Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
longtm1989

Re: Fall 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Post by longtm1989 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:36 pm

Rikimaru wrote:Yet another day, and no response from Northwestern. Anyone else in the same boat? It's driving me insane!
Same boat! I got no result whatever. Ah, I know I'm not getting in Ohio State, cause when I discovered their website, I saw my application missing all recommendations...

Rikimaru

Post by Rikimaru » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:37 pm

Actually, I Just got an email. Waitlisted. I feel like I took a harpoon to the heart.

math_applicant

Post by math_applicant » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:41 pm

Rikimaru wrote:Actually, I Just got an email. Waitlisted. I feel like I took a harpoon to the heart.
I still got no response (pure math) :roll: I am currently hoping to get such waitlist email :|

Rikimaru

Post by Rikimaru » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:47 pm

It seems like there's still hope for us though.
There is a possibility that we will make further offers on or before March 1 and then again in early April. The exact timing will depend on acceptance and rejections of our earlier offers.
So if anyone is not going, you guys should decline ASAP.

longtm1989

Post by longtm1989 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:22 pm

math_applicant wrote:
Rikimaru wrote:Actually, I Just got an email. Waitlisted. I feel like I took a harpoon to the heart.
I still got no response (pure math) :roll: I am currently hoping to get such waitlist email :|
Me too. Misery loves company :))

allin1

Post by allin1 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:54 pm

Austin wrote:Has anyone heard from Rice? Two results popped up on gradcafe a day or two ago, but I didn't see any more than that. Those may have been preemptive/unofficial, but since Rice is a small school it's also possible that only two of their admits posted.

The reply from the admission committee to my inquiry said that I am currently unlikely to receive offer from Rice and it will be a month or two before they know if they can offer acceptance or not.

My understanding is that they have made their offer and notified them already and they,ll see if they accept it or not and take it from there.

I do not want to think that there is still hope there for me at Rice and want to get on with my other choices. :(

winterman62

Post by winterman62 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:41 pm

So I'm applying to UC Davis, and up until now, it says my app was submitted, and it showed my letter of rec writers right below that. When I logged in now though, it still says my app was submitted, but the letters of rec writers are gone! What do you guys think this means?

longtm1989

Post by longtm1989 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:34 pm

Hopefully there will be some results from Northwestern tomorrow. I looked at the last acceptances from last year, and they were quite early, around this time.

mindreader

Post by mindreader » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:45 pm

Hey guys, I just heard from Carnegie Mellon Ph.D. in Mathematics...I applied for the Applied Analysis Track (Differential Equations) and was admitted with Teaching Assistantship $20025 for 9 months. The first time I've heard from the schools I've applied to :)
Last edited by mindreader on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IIIII

Post by IIIII » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:49 pm

mindreader wrote:Hey guys, I just heard from Carnegie Mellon Ph.D. in Mathematics...I applied for the Applied Analysis Track (Differential Equations) and was admitted with Teaching Assistantship $20000 something per month. The first time I've heard from the schools I've applied to :)
I think you added an extra zero ;)

mindreader

Post by mindreader » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:56 pm

IIIII wrote:
mindreader wrote:Hey guys, I just heard from Carnegie Mellon Ph.D. in Mathematics...I applied for the Applied Analysis Track (Differential Equations) and was admitted with Teaching Assistantship $20000 something per month. The first time I've heard from the schools I've applied to :)
I think you added an extra zero ;)
Yes, sorry about that :) got so excited as it was completely unexpected...

y45askel

Post by y45askel » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:47 pm

longtm1989 wrote:
Rikimaru wrote:Yet another day, and no response from Northwestern. Anyone else in the same boat? It's driving me insane!
Same boat! I got no result whatever. Ah, I know I'm not getting in Ohio State, cause when I discovered their website, I saw my application missing all recommendations...

