NYU Courant Math Master Or Columbia APAM Applied Math Master?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
ZongyuWu

NYU Courant Math Master Or Columbia APAM Applied Math Master?

Post by ZongyuWu » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:45 am

Hi guys,

I was recently accepted by the math master program in nyu courant and applied math master program in columbia apam. I have been considering on this for several days, can somebody share your opinions with me?

My goal(till now) is to do research in applied mathematics, and I will(I think) apply for phd program in applied math or math after graduation. I am interested in applied math, pde, analysis, etc. Here are some information about those two programs.

1. The Courant Institute is ranked 1st in applied math, while Columbia has its general reputation.

2. Courant offers students the opportunity to write a thesis if I can get a GPA above 3.7 on 18 credits, while APAM has a MS Research Specialization for students interested in it.

3. I can apply for TA in Courant while it's not possible in Columbia.

I prefer the Courant Institute for its high ranking in applied math, but people around me have different ideas preferring Columbia for its name.

Looking forward to your sharings and pls let me know if there are any more information I can share!

discretephenom

Re: NYU Courant Math Master Or Columbia APAM Applied Math Master?

Post by discretephenom » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:41 am

The masters program at a Courant within Courant doesn’t have a great reputation. As I understand it the masters students dont often get TA positions and professors don’t seem to like engaging with them, though that will depend on professor.

That said, an applied mathematics degree from Courant is the best of the best. I know plenty of kids who did a five years undergrad and masters there and go on to top schools.

I can’t comment on the masters program at Columbia.

Regarding your decision, I would try to ask the program head about placement of graduate students for PhD programs.

ZongyuWu

Re: NYU Courant Math Master Or Columbia APAM Applied Math Master?

Post by ZongyuWu » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:58 pm

Thanks! I think I have made my decision by now, the courant. It's true that some required courses in the master program is undergraduate level, but as I discussed with the director, it's possible to skip or substitute some courses with phd level courses if I can convince him of my knowledge in that course.