Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
WithinEpsilon

Re: Fall 2021 Sweat Thread

Post by WithinEpsilon » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:31 pm

ah1378 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:10 pm
WithinEpsilon wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:54 pm
ah1378 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:24 pm
Has anyone heard back from Rutgers after the last waitlists? It seems they have sent all offers.
I haven't heard anything yet. When the DGS asked if I was still interested he said that he expects to have more information near the middle of March.
Are you on the waitlist?
Yeah. I think it’s long though and I’m not ranked very high on it sooooooo you know. Still, until I get a rejection it’s a nonzero chance that they will admit me.

completely turing

Post by completely turing » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:40 pm

Can anyone confirm/deny if there are still slots left for the following six schools:

University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
UT Austin
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
University of British Columbia
UC Santa Barbara
UC San Diego

Based on GradCafe, it seems UCSD, UCSB, UBC, and UT have all given out first round offers whereas UMich has only had interviews and UMinn has not had anything. Anyone have any extra info for those of us who have heard nothing?

anynonymous_ferret

Post by anynonymous_ferret » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:59 pm

completely turing wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:40 pm
Can anyone confirm/deny if there are still slots left for the following six schools:

UT Austin
UC Santa Barbara
UC San Diego

Based on GradCafe, it seems UCSD, UCSB, UBC, and UT have all given out first round offers whereas UMich has only had interviews and UMinn has not had anything. Anyone have any extra info for those of us who have heard nothing?
I was admitted to Michigan yesterday, and a friend of mine on Thursday (groups: Number Theory and Algebraic Geometry).

dumbquestionsonly

Post by dumbquestionsonly » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:24 pm

Does anyone know whether Michigan has interviewed people in topology?

Weil98

Post by Weil98 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:32 pm

completely turing wrote:

UT Austin
UC Santa Barbara
UC San Diego

Are you sure UBC has given all their first round offers?

iliketopology

Post by iliketopology » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:37 pm

Does anyone on here have offers from either Boston College or Tufts? I'm on the waitlist for both of them (I only heard from BC after poking them though).

quanticbolt

Post by quanticbolt » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:26 pm

Has anyone heard anything from Toronto? I poked them a week ago but no response. There's nothing really substantial on gradcafe either.

PajamaSam

Post by PajamaSam » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:18 pm

completely turing wrote:

UT Austin
UC Santa Barbara
UC San Diego

Could be wrong, but it sounds like Austin has NOT made all their first round offers yet (strictly speaking about pure math here). There are 2 people on this forum who claim to have received an offer. There are also 2 in gradcafe for pure math. User "asterac" posted in the sweat thread last week saying that they are still working to make offers and set things up. UT Austin is my #1 choice by a long shot and I'm praying with everything I have that I get in, or at least get waitlisted.

Specifically talking about UT, if anyone has anymore info to refute/confirm what I've said above ^, that would be great.

spacestone

Post by spacestone » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:49 pm

dumbquestionsonly wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:24 pm
Does anyone know whether Michigan has interviewed people in topology?
I was interested in topology/geometry and was interviewed earlier this week. I was admitted yesterday.

Albert_Eisenstein

Post by Albert_Eisenstein » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:33 am

anynonymous_ferret wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:59 pm
completely turing wrote:

UT Austin
UC Santa Barbara
UC San Diego

I was admitted to Michigan yesterday, and a friend of mine on Thursday (groups: Number Theory and Algebraic Geometry).
Congrats! Were you interviewed, or was it a direct acceptance? Thanks for your response.

Albert_Eisenstein

Post by Albert_Eisenstein » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:35 am

PajamaSam wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:18 pm
completely turing wrote:

UT Austin
UC Santa Barbara
UC San Diego

Could be wrong, but it sounds like Austin has NOT made all their first round offers yet (strictly speaking about pure math here). There are 2 people on this forum who claim to have received an offer. There are also 2 in gradcafe for pure math. User "asterac" posted in the sweat thread last week saying that they are still working to make offers and set things up. UT Austin is my #1 choice by a long shot and I'm praying with everything I have that I get in, or at least get waitlisted.

Specifically talking about UT, if anyone has anymore info to refute/confirm what I've said above ^, that would be great.
I also have the same feeling. Another thing to consider, is that UT doesn't inform people of waitlists or rejections. You have to email them yourself to figure out your status, if you haven't received an acceptance.

Albert_Eisenstein

Post by Albert_Eisenstein » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:38 am

quanticbolt wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:26 pm
Has anyone heard anything from Toronto? I poked them a week ago but no response. There's nothing really substantial on gradcafe either.
I am waiting on them too. I think their process might go all the way till March end this time. Also, they are known to ghost people who haven't been accepted, and you probably have to email them to find out about waitlists or rejections.

liuluck22

Post by liuluck22 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:51 am

Albert_Eisenstein wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:35 am
PajamaSam wrote:
completely turing wrote:

UT Austin
UC Santa Barbara
UC San Diego

I also have the same feeling. Another thing to consider, is that UT doesn't inform people of waitlists or rejections. You have to email them yourself to figure out your status, if you haven't received an acceptance.