Mine's the exact same way! I e-mailed them and they said "No one's file is complete till mid-Feb and we decide in March." -_-

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:23 am

Finally heard back from Washington Applied.
First reply. First reject.
No MS admit either as I already have an MS.
In closing, we appreciate your interest in our graduate programs at the University of Washington. Please feel free to reapply in the future. Thank you!
And that is expected to make me feel better? :roll:

By the past results on GC, brown applied is expected to reply before the weekend.

tikalora

Post by tikalora » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:27 am

IIIII wrote:
colldood wrote:Doesn't UT Austin only have one department (applied is not separate)?
What one professor has told me is that the department is technically unified. However, organizationally the applied math section is more autonomous than most unified departments. So how this affects application decision timelines...I do not know.
Another question along these lines: in general, if a department has pure and applied math together, will they send decisions for students who want to study pure math earlier and applied math later? Just wondering. I've seen a good number of schools I've applied to with admissions on GC, but I haven't heard anything, and I'm hoping that's just because I'm applied math.

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:31 am

tikalora wrote:Another question along these lines: in general, if a department has pure and applied math together, will they send decisions for students who want to study pure math earlier and applied math later? Just wondering. I've seen a good number of schools I've applied to with admissions on GC, but I haven't heard anything, and I'm hoping that's just because I'm applied math.
It seems so. (From the places I have applied to) Chicago and Austin have just one department and have replied for pure but not for applied.

marco

Post by marco » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:01 am

Gasquet wrote:
tikalora wrote:Another question along these lines: in general, if a department has pure and applied math together, will they send decisions for students who want to study pure math earlier and applied math later? Just wondering. I've seen a good number of schools I've applied to with admissions on GC, but I haven't heard anything, and I'm hoping that's just because I'm applied math.
It seems so. (From the places I have applied to) Chicago and Austin have just one department and have replied for pure but not for applied.
I really hope this is true :P .

mindreader

Post by mindreader » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:15 am

Gasquet wrote:Finally heard back from Washington Applied.
First reply. First reject.
No MS admit either as I already have an MS.
In closing, we appreciate your interest in our graduate programs at the University of Washington. Please feel free to reapply in the future. Thank you!
And that is expected to make me feel better? :roll:

By the past results on GC, brown applied is expected to reply before the weekend.
Hi Gasquet I also applied to Brown, Cornell, and Columbia for Applied Math...

What you mentioned about Brown, do you mean both admitted and rejected applicants? Also, did you apply to Columbia Math or APAM?

TheYoungin

Post by TheYoungin » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:27 am

Still no decision from Seattle for me. I got two emails from them basically saying they were done making decisions and they were working on letting people know.

I wonder if they're notifying people in alphabetical order by last name...

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:36 am

mindreader wrote:Hi Gasquet I also applied to Brown, Cornell, and Columbia for Applied Math...

What you mentioned about Brown, do you mean both admitted and rejected applicants? Also, did you apply to Columbia Math or APAM?
Hey. Congrats on your admit. $20000 per month. They must really want you :P
Generally rejections follow a few days after admits for Brown applied.
Columbia APAM.
Both Brown applied and APAM(and Princeton PACM) are expected to send replies (admits+rejects+waitlists) by the end of next week.

It seems that you too are interested in computation and PDE?
Where else have you applied?(you can see mine in the profiles thread)

TheYoungin wrote:Still no decision from Seattle for me. I got two emails from them basically saying they were done making decisions and they were working on letting people know.

I wonder if they're notifying people in alphabetical order by last name...
Best of luck for that.
Not trying to bring you down, but it seems by the trend on GC that, bar a few, they sent admits first, then MS admits and rejects last.

mindreader

Post by mindreader » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:31 am

Gasquet wrote:
mindreader wrote:Hi Gasquet I also applied to Brown, Cornell, and Columbia for Applied Math...

Hey. Congrats on your admit. $20000 per month. They must really want you :P
Generally rejections follow a few days after admits for Brown applied.
Columbia APAM.
Both Brown applied and APAM(and Princeton PACM) are expected to send replies (admits+rejects+waitlists) by the end of next week.

It seems that you too are interested in computation and PDE?
Where else have you applied?(you can see mine in the profiles thread)

Thanks, yeah it was a silly mistake. My first time and was unexpected.

