Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
marco

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Post by marco » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:02 pm

meredith wrote:So, I know all of you guys have been putting up with this for a couple of weeks now, but it's just starting to get close to the time when people have heard replies from the schools I'm applying to (according to grad cafe from previous years). However, I've been obsessing about it for a couple of weeks already and I'm starting to go crazy. Seriously.
Me too. It has been this way for the past couple of days. I don't even know why I have been obsessing so much on waiting for results that according to grad cafe have yet to arrive.
On another hand, I was pretty sure that we would from some schools today. But according to grad cafe...nothing.

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:29 pm

marco wrote:
meredith wrote:So, I know all of you guys have been putting up with this for a couple of weeks now, but it's just starting to get close to the time when people have heard replies from the schools I'm applying to (according to grad cafe from previous years). However, I've been obsessing about it for a couple of weeks already and I'm starting to go crazy. Seriously.
Me too. It has been this way for the past couple of days. I don't even know why I have been obsessing so much on waiting for results that according to grad cafe have yet to arrive.
On another hand, I was pretty sure that we would from some schools today. But according to grad cafe...nothing.
Me too. Except that I started going crazy over admissions quite a while back. It's been 7 weeks since I submitted all the applications. I try to spend as much time as I can working on my (Master's)thesis to avoid going through the email, MGRE, GC routine every few hours(minutes), but that is getting tougher and tougher.

arxndo

Post by arxndo » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:23 pm

Gasquet wrote:
arxndo wrote:Congrats to those who have received admits.

It seems like Applied Math PhD departments will be sending out decisions (much) later than Pure Math PhD departments. I've talked to a few professors in applied math and operations research programs, and they said they've only just barely begun to look at applications, and that decisions probably won't come out until mid-February, at the earliest. So for us Applied Math applicants, it looks like the wait will be a bit longer.
Could you mention which schools you are referring to?
Hey Gasquet,

I was referring to Northwestern ESAM and Princeton ORFE in particular. It seems like Northwestern ESAM results will be coming out any day now (next week?) but Princeton ORFE's results won't come until later.

tvboomer

Post by tvboomer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:24 pm

Just called UT Austin; although Dr. Knopf (the person in charge of admissions) was not in, I was told that admissions were to go out "this week"; so, whatever that means...

TheYoungin

Post by TheYoungin » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:47 pm

arxndo wrote:
Gasquet wrote:
arxndo wrote:Congrats to those who have received admits.

It seems like Applied Math PhD departments will be sending out decisions (much) later than Pure Math PhD departments. I've talked to a few professors in applied math and operations research programs, and they said they've only just barely begun to look at applications, and that decisions probably won't come out until mid-February, at the earliest. So for us Applied Math applicants, it looks like the wait will be a bit longer.
Could you mention which schools you are referring to?
Hey Gasquet,

I was referring to Northwestern ESAM and Princeton ORFE in particular. It seems like Northwestern ESAM results will be coming out any day now (next week?) but Princeton ORFE's results won't come until later.
I got my official letter from ESAM yesterday, but I'm not sure if they called anyone else yet. Also there were 150 applications for 10 spots.

rmg512

Post by rmg512 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:41 pm

Just checked my Buckeye Link page, and I've been accepted to OSU. I received no email to check my app status or acceptance letter, nor do I have any financial aid information.

generic_username

Post by generic_username » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:23 pm

Received letter from OSU today, so they are in the mail. includes financial info and open house info.

allin1

Post by allin1 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:02 pm

generic_username wrote:Received letter from OSU today, so they are in the mail. includes financial info and open house info.

to the two posts right above this:

did your acceptance letters specify if that was for pure math or applied one? do you think they have sent out letters to international applicants already?

My Buckeye page still shows that department internal procedure is incomplete. :cry:

winterman62

Post by winterman62 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:21 pm

My Buckeye is the same, still incomplete. Hopefully they haven't finished the first wave of acceptances yet!

generic_username

Post by generic_username » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:10 pm

The letter simply states that I have been accepted to OSU department of mathematics PhD program. I obviously can't say whether the first wave is done, but I do know a few OSU faculty, one who had previously guaranteed me a spot, so I do know my application would have been processed with ease.

allin1

Post by allin1 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:19 pm

generic_username wrote:The letter simply states that I have been accepted to OSU department of mathematics PhD program. I obviously can't say whether the first wave is done, but I do know a few OSU faculty, one who had previously guaranteed me a spot, so I do know my application would have been processed with ease.

