Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
CoronalRain

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by CoronalRain » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:31 pm

EricAndre wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:28 pm
CoronalRain wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:22 pm
Man, you guys are really uptight about trolls. Relax. I couldn’t attend last year for personal reasons, so I had to decline my offers that cycle. No need to rage out. I’ll delete my old profile so as not to confuse anyone else who lacks the ability to imagine unorthodox situations like mine.
I'm surprised that NC State waitlisted you on that admission cycle. I'm waitlisted there also after emailing the DGS, it seemed like a safety.
Yeah, it felt like a safety for me too, so I was equally surprised about the waitlist decision. The only explanation I could come up with was that my SOP was lackluster because I didn’t put much effort into my safety applications. But who knows, it could have been any number of things.

CoronalRain

Post by CoronalRain » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:37 pm

Just got accepted to UCSB. I hope everyone else gets some good news soon too. Thanks for all your support, guys.

EricAndre

Post by EricAndre » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:38 pm

CoronalRain wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:37 pm
Just got accepted to UCSB. I hope everyone else gets some good news soon too. Thanks for all your support, guys.
Enjoy San Andreas.

analysister

Post by analysister » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:43 pm

CoronalRain wrote:
Did your acceptance have any mention of funding?

Edit: They followed up a bit later.
Last edited by analysister on Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

squigma

Post by squigma » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:45 pm

Got rejected from my saftey and now am starting to stress out. BTW. anyone who applied to Stevens they sent out some results.

CoronalRain

Post by CoronalRain » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:51 pm

analysister wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:43 pm
CoronalRain wrote:
Hmm, strange. No mention of funding from UCSB. I suppose I’ll send them an email to inquire.

Are other people who were accepted to UCSB in a similar position?

Update: Funding offer just came through! The acceptance email was from the graduate school, and the funding offer was from the math dept, so there was a slight delay.
Last edited by CoronalRain on Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cyclicduck

Post by Cyclicduck » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:53 pm

CoronalRain wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:44 pm
This drama is great for distracting myself from the fact that I have zero acceptances so far. Please continue?
CoronalRain wrote:
Does this mean you no longer wish for drama?
I guess if they don't give you funding you'll need more. Why did all the trolls go silent?

Anyway, in one of my acceptances I received the following inspiring quote:
"I am a dark rock surged upon, and overswept, but through it all, I remain myself. When covered by the waters, I am; and the ebb but reveals me again." Zora Neale Hurston

But I don't know what it means.

CoronalRain

Post by CoronalRain » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:02 pm

Cyclicduck wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:53 pm
CoronalRain wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:44 pm
This drama is great for distracting myself from the fact that I have zero acceptances so far. Please continue?
CoronalRain wrote:
Does this mean you no longer wish for drama?
I guess if they don't give you funding you'll need more. Why did all the trolls go silent?

Anyway, in one of my acceptances I received the following inspiring quote:
"I am a dark rock surged upon, and overswept, but through it all, I remain myself. When covered by the waters, I am; and the ebb but reveals me again." Zora Neale Hurston

But I don't know what it means.
I hereby proclaim an end to all drama, from now until the beginning of the next admissions cycle. This proclamation is contingent upon my receiving funding from UCSB; if such events do not transpire, then I curse this forum to be perpetually inundated with a deluge of petty drama for all eternity.

That’s a beautiful quote. Mind if I ask which school sent it?

bark_muffalo

Post by bark_muffalo » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:04 pm

Agreed, that's a great line. Comforting after my second gut punch of a rejection.

lambert

Post by lambert » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:15 pm

ellen_klly2020 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:14 am
lambert wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:29 pm
Cyclicduck wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:35 am

Trust me, you do not know what a troll is. Given the way you're acting, you're much, much more of a troll than nicole2.

And you don't understand what the purpose of a troll is. You don't tell them that they've gone for too long.

