GRE subject test

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
bxbdhdj

GRE subject test

Post by bxbdhdj » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:10 pm

I heard from my friends in physics that most Physics PhD programs this year do not accept GRE general or subject test for application. Do you guys think there's any chance that math programs will do so?

LogiKid

Re: GRE subject test

Post by LogiKid » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:24 pm

It's probably still to your advantage to do the test if possible. If you do well, you can submit your score and it will boost your application. If you do badly, hopefully you would not be required to submit a score.

Are we sure that the September / October administrations of the test are definitely going ahead? I don't want a repeat of April :evil:

SmallRedBird

Post by SmallRedBird » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:08 am

LogiKid wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:24 pm
Are we sure that the September / October administrations of the test are definitely going ahead? I don't want a repeat of April :evil:
No, no one's sure. All anyone can really do is sign up and prepare thinking there'll be no more cancellations or further obstacles. It also seems not every testing center that usually is made available for it is taking people right now, though (ex. the New York area). There's definitely a level of uncertainty on both ends.

ndgent

Post by ndgent » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:48 pm

It looks like ETS is allowing the general test to be taken at home on a computer, so I would think most schools will still require this portion. However, a couple of schools I'm looking at have already said they aren't requiring the subject test this year, though they still 'highly recommend' taking it if possible. I'm hoping more schools follow suit, since the Sept/Oct subject tests aren't being offered in my state or the surrounding states, and finding someone whose able to administer the test at a 'supplementary testing center' may not be possible.

2eurokebab

Post by 2eurokebab » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:22 pm

ndgent wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:48 pm
It looks like ETS is allowing the general test to be taken at home on a computer, so I would think most schools will still require this portion. However, a couple of schools I'm looking at have already said they aren't requiring the subject test this year, though they still 'highly recommend' taking it if possible. I'm hoping more schools follow suit, since the Sept/Oct subject tests aren't being offered in my state or the surrounding states, and finding someone whose able to administer the test at a 'supplementary testing center' may not be possible.
What schools if you don't mind me asking? Because im applying from abroad and the testing is a complete sh*tshow here

bxbdhdj

Post by bxbdhdj » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:49 pm

2eurokebab wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:22 pm
ndgent wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:48 pm
What schools if you don't mind me asking? Because im applying from abroad and the testing is a complete sh*tshow here

Some of the top program turned GRE sub as optional. AFAIK, Princeton, Berkeley, UChicago... all did. I believe more school will follow that. Just check on the official website of the math depart of different schools. However they do say it is recommended to submit a score if possible. But I think that's pretty unfair since test availability varies a lot from areas and also there are some people who have taken a gap year or so and already have a score before. For those physics program, they are actually reject submission of GRE scores and said that will not be taken into consideration at all. I hope math programs can follow that. But who knows.