Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
yaskhn3

Re: Fall 2020 Sweat Thread

Post by yaskhn3 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:28 pm

EricAndre wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:58 am
wth961209 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:36 am
finite wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:06 am

Yeah, I wrote to Professor Chesdikov too.
I emailed their director of graduate study (Professor Chesdikov), and also associate director of graduate study (Professor Madden) about 5 times, but they never replied to my email. Finally, I got a very rude rejection from Professor Chesdikov saying "Unfortunately your application has been denied".Image
So the question is. Did they reject you for inquiring or did they reject you because you were actually rejected but not informed?
It is a really terrible thing for a school to have rejected someone and not inform them In a timely manner.
It's not possible to get rejected for inquiring. It's quite possible that he was rejected and just wasn't informed. This is something very common. UCSD, Maryland, UPenn etc. do this too.

EricAndre

Post by EricAndre » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:06 pm

yaskhn3 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:28 pm
EricAndre wrote:
wth961209 wrote:

I emailed their director of graduate study (Professor Chesdikov), and also associate director of graduate study (Professor Madden) about 5 times, but they never replied to my email. Finally, I got a very rude rejection from Professor Chesdikov saying "Unfortunately your application has been denied".Image
So the question is. Did they reject you for inquiring or did they reject you because you were actually rejected but not informed?
It is a really terrible thing for a school to have rejected someone and not inform them In a timely manner.
It's not possible to get rejected for inquiring. It's quite possible that he was rejected and just wasn't informed. This is something very common. UCSD, Maryland, UPenn etc. do this too.
I imagine emailing the graduate director excessively would "annoy them" and hence force them to deny you. An applicant is in a really tricky position tbh, you don't want to come off as neurotic but you really want to know your status. Also his response was excessively rude, I have emailed some gradaute directors and they at least add buffer statements.

ponchan

Post by ponchan » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:43 pm

EricAndre wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:06 pm
yaskhn3 wrote:
EricAndre wrote:

I imagine emailing the graduate director excessively would "annoy them" and hence force them to deny you. An applicant is in a really tricky position tbh, you don't want to come off as neurotic but you really want to know your status. Also his response was excessively rude, I have emailed some gradaute directors and they at least add buffer statements.
This is absolutely not true. There’s an entire admissions committee that decides on who should be admitted. A grad director can’t simply deny you for asking the status of your application. If no faith in humanity, at least understand the confines of bureaucracy

EricAndre

Post by EricAndre » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:47 pm

ponchan wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:43 pm
EricAndre wrote:
yaskhn3 wrote:

This is absolutely not true. There’s an entire admissions committee that decides on who should be admitted. A grad director can’t simply deny you for asking the status of your application. If no faith in humanity, at least understand the confines of bureaucracy
Well, I would not say that they wouldn't deny you for it, but annoying the graduate director is never a good idea in my opinion.

bark_muffalo

Post by bark_muffalo » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:21 pm

EricAndre wrote:
Well, I would not say that they wouldn't deny you for it, but annoying the graduate director is never a good idea in my opinion.
[/quote]

FWIW, I met Alexey this fall and he is a nice guy. I know his response posted above seems rude, but I doubt he meant it to be. I also doubt OP's email annoyed him. Instead, think he just hasn't adopted some of the typical American cultural norms of communication. Granted, this is a generalization, but when americans have to deliver bad news to someone, they tend not to do it directly. Often, they also spend a fair bit of time trying to make the person feel better. Standard official rejection letters/emails from US universities are a good example. A lot of people from other cultures communicate bad news much more directly than Americans do. Again, this is a generalization, but I would lump Russians into this category.

Is it possible to annoy a DGS/admissions coordinators with emails about your application status? Yes. However, if you write a polite, professional email (and you don't send them like 20 emails in two weeks), you will not annoy them. If anything, it will help you! Schools want to know which of the applicants they might still consider admitting actually want to join their program.

In the event that a polite email in which you ask about your application status and reiterate your interest in the program does annoy them, then honestly, that's probably a sign you don't want to be a student in that department!

bark_muffalo

Post by bark_muffalo » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:26 pm

Sending out the standard plea:

if you have been accepted to CU Boulder and don't plan on going there, please decline your offer : ) The grad coordinator notified me of my waitlist position and gave me a small ray of hope.

CoronalRain

Post by CoronalRain » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:46 pm

bark_muffalo wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:21 pm
FWIW, I met Alexey this fall and he is a nice guy. I know his response posted above seems rude, but I doubt he meant it to be. I also doubt OP's email annoyed him. Instead, think he just hasn't adopted some of the typical American cultural norms of communication. Granted, this is a generalization, but when americans have to deliver bad news to someone, they tend not to do it directly. Often, they also spend a fair bit of time trying to make the person feel better. Standard official rejection letters/emails from US universities are a good example. A lot of people from other cultures communicate bad news much more directly than Americans do. Again, this is a generalization, but I would lump Russians into this category.
Spot on. I would be elated to receive that email from a director of graduate studies, because a curt rejection is so much better than no response at all. The fact that the email doesn't contain the phrase "I am sorry to inform you" or "we had many strong applicants this year" is entirely irrelevant. He was doing OP a kindness by responding at all. Many in his position would have just ignored the email(s).

