Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
asterac

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by asterac » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:35 pm

I poked Northwestern about admissions/visiting since I’ll be going through Chicago anyway and got the following response:

“I can share the following information from our admissions committee: All decisions will be made before April 15; no further information is available at this time.

Please note: Our application process is currently ongoing. Concerning our upcoming open house, details are not yet finalized. Admitted students will receive more information about this visit once it is available.”

Not sure if the “our application process is currently ongoing” means that there are actually still people who might be admitted/waitlisted who haven’t heard yet or if they like to keep their cards close to their chest just because.

analysister

Post by analysister » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:36 pm

FYI UCLA posted a round of rejections on the portal with no email about status change. So if you haven't heard back you might want to check.

ahhhhmeh

Post by ahhhhmeh » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:07 pm

asterac wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:35 pm
I poked Northwestern about admissions/visiting since I’ll be going through Chicago anyway and got the following response:

“I can share the following information from our admissions committee: All decisions will be made before April 15; no further information is available at this time.

Please note: Our application process is currently ongoing. Concerning our upcoming open house, details are not yet finalized. Admitted students will receive more information about this visit once it is available.”

Not sure if the “our application process is currently ongoing” means that there are actually still people who might be admitted/waitlisted who haven’t heard yet or if they like to keep their cards close to their chest just because.
From what I understand that’s a rejection. My school said the same to me. But then yesterday I was in the lobby minding my own and unfortunately I saw the people who got an offer check in for the information session.

shawnsh

Post by shawnsh » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:26 pm

Anyone knows when shall Tufts University hold open house?

EricAndre

Post by EricAndre » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:27 pm

ahhhhmeh wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:07 pm
asterac wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:35 pm

From what I understand that’s a rejection. My school said the same to me. But then yesterday I was in the lobby minding my own and unfortunately I saw the people who got an offer check in for the information session.
I disagree. It just means the application is still on going. If you get in then don't expect a royal carpet (Open House) because you weren't a first round draft pick.

finite

Post by finite » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:42 pm

Anyone else who didn't hear anything from Ohio State yet? My application status still shows "Pending".

EricAndre

Post by EricAndre » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:48 pm

finite wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:42 pm
Anyone else who didn't hear anything from Ohio State yet? My application status still shows "Pending".
Highly likely that you are waitlisted then.

discretephenom

Post by discretephenom » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:53 pm

finite wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:42 pm
They sent out a waitlist the other day.

stevewmath

Post by stevewmath » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:03 am

Last edited by stevewmath on Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

EricAndre

Post by EricAndre » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:27 am

Does anyone have any news from Brandeis? I know there was one acceptance.

lucasmiranda

Post by lucasmiranda » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:25 am

I just got an email from Stony Brook saying that the committee is meeting this week and decisions (interview requests and rejections, probably) should be sent next week.

Edit: Also, UBC said decisions should start to be sent the end of the week
Last edited by lucasmiranda on Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrisps1992

Post by chrisps1992 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:53 am

lucasmiranda wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:25 am
I just got an email from Stony Brook saying that the committee is meeting this week and decisions (interview requests and rejections, probably) should be sent next week.
More unbearable waiting. I feel like schools are late this year.

Integreat

Post by Integreat » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:00 pm

lucasmiranda wrote:
I just got accepted to Stony Brook. There is no waitlist. They’re seeing who’s still interested. Those who are accepted, but are not interested, will open up another spot for someone.

lucasmiranda

Post by lucasmiranda » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:07 pm

Integreat wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:00 pm
lucasmiranda wrote:
I just got accepted to Stony Brook. There is no waitlist. They’re seeing who’s still interested. Those who are accepted, but are not interested, will open up another spot for someone.
Thanks for the update and congratulations! Did they schedule an interview or you were accepted right away?

