Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
CoronalRain

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by CoronalRain » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:38 pm

bark_muffalo wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:31 pm
NotMyRealName wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:26 pm
Was really hanging my hat on Oregon. Nice place to live, good program, sounds like they were much more competitive than usual this year.
Yeah, my rejection email mentioned "an unusually large number of highly qualified applications" and "a very limited number of positions available," which tracks with what some folks on this site with some personal connections to UO faculty mentioned last week. I've asked the grad. coordinator if she could give me a rough sense of just how unusual the situation was for them this year to see whether or not this is boilerplate language.

Even if they really did receive way more applicants than usual for fewer spots than usual, it still hurts. 0/1 so far...
That is indeed the sort of boilerplate response that most universities use for rejections. BUT that does not mean it is untrue. All universities have to reject qualified applicants due to size/funding limits. And it sounds like Oregon was stretched even thinner than usual this year.

EricAndre

Post by EricAndre » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:56 pm

I love your guys energy.

bark_muffalo

Post by bark_muffalo » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:09 pm

EricAndre wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:56 pm
I love your guys energy.
Which guys?

Also, I watched your Alex Jones interview recently. Top notch!

bark_muffalo

Post by bark_muffalo » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:15 pm

FWIW, I just heard back from the grad coordinator. They confirmed what an earlier poster had mentioned: they had a big entering class last year (15+) and so are aiming for 10 students in this cohort. They received 200+ applications.

Devilbob

Post by Devilbob » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:10 pm

Asked this yesterday, but it got a bit buried. Anyone know what's going on with UCSD or UCSB?

Junaid456

Post by Junaid456 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:20 pm

Devilbob wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:10 pm
Asked this yesterday, but it got a bit buried. Anyone know what's going on with UCSD or UCSB?
Same here. Any update for PhD in Math with Stats concentration at UCSD?

kansas_math

Post by kansas_math » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:25 pm

RIP to Cornell... so far it's only been my reach schools that have gotten back to me (with the expected rejections), feels bad! praying the rest of this week will bring good news, not trying to go to my home school for PhD :oops:

Lisztrachmaninovfan

Post by Lisztrachmaninovfan » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:43 pm

Otter320 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:34 pm
Has anyone heard from Cornell CAM? I ask this because I know a person got waitlisted from them.
If it means anything, I just got rejected by them an hour and a half ago. Lol

jungleshrimp

Post by jungleshrimp » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:56 pm

I see like 5 rejections to Purdue but no acceptances. Anyone hear back from Purdue today?

yaskhn3

Post by yaskhn3 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:05 pm

Anyone heard back from Maryland/ Brown yet?

ahhhhmeh

Post by ahhhhmeh » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:44 pm

EricAndre wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:33 pm
Guys Guys. I'm a potato. I'm a L I V I NG potato.
You and me both buddy.

ahhhhmeh

Post by ahhhhmeh » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:50 pm

Anyone heard from NYU Courant? I saw a couple of offers on gradcafe but when I emailed them about my status they said they are reviewing and haven’t made a decision yet. I don’t see why they’d not just tell me if I’ve been rejected.

jamest03

Post by jamest03 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:53 pm

ahhhhmeh wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:50 pm
Anyone heard from NYU Courant? I saw a couple of offers on gradcafe but when I emailed them about my status they said they are reviewing and haven’t made a decision yet. I don’t see why they’d not just tell me if I’ve been rejected.
Same spot. I am 100% sure if we haven't got an offer yet, it will be a rejection.

jamest03

Post by jamest03 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:54 pm

ahhhhmeh wrote:
are you pure math or applied math or atmospheric sciences tho?

ahhhhmeh

Post by ahhhhmeh » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:59 pm

jamest03 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:54 pm
ahhhhmeh wrote:
Pure math. But if they plan on rejecting someone, why not just tell them?! Other schools are very forthcoming about this. I actually don’t have a shot but I want closure.

