subject GRE recommended but not required...

Forum for the GRE subject test in mathematics.
newb

subject GRE recommended but not required...

Post by newb » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:53 pm

Hi all,

I am pretty sure I did horribly on the math subject exam.
But would it matter that much? I am applying to applied math programs. All other parts of my application are strong.
For all the schools that recommend the subject exam but do not require it, should I send them score reports or report how I did at all??
The "but not required" part makes me want to NOT submit my score.

I have taken all the core math courses so they might think it suspicious if I leave the subject GRE blank.

Any thoughts? I really appreciate any advice on this.

Terribly bummed,
Newb.

Nameless

Post by Nameless » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:57 am

Hi all,

I am pretty sure I did horribly on the math subject exam.
But would it matter that much? I am applying to applied math programs. All other parts of my application are strong.
For all the schools that recommend the subject exam but do not require it, should I send them score reports or report how I did at all??
The "but not required" part makes me want to NOT submit my score.

I have taken all the core math courses so they might think it suspicious if I leave the subject GRE blank.

Any thoughts? I really appreciate any advice on this.

Terribly bummed,
Newb.

Hello,
Having break so... :D I just want to write what I know and if you guys know please share your ideas

What do you mean "horribly"? how about your score? if it is over 70 percent I think you should send it. It is below 70 then skip it
Some schools such as Ohio State say that if you have already got a Master's degree in mathematics then GRE maths is waived
Some schools, even though they say that GRE maths is strongly recommended, do not look at your application if you do not send GRE maths :D

if your score is low ( just "IF") but you are required to send your score then I think you go to department website to choose an academic advisor, persuading him by "wing words" :D like I like to work with you, you are the only I want to be advised but because I was too buzy, etc my GRE maths score is not good enough...blah, blah...If lucky he will give strong lobby

Or to contact with graduate chairs of departments you are applying and they may give some advices.

hope that help

Good luck
Last edited by Nameless on Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

newb

Post by newb » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:42 am

Thanks, Nameless.
Your advice helped a lot :)

lime

Post by lime » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:51 pm

No way. You cannot not send subject score if you send general score. They will come together.

Nameless

Post by Nameless » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:58 pm

lime,
You can choose what kind of score you want to send.
It cost $20 for each additional score report BUT if you take both GRE tests and want to send them both then you have only to pay $20 for each additional score report ( it means you can save $20 :D )

lime

Post by lime » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:36 pm

You didn't get me. :D

The guy asks whether he should show his subject score or conceal it and I mean that he cannot do the second one.

moo5003

Post by moo5003 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:29 am

But he can, you can choose just to send general scores.

Careful though, many schools that say they just strongly recommend SUBJECT GRE scores sometimes don't even look at accepting people who don't send them (Because everyone else did)

yzfossil

Post by yzfossil » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:26 pm

I took the Bio subject in 2004, and the score is really low. I requested ETS to send only my general GRE scores to graduate schools. Today I just received the confirmation letter and I found my subject scores was sent as well. Damn ETS. Those people are just a bunch of idiots and they only suck money.

moo5003

Post by moo5003 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:56 pm

that does suck yzfossil. How did you request them be sent? Via internet, mail, etc etc?

mathrun

Re: subject GRE recommended but not required...

Post by mathrun » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:46 pm

Nameless,
What other schools do you know that waive the math GRE for students who have a Masters?

Nameless

Re: subject GRE recommended but not required...

Post by Nameless » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:49 pm

Hi mathrun

Ohio State for example, you can go to their website and find out more. But I think if having time, you should take GRE Math then you have more options.