chrisps1992

Post by chrisps1992 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:13 pm

Integreat wrote:
lucasmiranda wrote:
Someone tell them I’m interested 😂

Integreat

Post by Integreat » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:34 pm

lucasmiranda wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:07 pm
Integreat wrote:
lucasmiranda wrote:
Thanks for the update and congratulations! Did they schedule an interview or you were accepted right away?
Accepted right away. Afaik interviews are mostly for international students. UC Irvine is the only exceptionI’ve seen

MathParent

Post by MathParent » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:32 am

Folks, does anyone know what's up with Stanford's decisions? I see a few acceptances on grad cafe, and no rejections. Most of those who applied and listed profiles here still didn't post the decision from Stanford. Anyone knows when Stanford releases a wave or something?

Same for UMD.

CoronalRain

Post by CoronalRain » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:47 pm

MathParent wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:32 am
Folks, does anyone know what's up with Stanford's decisions? I see a few acceptances on grad cafe, and no rejections. Most of those who applied and listed profiles here still didn't post the decision from Stanford. Anyone knows when Stanford releases a wave or something?

Same for UMD.
Last year, UMD waited until April 15 to release their rejections. It was really annoying, and all they would say if you contacted them was "you're on our strong applicant list." That sounds like you're at the top of the list and likely to be accepted, but in reality it's a waitlist a mile long. If last year is any indicator, it's pretty unlikely to get off the waitlist at UMD.

Not sure what's up with Stanford, though.

ahhhhmeh

Post by ahhhhmeh » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:13 pm

CoronalRain wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:47 pm
MathParent wrote:

Same for UMD.
Last year, UMD waited until April 15 to release their rejections. It was really annoying, and all they would say if you contacted them was "you're on our strong applicant list." That sounds like you're at the top of the list and likely to be accepted, but in reality it's a waitlist a mile long. If last year is any indicator, it's pretty unlikely to get off the waitlist at UMD.

Sadly that’s has been my experience with every program. It’s very unprofessional that they do this. I basically assume rejection if it’s passed their usual acceptances period. Last year there were programs which never sent me a rejection. Not even after April 15, UPenn you know who you are.

chrisps1992

Post by chrisps1992 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:15 pm

Last edited by chrisps1992 on Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

EricAndre

Post by EricAndre » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:20 pm

ahhhhmeh wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:13 pm
CoronalRain wrote:
MathParent wrote:

Same for UMD.

Sadly that’s has been my experience with every program. It’s very unprofessional that they do this. I basically assume rejection if it’s passed their usual acceptances period. Last year there were programs which never sent me a rejection. Not even after April 15, UPenn you know who you are.
Some people do get accepted in April.

davis7e wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:02 pm
My buddy received one offer on April 11 (I think it was from Syracuse) and they gave him a week to decide. I think he then received an offer from Iowa and K State on April 13 and 14, respectively. Each gave him until April 15 to decide until he emailed them back asking for 2-3 more days so that he could email current students about things like cost of living, qualifying exams and other basics that one should probably know about ahead of time.

CraftAnon

Post by CraftAnon » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:42 pm

Any ideas what the situation is with Rutgers? There's been a few acceptances on here and only one on Grad Cafe (Usually there's a few more). Are they likely to release another wave of acceptances? or is it safe to assume I likely won't be getting an offer from them?

ahhhhmeh

Post by ahhhhmeh » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:10 pm

EricAndre wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:20 pm
ahhhhmeh wrote:
CoronalRain wrote:

davis7e wrote:
My buddy received one offer on April 11 (I think it was from Syracuse) and they gave him a week to decide. I think he then received an offer from Iowa and K State on April 13 and 14, respectively. Each gave him until April 15 to decide until he emailed them back asking for 2-3 more days so that he could email current students about things like cost of living, qualifying exams and other basics that one should probably know about ahead of time.
I know some do but for most candidates I’ve spoken with and myself, it turned out that the admissions offices just kept us in the dark for no good reason. I firmly believe if nobody has received an offer then yes, they must be reviewing applications. But if they’ve sent out a round of offers and it’s been a few good weeks then it’s over.

