either fewer people are applying to pure math phd or people don’t care about posting their profiles as much as they used to?

analysister

Post by analysister » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:03 am

nicole2 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:37 am
Did Syracuse roll out their offer already? I saw one acceptance on the main thread on 02/07 (I called Syracuse that day but the entire university was closed, wonder how the offer was made) now kind of panicking.

Central/Upstate NY got totally covered on Friday, which is probably why they were closed. But some faculty, especially those who live close will still come in to get work done. So it is certainly not impossible that an offer was made.

If you really want to call, try again Monday, the snow has stopped and been cleared pretty well so things should be back to normal

panchitopanchito2

Post by panchitopanchito2 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:15 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by panchitopanchito2 on Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

wujinya1

Post by wujinya1 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:11 pm

ahhhhmeh wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:14 am
Anyone else still in limbo? It seems like all the programs I’ve applied to won’t respond until late February - early March. Except the school that is definitely not gonna accept me but hasn’t officially sent a rejection. :?

Is it me or does it seem either fewer people are applying to pure math phd or people don’t care about posting their profiles as much as they used to?
If by limbo, you mean no rejections and no admissions, then YES!!!
Just be patient....

SKS2s17fa

Post by SKS2s17fa » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:34 pm

ahhhhmeh wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:14 am

Same for me. I don’t know what happened. Even my own school didn’t respond me.

JK10

Post by JK10 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:16 pm

cc119 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:42 pm
JK10 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:29 pm
Do you know anyone else who got accepted by Johns Hopkins? I haven't seen any acceptance other than the only post on Grad Cafe.
There's one in Gradcafe. And the admission office in John Hopkins said they released all the offers.

lambert

Post by lambert » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:05 am

nicole2 wrote:

Honestly, on the off-chance you are not a troll, you should blame your advisor at least partially for this. I have no idea what they were thinking by telling you to apply to every top place simply riding on the virtue of being a domestic female, with a math background that's nowhere near the level of people getting into these programs. They should be held responsible for the poor school choices that led to this mess of being demotivated by constant rejections and making last-minute applications to random schools.

nicole2

Post by nicole2 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:23 am

lambert wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:05 am
nicole2 wrote:

Honestly, on the off-chance you are not a troll, you should blame your advisor at least partially for this. I have no idea what they were thinking by telling you to apply to every top place simply riding on the virtue of being a domestic female, with a math background that's nowhere near the level of people getting into these programs. They should be held responsible for the poor school choices that led to this mess of being demotivated by constant rejections and making last-minute applications to random schools.
Dude that is so rude. Believe whatever you want but stop wasting my time - criticizing me or my advisor is not going to help me or you in any way. If you think I don't exist then stop replying my posts and go kick some rocks.
In case you are indeed a troll, this has gone far too long. In case you aren't, every bit of what lambert said is true. So technically, every bit of what he said is true.
To MisterB: I joined this forum to get some advices, track my applications and hopefully help out applicants with a similar profile as mine next year and on. It's a pity that there are people like you - those who cannot even show some human decency towards females and kept dismissing us as trolls.

I've already answered the question before and if you refuse to believe my answer then you can simply ignore me and my messages, why the insults and criticisms? Does it make you feel superior? Just because I have an inferior application profile compared to males or yours doesn't give you the justification to criticize and dismiss me, or label me as a troll. This behavior is rude and disrespectful. People like you are the reason that sexism still exist in the world.

lingmoserar

Post by lingmoserar » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:55 am

nicole2 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:23 am
lambert wrote:
nicole2 wrote:

Dude that is so rude. Believe whatever you want but stop wasting my time - criticizing me or my advisor is not going to help me or you in any way. If you think I don't exist then stop replying my posts and go kick some rocks.
In case you are indeed a troll, this has gone far too long. In case you aren't, every bit of what lambert said is true. So technically, every bit of what he said is true.
To MisterB: I joined this forum to get some advices, track my applications and hopefully help out applicants with a similar profile as mine next year and on. It's a pity that there are people like you - those who cannot even show some human decency towards females and kept dismissing us as trolls.