Folks, if you're still waiting for responses, send one email or make one phone call, and be content with whatever information you receive. This year is especially tough for everyone, and admissions committees are under no obligation to expedite your decision just because your patience is waning thin.

chrisps1992

Post by chrisps1992 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:35 pm

I sent a very polite email to 3 different places and none of them replied. I'm hoping it was just because they had more emails than they could handle and not an implication of something else :shock:

hiwasaki

Post by hiwasaki » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:02 am

Has anyone not heard back from UCLA? I'm still waiting on it :(

Torwel407

Post by Torwel407 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:00 am

Some people have heard back from UCLA yet, right? Good luck my man!

Any news from Toronto? Have any internationals been accepted apart from the one on the results page? UofT is notoriously slooooow in getting back and making decisions (I haven't received a SINGLE email from them since submitting my application in December... never a good sign but hope dies last I guess)

Schauder

Post by Schauder » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:41 am

hiwasaki wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:02 am
UCLA recently had their open house. I recall some people mentioning seeing rejections on their portals, so maybe check your portal.

lucasmiranda

Post by lucasmiranda » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:49 am

Torwel407 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:00 am
Any news from Toronto? Have any internationals been accepted apart from the one on the results page? UofT is notoriously slooooow in getting back and making decisions (I haven't received a SINGLE email from them since submitting my application in December... never a good sign but hope dies last I guess)
I emailed them a couple of weeks ago. They said they would most likely notify all the applicants around mid March. So perhaps this week?

MathParent

Post by MathParent » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:14 pm

hiwasaki wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:02 am
My kid hasn't heard from UCLA. It doesn't matter by now, since he committed to a place he liked from the start, and sent his rejections to other places that did admit him. He also did send a polite e-mail to UCLA asking on the status, but got no response.
Last edited by MathParent on Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MathParent

Post by MathParent » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:29 pm

wth961209 wrote:
Frankly, I do not see any rudeness in that e-mail. Although I am Russian too (but I live here in the USA for 30 years, came after have the best education possible - in the USSR, - and then I got my PhD also here, from USC).

That Russian professor conveyed the fact (that you were not admitted), he also tried to soften it by using the word "unfortunately". Why would you, as a mathematician, and not say, a creative writer, why would you care about all the fluff like "we had many highly qualified applicants this year" or "despite your application being on of those occupying the top of the pile..." Why would you, a MATHEMATICIAN, care for the non-essential fluff that doesn't play any role in the end?

The official denying letter are usually created by the people with the proper education (NOT mathematicians). It is a cover-all-polite-fluff. Everyone receives the same one. Everyone is told how great they are, "but unfortunately..."

The professor gave you everything you asked for. You asked for the status. He **politely** told you the status. "Unfortunately..." And, mind you, it is not his job to answer these inquiry e-nails. His job is to make decisions on admission, not to refresh status via e-mails.

Really. I mean I feel for you that you didn't get into that specific place. But please. Prof Cheskidov didn't say or do anything rude in that particular encounter.

ponchan

Post by ponchan » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:02 pm

MathParent wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:29 pm
wth961209 wrote:
Frankly, I do not see any rudeness in that e-mail. Although I am Russian too (but I live here in the USA for 30 years, came after have the best education possible - in the USSR, - and then I got my PhD also here, from USC).

That Russian professor conveyed the fact (that you were not admitted), he also tried to soften it by using the word "unfortunately". Why would you, as a mathematician, and not say, a creative writer, why would you care about all the fluff like "we had many highly qualified applicants this year" or "despite your application being on of those occupying the top of the pile..." Why would you, a MATHEMATICIAN, care for the non-essential fluff that doesn't play any role in the end?

The official denying letter are usually created by the people with the proper education (NOT mathematicians). It is a cover-all-polite-fluff. Everyone receives the same one. Everyone is told how great they are, "but unfortunately..."

The professor gave you everything you asked for. You asked for the status. He **politely** told you the status. "Unfortunately..." And, mind you, it is not his job to answer these inquiry e-nails. His job is to make decisions on admission, not to refresh status via e-mails.

Really. I mean I feel for you that you didn't get into that specific place. But please. Prof Cheskidov didn't say or do anything rude in that particular encounter.
Oh please. There's a word for this particular kind of rudeness; it's called "curt". Look it up.

"Creative writing" has nothing to do with it.