I think they are done with the first wave. The grad coordinator said that they were sorting out 20 out of 360 applicants and I saw at least 7 of them in the grad cafe so far. Also I was told that I would not be hearing anything until March. I am not really sure if this was so called "until March" excuse to sooth me or I actually AM at the end of waitlist.

marco

Post by marco » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:59 pm

I think it would be safe to say that next week is going to be one of a lot of decisions. What do you guys think?
Which schools do you think are next in sending decisions? We should bet on it to make some fun out of this whole situation :P .

Nr

Post by Nr » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:02 pm

I hope UIUC makes it move next week ...

rmg512

Post by rmg512 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:19 pm

Nr wrote:I hope UIUC makes it move next week ...
Me too. Either that or Purdue or UCSD. Those would be great! :D

marco

Post by marco » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:22 pm

I hope Duke makes it's move next week.

rmg512

Post by rmg512 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:23 pm

allin1 wrote:
generic_username wrote:Received letter from OSU today, so they are in the mail. includes financial info and open house info.

to the two posts right above this:

did your acceptance letters specify if that was for pure math or applied one? do you think they have sent out letters to international applicants already?

My Buckeye page still shows that department internal procedure is incomplete. :cry:
1. I didn't get a letter. I applied for the Ph.D., which I think is just "Mathematics" with no Pure or Applied label, though I'm wanting to do algebra, so I'm under the Pure umbrella.
2. I have no clue.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you'll get in. I'll probably decline Ohio as soon as I get in somewhere else. Though, in that case, I wouldn't get an all expenses paid trip to Columbus, and an all expenses paid trip to Columbus to see some of my friends I haven't seen in a while would be fun...

Nr

Post by Nr » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:51 pm

There is one thing that makes me wonder,

Last year most universities announced, along with their acceptances, some wait-lists.
You can easily see it in last years results.

But this year it seems things have changed.
Almost, no one got "officially" wait-listed. The grad directors are just saying we have to wait without specifying who still has a chance and who is definitely out.

I am wondering why are they doing this.

Anyone has any idea ???

tvboomer

Post by tvboomer » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:17 am

Nr wrote:There is one thing that makes me wonder,

Last year most universities announced, along with their acceptances, some wait-lists.

Almost, no one got "officially" wait-listed. The grad directors are just saying we have to wait without specifying who still has a chance and who is definitely out.

Anyone has any idea ???
My guess on this is that these schools make an initial round of offers to the most-competitive candidates--people who have a chance at schools in the top 5--to see if they bite. After the lower-ranked schools (like OSU) are turned down by these exceptional applicants, they have a better idea of how many offers they can make for candidates more in their "price range", and can start rejecting/offering/waitlisting from there. That's just a hunch, though, and not based on any factual information whatsoever.

Euler

Post by Euler » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:35 am

tvboomer wrote:
Nr wrote:There is one thing that makes me wonder,

Anyone has any idea ???
My guess on this is that these schools make an initial round of offers to the most-competitive candidates--people who have a chance at schools in the top 5--to see if they bite. After the lower-ranked schools (like OSU) are turned down by these exceptional applicants, they have a better idea of how many offers they can make for candidates more in their "price range", and can start rejecting/offering/waitlisting from there. That's just a hunch, though, and not based on any factual information whatsoever.
But many top schools also do this.. for example Chicago and MIT

JonMLTR

Post by JonMLTR » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:35 am

marco wrote:I think it would be safe to say that next week is going to be one of a lot of decisions. What do you guys think?
Which schools do you think are next in sending decisions? We should bet on it to make some fun out of this whole situation :P .
I want to believe that too...

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:45 am

marco wrote:I think it would be safe to say that next week is going to be one of a lot of decisions. What do you guys think?
According to the last few years, the first wave of Columbia APAM, Brown DAM, Washington Applied and Princeton PACM are expected in the first two weeks of February .

In the first week, Maryland AMSC will send their request for more information. :roll:
Last edited by Gasquet on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nr

Post by Nr » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:48 am

I go with Eulers argument
Mit, Chicago, Northwestern, Austin, ...
they are all quite "top", but we can't see any wait-list in either one of them (opposed to last years)

selcuk2459

Post by selcuk2459 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:48 am

I sent an email to Northwestern (pure math) and they told me that they made the first round offers, but I am not one of those. They also said that nobody is rejected yet and my file is still active. I know that I will be rejected anyway.

Eowyn

Post by Eowyn » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:18 am

I do not know whether UIUC will start immediately from next week or not, but I emailled its graduate director a while ago, and he very kindly replied that they hope to make all decisions by the end of February. So may be it's not too much to hope that it will start within the next two weeks.

