Ohio living cost

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
karlweierstrass

Ohio living cost

Post by karlweierstrass » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:10 pm

Hi all!

I have been offered a place at OSU with funding of 21,280$ for 9 months and 4,000$ summer support. Is 25,280$ enough to sustain a year? How much is the average living cost ( accommodation+ food+ other stuff) for students there?

I think we can possibly make this a thread too, having living costs estimates for different universities, but I am not sure if this is the right platform.

Apologies if this is not relevant. Cheers!

confused.graduate

Re: Ohio living cost

Post by confused.graduate » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:21 pm

karlweierstrass wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:10 pm
Hi all!

I have been offered a place at OSU with funding of 21,280$ for 9 months and 4,000$ summer support. Is 25,280$ enough to sustain a year? How much is the average living cost ( accommodation+ food+ other stuff) for students there?

I think we can possibly make this a thread too, having living costs estimates for different universities, but I am not sure if this is the right platform.

One can almost say you are being totally insensitive - do you know how many of us did NOT get an offer from Ohio State? It almost feels like you are TRYING to rub it in posting this one the day of being accepted. You have three months left to do your own research why post here of all places? It's not like any of these data are not publicly available on the internet. Try citdata, reddit or somewhere else.

thumbs down

karlweierstrass

Post by karlweierstrass » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:29 pm

confused.graduate wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:21 pm
karlweierstrass wrote:
Hi all!

One can almost say you are being totally insensitive - do you know how many of us did NOT get an offer from Ohio State? It almost feels like you are TRYING to rub it in posting this one the day of being accepted. You have three months left to do your own research why post here of all places? It's not like any of these data are not publicly available on the internet. Try citdata, reddit or somewhere else.

thumbs down
Hi! First of all, sorry on my behalf. I did not realize I was being insensitive. Ohio is my top choice and I had applied to only 5 places due to limited funds at my disposal. I never thought I'd get into OSU. I got really excited and I had no idea where to find living expenses. I am an international applicant and this site was the only source known to me. Thanks for clarifying. I will take my post down.

Apologies!

pkzrd

Post by pkzrd » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:56 pm

confused.graduate wrote:
One can almost say you are being totally insensitive - do you know how many of us did NOT get an offer from Ohio State? It almost feels like you are TRYING to rub it in posting this one the day of being accepted.
I'm not going to debate about the validity of your argument, but - I wish people I know in real life are as blunt as you are speaking their minds instead of hiding it. At least that way we get to know how they actually feel instead of playing whac-a-mole.

Catalan

Post by Catalan » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:23 pm

Hi karlweierstrass! I do not know the answer to your question but I just wanted to say in my opinion this is a totally reasonable question and it is completely valid to ask! If other people are unjustifiably bitter because you are trying to figure out if you'll have enough of a stipend to get by, that is their problem not yours. Good luck with grad school everyone!

Cheers

lebesgueboy98

Post by lebesgueboy98 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:51 pm

confused.graduate wrote:
karlweierstrass wrote:
Hi all!

thumbs down
Never mind this
Last edited by lebesgueboy98 on Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

kahdk

Post by kahdk » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:23 pm

lebesgueboy98 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:51 pm
confused.graduate wrote:
karlweierstrass wrote:
Hi all!

thumbs down
@confused.graduate ... sorry but you need to chill TF out, this is an online forum for help, and the original poster was in no way being rude with the post. The original post was very informative, and if you think THIS is rude or insensitive then you have every reason NOT to look at this page. If people getting admitted to graduate programs and posting their stats offends you, then I think the issue here is your attitude.
Yeah just chill bro. I can understand your feeling but you dont need to be like this. This is an online forum about grad admission so you should anticipate these kind of situations happening. Just relax, the game has just begun and always keep positive.

confused.graduate

Post by confused.graduate » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:35 pm

lebesgueboy98 wrote:
confused.graduate wrote:
karlweierstrass wrote:
Hi all!

thumbs down
@confused.graduate ... sorry but you need to chill TF out, this is an online forum for help, and the original poster was in no way being rude with the post. The original post was very informative, and if you think THIS is rude or insensitive then you have every reason NOT to look at this page. If people getting admitted to graduate programs and posting their stats offends you, then I think the issue here is your attitude.
It's easy to be a hypocrisy when you guys actually have gotten in, what a joke. Just like it's easy for someone that's making a million a year to tell someone living from paycheck-to-paycheck to "save money and stop spending." Shut your front traps.

crystal_math

Post by crystal_math » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:57 pm

karlweierstrass wrote:
Hi all!

