Waitlist for Maryland (Pure Math)

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
moonshine

Waitlist for Maryland (Pure Math)

Post by moonshine » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:27 am

This topic is a sincere request to those who have got an offer from Maryland for pure math. If you have an offer from a high priority (than Maryland) school, please decline your offer at Maryland as soon as you are able. This will definitely help some of us. Thanks.

hornedsphere

Re: Waitlist for Maryland (Pure Math)

Post by hornedsphere » Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:44 pm

It would be of great help to some of us if people who have gotten offers from higher ranked schools withdraw their offers from Maryland

pengb99

Post by pengb99 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:38 am

moonshine wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:27 am
This topic is a sincere request to those who have got an offer from Maryland for pure math. If you have an offer from a high priority (than Maryland) school, please decline your offer at Maryland as soon as you are able. This will definitely help some of us. Thanks.
Did UMD sent out their waitlists?

josenelson13

Post by josenelson13 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:35 am

pengb99 wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:38 am
moonshine wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:27 am
Did UMD sent out their waitlists?

No. Only acceptances.

Hilbert9616

Post by Hilbert9616 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:58 pm

Do you guys know if UMD has already sent out all their offers or if there is an official waitlist?
I contacted them asking about my application, and they said "the review process is still ongoing." Does that mean I am waitlisted?
Also, did the open house at UMD already pass?

josenelson13

Post by josenelson13 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:58 pm

Hilbert9616 wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:58 pm
Do you guys know if UMD has already sent out all their offers or if there is an official waitlist?
I contacted them asking about my application, and they said "the review process is still ongoing." Does that mean I am waitlisted?
I thought they were done but I also emailed them this week and received the same answer as you did. What I understood from their email is that they are not done accepting students.

hornedsphere

Post by hornedsphere » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:30 pm

I don't want to scare anybody, but I had emailed the associate grad chair. He had initially said that I was 'high' on the waitlist and there was a good chance they would be making second round offers.
I emailed him again yesterday, and the response was a much somber one. He said that there are no current updates as of yet and there's a chance that like last year they may fill all their slots with just first round offers. So I really do not have any hopes as such and this was my only waitlist and only remaining option so cheers to me!!

pengb99

Post by pengb99 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:36 am

Hilbert9616 wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:58 pm
You could expect a waitlist only if a school have already distributed rejections. No rejections have been distributed from Maryland, so I think it is not a sign of waitlist.

watermelon117

Post by watermelon117 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:01 am

To anyone who received an offer from Maryland: if you do not plan to attend, could you turn down your offer?

I was told by the director of graduate studies that I was in the first group of consideration on the waitlist, yet they did not have enough declination from applicants to send out a second round of offers.

This can help students like me a lot. Thank you very much!!!

NumberField

Post by NumberField » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:57 am

watermelon117 wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:01 am
To anyone who received an offer from Maryland: if you do not plan to attend, could you turn down your offer?

I was told by the director of graduate studies that I was in the first group of consideration on the waitlist, yet they did not have enough declination from applicants to send out a second round of offers.

I have gone though a really tough and serious decision process, but I have just declined my offer from Maryland early this week, hope this will help you!

watermelon117

Post by watermelon117 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:30 pm

NumberField wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:57 am
watermelon117 wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:01 am

I have gone though a really tough and serious decision process, but I have just declined my offer from Maryland early this week, hope this will help you!
Thank you!!

hornedsphere

Post by hornedsphere » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:35 pm

Any updates from Maryland?

moonshine

Post by moonshine » Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:16 am

Not yet.