You're wrong in at least two ways. First, people have not been very nice to her. I've followed this entire thread and cannot find a single instance of anyone being nice to her. The overarching tone of people's responses (I'm looking at you, dujiahan and lambert :!: ) has become condescending and ridiculing. Second, she labelled nobody as a troll. These sorts of "white lies" or "honest mistakes" accumulate and constitute what's known as gaslighting. Honestly, I consider people who do that far more worthy of the label of "troll" than anyone else.
You don't get to tell me what a troll is. Also, this is rich coming from the guy who goes off randomly about arm wrestling and makes joke posts about crap like 'zonotopy type theory' and Doron Zeilberger rants on a forum where people are looking for genuine feedback and admission results. You are pretty unfunny when it comes to low-effort trolls, and any advice you're gonna throw my way is instantly thrown in the trash. Try updating your profile with your acceptances / rejections at least if you want to wag your finger about appropriate behavior in the forum.

Now people have advised and criticized nicole2's choices from the start (a thing which she asked for, creating her own thread and everything), and she dismissed any and all criticism with inane "SEXISM!!!" accusations, so I can imagine why people started to bother less seriously. Like, no one is bringing her gender into this; at worst, people have countered her initial preconception that she should be able to get into top places simply by being an (american) woman. Which is patently untrue. Anyway, since this has persisted, I don't see the need to keep wasting my time; I couldn't care less if she got rejected from every place she applied to then blamed it on the patriarchy.
LMAO, lambert I followed your posts and you’ve been lurking on here since 2018? Seriously have you nothing better to do than pick petty arguments with people on a math forum? If this is how you choose to spend you time, then I pity you. You clearly have you head so far up your own ass that you can’t tell what a joke is. Furthermore, you gaslighting nicole by saying you weren’t being mean is shameful. All of your posts have been pretty negative and rude. Seriously dude, who hurt you? Are you really so insecure that you feel like you have to be condescending and bring people down instead of actually trying to be helpful? If this is the kind of legacy you want to leave behind then that sucks for you. Get a life.

@Cyclicduck keep being hilarious. I for one got your jokes.

@nicole2, keep you head up. I’m rooting for you girl!!
Oh no, the moral judgment police is out here pointing fingers. Thanks for your concern, I sadly do not give a single solitary **** about your opinion on anything. Read the last line of your response to me and follow your own advice.

I also do not remember saying that I was *not* being mean to nicole2. I don't have any obligation to sugarcoat things or keep feeding people's egos when it doesn't match up with reality. I'd rather come across as a **** than sell false hope. If you don't like petty fights, maybe don't start them.

Lastly, there's a difference between an unfunny joke and a funny one, which seems to be lost on you and the anti-doron guy. Are you not able to read my posts? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt though, reading doesn't seem to be your strong suit.
Last edited by lambert on Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AugmentedSeventh

Post by AugmentedSeventh » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:19 pm

CoronalRain wrote:
Congrats!

asterac

Post by asterac » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:28 pm

CoronalRain wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:51 pm
analysister wrote:
CoronalRain wrote:
Hmm, strange. No mention of funding from UCSB. I suppose I’ll send them an email to inquire.

I didn't apply to UCSB, but I was accepted to UCD on 1/29 and still haven't received my official letter or funding details. The UC endowments took a pretty serious hit during the Great Recession and haven't fully recovered, so I just figured Davis would take longer than the private schools on my list to work out financial matters. If I'm right, it might be the same issue with UCSB. Davis gave me some travel expenses for their visit weekend, so I'm definitely in, but it was also kinda last minute and with way less coverage for flights than the other schools I've heard from. That gives me some minor validation for the idea that the approval of funding from the university lags behind the department's actions.

It could also be some other kind of administrative drag, but even in that case, there could be something common to the UC processes? Idk

CoronalRain

Post by CoronalRain » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:37 pm

asterac wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:28 pm
CoronalRain wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:51 pm
analysister wrote:

I didn't apply to UCSB, but I was accepted to UCD on 1/29 and still haven't received my official letter or funding details. The UC endowments took a pretty serious hit during the Great Recession and haven't fully recovered, so I just figured Davis would take longer than the private schools on my list to work out financial matters. If I'm right, it might be the same issue with UCSB. Davis gave me some travel expenses for their visit weekend, so I'm definitely in, but it was also kinda last minute and with way less coverage for flights than the other schools I've heard from. That gives me some minor validation for the idea that the approval of funding from the university lags behind the department's actions.

