Need advice urgently!!

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
ananyaaroy1

Need advice urgently!!

Post by ananyaaroy1 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:07 am

Undergrad Institution:Sri Venkateswara College,University of Delhi,India
Major(s):Math
Minor(s):Physics,Chemistry
GPA:82%(DU doesnt have gpa system)
Position in Class: 1st in class and 2nd in University,South Campus with 90% aggregate and overall top 10-15
Type of Student: Indian female

Grad Institution:SVC,University of Delhi
Major:Math
Position:2nd
GPA:74%

GRE Scores:
Q: 730 (78%)
V: 590 (84%)
W: 4 (45%)
M: 600 (38%)(28-correct,12-incorrect)!!phew-dis is wat overconfidence does to u!!!

TOEFL Score:100(R25/L22/S26/W27)

Program Applying: Pure Math
Research Experience:starting a research internship at the Indian Statistical Institute, no publications yet but writing a paper in Analysis
Any Awards/Honors:Received Scholar badges in School, Ist in college in Bsc Math with 90% and 2nd in South campus and 2nd again in MSc math in University
Miscellaneous Points that Might Help: There was a computer problem during the gre test and got a letter from ETS confirming the same and I was given the option of retaking the test but could not do so due to other exams.similar problem happened during the toefl test.Great SOP and good recommendations but they're not well known. taken some advanced courses like measure and integration,functional analysis,etc and the overall standard of DU courses in math is very good.
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:was accepted last yr at LSE and Cambrdige for part 3 of the mathematical tripos but could not go due to lack of funding.I'm also very passionate about english literature.I've always had trouble with MCQ's and have a severe aversion for these type of qs.(any tips on dealing with these tests are most welcome!!)

Applying to Where:
JHU
Univ of wash-seattle
chicago
UCB
HArvard
Cornell
columbia
YAle
P.S-please tell me some other places to apply where my chances are high!!

smartiful

Re: Need advice urgently!!

Post by smartiful » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:47 am

What areas of maths are you interested in?

Do the following: Apply to places in Britain (no GRE required) and check for schools in the US/Canada who don't require the GRE. Your undergrad and grad results sound excellent, so don't worry too much just yet. The US top20 are probably out of reach this year due to your GRE results; but there is always the option of transferring after a year or so if you retake the GRE and get a decent score.

shivgan3

Post by shivgan3 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:42 am

Have you done 3+2 ie MSc or BS 4 years ?
your GRE scores are very good, you can aim high
Are you going in for MS or PhD
Take care that for MS sometimes you need 4 year bachelors, so clear that out with the universities.

JHU - Depends on area of research and the funding
Univ of wash-seattle
chicago
UCB
HArvard
Cornell -- good chances
columbia -- good chances
YAle

ananyaaroy1

Post by ananyaaroy1 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:51 am

@shivgan3: seems like u're making fun of me!!!!
I screwed my gre scores big big big time n u tell me they're good!!!Phew!
i did 3+2 (BSc n Msc) and applying for Phd......thinking of applying next yr again if i dont get admitted anywhere dis yr which is quite likely!!!just the thought of the tedious app process freaks me out!
n thinking of applying to univ of houston n a few in Uk as well apart from these.
n do u really think i've got a chance at cornell and columbia(I also applied for their second choice program but that's a master's in math finance)????
Last edited by ananyaaroy1 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

ananyaaroy1

Post by ananyaaroy1 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:56 am

@smartiful : thnks for ur advice! am considering applying to univ college,london,LSE and imperial college in UK and univ of Houston though i hope it's not too late. My interest is in analysis , measure theory, topology....
Realllllly Realllllly Hoping i get accepted at Cambridge this yr(I resubmitted my application for this year after last year's misfortune!!)

smartiful

Post by smartiful » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:10 am

ananyaaroy1 wrote:@smartiful : thnks for ur advice! am considering applying to univ college,london,LSE and imperial college in UK and univ of Houston though i hope it's not too late. My interest is in analysis , measure theory, topology....
Realllllly Realllllly Hoping i get accepted at Cambridge this yr(I resubmitted my application for this year after last year's misfortune!!)
Cambridge: I think Oct 15 is the deadline for Gates scholarships, which supports the bulk of international students. Department and College scholarships have similar deadlines. Imperial does have some scholarships for international students, but competition for these is probably harder than for the Gates scholarships. The fact that you mention UCL and LSE strongly suggests you haven't really looked at these places but instead at a university ranking? LSE is a good place though if you're interested in mathematical finance.

UK universities expect you to have somewhat well-defined research interests or, better still, specific projects. This obviously requires that you've taken some advanced courses (neither measure theory nor functional analysis are particularly advanced!), so this is a point you should emphasise in your application. I would strongly advise you to have a good think about your research interests and then apply to those unis that (i) can offer funding and (ii) have a suitable supervisor.

gaurav

Post by gaurav » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:25 pm

Hi ananya,

There are some schools in Canada where you might apply. UWaterloo is quite good in Analysis. University of British Columbia and UToronto are also very good. I don't think they ask for GRE. TOEFL should be good enough.

I'm also applying this year and would like to suggest you something about the forum. Many of the
comments and analysis you see here are by applicants themselves and so they might not be completely
correct. Some people consider a certain GRE score good enough and some do not.

But what you can be sure of is that the Admissions committee looks at the whole profile and not just GRE's or grades.
This is not my opinion but something you'll find on their websites.

Good luck with your applications.