JK10

Post by JK10 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:17 am

The JOHN HOPKINS waitlist is like my final straw. I am literally begging you guys if you are admitted and have a better choice. orz (just an emoji of kneeling down and begging)

asterac

Post by asterac » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:04 am

So obviously things work differently in different places, but the whole “haven’t heard yet when there have been lots of results released => rejection” thing isn’t true everywhere. The admin assistant at my uni said that she sent a batch of well over 100 rejections today and has been releasing acceptances for a while but that there are still several applications in review.

In case this is interesting to anyone else, she also said that sometimes the reason results get sent on different days is purely just because the tasks of rejection and acceptance are different sizes for her, and she’s got to tessellate them with other stuff she manages for the department.

Makes things seem a little less mysterious to me. It’s not all about when decisions get made.
Last edited by asterac on Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

ellen_klly2020

Post by ellen_klly2020 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:14 am

lambert wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:29 pm
Cyclicduck wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:35 am
lambert wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:05 am

Honestly, on the off-chance you are not a troll, you should blame your advisor at least partially for this. I have no idea what they were thinking by telling you to apply to every top place simply riding on the virtue of being a domestic female, with a math background that's nowhere near the level of people getting into these programs. They should be held responsible for the poor school choices that led to this mess of being demotivated by constant rejections and making last-minute applications to random schools.

Trust me, you do not know what a troll is. Given the way you're acting, you're much, much more of a troll than nicole2.

misterB wrote:In case you are indeed a troll, this has gone far too long. In case you aren't, every bit of what lambert said is true. So technically, every bit of what he said is true.
And you don't understand what the purpose of a troll is. You don't tell them that they've gone for too long.
misterB wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:18 am
It is indeed a pity, that you cannot consciously discriminate between genuine feedback and sexist insults. I have nothing more to add. People here have been very nice to you and have provided very useful advice, its a shame you have labelled them as (sexist) trolls.

You're wrong in at least two ways. First, people have not been very nice to her. I've followed this entire thread and cannot find a single instance of anyone being nice to her. The overarching tone of people's responses (I'm looking at you, dujiahan and lambert :!: ) has become condescending and ridiculing. Second, she labelled nobody as a troll. These sorts of "white lies" or "honest mistakes" accumulate and constitute what's known as gaslighting. Honestly, I consider people who do that far more worthy of the label of "troll" than anyone else.
You don't get to tell me what a troll is. Also, this is rich coming from the guy who goes off randomly about arm wrestling and makes joke posts about crap like 'zonotopy type theory' and Doron Zeilberger rants on a forum where people are looking for genuine feedback and admission results. You are pretty unfunny when it comes to low-effort trolls, and any advice you're gonna throw my way is instantly thrown in the trash. Try updating your profile with your acceptances / rejections at least if you want to wag your finger about appropriate behavior in the forum.

Now people have advised and criticized nicole2's choices from the start (a thing which she asked for, creating her own thread and everything), and she dismissed any and all criticism with inane "SEXISM!!!" accusations, so I can imagine why people started to bother less seriously. Like, no one is bringing her gender into this; at worst, people have countered her initial preconception that she should be able to get into top places simply by being an (american) woman. Which is patently untrue. Anyway, since this has persisted, I don't see the need to keep wasting my time; I couldn't care less if she got rejected from every place she applied to then blamed it on the patriarchy.
LMAO, lambert I followed your posts and you’ve been lurking on here since 2018? Seriously have you nothing better to do than pick petty arguments with people on a math forum? If this is how you choose to spend you time, then I pity you. You clearly have you head so far up your own ass that you can’t tell what a joke is. Furthermore, you gaslighting nicole by saying you weren’t being mean is shameful. All of your posts have been pretty negative and rude. Seriously dude, who hurt you? Are you really so insecure that you feel like you have to be condescending and bring people down instead of actually trying to be helpful? If this is the kind of legacy you want to leave behind then that sucks for you. Get a life.

@Cyclicduck keep being hilarious. I for one got your jokes.

