Profile evaluation: switching from physics to pure math

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
MolecularCaterpillar

Profile evaluation: switching from physics to pure math

Post by MolecularCaterpillar » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:49 am

(also posted in applicants profile post)

I'm a physics major in an Asian school (not sure how well-known my school is in the US) but halfway through my degree, I started taking upper division math courses. Completed 5 so far (intro to topology, differential geometry, abstract algebra, representation theory of finite groups, real analysis up to Lebesgue integrals, all As) and will take 6 more (including 2 grad courses in geometry/topology) this year.

I'm now doing some independent study with a professor (should be somewhat famous in his field?) in algebraic topology and a senior project on quantization with another math professor. Also did a summer research project on supersymmetry with a physics professor in the US. These 3 profs will be writing my letters. The second and third one should be strong, not sure about the first one (he has been quite ambiguous on this matter)

I'm be applying to following schools for pure math phd in geometry/topology

U Chicago
LSGNT
UT Austin
U Mich
Maryland
Stony Brook
Utah
IU Bloomington
UIUC
Ohio
UVA
Vanderblit

How realistic is this list? I'll love to see some comments on my profile

defen

Re: Profile evaluation: switching from physics to pure math

Post by defen » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:13 pm

You need a bunch of safety schools in your list.

MolecularCaterpillar

Post by MolecularCaterpillar » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:32 pm

defen wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:13 pm
You need a bunch of safety schools in your list.
Thanks! I have that feeling as well :( ,so I plan to apply to a masters degree (MPhil) in my home institution and talking to the professors, I'm somewhat confident that I can get in. But I'd also love to hear about safety schools in the US, do you have any suggestions? What rankings do you think I should be looking at for safety and match?

defen

Post by defen » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:47 am

I don't know about good matches for your research interests, but you should look at the departments of: Oregon, Oregon State, Iowa, Kansas State, Nebraska-Lincoln, Colorado State, Connecticut for a start, and see if any have multiple faculty you'd like to work with. Then go down the rankings and look for more safeties that match your interests. Mid 50s and down would be safe in a normal year, but there are fewer graduate slots this cycle overall.

By the way: judging by your profile, you'd do fine at any of the schools you listed, but you belong to the worst possible demographic in the eyes of US admissions committees. I think Canada and Europe are far saner in this respect.