When I emailed my school’s admissions office they gave the typical response that they are reviewing applications. But I knew they’ve already sent out offers. So I spoke with someone in the admissions office, they said yes we’ve sent some offers and a few more may be sent out so the door isn’t shut. But the tone of the conversation was very clear, don’t be hopeful. Because usually they know how many people accept their offer and they send out enough offers to get the number of students they want.

I have a great respect for those schools who have notified the students that they are on a waitlist or rejected. Because they are preventing a lot of stress and uncertainty for the students. I think that’s how it should be.

chrisps1992

Post by chrisps1992 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:14 pm

ahhhhmeh wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:10 pm
EricAndre wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:20 pm
ahhhhmeh wrote:

davis7e wrote:
I know some do but for most candidates I’ve spoken with and myself, it turned out that the admissions offices just kept us in the dark for no good reason. I firmly believe if nobody has received an offer then yes, they must be reviewing applications. But if they’ve sent out a round of offers and it’s been a few good weeks then it’s over.

When I emailed my school’s admissions office they gave the typical response that they are reviewing applications. But I knew they’ve already sent out offers. So I spoke with someone in the admissions office, they said yes we’ve sent some offers and a few more may be sent out so the door isn’t shut. But the tone of the conversation was very clear, don’t be hopeful. Because usually they know how many people accept their offer and they send out enough offers to get the number of students they want.

I have a great respect for those schools who have notified the students that they are on a waitlist or rejected. Because they are preventing a lot of stress and uncertainty for the students. I think that’s how it should be.
I agree, not knowing is an awful feeling. Dragging that feeling out until April is torture.

Devilbob

Post by Devilbob » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:59 pm

CraftAnon wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:42 pm
Any ideas what the situation is with Rutgers? There's been a few acceptances on here and only one on Grad Cafe (Usually there's a few more). Are they likely to release another wave of acceptances? or is it safe to assume I likely won't be getting an offer from them?
Yeah, I'm the one that posted the only acceptance on grad cafe from Rutgers (I have no idea why this is, tbh). I can't say very confidently what they're doing, I'm afraid. They've already sent out a lot of details on the open house; on 2/14 they sent out a mass email about it but didn't shield the other recipients names, so by that point at least 22 people had been admitted. I can't rule out a second wave, though. Their website says that in 2017 they accepted over 40 (of which 16 accepted), so it could be they're doing it in halves.

hanzr

Post by hanzr » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:00 pm

chrisps1992 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:15 pm
Does anyone have any idea when penn state will send out their pure math decisions? They have been completely radio silent.
I received offer from penn state on Feb 26.
Last edited by hanzr on Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrisps1992

Post by chrisps1992 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:04 pm

hanzr wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:00 pm
chrisps1992 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:15 pm
Does anyone have any idea when penn state will send out their pure math decisions? They have been completely radio silent.
I received offer from penn state at Feb 26.
Oh no 😱. I’m running out of places!

EricAndre

Post by EricAndre » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:47 pm

Devilbob wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:59 pm
CraftAnon wrote:
Yeah, I'm the one that posted the only acceptance on grad cafe from Rutgers (I have no idea why this is, tbh). I can't say very confidently what they're doing, I'm afraid. They've already sent out a lot of details on the open house; on 2/14 they sent out a mass email about it but didn't shield the other recipients names, so by that point at least 22 people had been admitted. I can't rule out a second wave, though. Their website says that in 2017 they accepted over 40 (of which 16 accepted), so it could be they're doing it in halves.
This person said
swati16273 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:17 pm
Undergrad Institution: Indraprastha Institute of Information Technology, Delhi
Major(s): Computer science and mathematics
GPA: 8.44/10
Type of Student: International Indian Female

GRE Revised General Test:
Q: 166 (89%)
V: 150 (46%)
W: 4.5 (81%)

GRE Subject Test in Mathematics:
M: 830 (82%)

TOEFL score: 106

Program Applying: Pure mathematics Ph.D.