It could also be some other kind of administrative drag, but even in that case, there could be something common to the UC processes? Idk
Thanks for the insight! I actually just updated my post - it was administrative drag after all. The official admissions offer came from the graduate school, and the funding offer came from the math department like 30 minutes later.

I hope UCD gets back to you soon! I doubt they would accept you if they weren’t prepared to fund you, so I wouldn’t worry about it.

joriandres

Post by joriandres » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:38 pm

squigma wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:45 pm
Got rejected from my saftey and now am starting to stress out. BTW. anyone who applied to Stevens they sent out some results.
are you asking or telling that Stevens sent results?

mani_fold

Post by mani_fold » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:46 pm

asterac wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:28 pm

I got my funding information from UCSD immediately in my official offer letter. However, despite that, they indicated that they would only give partial funding for travel expenses to the visit weekend and haven't followed up with details. So it's unclear whether it's an issue for all of the UC programs.

mani_fold

Post by mani_fold » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:57 pm

Also, I just declined offers from Texas A&M and UNC Chapel Hill-- good luck to everyone on the waitlist.

bernardo

Post by bernardo » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:11 pm

Integreat wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:57 pm
Got unofficially accepted to UT Austin!! Super excited, it's one of my top choices :)
Did you email the department to ask or how did you find out

Junaid456

Post by Junaid456 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:14 pm

Has anyone been invited to the visit day at UC Davis which is apparently on Feb 20 and 21 for both pure math and applied math. Apparently, I got in the applied Math program on 1/28 (funding details forthcoming) but was told they can’t fly me out/pay for the visit day lol

Integreat

Post by Integreat » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:31 pm

bernardo wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:11 pm
Integreat wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:57 pm
Got unofficially accepted to UT Austin!! Super excited, it's one of my top choices :)
Did you email the department to ask or how did you find out
I've been talking to a professor there. I asked him if he heard any news (he told me they read all the analysis apps a while ago), and expressed my interest. He forwarded the email to the grad advisor, who told me: "Our reviewers were impressed with your file and think you would be a good fit. You are in the pool of candidates we are seriously considering for an offer."
My advisor has also been talking to the same professor, and told me that I'd basically get in.

Cyclicduck

Post by Cyclicduck » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:57 pm

CoronalRain wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:02 pm

I hereby proclaim an end to all drama, from now until the beginning of the next admissions cycle. This proclamation is contingent upon my receiving funding from UCSB; if such events do not transpire, then I curse this forum to be perpetually inundated with a deluge of petty drama for all eternity.

That’s a beautiful quote. Mind if I ask which school sent it?
It's from Yale. I mean, it was in a signature, but still. Also such proclamations do not seem to be very effective...
lambert wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:15 pm
ellen_klly2020 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:14 am
LMAO, lambert I followed your posts and you’ve been lurking on here since 2018? Seriously have you nothing better to do than pick petty arguments with people on a math forum? If this is how you choose to spend you time, then I pity you. You clearly have you head so far up your own ass that you can’t tell what a joke is. Furthermore, you gaslighting nicole by saying you weren’t being mean is shameful. All of your posts have been pretty negative and rude. Seriously dude, who hurt you? Are you really so insecure that you feel like you have to be condescending and bring people down instead of actually trying to be helpful? If this is the kind of legacy you want to leave behind then that sucks for you. Get a life.

@Cyclicduck keep being hilarious. I for one got your jokes.

@nicole2, keep you head up. I’m rooting for you girl!!
Oh no, the moral judgment police is out here pointing fingers. Thanks for your concern, I sadly do not give a single solitary **** about your opinion on anything. Read the last line of your response to me and follow your own advice.

I also do not remember saying that I was *not* being mean to nicole2. I don't have any obligation to sugarcoat things or keep feeding people's egos when it doesn't match up with reality. I'd rather come across as a **** than sell false hope. If you don't like petty fights, maybe don't start them.

Lastly, there's a difference between an unfunny joke and a funny one, which seems to be lost on you and the anti-doron guy. Are you not able to read my posts? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt though, reading doesn't seem to be your strong suit.

