REJECT ME YOU COWARDS

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
hilberthotel

REJECT ME YOU COWARDS

Post by hilberthotel » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:42 am

8 out of the 10 places I applied to haven't gotten back to me.
Not even an official waitlist. Stupid diplomatic emails, even in March.
So yeah, reject me, you cowards!

Anyone else in the same boat?

veenzaan

Re: REJECT ME YOU COWARDS

Post by veenzaan » Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:35 pm

Hahahah yep basically the same boat. Heard officially from 2 out of 9 US schools. A couple othera have responded on mail to say that they've sent first round offers and *might* give more offers, but same no official waitilist.

I'm so annoyed particularly by UIUC - they've sent acceptances to some, have sent open house invites too. I've heard absolutely nothing from them, mailed them too but no response. I literally felt the title today lol just reject me at this point.

thyartismath

Post by thyartismath » Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:04 pm

I feel the same way.

I don’t think shelling over ~$135 per app entitles anyone to special treatment, but I’d argue that some regular communication is a reasonable expectation for all applicants involved. Only one out of the four programs I have applied to have even bothered trying in that regard.

I think they can do better.

fiveier.analysis

Post by fiveier.analysis » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:21 pm

I won't be going through this gruelling process until next year, but I already am feeling similar vibes from applying to REU programs.

My brother gone through this procedure for his physics Ph.D admissions years ago and I kind of brushed it off as "him being impatient" when he complained "these schools are so inconsiderate - if they know fosho that they won't be admitting me as a grad student then they should at least have some common courtesy and reject me already - at least that way I'll know but instead they leave me hanging" :P

(Skip this if you don't want me to bore you my bro's story)
>>>
Let's for the sake of story-telling say he applied to (among bunch of others) School A (tier 1) and School B (tier 1 bottom), a similar analogy in math maybe say Cornell vs Minnesota for say algebraic topology. He emailed even called School A couple times (in different days, and to different people) after knowing 1st round of offers came out but received dead silence meanwhile got accepted to School B in the first round. Later on in mid April, of course, he heard back from School A's director saying he's off the waitlist and accepted. Bro hasn't accepted any offers at that point but decided to attend school B instead because school A obviously didn't care about him and citing his words, "is a red flag". Hell, he said nowhere did he find out ever he was on the waitlist.

Is he being sentimental? Maybe. But now he almost has a Ph.D and is perfectly happy and got a postdoc lined up.
<<<

Honestly I think ams should just develop something similar to mathjobs.org instead for phd admissions. Imagine how much time it would save for professors (doing 10+ letters for each student) and students filling out applications. They can probably also automate the process by letting schools choose which student they want in ranked order like how med school admissions work.