I've already answered the question before and if you refuse to believe my answer then you can simply ignore me and my messages, why the insults and criticisms? Does it make you feel superior? Just because I have an inferior application profile compared to males or yours doesn't give you the justification to criticize and dismiss me, or label me as a troll. This behavior is rude and disrespectful. People like you are the reason that sexism still exist in the world.
I agree that it's a lost cause criticizing nicole2's supervisor at this stage. However, I couldn't help but notice that Nicole2 tend to attribute every criticism she received to her gender. As far as it appear, they are comparing you with the pool of applicants, regardless of gender. It seems like you are subjected to disrespect here, but by no means sexism.

misterB

Post by misterB » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:18 am

nicole2 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:23 am
lambert wrote:
nicole2 wrote:

Your application is in fact stronger than what mine was after 4 years of University education. It is indeed a pity, that you cannot consciously discriminate between genuine feedback and sexist insults. I have nothing more to add. People here have been very nice to you and have provided very useful advice, its a shame you have labelled them as (sexist) trolls.

Devilbob

Post by Devilbob » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:03 am

Has anyone heard from UCSB lately? Also curious if UCSD has completed their admissions for this cycle.

Junaid456

Post by Junaid456 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:16 am

Has anyone over here had a Skype interview/informal chat with reference to their application the UC Davis Applied Math department?

Cyclicduck

Post by Cyclicduck » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:35 am

lambert wrote:
nicole2 wrote:

Trust me, you do not know what a troll is. Given the way you're acting, you're much, much more of a troll than nicole2.

misterB wrote:In case you are indeed a troll, this has gone far too long. In case you aren't, every bit of what lambert said is true. So technically, every bit of what he said is true.
And you don't understand what the purpose of a troll is. You don't tell them that they've gone for too long.
misterB wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:18 am
It is indeed a pity, that you cannot consciously discriminate between genuine feedback and sexist insults. I have nothing more to add. People here have been very nice to you and have provided very useful advice, its a shame you have labelled them as (sexist) trolls.

You're wrong in at least two ways. First, people have not been very nice to her. I've followed this entire thread and cannot find a single instance of anyone being nice to her. The overarching tone of people's responses (I'm looking at you, dujiahan and lambert :!: ) has become condescending and ridiculing. Second, she labelled nobody as a troll. These sorts of "white lies" or "honest mistakes" accumulate and constitute what's known as gaslighting. Honestly, I consider people who do that far more worthy of the label of "troll" than anyone else.

analysister

Post by analysister » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:47 am

While I agree with cyclicduck that I havent seen any kindness towards nicole2, I also think her accusations of sexism in this forum are unfounded. Claiming normal criticism is sexism makes legitimate claims of sexism easier to dismiss and should not be taken lightly.

I am also a domestic female, perhaps with a below average profile (read: mGRE score), and I have not recieved any responses here that I have seen as sexist or belittling.

I also think what Lambert said about her advisor is a very fair criticism. I'm not saying that nicole2 wouldn't succeed in the programs her advisor told her to apply to, but even my (domestic female) friends with perfect profiles applied to schools outside of that range. There is no guarantee you'll get into a program even if you are qualified.

I dont think it is good advice to tell anyone to only apply top 20, and I think realism and honesty would have been better for her from the start. I'm not saying there was malicious intent, she may just be out of touch with the process, but that was terrible advice.

misterB

Post by misterB » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:30 am

Cyclicduck wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:35 am
lambert wrote:
nicole2 wrote:

Trust me, you do not know what a troll is. Given the way you're acting, you're much, much more of a troll than nicole2.

misterB wrote:In case you are indeed a troll, this has gone far too long. In case you aren't, every bit of what lambert said is true. So technically, every bit of what he said is true.
And you don't understand what the purpose of a troll is. You don't tell them that they've gone for too long.
misterB wrote:
It is indeed a pity, that you cannot consciously discriminate between genuine feedback and sexist insults. I have nothing more to add. People here have been very nice to you and have provided very useful advice, its a shame you have labelled them as (sexist) trolls.

You're wrong in at least two ways. First, people have not been very nice to her. I've followed this entire thread and cannot find a single instance of anyone being nice to her. The overarching tone of people's responses (I'm looking at you, dujiahan and lambert :!: ) has become condescending and ridiculing. Second, she labelled nobody as a troll. These sorts of "white lies" or "honest mistakes" accumulate and constitute what's known as gaslighting. Honestly, I consider people who do that far more worthy of the label of "troll" than anyone else.
Please check out her profile evaluation thread. Also, I am not convinced entirely that nicole2 represents a real person, so Im not spending another word on this.

asterac

Post by asterac » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:51 am

analysister wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:47 am
I am also a domestic female, perhaps with a below average profile (read: mGRE score) [...]
Idk, your profile looks pretty good. Even if your background is largely applied, that part shouldn't be much of an issue if you're mainly into analysis. The info we post on here isn't the whole picture, but from what you said, it seems like the only things a school outside the very top could fault you for are the typical LAC problems: lack of grad classes and lower likelihood that adcoms know what your recommendations and grades mean. I would think those are bigger issues than your mGRE on its own, which really isn't bad. You could say that there's a higher burden of proof if you come from a LAC or lesser-known school and that scores can do more for you at that point, but I still don't feel like it's a "problem score."