Pretty funny how you say you don't give a single solitary **** about her opinion on anything then feel the need to defend yourself with inane personal attacks. Also, now you're telling her to get a life? To spell it out for you, this forum is for applicants each year to discuss and let out some steam. We belong here. But why have you been here giving the same generic responses since 2017?

Trust me, we all know you were mean to nicole2. And nobody's asking you to feed people's egos or sell false hope. But if you "couldn't care less if she got rejected from every place she applied to then blamed it on the patriarchy", as you so eloquently said earlier, you don't just come across as a ****, you are a ****. And you really blame others on starting fights when you make posts like that. Good riddance.

But whatever my opinion of you, I would not stoop so low to question your reading comprehension ability. I don't know why you do. So you think I don't know there's a difference between unfunny and funny jokes. Actually I did already know that; I just didn't know that your sense of humor is the official authority for which jokes are allowed to be made. I'll make sure to consult you every time I think of making a joke to ensure that your sensibilities aren't offended by a joke you deem to be unfunny.

Crosscap4

Post by Crosscap4 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:19 pm

First off, chill out. I am a current graduate student in math, and it's going to be ok. There is no reason for vitriol on this message board. Everyone is going through a stressful time, so do your best to support each other and get through the stress together. No one needs any additional bullshit to worry about. To address the questions of many students here: no program has (necessarily) sent out all of its acceptances. Everything is contingent on whether accepted students accept their offers. Unfortunately, there is no incentive to reply before April 15th. If you do know for sure that you won't attend a certain school, think about all those other students who are stressed out by the uncertainty and kindly let the school know you will not be accepting their offer. If you have heard nothing from a school, it never hurts and can even help your standing to send a polite e-mail inquiring about your status and even tactfully stressing how highly you value said school, would love to attend their, but also need to make a thoughtful decision and need to have enough time before April 15th to do so (obviously the closer to that date it gets, the better this line of reasoning sounds). Frankly, the days leading up to April 15th will be a shitshow. It is not at all uncommon to receive an offer just days before or even after that deadline. It sucks not knowing up until that day, but it never hurts to reach out, and know that no matter what April 15th will come and pass and it will all be in the past eventually. If you are this passionate about math and your mathematical career to be this involved on this forum, you likely are an excellent candidate for a math PhD program. I hope and trust that many of you will receive a good offer this year, but it's also not the end of the world if not. There truly is always next year, and you absolutely can gain valuable experience in the interim which may elevate your application. In fact, time out of undergrad plays to the argument that you've had more experience and seen what it's like in the real world and thus are absolutely certain that you want to do a math PhD and will be committed to finishing. Best of luck everyone! Take a deep breath. Be kind to each other, and try your best to not get too stressed out. Everyone on this forum is smart, capable, and will be successful.

lambert

Post by lambert » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:41 pm

Cyclicduck wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:57 pm
Good riddance.
This is all that needs to be said about you. Won't really bother with the rest, since you seem to suffer from the usual unwarranted sense of self importance and garbage posters of your caliber shouldn't be fed too much attention. Go be obnoxious somewhere else and stop derailing the thread with your hissy fits

Cyclicduck

Post by Cyclicduck » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:56 pm

lambert wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:41 pm
Cyclicduck wrote:
Good riddance.
This is all that needs to be said about you. Won't really bother with the rest, since you seem to suffer from the usual unwarranted sense of self importance and garbage posters of your caliber shouldn't be fed too much attention. Go be obnoxious somewhere else and stop derailing the thread with your hissy fits
Sorry, but if you're going to talk about "unwarranted sense of self importance" and "derailing the thread with hissy fits", let's just display your posts and let everyone draw their own conclusions.

EXHIBIT A:
lambert wrote:
I don't see the need to keep wasting my time; I couldn't care less if she got rejected from every place she applied to then blamed it on the patriarchy.
EXHIBIT B:
lambert wrote:
You are pretty unfunny when it comes to low-effort trolls, and any advice you're gonna throw my way is instantly thrown in the trash.
EXHIBIT C:
lambert wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:15 pm
Thanks for your concern, I sadly do not give a single solitary **** about your opinion on anything.