@nicole2, keep you head up. I’m rooting for you girl!!

nicole2

Post by nicole2 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:42 am

ellen_klly2020 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:14 am
lambert wrote:
Cyclicduck wrote:

Trust me, you do not know what a troll is. Given the way you're acting, you're much, much more of a troll than nicole2.

And you don't understand what the purpose of a troll is. You don't tell them that they've gone for too long.

You're wrong in at least two ways. First, people have not been very nice to her. I've followed this entire thread and cannot find a single instance of anyone being nice to her. The overarching tone of people's responses (I'm looking at you, dujiahan and lambert :!: ) has become condescending and ridiculing. Second, she labelled nobody as a troll. These sorts of "white lies" or "honest mistakes" accumulate and constitute what's known as gaslighting. Honestly, I consider people who do that far more worthy of the label of "troll" than anyone else.
You don't get to tell me what a troll is. Also, this is rich coming from the guy who goes off randomly about arm wrestling and makes joke posts about crap like 'zonotopy type theory' and Doron Zeilberger rants on a forum where people are looking for genuine feedback and admission results. You are pretty unfunny when it comes to low-effort trolls, and any advice you're gonna throw my way is instantly thrown in the trash. Try updating your profile with your acceptances / rejections at least if you want to wag your finger about appropriate behavior in the forum.

Now people have advised and criticized nicole2's choices from the start (a thing which she asked for, creating her own thread and everything), and she dismissed any and all criticism with inane "SEXISM!!!" accusations, so I can imagine why people started to bother less seriously. Like, no one is bringing her gender into this; at worst, people have countered her initial preconception that she should be able to get into top places simply by being an (american) woman. Which is patently untrue. Anyway, since this has persisted, I don't see the need to keep wasting my time; I couldn't care less if she got rejected from every place she applied to then blamed it on the patriarchy.
LMAO, lambert I followed your posts and you’ve been lurking on here since 2018? Seriously have you nothing better to do than pick petty arguments with people on a math forum? If this is how you choose to spend you time, then I pity you. You clearly have you head so far up your own ass that you can’t tell what a joke is. Furthermore, you gaslighting nicole by saying you weren’t being mean is shameful. All of your posts have been pretty negative and rude. Seriously dude, who hurt you? Are you really so insecure that you feel like you have to be condescending and bring people down instead of actually trying to be helpful? If this is the kind of legacy you want to leave behind then that sucks for you. Get a life.

Sigh.

One of the graduate coordinator I spoke to when I inquired about my app status -
he changed his tone from nice and friendly to condescending and annoyed, after I told him my name.

ahhhhmeh

Post by ahhhhmeh » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:51 am

asterac wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:04 am
So obviously things work differently in different places, but the whole “haven’t heard yet when there have been lots of results released => rejection” thing isn’t true everywhere. The admin assistant at my uni said that she sent a batch of well over 100 rejections today and has been releasing acceptances for a while but that there are still several applications in review.

In case this is interesting to anyone else, she also said that sometimes the reason results get sent on different days is purely just because the tasks of rejection and acceptance are different sizes for her, and she’s got to tessellate them with other stuff she manages for the department.

Makes things seem a little less mysterious to me. It’s not all about when decisions get made.
Thanks.

misterB

Post by misterB » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:53 am

Lulz. Not cool being a sexist but totally cool being a racist.

@nicole2

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13GOFut ... p=drivesdk

utkarsh1729

Post by utkarsh1729 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:57 am

Daaaamn!

nicole2

Post by nicole2 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:58 am

misterB wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:53 am

@nicole2

LOL I know how to edit html and then make a screenshot too.

Fake news.

misterB

Post by misterB » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:00 am

nicole2 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:58 am
misterB wrote:

@nicole2

Fake news.

Yeah please go ahead and make one XD

nicole2

Post by nicole2 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:01 am

misterB wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:00 am
nicole2 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:58 am
misterB wrote:

@nicole2

Fake news.