CoronalRain

Post by CoronalRain » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:30 pm

ponchan wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:02 pm
Oh please. There's a word for this particular kind of rudeness; it's called "curt". Look it up.

You're totally missing the point. The fact that the professor responded at all is a kindness in itself. Admissions committees are completely swamped at this time of year, even moreso when you consider what's happening with the coronavirus now. Any response at all is a kindness, regardless of the number of words used.

MathParent is right -- mathematicians tend not to care so much about fluff. Call it curt if you want, but if an email like that bothers you, you're going to have a tough time in academia.

ponchan

Post by ponchan » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:22 pm

CoronalRain wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:30 pm
ponchan wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:02 pm

You're totally missing the point. The fact that the professor responded at all is a kindness in itself. Admissions committees are completely swamped at this time of year, even moreso when you consider what's happening with the coronavirus now. Any response at all is a kindness, regardless of the number of words used.

MathParent is right -- mathematicians tend not to care so much about fluff. Call it curt if you want, but if an email like that bothers you, you're going to have a tough time in academia.
Have some self respect. It's not a "kindness" that they respond to us. You've paid $75 to $125 to apply to their program. It takes 30 seconds to formulate a generic, respectful response to send when an applicant sends an inquiry of this sort.

And to say "mathematicians tend not to case so much about fluff" is bullshit. It's called having basic social skills. And despite how portrayed in pop culture, most mathematicians I know do have these.

CoronalRain

Post by CoronalRain » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:25 pm

ponchan wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:22 pm
You've paid $75 to $125 to apply to their program.
With the understanding that we will receive a response through the proper channels by April 15th. Going outside the proper channels guarantees us nothing, which is why any communication whatsoever is generous.

ponchan

Post by ponchan » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:49 pm

CoronalRain wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:25 pm
ponchan wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:22 pm
You've paid $75 to $125 to apply to their program.
With the understanding that we will receive a response through the proper channels by April 15th. Going outside the proper channels guarantees us nothing, which is why any communication whatsoever is generous.
I'm not sure why you think politely emailing the grad director is "going outside proper channels". This isn't the CIA or military; you can email whomever you'd like. And responding to inquiries about the program (and that would include admissions inquiries) is one of the job obligations of a grad director. Programs literally list on their websites who the grad director is, their email address, and an invitation to email them with questions.

Cyclicduck

Post by Cyclicduck » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:39 pm

CoronalRain wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:30 pm

If an email like that bothers you, you're going to have a tough time in life.

yaskhn3

Post by yaskhn3 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:33 am

Finally USCD rejection. Check your email and portal

uytrew

Post by uytrew » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:03 pm

yaskhn3 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:33 am
How long ago did it come out? I haven't gotten anything yet

yaskhn3

Post by yaskhn3 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:42 pm

uytrew wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:03 pm
yaskhn3 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:33 am
How long ago did it come out? I haven't gotten anything yet
15 hours ago

peoplesjw

Post by peoplesjw » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:12 pm

If you are accepted into UMaryland and not going, please decline!!

yaskhn3

Post by yaskhn3 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:00 am

peoplesjw wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:12 pm
Did you get waitlisted?

Torwel407

Post by Torwel407 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:03 am

lucasmiranda wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:49 am
I emailed them a couple of weeks ago. They said they would most likely notify all the applicants around mid March. So perhaps this week?
Thank you for this -- I guess it isn't looking good then. Maybe today/tomorrow? Have you heard of any rejections? I fear they're just going to reject everyone they didn't accept in one batch at the end.

lucasmiranda

Post by lucasmiranda » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:05 am

Torwel407 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:03 am
lucasmiranda wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:49 am
Thank you for this -- I guess it isn't looking good then. Maybe today/tomorrow? Have you heard of any rejections? I fear they're just going to reject everyone they didn't accept in one batch at the end.

I think they'll still make some offers. There are no rejections here or on gradcafe and a lot of good profiles here haven't heard back yet. Good luck to you!

Torwel407

Post by Torwel407 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:17 am

lucasmiranda wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:05 am
I think they'll still make some offers. There are no rejections here or on gradcafe and a lot of good profiles here haven't heard back yet. Good luck to you!
Thank you so much for this -- any positive news are so much appreciated. Good luck to you, too! Are you all set yet? Have you made any decisions?

lucasmiranda

Post by lucasmiranda » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:25 am

Torwel407 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:17 am
lucasmiranda wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:05 am
Thank you so much for this -- any positive news are so much appreciated. Good luck to you, too! Are you all set yet? Have you made any decisions?
I have already accepted an offer from Warwick so that's one less candidate in the competition! Haha

Torwel407

Post by Torwel407 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:42 am

lucasmiranda wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:25 am
I have already accepted an offer from Warwick so that's one less candidate in the competition! Haha
Congrats! Yes, the less competition the better -- but all in good faith. It's always great to hear from others getting into places they really like!