Congratulations!! I recommend reaching out to current students at OSU or even asking the grad coordinator (maybe they have someone who can answer such questions).

pkzrd

Post by pkzrd » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:05 pm

confused.graduate wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:35 pm
lebesgueboy98 wrote:
confused.graduate wrote:

thumbs down
It's easy to be a hypocrisy when you guys actually have gotten in, what a joke. Just like it's easy for someone that's making a million a year to tell someone living from paycheck-to-paycheck to "save money and stop spending." Shut your front traps.
Being straight-forward is one thing but being bitter and jealous is another. IMHO you should keep your emotions under control otherwise you won't enjoy your upcoming days in academia and even more so in the industry - there's always someone better/smarter/harder-working out there (I'm at a department where I'm just a fish in the barrel and all the graduate students are like at LVL MAX). You just have to accept reality.

Go take a walk, play some games, watch some tv shows. Chill out, relax and be patient.

lebesgueboy98

Post by lebesgueboy98 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:50 pm

pkzrd wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:05 pm
confused.graduate wrote:
lebesgueboy98 wrote:

Being straight-forward is one thing but being bitter and jealous is another. IMHO you should keep your emotions under control otherwise you won't enjoy your upcoming days in academia and even more so in the industry - there's always someone better/smarter/harder-working out there (I'm at a department where I'm just a fish in the barrel and all the graduate students are like at LVL MAX). You just have to accept reality.

Go take a walk, play some games, watch some tv shows. Chill out, relax and be patient.
Well said!

karlweierstrass

Post by karlweierstrass » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:06 am

Thank you all for your support. I have decided not to take this post down. The offer says there will be a virtual campus visit on 12th & 13th March. I will ask the grad coordinator then and update my post accordingly. Meanwhile, I have also asked current grad students as well. Thank you all for your suggestions.

soo

Post by soo » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:22 am

Congrats! May I ask if the offer was the same after the 1st year?

Do stipends usually get cost of living increases in following years in general or are they fixed?

Columbus is reasonable for cost of living. University grad efficiencies start at 900 a month including utilities, less if you go off campus or share. Also see http://www.phdstipends.com/results where you can get a rough idea of the stipend vs cost of living at various universities.

karlweierstrass

Post by karlweierstrass » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:35 pm

soo wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:22 am
Congrats! May I ask if the offer was the same after the 1st year?

Do stipends usually get cost of living increases in following years in general or are they fixed?

Columbus is reasonable for cost of living. University grad efficiencies start at 900 a month including utilities, less if you go off campus or share. Also see http://www.phdstipends.com/results where you can get a rough idea of the stipend vs cost of living at various universities.
Funding amount is specified only for first year. The 9-months TAship gets renewed and increases each year upto 6 years upon satisfactory progress. Summer support is only guaranteed for first year though.

Cyclicduck

Post by Cyclicduck » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:14 pm

confused.graduate wrote:

Just because you failed to get in doesn't mean you should be so abusive to someone who has and is asking a totally legitimate question.
karlweierstrass wrote:
Hi all!

This is not a suitable question for this forum! Especially since there are many people reading this who haven't gotten into schools; you need to be respectful to them.

lebesgueboy98

Post by lebesgueboy98 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:13 pm

Cyclicduck wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:14 pm
confused.graduate wrote:

Just because you failed to get in doesn't mean you should be so abusive to someone who has and is asking a totally legitimate question.
karlweierstrass wrote:
Hi all!

This is not a suitable question for this forum! Especially since there are many people reading this who haven't gotten into schools; you need to be respectful to them.
Absolutely nothing wrong with asking this question here. This is a very valid question, what makes this ANY different than people posting their stats on the profile page bragging they got into XYZ with funding?

confused.graduate

Post by confused.graduate » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:34 am

lebesgueboy98 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:13 pm
Cyclicduck wrote:
confused.graduate wrote:

karlweierstrass wrote:
Hi all!

