Indian IIT-JEE Books are pretty useful

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
Eternity

Indian IIT-JEE Books are pretty useful

Post by Eternity » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:02 am

Hey,

I just recently started practicing for my MATH GRE which probably towards the end of this year. I'm an international student who spends roughly half his hours online.

I just had a look into the questions in the Mathematics GRE Subject Test Books by Princeton Review and ETS. The problems and questions seem to be very similar both in syllabus and difficulty to standard problems in the IIT-JEE examination. For those indians preparing for the IIT-JEE, I'd advise you guys to pickup R.D.Sharma, Last 25 years IIT-JEE papers etc. Those books should give you a greater amount of practice (seeing that each of those books have > 10000 problems spread over similar syllabus).

For others,
Try to get such books if you run out of practice questions.

Weird analogy: Why do they ask 12th grade stuff(India-wise) in a test which partially determines admissions for a Master's program in USA?

I would have thought that they would at least ask linear/non-linear optimization/operations research questions.

kuz

Re: Indian IIT-JEE Books are pretty useful

Post by kuz » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:24 pm

Eternity wrote:Weird analogy: Why do they ask 12th grade stuff(India-wise) in a test which partially determines admissions for a Master's program in USA?

I would have thought that they would at least ask linear/non-linear optimization/operations research questions.
Why on earth would they ask those type of questions? It's hardly a standard course as part of a maths degree; most pure mathematicians would find it pretty much useless. I've never had to learn any operations research, and I can't say I would ever find it useful for my number theory research - and that's what the GRE is for: universities want to see how firm your background is before you start doing research for them.

As far as 12th grade stuff, well, there's no standardised university maths syllabus, so they have to dumb down the questions a bit. In the US, for example, linear algebra usually isn't seen until 2nd year uni, whereas in Australia it's a 1st year course (and plenty of linear algebra is taught in high school); similarly, a lot of the calculus is pretty simple/at an advanced high school level, but many universities might spend several courses on calculus leading up to multivariable calculus.