EXHIBIT D:
lambert wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:41 pm
Cyclicduck wrote:
Good riddance.

asterac

Post by asterac » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:57 pm

Junaid456 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:14 pm
Has anyone been invited to the visit day at UC Davis which is apparently on Feb 20 and 21 for both pure math and applied math. Apparently, I got in the applied Math program on 1/28 (funding details forthcoming) but was told they can’t fly me out/pay for the visit day lol
Yeah, me. I’m pure math with no word on funding either, but then, I just got the official acceptance letter from the grad school today. For the visit, they offered to pay for the hotel, ground transport to/from airport, and some meals, but they’re only covering up to $200 for other travel expenses, which is especially low considering they only gave two weeks’ notice to find flights.

Contrast with Notre Dame, who will pay for everything as long as you’re in the US/PR, Canada, or Mexico... and Duke, who will pay for everything in the US and up to $500 for international travel. Counterpoint: my friend told me that to keep Duke’s deep pockets in perspective, I should picture that beautiful campus built on a foundation of cigarettes. That big tobacco money. :o

Oops-ilon

Post by Oops-ilon » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:07 pm

mani_fold wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:57 pm
Also, I just declined offers from Texas A&M and UNC Chapel Hill-- good luck to everyone on the waitlist.
You're the best :lol:

Junaid456

Post by Junaid456 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:29 pm

asterac wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:57 pm
Junaid456 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:14 pm
Yeah, me. I’m pure math with no word on funding either, but then, I just got the official acceptance letter from the grad school today. For the visit, they offered to pay for the hotel, ground transport to/from airport, and some meals, but they’re only covering up to $200 for other travel expenses, which is especially low considering they only gave two weeks’ notice to find flights.

Contrast with Notre Dame, who will pay for everything as long as you’re in the US/PR, Canada, or Mexico... and Duke, who will pay for everything in the US and up to $500 for international travel. Counterpoint: my friend told me that to keep Duke’s deep pockets in perspective, I should picture that beautiful campus built on a foundation of cigarettes. That big tobacco money. :o

Do you or anyone else think I should it may reflect negatively that I wasn’t invited to the graduate visit day. :/ I’m still waiting to get the letter and funding details but they said it should be done this week.

Apparently Maryland’s paying only $400 and all flights from the small regional airport near my current university are > $400 on the weekend I’m supposed to fly out lol

asterac

Post by asterac » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:30 pm

Junaid456 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:29 pm
Do you or anyone else think I should it may reflect negatively that I wasn’t invited to the graduate visit day. :/ I’m still waiting to get the letter and funding details but they said it should be done this week.
I’m not sure! It might be different for applied vs pure, maybe less funding for the visits? Or possibly you were chosen to admit after they had already spent their budget. I can understand worrying about that, but if you’re admitted and go there, it’s not as though you’ll continue to sit in some “no-invite pile,” you know?

Devilbob

Post by Devilbob » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:02 am

In partial reply to my own earlier question: I was admitted to UCSD today, so they may not be completely done with admissions yet.

wth961209

Post by wth961209 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:10 am

It seems that UC Irvine only sent offer to domestic applicants yet. Did any international applicants hear back from them?

jamest03

Post by jamest03 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:22 pm

Has anyone got an interview from Notre Dame applied math? What is it about?

nicole2

Post by nicole2 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:32 pm

I received a call from Ann Arbor today, and Google says the phone number belongs to UMichigan. So I called them back and asked about the status, and was told that they wanted to schedule a 15-30 minute interview over Skype.

After we decided on the date and time, I was asked if I am interested to enroll in their Master's program.

So what should I be expecting from the interview, and is it a bad sign that they're gauging my interest of getting a Masters instead of a Ph.D?

EricAndre

Post by EricAndre » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:33 pm

nicole2 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:32 pm
I received a call from Ann Arbor today, and Google says the phone number belongs to UMichigan. So I called them back and asked about the status, and was told that they wanted to schedule a 15-30 minute interview over Skype.

After we decided on the date and time, I was asked if I am interested to enroll in their Master's program.