Absolutely nothing wrong with asking this question here. This is a very valid question, what makes this ANY different than people posting their stats on the profile page bragging they got into XYZ with funding?
Decision threads are made to be useful information for current applicants and future applicants, just like how all cars, cheap and expensive, are designed to be driven on roads. I didn't go out of my way by making a new thread that screams "hey [Toyota driver], do you think 500 horsepower is enough for my Ferrari?"

In another context, say if you are from an upper class family and has a roommate coming from a lower class. Sure, it's "totally okay" to buy expensive handbags, clothes, computers and what not. But do you think it's a considerate thing to do presence of your roommate? And on top of that, you asked her "hey [poor roommate], do you think my burberry clothes look nice on me?" when all she can afford is old navy.

Okay, maybe you are already accepted to OSU or you didn't even apply there at all. How do you think the people that actually applied there and have not yet gotten in yet feel when they see acceptances began rolling out? Sure, some of them might be like "whatevs", but most of us certainly feel a little down or bitter if you may. And then, this guy #karlweierstrass, just have to post a new thread on day 1 of his acceptance that screams: "hey fellow applicants (some didn't even hear back from anywhere yet), I just got into OSU with funding! do you think $2xxxx is enough?"

You've got to be kidding when you argue that this is totally fine, not being insensitive and totally appropriate. Ok whatever, it's useless talking with people with no consideracy to others' feelings.

kiramshorn

Post by kiramshorn » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:41 am

confused.graduate wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:34 am
lebesgueboy98 wrote:
Cyclicduck wrote:

Decision threads are made to be useful information for current applicants and future applicants, just like how all cars, cheap and expensive, are designed to be driven on roads. I didn't go out of my way by making a new thread that screams "hey [Toyota driver], do you think 500 horsepower is enough for my Ferrari?"

In another context, say if you are from an upper class family and has a roommate coming from a lower class. Sure, it's "totally okay" to buy expensive handbags, clothes, computers and what not. But do you think it's a considerate thing to do presence of your roommate? And on top of that, you asked her "hey [poor roommate], do you think my burberry clothes look nice on me?" when all she can afford is old navy.

Okay, maybe you are already accepted to OSU or you didn't even apply there at all. How do you think the people that actually applied there and have not yet gotten in yet feel when they see acceptances began rolling out? Sure, some of them might be like "whatevs", but most of us certainly feel a little down or bitter if you may. And then, this guy #karlweierstrass, just have to post a new thread on day 1 of his acceptance that screams: "hey fellow applicants (some didn't even hear back from anywhere yet), I just got into OSU with funding! do you think $2xxxx is enough?"

You've got to be kidding when you argue that this is totally fine, not being insensitive and totally appropriate. Ok whatever, it's useless talking with people with no consideracy to others' feelings.
You could be absolutely right that the OP's question was inappropriate for mathematics gre dot com, but that does not make it appropriate for you to go on a self-victimizing tirade. Like another user on this thread, you could made your point known and provided the OP with another place to answer their question.

I can tell you as someone who applied to U Chicago, a school that has also sent out a number of acceptances in the last month, that I feel absolutely no antipathy towards those who got in. Why? Because by applying to graduate school, I, like most applicants, intend on doing mathematics professionally. The users on this website, then, are my colleagues, some of whom I may work with in the future. As such, you should treat the users on this website with the same respect you give anyone else in the academy. From my professor's experiences, a very successful academic career will still consist mostly of rejections at every step of the way. Dealing with rejections is a crucial skill you will have to learn if you want to have any peace of mind in this profession.

I'm no psychoanalyst, but it seems to me like you're attaching quite a lot of your self-worth to these graduate admissions. It is noble of you to care that deeply about them, and I definitely find myself falling into this habit at times. However, as you have probably seen by browsing threads from years past, graduate admissions are, to a large extent, a crapshoot! Most applicants to these programs, myself included, are very mathematically undeveloped, and the admissions committee's don't have much to go on when evaluating research potential. Because of that, these decisions indicate absolutely nothing about you as a person or as a mathematician.

This thread has over 1000 views as I am writing this. Given your behavior, you should feel lucky that this forum is anonymous! The 1000 people who have viewed this thread only have a sour opinion of confused.graduate, and not of the person behind the screen. For our sake and yours, take some time off of this website and go do some math.

scrubm8

Post by scrubm8 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:05 pm

Cyclicduck wrote:
confused.graduate wrote:

karlweierstrass wrote:
Hi all!