Sorry if that comes off a little condescending. I just think calling yourself "below average" makes it seem like you're selling yourself short. Maybe you think that way cause you majored in applied math and are surrounded by people who are generally better at fast calculus than pure math people? :P

nicole2

Post by nicole2 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:37 am

misterB wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:30 am
Cyclicduck wrote:
lambert wrote:

misterB wrote:

Please check out her profile evaluation thread. Also, I am not convinced entirely that nicole2 represents a real person, so Im not spending another word on this.
What makes you think I need your approval? If you don't believe it, then don't. It's not like you're an admin.

People are so condescending here and don't realize that it's hurtful and also unhelpful.

Cyclicduck

Post by Cyclicduck » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:56 am

analysister wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:47 am
While I agree with cyclicduck that I havent seen any kindness towards nicole2, I also think her accusations of sexism in this forum are unfounded. Claiming normal criticism is sexism makes legitimate claims of sexism easier to dismiss and should not be taken lightly.

I am also a domestic female, perhaps with a below average profile (read: mGRE score), and I have not recieved any responses here that I have seen as sexist or belittling.

I also think what Lambert said about her advisor is a very fair criticism. I'm not saying that nicole2 wouldn't succeed in the programs her advisor told her to apply to, but even my (domestic female) friends with perfect profiles applied to schools outside of that range. There is no guarantee you'll get into a program even if you are qualified.

I dont think it is good advice to tell anyone to only apply top 20, and I think realism and honesty would have been better for her from the start. I'm not saying there was malicious intent, she may just be out of touch with the process, but that was terrible advice.
I agree with your point on sexism. However, every GRE score above 50% is above average, so.. :idea:

Regarding the advisor's advice, I think it's already clear from the results what to make of it, and people have already beat everything out of it.

Plus, my advisor told me that there were some good people at Columbia and suggested Cassels-Frohlich for CFT, so...checkmate.

dujiahan

Post by dujiahan » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:10 pm

Cyclicduck wrote:
lambert wrote:
nicole2 wrote:

misterB wrote:

I wasn't condescending, just trying to be helpful.

I'm pretty sure that you're a troll, cyclicduck. Aren't you the one who says Harvard, Princeton, MIT etc are your safeties?

Your posts got deleted multiple times by the admin.
Last edited by dujiahan on Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mani_fold

Post by mani_fold » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:33 pm

dujiahan wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:10 pm

:roll:

bark_muffalo

Post by bark_muffalo » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:46 pm

Does anyone know if CU Boulder will be sending out more acceptances for pure math? I saw about 4 or 5 on grad cafe at the very end of January, but nothing more since then.

yaskhn3

Post by yaskhn3 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:24 pm

Does anyone know when will Brown start sending out offers for Pure Math? They did it for Applied Math last week. Although I'm not sure how they shortlist people given that they don't consider mGRE

lambert

Post by lambert » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:29 pm

Cyclicduck wrote:
lambert wrote:
nicole2 wrote:

misterB wrote:

You don't get to tell me what a troll is. Also, this is rich coming from the guy who goes off randomly about arm wrestling and makes joke posts about crap like 'zonotopy type theory' and Doron Zeilberger rants on a forum where people are looking for genuine feedback and admission results. You are pretty unfunny when it comes to low-effort trolls, and any advice you're gonna throw my way is instantly thrown in the trash. Try updating your profile with your acceptances / rejections at least if you want to wag your finger about appropriate behavior in the forum.