Research Experience: BTech project in axiomatic set theory.
Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Nil
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Teaching assistant for a course on linear algebra and mathematical logic, Tutor of two international students for probability and statistics course.
Any Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: All my recommenders know me very well and all of them must have written strong LORs; Treasurer of Women in mathematics association of IIITD.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: 9 graduate courses.

Dream:
Cambridge MASt in Pure Mathematics - Pending
CMU - Pending
Dartmouth - Pending
UIUC - Rejected on 10/1 - Being considered for master's currently
Rutgers - Waitlisted by email inquiry on 19/2.

Reach:
Penn State - Pending
Ohio State - Pending
University of Illinois, Chicago - Admitted on 16/2 with TAship $2290 per month.

Safe:
UConn - Admitted on 21/2 with TAship $24,313 per year
University of Florida - Pending
Temple University - Waitlisted on 7/2 by email inquiry
Kansas State University - Admitted on 18/2 - Declined

they are waitlisted so, maybe they already sent their first round offers out?

EricAndre

Post by EricAndre » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:17 pm

Still waiting on UIC. Days go by and I start to lose hope that I will ever get into there.

prospectivestudent69

Post by prospectivestudent69 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:35 pm

Currently on the waitlist at Ohio State and am ranked in the top priority (group 1). Anyone have any idea if I'll actually end up getting off the waitlist or is this more of an empty promise?

ahhhhmeh

Post by ahhhhmeh » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:49 am

lucasmiranda wrote:

UBC is my only hope at this point. 🤞
chrisps1992 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:13 pm
Integreat wrote:
lucasmiranda wrote:
I asked Stony Brook again and they said decisions will be out within a week. Last year Stony sent out some offers at the end of February then sent a bunch of rejections on March 1st. So if I don’t hear from them today, it’s over. Not a good sign that they’ve reached out to multiple people and gave them unofficial offers.

Flyingbe

Post by Flyingbe » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:39 am

May anyone enlighten me whether Northwestern has sent out all the offers?

I have a two body problem so I'm doubly stressed out for not knowing the outcome... My girlfriend already got into Uchicago...

chrisps1992

Post by chrisps1992 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:37 am

ahhhhmeh wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:49 am
lucasmiranda wrote:

UBC is my only hope at this point. 🤞
chrisps1992 wrote:
Integreat wrote:

I asked Stony Brook again and they said decisions will be out within a week. Last year Stony sent out some offers at the end of February then sent a bunch of rejections on March 1st. So if I don’t hear from them today, it’s over. Not a good sign that they’ve reached out to multiple people and gave them unofficial offers.
I have the same fear

lapislazur

Post by lapislazur » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:32 pm

chrisps1992 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:37 am
ahhhhmeh wrote:
lucasmiranda wrote:
chrisps1992 wrote:
I have the same fear
Take my words with a grain of salt, I talked with a current PhD student whose advisor was on admission committee this Wednesday, he said 36 (unofficial) offers were made and were already sent out at that point, they expected around 1/3 offers would be taken upon.

chrisps1992

Post by chrisps1992 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:41 pm

lapislazur wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:32 pm
chrisps1992 wrote:
ahhhhmeh wrote:

I have the same fear
Take my words with a grain of salt, I talked with a current PhD student whose advisor was on admission committee this Wednesday, he said 36 (unofficial) offers were made and were already sent out at that point, they expected around 1/3 offers would be taken upon.
I guess the 1/3 is all they want to take?

lapislazur

Post by lapislazur » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:45 pm

chrisps1992 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:41 pm
lapislazur wrote:
chrisps1992 wrote:

I have the same fear
They want each incoming PhD class to be ~12 people, but sometimes more people said yes to the offers than they expected (e.g. 2018), then they would make less offers next year.

chrisps1992

Post by chrisps1992 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:47 pm

lapislazur wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:45 pm
chrisps1992 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:41 pm
lapislazur wrote:

They want each incoming PhD class to be ~12 people, but sometimes more people said yes to the offers than they expected (e.g. 2018), then they would make less offers next year.
Well that sucks, I really wanted Stony Brook.

hedgehog0

Post by hedgehog0 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:01 pm

Schools like CMU and Gatech are pretty slow this year, or as previous years I do not know.