Why are you sending out conflicting messages? This is unhelpful.

lebesgueboy98

Post by lebesgueboy98 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:37 pm

kiramshorn wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:41 am
confused.graduate wrote:
lebesgueboy98 wrote:

You could be absolutely right that the OP's question was inappropriate for mathematics gre dot com, but that does not make it appropriate for you to go on a self-victimizing tirade. Like another user on this thread, you could made your point known and provided the OP with another place to answer their question.

I can tell you as someone who applied to U Chicago, a school that has also sent out a number of acceptances in the last month, that I feel absolutely no antipathy towards those who got in. Why? Because by applying to graduate school, I, like most applicants, intend on doing mathematics professionally. The users on this website, then, are my colleagues, some of whom I may work with in the future. As such, you should treat the users on this website with the same respect you give anyone else in the academy. From my professor's experiences, a very successful academic career will still consist mostly of rejections at every step of the way. Dealing with rejections is a crucial skill you will have to learn if you want to have any peace of mind in this profession.

I'm no psychoanalyst, but it seems to me like you're attaching quite a lot of your self-worth to these graduate admissions. It is noble of you to care that deeply about them, and I definitely find myself falling into this habit at times. However, as you have probably seen by browsing threads from years past, graduate admissions are, to a large extent, a crapshoot! Most applicants to these programs, myself included, are very mathematically undeveloped, and the admissions committee's don't have much to go on when evaluating research potential. Because of that, these decisions indicate absolutely nothing about you as a person or as a mathematician.

This thread has over 1000 views as I am writing this. Given your behavior, you should feel lucky that this forum is anonymous! The 1000 people who have viewed this thread only have a sour opinion of confused.graduate, and not of the person behind the screen. For our sake and yours, take some time off of this website and go do some math.
Hear hear!

lebesgueboy98

Post by lebesgueboy98 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:39 pm

confused.graduate wrote:
lebesgueboy98 wrote:
Cyclicduck wrote:

Seriously you need to calm down. You’re making yourself look ridiculous, don’t get so offended. You already have an offer to a graduate program, many people don’t. Chill out please.

Cyclicduck

Post by Cyclicduck » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:01 pm

scrubm8 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:05 pm
Why are you sending out conflicting messages? This is unhelpful.
What are you talking about? I gave helpful pointers from different points of view. Your post is the one that's unhelpful...
kiramshorn wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:41 am

I respectfully disagree with everything you write, except that you are no psychoanalyst. Why do you say it is "noble" to care so deeply about such a thing? Of the various descriptions I can imagine of such an attitude, nobility is certainly not one of them. Furthermore, if this is a "noble" thing, why do you say in the same sentence that you "find myself falling into this habit at times", as if this were something bad? Are you really just able to "fall" into nobility? This sounds a bit disingenuous.

Second, it is absurd to just call these admissions just a crapshoot and that these indicate "absolutely nothing". An average applicant has had over TWENTY YEARS to learn math, with some of those years spent at a university with access to resources and professors who have dedicated much of their lives to math. This is absolutely not absolutely nothing.

Finally, you are making a big assumption when you say that "The 1000 people who have viewed this thread only have a sour opinion of confused.graduate". Assuming that essentially everyone should have the same view as you in an argument against someone else is not a good stance to take.
confused.graduate wrote:

Literally nobody is lording anything over you and telling you you should have worked harder to get in (which you probably should have). Don't make such false comparisons, especially to issues which are actually important in the world at large.

Cyclicduck

Post by Cyclicduck » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:04 pm

lebesgueboy98 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:37 pm
Hear hear!
lebesgueboy98 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:39 pm
Seriously you need to calm down. You’re making yourself look ridiculous, don’t get so offended. You already have an offer to a graduate program, many people don’t. Chill out please.
Why are you double-posting just to say "Hear hear!" and some other generic response that's already been repeated? You should understand that confused.graduate's issue is a serious one and that dismissing it in such a condescending way is not helpful. It's like the dinosaurs trying to sweet-talk the asteroid from exterminating their kind.

applepi

Post by applepi » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:58 pm

As a "toyota driver," I think 500 horsepower is too much for me.

All jokes aside, I think the point made by confused.graduate is valid and the logic is sound (that this thread is somewhat insensitive and inappropriate), but confused.graduate made everything more dramatic and toxic than it has to be.