Prefilled GRE scores due to last year applications

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
karlweierstrass

Prefilled GRE scores due to last year applications

Post by karlweierstrass » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:11 am

Last edited by karlweierstrass on Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

pkzrd

Re: Prefilled GRE scores due to last year applications

Post by pkzrd » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:26 am

karlweierstrass wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:11 am
I applied to a couple of schools last year and I had reported my GRE General and GRE Subject test scores back then. Some of them still have my scores on their portal with the status: Verified.

I am unable to delete those scores and the scores are not so great. Will it affect my chances? What should I do?

Thanks!

PS: I am an international student and my subject GRE score is somewhere in the 60th percentile which is a HUGE NO in normal times.
Here's my 2c -

(i) Assuming you were rejected by these schools -

You should have something new like extra courses or publications to supplement your previous applications - then you'll be fine. If your application haven't changed from last year, what do you hope to accomplish by re-applying? In another words - how can you expect an acceptance from a school in which you were rejected with identical credentials, in a more competitive application cycle?

(ii) If you were accepted, then in that case you will likely be accepted again.

karlweierstrass

Post by karlweierstrass » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:16 am

Last edited by karlweierstrass on Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

pkzrd

Post by pkzrd » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:39 am

karlweierstrass wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:16 am
pkzrd wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:26 am
karlweierstrass wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:11 am
I applied to a couple of schools last year and I had reported my GRE General and GRE Subject test scores back then. Some of them still have my scores on their portal with the status: Verified.

I am unable to delete those scores and the scores are not so great. Will it affect my chances? What should I do?

Thanks!

PS: I am an international student and my subject GRE score is somewhere in the 60th percentile which is a HUGE NO in normal times.
Here's my 2c -

(i) Assuming you were rejected by these schools -

You should have something new like extra courses or publications to supplement your previous applications - then you'll be fine. If your application haven't changed from last year, what do you hope to accomplish by re-applying? In another words - how can you expect an acceptance from a school in which you were rejected with identical credentials, in a more competitive application cycle?

(ii) If you were accepted, then in that case you will likely be accepted again.
Well, I earned a master's degree from a top university this year. So, I guess that changes things significantly since my bachelor's uni is relatively unknown. So overall I have an advantage.

Now if I submit my scores, it will definitely negatively impact my application. Why shouldn't I just use my advantage? More importantly, why should I show my weakness? Isn't it better to not show my bad GRE scores in a cycle when the scores are optional? I'd definitely have gotten a better score if the October test wasn't canceled, so I don't see I'm cheating anyone by doing this.
Graduate grades are inflated. If you have a master's degree the admission committee will likely hold you to a higher standard especially from a top university. They will expect thesis, publication and much more research experience - you just have to focus on this. It's a moot point focusing on a mere score. Furthermore, if your application was seriously considered in the last application cycle, the admission committee will likely remember your GRE scores once they see your application again.