Junaid456

Post by Junaid456 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:03 pm

hedgehog0 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:01 pm
Schools like CMU and Gatech are pretty slow this year, or as previous years I do not know.
Haven’t heard anything from Georgia Tech myself but I guess they dished out the first round some time in January/early Feb. At least that’s what the information on grad cafe seems to imply.
Last edited by Junaid456 on Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrisps1992

Post by chrisps1992 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:04 pm

hedgehog0 wrote:
I think ga tech has already sent out their offers. If you haven’t gotten in yet, then it’s probably a rejection. Last year on grad cafe everyone got rejected late feb.

hedgehog0

Post by hedgehog0 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:07 pm

chrisps1992 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:04 pm
hedgehog0 wrote:
I think ga tech has already sent out their offers. If you haven’t gotten in yet, then it’s probably a rejection. Last year on grad cafe everyone got rejected late feb.
I'm not surprised if I was rejected. One of my friends is a strong applicant imo, who still hasn't heard anything from these two schools as well.

Sobolev_Inequality

Post by Sobolev_Inequality » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:38 pm

hedgehog0 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:07 pm
chrisps1992 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:04 pm
hedgehog0 wrote:
I'm not surprised if I was rejected. One of my friends is a strong applicant imo, who still hasn't heard anything from these two schools as well.
I have seen people post on grad cafe that they got in CMU for math in middle-late January. Based on this (https://www.cmu.edu/math/grad/phd/outco ... tions.html) they don't seem to admit many students, so I assume at this point it is a rejection.

Integreat

Post by Integreat » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:22 pm

CraftAnon wrote:
I emailed the other day and just heard back. Didn’t get in. So, you can also email too if you want a definitive answer

Devilbob

Post by Devilbob » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:30 pm

UCSB just replied to a message I sent them:
Hi (name),
Thank you for checking on the status of your application to UC Santa Barbara. Your application is currently under review by our Admissions Committee. We have just made a first round of admission offers and we expect to be making additional offers in the coming weeks, through the end of March.
So there's an update for anyone else who has been waiting on UCSB.

ahhhhmeh

Post by ahhhhmeh » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:00 pm

Just got a rejection from Stony Brook.

chrisps1992

Post by chrisps1992 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:06 pm

Yep, stony brook rejections are out. Get em while they’re hot!

ahhhhmeh

Post by ahhhhmeh » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:37 pm

deleted
Last edited by ahhhhmeh on Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrisps1992

Post by chrisps1992 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:56 pm

ahhhhmeh wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:37 pm
chrisps1992 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:06 pm
Are you waiting on anywhere else?
Penn state, MSU, IU Bloomington, UMN. I’m waitlisted at Notre Dame and Texas A&M

ahhhhmeh

Post by ahhhhmeh » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:13 pm

chrisps1992 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:56 pm
ahhhhmeh wrote:
chrisps1992 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:06 pm
Penn state, MSU, IU Bloomington, UMN. I’m waitlisted at Notre Dame and Texas A&M
Hopefully you’ll get some good news from one of them soon.

I am clinging to my seat until I hear from UBC as they are my last chance at having a career in math.

chrisps1992

Post by chrisps1992 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:15 pm

ahhhhmeh wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:13 pm
chrisps1992 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:56 pm
ahhhhmeh wrote:

Hopefully you’ll get some good news from one of them soon.

I am clinging to my seat until I hear from UBC as they are my last chance at having a career in math.
Hope you have some good news, too.