Yeah please go ahead and make one XD
I don't have time to waste on rude and condescending people like you, go get lost, Jnanajyoti Bhaumik (now I know your real name thanks to google drive)
Last edited by nicole2 on Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

utkarsh1729

Post by utkarsh1729 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:02 am

That pretentious "LOL" before your fakeass excuse made your case fairly strong.
I guess misterB must be following your text patterns.

nicole2

Post by nicole2 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:04 am

utkarsh1729 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:02 am
LOL you boys can change the subject however you want - doesn't change the fact you were rude to me and were condescending.

utkarsh1729

Post by utkarsh1729 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:07 am

xD Oh man

misterB

Post by misterB » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:08 am

Are we still going to pretend this is a real profile?

nicole2

Post by nicole2 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:12 am

I have contacted the moderator before about how rude people label me as a troll, and thus have offered him to verify I am indeed real.

If you want to find out so bad, go ask him.

joriandres

Post by joriandres » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:13 am

please stop

nicole2

Post by nicole2 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:19 am

Applying to school is stressful enough, this endless condescending conversations and hostility is making me even more stressful.

Maybe it is a mistake joining this forum. How do I delete the account?

Edit: I do want to thank the people that were nice to me though. Thanks for your support among all the haters. I know there're definitely some people on this forum (and in real life) that would celebrate if I get in nowhere and not succeed. But, I do thank you for your advice - if it mean anything.

dujiahan

Post by dujiahan » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:03 am

nicole2 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:19 am
Applying to school is stressful enough, this endless condescending conversations and hostility is making me even more stressful.

Edit: I do want to thank the people that were nice to me though. Thanks for your support among all the haters. I know there're definitely some people on this forum (and in real life) that would celebrate if I get in nowhere and not succeed. But, I do thank you for your advice - if it mean anything.
I think I'm a pretty nice guy... :D :D

Sorry for other people's harsh comments. :? :?

juris

Post by juris » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:13 am

ahhhhmeh wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:59 pm
jamest03 wrote:
ahhhhmeh wrote:
Pure math. But if they plan on rejecting someone, why not just tell them?! Other schools are very forthcoming about this. I actually don’t have a shot but I want closure.
I’m also waiting for the NYU rejection. Really love the school and have put a lot of effort in making the application video. It felt like a dream broken. BTW, if you want closure you can take your limit points with you (just trying to light you up)

ahhhhmeh

Post by ahhhhmeh » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:02 am

juris wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:13 am
ahhhhmeh wrote:
jamest03 wrote:

I’m also waiting for the NYU rejection. Really love the school and have put a lot of effort in making the application video. It felt like a dream broken. BTW, if you want closure you can take your limit points with you (just trying to light you up)
Haha, good one. I didn’t make a video, I’m very awkward in front of cameras and submitting a video could only hurt my chances lol self burn

Cyclicduck

Post by Cyclicduck » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:29 am

ellen_klly2020 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:14 am
lambert wrote:
Cyclicduck wrote:

Thanks! And yeah, now that got me curious too. What have you been doing all this time lambert? Are you in grad school already? You asked me to post additional information about myself (which I did) but we know nothing about you...

mishania1996

Post by mishania1996 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:11 am

juris wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:13 am
ahhhhmeh wrote:
... if they plan on rejecting someone, why not just tell them?! Other schools are very forthcoming about this. I actually don’t have a shot but I want closure.
... if you want closure you can take your limit points with you...
I would be so happy to ban the user for this joke.

EricAndre

Post by EricAndre » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:08 am

bark_muffalo wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:15 pm
FWIW, I just heard back from the grad coordinator. They confirmed what an earlier poster had mentioned: they had a big entering class last year (15+) and so are aiming for 10 students in this cohort. They received 200+ applications.