I only applied to 4 schools for PhD, namely, in order of preference, Brown DAM, Cornell CAM, Carnegie Mellon, and Columbia APAM. I applied to 5 other schools for MS degree just as a safety option, namely, EPFL Applied Math, UMichigan-Ann Arbor Math, McGill Math, Johns Hopkins Applied Math, and CU Boulder Applied Math. Of course, had I not been admitted to a PhD program, I would be considering the MS program which admitted me with funding.

My mindset was that I wanted to pursue a PhD in a school that I really really like. That includes consideration for the location which explains why I applied to Columbia... And yes, my interests are in differential equations and connections to probability. Nothing concrete though as I only have a BS and my current institution doesn't offer a broad range of graduate courses. The grad program in my school is catered to research so the grad courses are very general and tailored to the needs of the students. as an example, functional analysis isn't offered...

rmg512

Post by rmg512 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:53 am

Well, maybe you will end up accepted at the end of it! You never know! Don't feel too down yet! :)

Langlands

Post by Langlands » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:42 am

Rejection from Northwestern (Pure). I found out through the website and wasn't notified of the decision by email. It was expected given my MGRE scores but still sucks.

math_applicant

Post by math_applicant » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:00 am

Langlands wrote:Rejection from Northwestern (Pure). I found out through the website and wasn't notified of the decision by email. It was expected given my MGRE scores but still sucks.
same here! eyes on Austin and Wisconsin now!

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:02 am

mindreader wrote:My mindset was that I wanted to pursue a PhD in a school that I really really like. That includes consideration for the location which explains why I applied to Columbia... And yes, my interests are in differential equations and connections to probability. Nothing concrete though as I only have a BS and my current institution doesn't offer a broad range of graduate courses. The grad program in my school is catered to research so the grad courses are very general and tailored to the needs of the students. as an example, functional analysis isn't offered...
I guess those of us who don't care about location have it slightly easier. Any admit will do. I just want (at least) a few good professors in my area and of course, a funded PhD.

On another note, have you seen the Applied Math Grad Students page of APAM? According to that, 13 students (of the 31) have Guillaume Bal as their advisor. So, if you are interested in working under him, your chances of admission increases 10 fold. :P

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:21 am

Terrible start for me.
Second reply today. Second reject. Chicago(applied).
Whole bunch of Chicago rejects on GC.

Now I'm scared. Time to start thinking of Plan B.

TheYoungin

Post by TheYoungin » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:28 am

Rejection from Chicago. It was expected, but I have two offers already, so I don't really care :D

marco

Post by marco » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:36 am

Gasquet wrote:Terrible start for me.

Cheer up Gasquet you still have plenty of schools to hear from. Let's hope for the best :) .

Nr

Post by Nr » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:40 am

marco wrote:

Cheer up Gasquet you still have plenty of schools to hear from. Let's hope for the best :) .
marco wrote:

Yeah, seriously ...
I'm exactly down to my last option, which will most likely reject me next week (or the week after that) ...
And then I have to ...
actually I have no idea ... :D

rashomon

Post by rashomon » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:02 pm

Did you ever know that Brown has a cut-off in GRE general? They have cut-off 152 in verbal, and I got 150. And that's why they have declined my application!!!!! I have never seen this restriction in their website. This is really a disappointment!!!!

marco

Post by marco » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:08 pm

rashomon wrote:Did you ever know that Brown has a cut-off in GRE general? They have cut-off 152 in verbal, and I got 150. And that's why they have declined my application!!!!! I have never seen this restriction in their website. This is really a disappointment!!!!
Really? where did you hear that?

mindreader

Post by mindreader » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:10 pm

rashomon wrote:Did you ever know that Brown has a cut-off in GRE general? They have cut-off 152 in verbal, and I got 150. And that's why they have declined my application!!!!! I have never seen this restriction in their website. This is really a disappointment!!!!
IS this Brown pure math or applied math? Please it'd be greatly appreciated...