So what should I be expecting from the interview, and is it a bad sign that they're gauging my interest of getting a Masters instead of a Ph.D?
Honestly. I think that is great news because you may get a funded masters offer at a great university which can Segway into a PhD at said university provided you do well in the masters program.

ahhhhmeh

Post by ahhhhmeh » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:57 pm

nicole2 wrote:

My guess is that they think you might not be ready for a PhD yet but your application shows promise and you'll benefit form a masters degree. They probably want to know more about you, it's possible the person you'll speak with will be your advisor. Read that person's profile page. Try to figure out if the program is a good fit for you. Ask about their current research topics, their teaching style. Make sure you know the department and ask informed questions. Don't ask questions they've answered on their website.

Also, some schools offer bridge-to-phd to underrepresented minorities and female students. The goal of this program is to help those students obtain a phd in their field by starting as a masters student and then transition to phd. I don't know if thats the case here.

good luck.

nicole2

Post by nicole2 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:07 pm

EricAndre wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:33 pm
nicole2 wrote:

Honestly. I think that is great news because you may get a funded masters offer at a great university which can Segway into a PhD at said university provided you do well in the masters program.
Thanks.
ahhhhmeh wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:57 pm
nicole2 wrote:

My guess is that they think you might not be ready for a PhD yet but your application shows promise and you'll benefit form a masters degree. They probably want to know more about you, it's possible the person you'll speak with will be your advisor. Read that person's profile page. Try to figure out if the program is a good fit for you. Ask about their current research topics, their teaching style. Make sure you know the department and ask informed questions. Don't ask questions they've answered on their website.

Also, some schools offer bridge-to-phd to underrepresented minorities and female students. The goal of this program is to help those students obtain a phd in their field by starting as a masters student and then transition to phd. I don't know if thats the case here.

good luck.
Okay, I will look over the professor's profile and field of expertise. Do they usually ask difficult math questions to test my knowledge?

Wish me luck, and thanks. :D

Oops-ilon

Post by Oops-ilon » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:41 pm

My advisor told me to prepare something mathematical to talk about during an interview (something cool you learned or read about recently) just in case, but I've never had anyone quiz me on anything mathematical in an interview. The mGRE and your classes serve as evidence that you have mathematical knowledge. Since your interview is only 15-30 minutes, it will go by quickly and will be more about the program fit and research interests. I would advise preparing some questions to ask them.

Also congratulations on scoring an interview with Michigan! That's super exciting. Don't discount the master's program if its offered (especially if funded), a degree from Michigan is impressive.

nicole2

Post by nicole2 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:00 pm

Oops-ilon wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:41 pm
My advisor told me to prepare something mathematical to talk about during an interview (something cool you learned or read about recently) just in case, but I've never had anyone quiz me on anything mathematical in an interview. The mGRE and your classes serve as evidence that you have mathematical knowledge. Since your interview is only 15-30 minutes, it will go by quickly and will be more about the program fit and research interests. I would advise preparing some questions to ask them.

Also congratulations on scoring an interview with Michigan! That's super exciting. Don't discount the master's program if its offered (especially if funded), a degree from Michigan is impressive.
Thanks for the tip!

Hopefully I don't bomb it, and I should probably pick something professional to wear. :D

nicole2

Post by nicole2 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:08 pm

Today is a busy day LOL.

Just got an email from Minnesota asking for an interview. I was under the impression that the PhD admission process rarely involves interviews, guess I was wrong.

unitary-reps

Post by unitary-reps » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:22 pm

nicole2 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:00 pm

Thanks for the tip!

Hopefully I don't bomb it, and I should probably pick something professional to wear. :D
I have had two interviews for graduate programs so far and I was not quizzed on any mathematical facts. I was mainly asked questions pertaining to my research interests, what areas do I think I am strong in, why I like that area, etc. So I would think about something specific that interests you mathematically speaking, such as something you found interesting over the course of a thesis, an REU, an advanced course, etc—and be prepared to share that information with your interviewer if they ask.

I don't think you need to be resolute in your interests since those will assuredly change over time, but I think it is a good idea to have put some thought into what kind of math you are currently interested in. Also it would be a good idea to research some of the professors at Michigan and identify those professors whose research interests you (identify say two or three people). Their research should actually interest you and you should make sure that they are still active research-wise. I recommend this step since I was asked who I would be interested in working with during my two interviews and so you may be as well.