200+ applications? I didn't think schools like UOregon received that many applications.

ellen_klly2020

Post by ellen_klly2020 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:21 am

nicole2 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:19 am

It’s seriously not worth it to respond to people here. If they are being mean to you it says way more about who they are as people than it says about you. Think about how much time Jnanajyoti Bhaumik put into making that fake screenshot (news flash misterB: none of us even knew you were indian before this). He could have spent his time doing anything else and yet his pathetic ass chose to bully, harass, gaslight and LIE about a girl on a forum. Nicole, clearly these guys are extremely insecure and have too much time on their hands, but you keep up that 4.0 GPA and keep doing great things. Their ugly personalities will catch up to them.

ellen_klly2020

Post by ellen_klly2020 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:29 am

nicole2 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:04 am
utkarsh1729 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:02 am
LOL you boys can change the subject however you want - doesn't change the fact you were rude to me and were condescending.
Also funny misterB seems to have deleted his posts after you called out his real name. Just goes to show you all these people are lurking behind fake names and using their anonymity to spread hate. But in “real life” they would never say these things! It’s pathetic that they have nothing better to do than use their time to bully people online. But then when they get caught they don’t even own up to what they said.

bark_muffalo

Post by bark_muffalo » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:47 am

EricAndre wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:08 am
bark_muffalo wrote:

200+ applications? I didn't think schools like UOregon received that many applications.
Yeah, I was pretty surprised myself. But the grad coordinator (who is a very nice btw) said that they got 200+ this year and 200+ last year as well.

EricAndre

Post by EricAndre » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:51 am

bark_muffalo wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:47 am
EricAndre wrote:
bark_muffalo wrote:

Yeah, I was pretty surprised myself. But the grad coordinator (who is a very nice btw) said that they got 200+ this year and 200+ last year as well.

That would mean we only see less than 11% of the applicants since gradcafe total maybe posts arround 10-20 uOregon 2019 posts along with this site.

bark_muffalo

Post by bark_muffalo » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:59 am

EricAndre wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:51 am
bark_muffalo wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:47 am
EricAndre wrote:

That would mean we only see less than 11% of the applicants since gradcafe total maybe posts arround 10-20 uOregon 2019 posts along with this site.
Yes, and that sounds about right to me. The number of people who post their results on this site is maybe half the number of people who actually visit (e.g., I check this site a lot (too much) and even post in this thread, but I haven't posted my profile/results yet). The number of people who check this site at all is probably just a fraction of the number of people who apply.

Integreat

Post by Integreat » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:57 pm

Got unofficially accepted to UT Austin!! Super excited, it's one of my top choices :)

CoronalRain

Post by CoronalRain » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:44 pm

This drama is great for distracting myself from the fact that I have zero acceptances so far. Please continue?

dujiahan

Post by dujiahan » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:52 pm

CoronalRain wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:44 pm
This drama is great for distracting myself from the fact that I have zero acceptances so far. Please continue?
I checked your posts.

Didn't you get into Purdue last year?

Why are you applying this year???

And why did you say that you have zero acceptances.

Are you a troll? :x

EricAndre

Post by EricAndre » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:12 pm

dujiahan wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:52 pm
CoronalRain wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:44 pm
I checked your posts.

Didn't you get into Purdue last year?

Why are you applying this year???

And why did you say that you have zero acceptances.

Are you a troll? :x
Maybe he just wanted to make a political statement.

CoronalRain

Post by CoronalRain » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:22 pm

Man, you guys are really uptight about trolls. Relax. I couldn’t attend last year for personal reasons, so I had to decline my offers that cycle. No need to rage out. I’ll delete my old profile so as not to confuse anyone else who lacks the ability to imagine unorthodox situations like mine.

yaskhn3

Post by yaskhn3 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:23 pm

Rejection from Brown

EricAndre

Post by EricAndre » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:28 pm

CoronalRain wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:22 pm
Man, you guys are really uptight about trolls. Relax. I couldn’t attend last year for personal reasons, so I had to decline my offers that cycle. No need to rage out. I’ll delete my old profile so as not to confuse anyone else who lacks the ability to imagine unorthodox situations like mine.
I'm surprised that NC State waitlisted you on that admission cycle. I'm waitlisted there also after emailing the DGS, it seemed like a safety.