Now people have advised and criticized nicole2's choices from the start (a thing which she asked for, creating her own thread and everything), and she dismissed any and all criticism with inane "SEXISM!!!" accusations, so I can imagine why people started to bother less seriously. Like, no one is bringing her gender into this; at worst, people have countered her initial preconception that she should be able to get into top places simply by being an (american) woman. Which is patently untrue. Anyway, since this has persisted, I don't see the need to keep wasting my time; I couldn't care less if she got rejected from every place she applied to then blamed it on the patriarchy.
Last edited by lambert on Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EricAndre

Post by EricAndre » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:33 pm

Guys Guys. I'm a potato. I'm a L I V I NG potato.

mani_fold

Post by mani_fold » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:42 pm

EricAndre wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:33 pm

Cyclicduck

Post by Cyclicduck » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:01 pm

dujiahan wrote:

I'm pretty sure that you're a troll, cyclicduck. Aren't you the one who says Harvard, Princeton, MIT etc are your safeties?

Maybe you were trying to be helpful, but it sure came out as condescending to me, and more importantly, to the person you were directing it at.

And how am I a troll? There's a difference between trolling and joking. Can't anyone take a joke anymore? And yes, the admins did delete my posts, which I don't understand; I inquired further about it and only got silence.
lambert wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:29 pm
You don't get to tell me what a troll is. Also, this is rich coming from the guy who goes off randomly about arm wrestling and makes joke posts about crap like 'zonotopy type theory' and Doron Zeilberger rants on a forum where people are looking for genuine feedback and admission results. You are pretty unfunny when it comes to low-effort trolls, and any advice you're gonna throw my way is instantly thrown in the trash. Try updating your profile with your acceptances / rejections at least if you want to wag your finger about appropriate behavior in the forum.

Now people have advised and criticized nicole2's choices from the start (a thing which she asked for, creating her own thread and everything), and she dismissed any and all criticism with inane "SEXISM!!!" accusations, so I can imagine why people started to bother less seriously. Like, no one is bringing her gender into this; at worst, people have countered her initial preconception that she should be able to get into top places simply by being an (american) woman. Which is patently untrue. Anyway, since this has persisted, I don't see the need to keep wasting my time; I couldn't care less if she got rejected from every place she applied to then blamed it on the patriarchy.

I love that you actually preemptively tell me you're going to disregard any advice I give you when I never gave you any advice and never plan to do so. And OK I updated my profile, jeez. I don't see why that's a prerequisite to calling out trolling.

First of all, armwrestling is really important to me, and second, Doron Zeilberger's philsophy and persona is a real threat to serious mathematics. So I really don't care whether you think it's funny or not. But regardless, even granting that it's all a joke, which it's not, AGAIN, there's a difference between trolling and joking which you clearly don't understand. The boomers are right; this new generation takes everything too seriously.

And - please don't stop "wasting your time" with nicole2; you clearly characterize the situation so perfectly and contribute so much to the discussion.
:D
EricAndre wrote:
Yo are you actually Eric Andre? I'm your biggest fan! (Even though you called me a troll, but for you that's probably a compliment :))

lambert

Post by lambert » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:30 pm

Cyclicduck wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:01 pm
dujiahan wrote:

Maybe you were trying to be helpful, but it sure came out as condescending to me, and more importantly, to the person you were directing it at.

And how am I a troll? There's a difference between trolling and joking. Can't anyone take a joke anymore? And yes, the admins did delete my posts, which I don't understand; I inquired further about it and only got silence.
lambert wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:29 pm

I love that you actually preemptively tell me you're going to disregard any advice I give you when I never gave you any advice and never plan to do so. And OK I updated my profile, jeez. I don't see why that's a prerequisite to calling out trolling.

First of all, armwrestling is really important to me, and second, Doron Zeilberger's philsophy and persona is a real threat to serious mathematics. So I really don't care whether you think it's funny or not. But regardless, even granting that it's all a joke, which it's not, AGAIN, there's a difference between trolling and joking which you clearly don't understand. The boomers are right; this new generation takes everything too seriously.

And - please don't stop "wasting your time" with nicole2; you clearly characterize the situation so perfectly and contribute so much to the discussion.
:D
EricAndre wrote:
Yo are you actually Eric Andre? I'm your biggest fan! (Even though you called me a troll, but for you that's probably a compliment :))
Oh good, didn't expect you to actually listen. It wasn't a prerequisite, but it might help people a little that you are (?) an actual applicant and not someone who signed up just to crack a joke. Now you should update your profile with the place you're going to, so that people know to avoid having you as an obnoxious colleague.

