Phone number in application

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
kahdk

Phone number in application

Post by kahdk » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:33 pm

Hi. I recently saw some posts here saying that they got offer/interview call via phone. So I am wondering is this the frequent case for admission? Because I will be traveling to other countries soon (not a good time ikr), and i will not be using my US number for a while. Idk if i should update an international number in the portal. Thanks.

pkzrd

Re: Phone number in application

Post by pkzrd » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:33 pm

kahdk wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:33 pm
Hi. I recently saw some posts here saying that they got offer/interview call via phone. So I am wondering is this the frequent case for admission? Because I will be traveling to other countries soon (not a good time ikr), and i will not be using my US number for a while. Idk if i should update an international number in the portal. Thanks.
For my interview, I was first contacted by email from a professor to schedule a time/date and get my phone number. Don't be too paranoid, I'm sure if a program wants to talk to you for an interview they will try to contact you one way or another.

kahdk

Post by kahdk » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:12 pm

pkzrd wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:33 pm
kahdk wrote:
For my interview, I was first contacted by email from a professor to schedule a time/date and get my phone number. Don't be too paranoid, I'm sure if a program wants to talk to you for an interview they will try to contact you one way or another.
Thanks! That's what I thought as well.

pkzrd

Post by pkzrd » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:48 am

kahdk wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:12 pm
pkzrd wrote:
kahdk wrote:
Thanks! That's what I thought as well.
:D Good luck to you.

Albert_Eisenstein

Post by Albert_Eisenstein » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:49 am

pkzrd wrote:
kahdk wrote:
There are interviews in math PhD programs? That's news to me!

pkzrd

Post by pkzrd » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:19 pm

Albert_Eisenstein wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:49 am
pkzrd wrote:
kahdk wrote:
It seems this is more common among some programs than others. UC Irvine is one of the schools known to have interviewed almost everyone that they have admitted based on track record. Others are Oxford, Caltech, Michigan, Toronto, Colorado, etc.

Albert_Eisenstein

Post by Albert_Eisenstein » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:53 pm

pkzrd wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:19 pm
Albert_Eisenstein wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:49 am
pkzrd wrote:

It seems this is more common among some programs than others. UC Irvine is one of the schools known to have interviewed almost everyone that they have admitted based on track record. Others are Oxford, Caltech, Michigan, Toronto, Colorado, etc.
Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that Mich and Caltech did interviews for their math PhD programs. Are you aware of when they send interview invites for these programs? Thanks!