This is just my advice so take it as you wish. Perhaps some of the other folks who were interviewed by Michigan could provide insight? Anyways, I hope that your interview goes well!

EricAndre

Post by EricAndre » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:51 pm

I hope I get good news from UIC soon.

nicole2

Post by nicole2 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:18 pm

EricAndre wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:51 pm
Good luck to you! :D I have yet to receive a single acceptance, and it's worrying me ... greatly.

bark_muffalo

Post by bark_muffalo » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:20 pm

EricAndre wrote:
I emailed a professor I know there yesterday to see if they had any idea on when UIC would begin releasing offers. They said they are not on the admissions committee but that "as far as I know they are still a ways away from sending out any offers." More specifically, they said they wouldn't expect to hear back before early March.

Also, they mentioned that UIC typically sends out applications in waves. That means you could be waiting until mid to late March or even April to hear something definite.

So yeah, more waiting :/

EricAndre

Post by EricAndre » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:44 pm

bark_muffalo wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:20 pm
EricAndre wrote:
I emailed a professor I know there yesterday to see if they had any idea on when UIC would begin releasing offers. They said they are not on the admissions committee but that "as far as I know they are still a ways away from sending out any offers." More specifically, they said they wouldn't expect to hear back before early March.

Also, they mentioned that UIC typically sends out applications in waves. That means you could be waiting until mid to late March or even April to hear something definite.

So yeah, more waiting :/
historically they send out offers on February 14-16th, right? Or that is what it seems like historically. They usually have their visitors week early March.

bark_muffalo

Post by bark_muffalo » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:53 pm

At for the past few years, yes, it seems UIC releases a first round offers in mid-February. It's hard to know exactly how much my contact knows about what's happening this year, and he could definitely be wrong. I hope that he is and responses (positive ones!) arrive in the coming days. I'm trying not to get my hopes up though.

0/2 at this point and getting worried.

EricAndre

Post by EricAndre » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:57 pm

bark_muffalo wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:53 pm
At for the past few years, yes, it seems UIC releases a first round offers in mid-February. It's hard to know exactly how much my contact knows about what's happening this year, and he could definitely be wrong. I hope that he is and responses (positive ones!) arrive in the coming days. I'm trying not to get my hopes up though.

0/2 at this point and getting worried.

I sometimes wonder if UIC has rejected people but they don't post it on thegradcafe or this forum. It seems like they did reject people in 2018 before april 15th but that does not seem like a trend historically.

yaskhn3

Post by yaskhn3 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:06 pm

Has anyone seen any rejection or got rejected from either of these: UCLA, UCSD, UPenn, Maryland, & Notre Dame for Pure Maths? These are the only schools left on my list. Although an offer is unlikely, rejection might help me sleep :)

kansas_math

Post by kansas_math » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:08 pm

nicole2 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:18 pm
EricAndre wrote:
Good luck to you! :D I have yet to receive a single acceptance, and it's worrying me ... greatly.
Getting two interviews is a very good sign!

SKS2s17fa

Post by SKS2s17fa » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:12 pm

Anyone like me still receive nothing from the schools? I even have not received anything from my own school. Do I need to contact the admissions? I have heard that someone is responsible for sending offers to international students in my school, but I don’t know him. Is it good to bother him?

SKS2s17fa

Post by SKS2s17fa » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:14 pm

nicole2 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:08 pm
Today is a busy day LOL.

Just got an email from Minnesota asking for an interview. I was under the impression that the PhD admission process rarely involves interviews, guess I was wrong.
Congratulations to you. Please decline the offers you don’t want on time. So nervous about my own applications.

EricAndre

Post by EricAndre » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:15 pm

SKS2s17fa wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:12 pm
Anyone like me still receive nothing from the schools? I even have not received anything from my own school. Do I need to contact the admissions? I have heard that someone is responsible for sending offers to international students in my school, but I don’t know him. Is it good to bother him?
if possible it would be best to walk in and ask. If that is not possible then an email asking about your status to the DGS would be good.

ahhhhmeh

Post by ahhhhmeh » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:18 pm

SKS2s17fa wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:12 pm
Same. Everyone tells me they are reviewing applications. ☹️