Anyway, carry on o valiant hero of mathematics, in your quest against the evil Doron ... an uh, very relevant and threatening figure in the modern world of mathematics. You clearly have some idea of what you're talking about. As a psa, joking alone does not make you a troll; being a joke poster does, and by now it's painfully clear you are in the latter category. Got to say though, claiming you will never 'advise' me on anything in the same post that you do - even sarcastically - coupled with your previous attempts at tone policing is the funniest thing you've done so far. You were fed enough attention for now methinks.

Cyclicduck

Post by Cyclicduck » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:03 pm

lambert wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:30 pm
Oh good, didn't expect you to actually listen. It wasn't a prerequisite, but it might help people a little that you are (?) an actual applicant and not someone who signed up just to crack a joke. Now you should update your profile with the place you're going to, so that people know to avoid having you as an obnoxious colleague.

Anyway, carry on o valiant hero of mathematics, in your quest against the evil Doron ... an uh, very relevant and threatening figure in the modern world of mathematics. You clearly have some idea of what you're talking about. As a psa, joking alone does not make you a troll; being a joke poster does, and by now it's painfully clear you are in the latter category. Got to say though, claiming you will never 'advise' me on anything in the same post that you do - even sarcastically - coupled with your previous attempts at tone policing is the funniest thing you've done so far. You were fed enough attention for now methinks.
I haven't decided yet...need to visit them first. So for now you should avoid all of them if you dislike me so much, unless you're already in grad school? (May I inquire that of you? If you're in one of those three, I'll make sure not to go there so as not to offend you with my presence...)

And I can't tell what in that second paragraph is meant to be sarcastic and what's not (forgive me for daring to give you advice, but I humbly recommend that you make clear which parts of your post are meant to be sarcastic as it is hard to tell on the Internet, maybe with a smiley?), so I will just respond to all of them as if they were written in good faith.

Thank you for wishing me well in my quest against Doron. He may not be a threat to mathematics taken globally, but he is relevant. Indeed, I visited Rutgers and heard him talk, and I saw some prospective grad students he was seducing...he is really creating a school around his thought, and many promising young mathematicians will have their careers oriented in a terrible direction because of him. He teaches his students to look down on proofs and the great results, theory, and ideas of modern mathematics, instead giving them the illusion of depth through massive computing power directed at inane problems.

I am thoroughly confused by your distinction between joking and being a joke poster, and why you call me a joke poster. The posts I have made in this forum have all been in good faith; there were just a couple of them in which I made some jokes which were harmless to begin with. Maybe this is a touchy subject, but I think making such jokes is much less troll-worthy than, say, beating a dead horse by simultaneously calling nicole2 a troll and blaming her advisor.

And I am also thoroughly confused by your claim that I advised you...if you're referring to the last sentence of my last post (not the Eric Andre part), I included a smiley :D to make sure my sarcasm was clear. To spell it out, I was making a statement that you weren't helping the situation, not advising that you should actually spend more time on it.

I also don't see what's funny about my attempts at tone policing. While being funny is great, it is more important to take me seriously on this matter. I believe the tone from you and others has gotten out of hand wrt nicole2's situation.

chrisps1992

Post by chrisps1992 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:17 pm

Oregon sent out their admits/rejects 😖

bark_muffalo

Post by bark_muffalo » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:22 pm

chrisps1992 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:17 pm
Are you in the rejection boat with me?

NotMyRealName

Post by NotMyRealName » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:26 pm

Was really hanging my hat on Oregon. Nice place to live, good program, sounds like they were much more competitive than usual this year.

bark_muffalo

Post by bark_muffalo » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:31 pm

NotMyRealName wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:26 pm
Was really hanging my hat on Oregon. Nice place to live, good program, sounds like they were much more competitive than usual this year.
Yeah, my rejection email mentioned "an unusually large number of highly qualified applications" and "a very limited number of positions available," which tracks with what some folks on this site with some personal connections to UO faculty mentioned last week. I've asked the grad. coordinator if she could give me a rough sense of just how unusual the situation was for them this year to see whether or not this is boilerplate language.

Even if they really did receive way more applicants than usual for fewer spots than usual, it still hurts. 0/1 so far...
Last edited by bark_muffalo on Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrisps1992

Post by chrisps1992 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:32 pm

bark_muffalo wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:22 pm
chrisps1992 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:17 pm
Are you in the rejection boat with me?
They admitted me...to the reject list

Otter320

Post by Otter320 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:34 pm

Has anyone heard from Cornell CAM? I ask this because I know a person got waitlisted from them.