I could confirm an international student receive an offer from UMich pure math.

sz9232

Post by sz9232 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:49 am

Albert_Eisenstein wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:35 am
PajamaSam wrote:
completely turing wrote:

UT Austin
UC Santa Barbara
UC San Diego

I emailed the DGS and he told me I was waitlisted. I think they are done with the first round.

Albert_Eisenstein

Post by Albert_Eisenstein » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:17 am

Hey, of those who emailed Cornell, did you email Professor Peeva or is there someone else? Thanks!

lineardokument

Post by lineardokument » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:44 am

Hey, I have an offer expiring soon. LSGNT has not contacted me since I applied. Should I tell them I have an expiring offer?
They say the latest they can reply is April....

anynonymous_ferret

Post by anynonymous_ferret » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:07 am

lineardokument wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:44 am
Hey, I have an offer expiring soon. LSGNT has not contacted me since I applied. Should I tell them I have an expiring offer?
The LSGNT has made its initial offers I believe (on Friday night). I'd recommend emailing about your chances (I think they have a ranked internal waitlist).

localminimum

Post by localminimum » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:31 am

Hello everyone! I was just notified via email that I have been waitlisted from NYU Courant. No word on where I am on the waitlist or how long it is, but I have asked. If anyone has been accepted there and is planning on rejecting, please do so sooner rather than later! I'm going to need to make a decision soon if I want to get housing at one of my other schools. Thanks!

castoroil

Post by castoroil » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:01 pm

babii wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:43 pm
Diagonal wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:28 pm
babii wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:04 pm
Has anyone heard from CU Boulder applied math?
They had interviews, sent unofficial acceptances. There is a virtual recruitment next week.
Oh well :( :( :(
I got waitlisted on Feb 15. Didn't see the email till today tho. It went to my spam folder.

iliketopology

Post by iliketopology » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:52 pm

Anyone know what's up with Cornell (pure)? It seems like there hasn't been a mass rejection yet, but if we haven't heard anything are we mostly thinking we didn't get in?

lineardokument

Post by lineardokument » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:29 am

anynonymous_ferret wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:07 am
lineardokument wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:44 am
The LSGNT has made its initial offers I believe (on Friday night). I'd recommend emailing about your chances (I think they have a ranked internal waitlist).
Thank you!

contingent

Post by contingent » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:07 pm

iliketopology wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:52 pm
Anyone know what's up with Cornell (pure)? It seems like there hasn't been a mass rejection yet, but if we haven't heard anything are we mostly thinking we didn't get in?
Due to your username I think this might be relevant to you. I emailed a potential GPI a while back (I probably should've posted this a long time ago) to discuss research and we got to talking about admissions, this was the response:

"Unfortunately, because of current financial situation, Cornell's graduate school put strict restrictions on the number of phd candidates that the math department can accept this year. (I think, we are allowed to accept only 4 or 5 students for all fields). Since we accepted a large number of students in rep-n theory and geometry in the past two years, the priority is given to candidates in other fields (analysis, logic, etc)."

Basically our chances at Cornell are extremely slim (I'm a geometry/topology prospective student), though this might actually be good news to others. Hope this helps.

applicantt

Post by applicantt » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:10 am

I poked UCLA last week to ask the status of the applicants who have no update. But they have not replied yet. If anyone gets any update, please let us know. :/

Albert_Eisenstein

Post by Albert_Eisenstein » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:34 am

iliketopology wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:52 pm
I emailed Cornell, and got a bad response which stated the obvious. While I asked about the status of my application, they evaded and simply said that more acceptances will be sent out in April.

Albert_Eisenstein

Post by Albert_Eisenstein » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:52 am

applicantt wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:10 am
I poked UCLA last week to ask the status of the applicants who have no update. But they have not replied yet. If anyone gets any update, please let us know. :/
Not surprised at all. UCLA has ghosted me ever since the start of the application process. They don’t seem to care too much about applicants, leaving us confused.

babii

Post by babii » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:56 pm

Anyone heard from UIC? Are they done sending out offers?

pkzrd

Post by pkzrd » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:29 pm

babii wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:56 pm
I know 2 (or maybe 3) people that haven't heard back from UIC. It's really hard to understand what admission committee have in their minds - one of them actually gotten into Brown and Austin but have gotten denied by Penn State and UConn while being ghosted by UIC, UCSB and UCD.

