Has anyone here deferred or thought about deferring?

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
colton

Has anyone here deferred or thought about deferring?

Post by colton » Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:32 pm

I see a lot of the math department websites say you can defer your acceptance for up to one year but that funding isn’t guaranteed at that point. I don’t want to risk deferring and having no funding at all assuming that I could only accept & defer for one program. Has anyone here ever done it or known someone that has? Could you share your experience if so?

corkquark

Re: Has anyone here deferred or thought about deferring?

Post by corkquark » Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:16 pm

BUMP

Koala0520

Post by Koala0520 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:31 pm

I asked Brown applied math if I can defer. They said yes, but admission cannot be guaranteed by then. I guess we have to go through the admission process again next year??

BangentTundle

Post by BangentTundle » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:23 pm

To what extent is it worth deferring a T20 (not T10) math PhD admission for a Cambridge MMath Part III?

asleep

Post by asleep » Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:02 pm

BangentTundle wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:23 pm
To what extent is it worth deferring a T20 (not T10) math PhD admission for a Cambridge MMath Part III?
I tried basically this last year haha, asked to defer a PhD to do a MS. They said no, but I mean doesn't hurt to try.
I assume there's better chance of being granted a deferral for certain reasons, doing another graduate degree is probably one of the more outlandish reasons.

xbq22

Post by xbq22 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:17 pm

BangentTundle wrote:
Whats youre end goal? If its just to go back to the PhD, then idk bc youre spending money on the MMath Part III program. Unless of course you have some funding covering it. If it's try your hand at a t10 school, then I'd say it might be worth it, but I also have no idea if it would make someone look like a jerk, to defer, and then refuse the offer of admission. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

FieldsMedalist

Post by FieldsMedalist » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:28 am

BangentTundle wrote:
So you are deferring to get into a T10 school next year? This by itself is pathetic, since as we always say your advisor is more important than the university prestige; plus T20 and T10 are not that different in terms of prestige.

If you are deferring bcz you would like to have a Cambridge part 3 experience, then this is worthwhile. Since it is a great program and a great experience overall.

BangentTundle

Post by BangentTundle » Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:56 pm

FieldsMedalist wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:28 am
BangentTundle wrote:
So you are deferring to get into a T10 school next year? This by itself is pathetic, since as we always say your advisor is more important than the university prestige; plus T20 and T10 are not that different in terms of prestige.

If you are deferring bcz you would like to have a Cambridge part 3 experience, then this is worthwhile. Since it is a great program and a great experience overall.
Yes I want to have the Cambridge experience and take a bunch of classes before beginning research at the PhD institution. I’m already happy with my advisor choice and dont wish to reapply

asleep

Post by asleep » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:09 pm

BangentTundle wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:56 pm
FieldsMedalist wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:28 am
BangentTundle wrote:

Yes I want to have the Cambridge experience and take a bunch of classes before beginning research at the PhD institution. I’m already happy with my advisor choice and dont wish to reapply
This was almost precisely my situation last year. I was very happy with my potential advisor, but wanted to defer the PhD offer for a year to take a bunch of classes at a larger engineering school, "widen my scope" per se (I'm in applied maths).

They didn't let me defer, but an advisor said he would vouch for me if I did reapply. I ended up doing the MS and I've enjoyed it, granted I am getting funded, so it hasn't cost me anything (actually getting more than my PhD stipend would've been ha). Have you asked? In that you have already confirmed they would let you defer?

Also, speaking to the other point, advisor is important, but I'd argue your quality of life is also. It's the next 4-6 years of your life, it's reasonable to want to be in a city/place you find enjoyable.