Any international students in the forum?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
SSLyn34

Any international students in the forum?

Post by SSLyn34 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:28 pm

Hi there, I am an international student with degree outside the States. I am starting this topic here because I find it very strange that a couple of schools like MIT and UCLA so far have only made offers to American students or international students with US degrees... This really makes me worried and thus I would like to create a place where we can share/find useful information helpful to students like us.

I will start with what I know so far. For simplicity, when I say international students, I mean those students with degrees outside US.
Per gradcafe and this forum, OSU has released offers to international students (pure math)
Per this forum, at least one international student has received waitlist email from UChicago(pure math)
My friend read from some other forum that one international student received an unofficial offer from Durham (not sure whether it is pure or not)

For other users in this forum, I would really appreciate it if you can share with us whatever you heard from your department or other departments about offers to us international students! Good luck to everyone!!

Diagonal

Re: Any international students in the forum?

Post by Diagonal » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:10 pm

OSU sent letters to the applied track as well

bxbdhdj

Post by bxbdhdj » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:01 pm

I might be wrong but I heard many schools put international students in the same pool regardless where their bachelor degree is from, just for the reason of funding policy. But international students outside of US faces even more fierce competition and schools, especially top schools send only a handful of offers to that student type every year. I would say if no one else from your school has got into a certain program in previous years, your chance will be very low. But if there was, you got the chance. Not meant to be tough but I think that's just the brutal reality. That said, we should still keep in faith! Wish you get into some of your dream schools.

SSLyn34

Post by SSLyn34 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:23 pm

bxbdhdj wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:01 pm
I might be wrong but I heard many schools put international students in the same pool regardless where their bachelor degree is from, just for the reason of funding policy. But international students outside of US faces even more fierce competition and schools, especially top schools send only a handful of offers to that student type every year. I would say if no one else from your school has got into a certain program in previous years, your chance will be very low. But if there was, you got the chance. Not meant to be tough but I think that's just the brutal reality. That said, we should still keep in faith! Wish you get into some of your dream schools.

Thank you for sharing this in the forum! I really appreciate your help.