lucasmiranda

Post by lucasmiranda » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:08 am

Torwel407 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:42 am
lucasmiranda wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:25 am
Congrats! Yes, the less competition the better -- but all in good faith. It's always great to hear from others getting into places they really like!
Thanks a lot! Hopefully, you'll get good news from Toronto soon!

chrisps1992

Post by chrisps1992 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:49 pm

If anyone is waiting on Bloomington, I received a reply and they said that they would be sending out acceptances all the way up to April 15.

gokulbhusal

Post by gokulbhusal » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:51 pm

Did anyone hear about UMN?

chrisps1992

Post by chrisps1992 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:50 pm

gokulbhusal wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:51 pm
Did anyone hear about UMN?
I sent an email about a week ago, still have not heard back.

peoplesjw

Post by peoplesjw » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:51 pm

yaskhn3 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:00 am
peoplesjw wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:12 pm
Did you get waitlisted?
Yes, I was reached out to and asked if I was still interested, I think basically saying no offer for me yet but it’s likely they’ll be able to.

discretephenom

Post by discretephenom » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:33 am

Finally got my first admission! My word what a relief. Don't know where I'll end up going because I'm waiting still on around 8 schools but I'm very happy to go where I was admitted. Love you all!

MathParent

Post by MathParent » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:35 pm

discretephenom wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:33 am
Finally got my first admission! My word what a relief. Don't know where I'll end up going because I'm waiting still on around 8 schools but I'm very happy to go where I was admitted. Love you all!
Congratulations!

huheimengjiang

Post by huheimengjiang » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:01 pm

finite wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:46 pm
EG5 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:06 pm
Has anyone heard anything from CUNY?
They've sent out the first round of offers and they may prepare another shortlist in early April.
If you got the offer from CUNY but not going, please decline. I appreciate it!

neumannseries

Post by neumannseries » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:29 pm

On that note, if anybody has been admitted to NYU-Courant and has ruled it out, please consider declining your offer - you could make somebody on the waitlist's dream come true!

complexcat

Post by complexcat » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:38 pm

discretephenom wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:33 am
Happy for you! Congratulations!

finite

Post by finite » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:00 am

huheimengjiang wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:01 pm
finite wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:46 pm
EG5 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:06 pm
Has anyone heard anything from CUNY?
They've sent out the first round of offers and they may prepare another shortlist in early April.
If you got the offer from CUNY but not going, please decline. I appreciate it!
I haven't gotten an offer. I'm also waiting for their April shortlist. All the best!

mishania1996

Post by mishania1996 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:10 am

Any ideas if Boston Uni has done with sending offers?

hanzr

Post by hanzr » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:02 am

Does anyone heard from UCSB? I received an email from a professor asking me if I was still interested last week but no response after that.

mlpwas100

Post by mlpwas100 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:27 am

hanzr wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:02 am
Does anyone heard from UCSB? I received an email from a professor asking me if I was still interested last week but no response after that.
nope. nothing :(
last e-mail I received was 11 days ago letting me know that I was on the waitlist.

lambert

Post by lambert » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:16 pm

wth961209 wrote:

Looks to me like the usual Russian way of sending curt messages. I know a few Russians in my department who tend to send these blunt, 3-words-max emails to their students which makes them sound like assholes, but they're very nice and friendly in real life. Don't take this as an indication of anything.

IMO it's better than the usual bullshit they write in their rejection letters. Every year was the hardest year ever to make decisions because they had the biggest pool ever and the most amazing students ever, or somesuch. Matter of fact is they chose someone over you and you have no way of knowing how close you were (unless you got waitlisted). Their last line "wish you the best in your future endeavors" sounds more like "alright **** off now". Can't blame them when they only care about ~ 20 people out of a pool of 500 applicants, but I'd take Russian curtness over generic artificial politeness any day

hiwasaki

Post by hiwasaki » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:53 pm

If anyone who got into Stanford and is intending not to go there please decline the offer! :'(

gokulbhusal

Post by gokulbhusal » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:22 am

I got accepted to Michigan State University. Can anyone share anything about MSU. I have other offers as well and I am having a hard time which to choose.

EricAndre

Post by EricAndre » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:51 am

gokulbhusal wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:22 am
I got accepted to Michigan State University. Can anyone share anything about MSU. I have other offers as well and I am having a hard time which to choose.
gratz

davis7e

Post by davis7e » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:59 am

gokulbhusal wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:22 am
I do not attend MSU but I have a few buddies who do. What would you like to know? I may be able to help.

vzlamath

Post by vzlamath » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:52 pm

If you were admitted to the CAAM PhD at Rice and do not plan to attend: please, please decline as soon as possible. It is my top choice!