Manyfolds

Post by Manyfolds » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:18 pm

Hey so for UCLA, my letter says I have funding for four years but in recent years they have been able to fund the fifth year. Is this what everyone got, or did some people get full five years funding?

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:26 pm

@marco, Nr: Thanks. I have not lost all hope. Applied to a lot of places. It's just that each rejection is a lot easier to take when do you don't expect to get it. "Hope for the best, Expect the worst" is IMO, literally the best motto to deal with admissions.

rashomon

Post by rashomon » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:37 pm

marco wrote:
Really? where did you hear that?
I have got a mail from them saying that, you have a good profile, but we have to decline your application because your verbal (150) does not meet our cut off (152)!!! :evil:

rashomon

Post by rashomon » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:37 pm

mindreader wrote:
IS this Brown pure math or applied math? Please it'd be greatly appreciated...
Pure math :(

apollo

Post by apollo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:42 pm

I wonder if they have a cutoff for the writing too...

longtm1989

Post by longtm1989 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:44 pm

I just got waitlisted from Northwestern by email, 2 minutes ago.

Gasquet

Post by Gasquet » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:47 pm

apollo wrote:I wonder if they have a cutoff for the writing too...
I remember reading a post on this forum in one of previous years' threads about someone being rejected due to a combination of low General GRE verbal and writing score.

TheYoungin

Post by TheYoungin » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:47 pm

Admitted to MS at UW-Seattle. Oh well!

Rikimaru

Post by Rikimaru » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:37 pm

Happy Day! Got into Wisconsin. I guess they are finallly sending acceptances now.

virgo

Post by virgo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:31 pm

Got into Wisconsin too.

ajrasmus

Post by ajrasmus » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:35 pm

TheYoungin wrote:Admitted to MS at UW-Seattle. Oh well!
Was that for pure math or applied? I've seen a lot of responses for applied math at UW but none for pure yet.

broken_symlink

Post by broken_symlink » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:37 pm

I haven't heard from any of my schools yet. I'm assuming that at this point I've been rejected from ut austin as I haven't been accepted or waitlisted.

wickerfurniture

Post by wickerfurniture » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:00 pm

All I've heard is the Maryland request for more info. The schools with more of a rolling admissions style give me the most worry...it seems the decisions could come day or night, any day from now to April.

cooltrainer

Post by cooltrainer » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:25 pm

So Cornell Applied Math already made their decisions??

Rice Applied Math told me that they are sending their first-round offers next week.

math_applicant

Post by math_applicant » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:38 pm

(pure math) so far, all wisconsin admits on GC are domestic students, any internationals heard from them yet ? to those who heard back from wisconsin, did they say if they sent out all the decisions yet ?
really bumped at missing out on Northwestern and (pending) Austin, I hope Wisconsin doesn't blow off as well :|

marco

Post by marco » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:47 pm

cooltrainer wrote:So Cornell Applied Math already made their decisions??

Rice Applied Math told me that they are sending their first-round offers next week.
They have probably made some decisions but I don't think they are done sending them.
At least I hope not. Should we be worried? If anyone receives acceptance from anywhere please do tell :P .

holomorphic

Post by holomorphic » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:38 pm

math_applicant wrote:(pure math) so far, all wisconsin admits on GC are domestic students, any internationals heard from them yet ? to those who heard back from wisconsin, did they say if they sent out all the decisions yet ?
really bumped at missing out on Northwestern and (pending) Austin, I hope Wisconsin doesn't blow off as well :|
Yes I am an international student and I have received offer from Wisconsin-Madison via email as well. It includes usual teaching assistanship and first year additional financial awards. This is one of my top choices :)

PS. I have posted in Gradcafe as well. and I am pure math applicant interested in analysis/PDE.

dexter

Post by dexter » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:42 pm

Wow - thegradcafe math* survey is full of Chicago rejections. It's disheartening, but at the same time it tells you how big the competition was to get in.

apollo

Post by apollo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:41 pm

Wow looks like Stanford is sending out some acceptances. Anybody hear back?