I also hope that Cornell ORIE makes its decisions done by the end of February... is anyone interested in that one?

throwaway123

Post by throwaway123 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:22 am

Since UIUC seems to have sent emails to some applicants indicating that the applicants' applications moved on to the second round, does not receiving one of these emails imply that an applicant won't be admitted first round?

Nr

Post by Nr » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:31 am

throwaway123:
that's what I was thinking about too ... but I don't think so.
I know for sure that last year approximately 150 students made it to the second round and I don't see any particular reason why this year is different. However, (at least here on this forum), there have been many rare cases of people getting this mail.
Even more, they are really strong applicants who already made it into MIT or Harvard and have applied to UIUC but haven't received this mail (or at least they didn't mention it) ...

What I think is that they send this mail to those student they are sure they will admit but fear will accept another offer in the meantime. So, they want to keep this group interested.

Of course, maybe they have some other reason for sending some this mail, but I still don't think that everybody else is out.

Eowyn

Post by Eowyn » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:51 am

I would also not like to give up all hopes for UIUC. I have a friend there and I have emailed her asking whether she had received any such emails last year... and if she gives me some definite reply, I'll post it here.

Anyway, the director of graduate studies in UIUC had told me about a week ago that they will take till at least late February to declare all results, so I think there's still quite a lot of chance that we shall hear from them.

On a different note, I just saw one admit into MIT off the waitlist today in Gradcafe. So if they have a waitlist, and if I have not been notified that I'm on that waitlist, does that mean that I have been rejected? But shouldn't they let me know properly that I have been rejected? Also the graduate coordinator told me to wait till March to hear from them... why would they unnecessarily prolong the pain of waiting? :cry:

Moreover, do you guys think that these universities have separate waitlists for international and domestic students?

generic_username

Post by generic_username » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:59 pm

got some rutgers today....weekends are no longer safe....

apollo

Post by apollo » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:06 pm

generic_username wrote:got some rutgers today....weekends are no longer safe....
It's the weirdest thing. I got an admit at 10 PM Thursday night!! An email from one of the profs. There's no rhyme or reason to these things I believe.

Eowyn

Post by Eowyn » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:30 pm

@throwaway123 : My friend currently studying in UIUC told me that she had received no such letter from UIUC before her official letter of acceptance, notifying her that she had reached the second round of selections.

She also told me that it is very unusual for UIUC to send out offers so soon in January. The bulk of the offers, she believes, is yet to be sent and we have to wait until at least the middle of February. So no point fretting about it from now on, although I myself cannot help the anxiety.

frgf

Post by frgf » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:44 pm

Eowyn wrote:@throwaway123 : My friend currently studying in UIUC told me that she had received no such letter from UIUC before her official letter of acceptance, notifying her that she had reached the second round of selections.

She also told me that it is very unusual for UIUC to send out offers so soon in January. The bulk of the offers, she believes, is yet to be sent and we have to wait until at least the middle of February. So no point fretting about it from now on, although I myself cannot help the anxiety.
Given this new information, now it be reassuring to hear of someone who was accepted to UIUC last year, who did get a notification from UIUC, notifying them that they had reached the second round of selection :)

JonMLTR

Post by JonMLTR » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:59 am

People are getting admits on saturday and sunday(Just saw one on grad cafe, an admit in a top university for the lab that I applied for) . I guess I should cross 2 universities off my list. I wish they would inform us rightaway if there is no chance of acceptance.

Eowyn

Post by Eowyn » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:09 pm

I agree with JonMLTR... one of my batch-mates and I have applied in MIT... and have heard back nothing from them yet. And there is already post on Gradcafe that states "acceptance off the waitlist". Well, if we have not got a rejection email, nor an email saying that we have been waitlisted, what does that even mean? When I asked Barbara Peskin, the grad coordinator, when I may expect to hear from them, she said it would most likely be March. Can anybody tell me whether that means I've been waitlisted?