So unpredictable. Hang in there guys, the end is near (in a good way). :D

bannanagamma

Post by bannanagamma » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:32 pm

babii wrote:
Their first wave was last week. They have said that their incoming class is going to be rather small, so I’m not sure if they are done or not.

jjmb11

Post by jjmb11 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:01 pm

bannanagamma wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:32 pm
babii wrote:
Their first wave was last week. They have said that their incoming class is going to be rather small, so I’m not sure if they are done or not.
I poked last week and they told me I should hear early this week... nothing yet though

notaiscrim

Post by notaiscrim » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:16 pm

jjmb11 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:01 pm
bannanagamma wrote:
babii wrote:
I poked last week and they told me I should hear early this week... nothing yet though
Who did you email if you don't mind me asking? I emailed both dgs@math.uic.edu and Maureen Madden but got ghosted both times...

jjmb11

Post by jjmb11 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:32 pm

notaiscrim wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:16 pm
jjmb11 wrote:
bannanagamma wrote:

Who did you email if you don't mind me asking? I emailed both dgs@math.uic.edu and Maureen Madden but got ghosted both times...
Same email you used! It took almost a week for me to get a response.

jjmb11

Post by jjmb11 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:26 pm

Update about UIC, just received a waitlist spot. Really going to cross my fingers for this to work out, but not expecting much!

babii

Post by babii » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:10 pm

notaiscrim wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:16 pm
jjmb11 wrote:
bannanagamma wrote:

Last week I emailed the graduate director Julius Ross directly and got a response within that day. He said we should hear about the decision early this week. The waitlist is out btw. I think if you don't hear anything by today, you should email him for an update tmr.

scaredmaths

Post by scaredmaths » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:40 pm

Anyone know anything about Minnesota? Or can confirm the gradcafe acceptances?

lineardokument

Post by lineardokument » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:41 pm

Has anyone accepted an offer yet? Where are you going? :D

Albert_Eisenstein

Post by Albert_Eisenstein » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:17 am

scaredmaths wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:40 pm
Emailed them. Haven’t received a response yet.

asterac

Post by asterac » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:32 am

PajamaSam wrote:
completely turing wrote:

UT Austin
UC Santa Barbara
UC San Diego

We concluded our virtual visit events for prospies at UT today. Our grad advisor says, "To keep you in the loop: At this point the first round of offers to the Fall 2021 cohort is complete, but admissions season is far from over. Decisions are starting to come in, and there will likely be a second round of offers."

crystal_math

Post by crystal_math » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:50 am

Can anyone confirm if Stony Brook has released decisions?

quixotic_r4

Post by quixotic_r4 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:06 am

crystal_math wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:50 am
They're still doing interviews over the next few days, so it's safe to assume they haven't released all decisions, if any. Dunno if the interviews are being continued after this week or if they're prerequisite for admission.

crystal_math

Post by crystal_math » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:25 am

Has anyone else received invitation for an interview?

hormander

Post by hormander » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:07 am

Does it mean I'm doomed if no interview request from SUNY. :?

spacestone

Post by spacestone » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:07 am

crystal_math wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:25 am
Has anyone else received invitation for an interview?
I can confirm someone has received an interview invitation.

crystal_math

Post by crystal_math » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:17 am

hormander wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:07 am
Does it mean I'm doomed if no interview request from SUNY. :?
I'm wondering the same thing :( and someone was waitlisted yesterday (according to Gradcafe)

H.H

Post by H.H » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:21 am

quixotic_r4 wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:06 am
crystal_math wrote:
They're still doing interviews over the next few days, so it's safe to assume they haven't released all decisions, if any. Dunno if the interviews are being continued after this week or if they're prerequisite for admission.
I just got an email from Sam saying that all decisions have been finalized yesterday. So good luck everyone.

crystal_math

Post by crystal_math » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:30 am

H.H wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:21 am
quixotic_r4 wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:06 am
crystal_math wrote:
I just got an email from Sam saying that all decisions have been finalized yesterday. So good luck everyone.
Did they say interviews are pre–requisite for admissions?

jeffreygreenschtein

Post by jeffreygreenschtein » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:29 pm

Does anyone have any idea about where University of Georgia pure math is in their process? I have emailed but no response.

TheBlackMathGuy

Post by TheBlackMathGuy » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:31 pm

jeffreygreenschtein wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:29 pm
Does anyone have any idea about where University of Georgia pure math is in their process? I have emailed but no response.
I think they've gone through their first wave of offers. I received one from them about a month ago.

TheBlackMathGuy

Post by TheBlackMathGuy » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:32 pm

scaredmaths wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:40 pm
I think they're just now starting to send out offers. I received an offer from them a month ago, and received a financial aid package today.

TheBlackMathGuy

Post by TheBlackMathGuy » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:34 pm

completely turing wrote:

UT Austin
UC Santa Barbara
UC San Diego

Minnesota is just now starting to send out offers, I believe. I can't speak for the other schools.

quanticbolt

Post by quanticbolt » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:39 pm

I poked a different Toronto email. They are reviewing applications and decisions will be sent later this month or in early April. I actually suspect that based on the content of the reply I received that the postings from February on gradcafe are fake.