I can't decide which school to choose...

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Alanho

I can't decide which school to choose...

Post by Alanho » Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:05 am

Hi all!

I'm unable to choose between Michigan State, University of Pittsburgh and University of California, Santa Barbara. All of these schools have people who work in Analysis and PDEs and are ranked closely too. I'm unable to break ties and pick one.
Does anyone have any idea which one of these are more selective?
Moreover, are these actually comparable? How would you rank them in terms of prestige?

Cheers!

eamath

Re: I can't decide which school to choose...

Post by eamath » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:39 pm

Hi, If you search under petersons.com/graduate-schools.aspx you can get admissions rates for many departments (not all). I am unsure but some of this could be a little out of date but still useful. Searching this, Pitt comes in at 36% acceptance rate, and Michigan State and UCSB at 21%. It really depends on your background and whether these are meant to be safeties, matches, or reaches (maybe apply to 2 or 3 of them?). You could also check QS, Shanghai, etc rankings in addition to US News. In this case you may want to consider lifestyle preferences, as there are huge differences between these schools (city vs suburb, warm vs cold, etc). I would also check google scholar for several professors at each school and se how active they have ben recently, how their work has been received, and if you find the papers of interest. Good luck!