Euler

Post by Euler » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:03 pm

Eowyn wrote:I agree with JonMLTR... one of my batch-mates and I have applied in MIT... and have heard back nothing from them yet. And there is already post on Gradcafe that states "acceptance off the waitlist". Well, if we have not got a rejection email, nor an email saying that we have been waitlisted, what does that even mean? When I asked Barbara Peskin, the grad coordinator, when I may expect to hear from them, she said it would most likely be March. Can anybody tell me whether that means I've been waitlisted?
It will be a good idea to ask the co-chairs of the admission committee other than a coordinator

Eowyn

Post by Eowyn » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:40 pm

Do you think it will be a good idea to email the graduate chairs or co-chairs, Euler? Or should we wait a bit longer? I do not know... it seems they may just get a bit pestered.... :-(

Euler

Post by Euler » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:52 pm

Eowyn wrote:Do you think it will be a good idea to email the graduate chairs or co-chairs, Euler? Or should we wait a bit longer? I do not know... it seems they may just get a bit pestered.... :-(
I am not sure..But I always get more useful information from the graduate chairs or co-chairs than some coordinators....
Last edited by Euler on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdesilva

Post by jdesilva » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:05 pm

As far as I know UIUC did not plan to have a waiting list system. The grad director says they make ~70 offers and whoever accepts is the entering class. (~30)

Edit: the grad chair is new this year, so the way things are run won't be the same as last year

marco

Post by marco » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:58 pm

Let's see what's in store for us tomorrow. Good luck to us all :P .

Eowyn

Post by Eowyn » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:25 pm

@ jdesilva Did the graduate coordinator tell you anything else... like whether they are going to start making offers from this week or the next? He only told me that they will be done by the end of February... not when they plan to begin, although that does give us some estimate. But it's too hard right now to live with estimates and guesses... some solid piece of news may help :(

coral

Post by coral » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:53 am

Just heard back from UCBerkeley, so would assume that they are beginning to send out news. Applied to the math department with stated interest in applied math.

Will seriously consider attending...

nico

Post by nico » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:37 am

Hi guys, been stalking the forum for a while. Regarding the UIUC email, I got an email from the graduate coordinator today asking me for my grades from last term and planned coursework for the year, informing me I was on their shortlist and that they now had to pass the files on to faculty subcommittees. He also said decisions would come out late Feb.

Hopefully this info helps someone :-)

apollo

Post by apollo » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:22 pm

coral wrote:Just heard back from UCBerkeley, so would assume that they are beginning to send out news. Applied to the math department with stated interest in applied math.

Did they tell you anything about funding?

math789

Post by math789 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:16 pm

apollo wrote:
coral wrote:Just heard back from UCBerkeley, so would assume that they are beginning to send out news. Applied to the math department with stated interest in applied math.

Did they tell you anything about funding?
They said that details about funding will arrive in two weeks

math789

Post by math789 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:21 pm

Gasquet wrote:
math789 wrote:Just got an acceptence from applied math at MIT
Applied math at MIT and pure at Princeton. That's quite a feat. Congratulations.
Thanks! :D

dexter

Post by dexter » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:26 pm

Anybody hear from Columbia today?

apollo

Post by apollo » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:40 pm

dexter wrote:Anybody hear from Columbia today?
I was accepted with full funding :)

marco

Post by marco » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:12 pm

So apparently Berkeley and Columbia have made their moves today. Am i missing some other school?

apollo

Post by apollo » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:24 pm

marco wrote:So apparently Berkeley and Columbia have made their moves today. Am i missing some other school?
Berkeley and Columbia have made a couple moves today. I would be surprised if they don't send out another round soon-ish. By which I mean mid to late february.

Edit: Also, it seems that Berkeley's admits have been applied math candidates.
Last edited by apollo on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RealClosedField

Post by RealClosedField » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:29 pm

apollo wrote: Berkeley and Columbia have made a couple moves today. I would be surprised if they don't send out another round soon-ish. By which I mean mid to late february.
For people who haven't heard from back from most of the schools that seem to have made moves on gradcafe (say Berkeley, MIT, Columbia), is there any consensus on what that means? Are we on a waitlist (which probably won't be used), or have we been rejected and we just won't be emailed? It is probably different for every school but any info would be nice... do schools typically do more than one wave?

apollo

Post by apollo » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:37 pm

RealClosedField wrote:
apollo wrote: Berkeley and Columbia have made a couple moves today. I would be surprised if they don't send out another round soon-ish. By which I mean mid to late february.
For people who haven't heard from back from most of the schools that seem to have made moves on gradcafe (say Berkeley, MIT, Columbia), is there any consensus on what that means? Are we on a waitlist (which probably won't be used), or have we been rejected and we just won't be emailed? It is probably different for every school but any info would be nice... do schools typically do more than one wave?
When comparing this year with last year's gradcafe results, it seems that the departments are behaving differently. Only a couple schools (UCLA and Princeton) have sent out big waves of acceptance/rejection/waitlist emails, whereas most schools did that last year.

I'd be willling to bet that these schools will send out a big wave of admit/reject/waitlist emails in the near future (like mid-late february). Eventually they're going to have to have an official waitlist, and I don't see why they wouldn't notify people that they are on it.